good camping sites for beginners in new york/new england?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Edge215

good camping sites for beginners in new york/new england?

Post by Edge215 »

any recommendations for camp sites in new york/new england for family with young kids? we've never been camping before. any tips welcome!
David Jay

Re: good camping sites for beginners in new york/new england?

Post by David Jay »

"Allstays" is an excellent app. It is not free, but it is something under 20 bucks ($12.95? I bought it 5 years ago).

It shows all campgrounds and other related facilities (dump stations, etc.) on a map. When you click on a campground it brings up information plus reviews.
It's not an engineering problem - Hersh Shefrin | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I'd start in your backyard if you have one. Then maybe graduate to the closest state park because you can probably park your vehicle next to your tent. Or are you intending to stay in a recreational vehicle? Some people want toilets, showers, and running potable water, but those things are something that are not required for others.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Agree with livesoft about starting in the backyard, if you've never done it before. Get the kids used to the tent, the sleeping bags, etc. If you haven't done it recently you might be surprised at how outdoorsy sleeping in a backyard can be, you will hear night sounds you don't hear from inside the house.

Just a single data point, and not a recent stay: we loved Letchworth State Park in New York State. The campground was sort of typical/average, but easy walks and hikes to look at the (three) waterfalls, and a quirky little museum but something to do, and I visited the dam, where you can get a guided tour that takes you... down into the center of the dam.

The campground is your just-a-campground, sites that have a decent area to pitch a tent, bathrooms, showers, a short walk to a water faucet, etc. But no resort stuff, no store, no mini-golf, etc.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Some of the NY state parks are really interesting and have have excellent camping. I think my favorite was Watkins Glen, but Glimmerglass was nice too. Especially if you like baseball.
Circe

Post by Circe »

I was going to recommend Letchworth also. In addition to tent sites, they have cabins as do other state parks that might be a helpful transition to camping. Years ago as a young adult, I started camping with a friend at sites along the AT but I didn't have kids. Your needs will be quite different.

I got sent to camp as a kid (my parents preferred golf to camping) and learned to enjoy it there. Now I'm back to liking cabins.
Watty

Post by Watty »

I am not at all familiar with that part of the country but a few general tips;

1) Try to stay away from campgrounds at a lake where there will likely be a lot people with motor boats. They are likely looking for a different experience and are often more party oriented.

2) If possible try to get a campsite in a tent only area so you are away from RVs.

3) Get a good pad to put your sleeping bag on since that will make a huge difference.

4) Have shoes or sandals that you can easily slip on to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night.

5) Cooking in a campground requires some extra preparation and work. When camping I will sometimes just have a menu like;
1) Breakfast, hot instant cereal and hot water for hot chocolate, tea, or a coffee press.
2) Lunch, sandwiches, chips, etc.
3) Diner: One person goes out to get takeout food and brings it back to the campsite. Obviously that will not work in remote areas but many state parks have a good size town ten minutes outside the park.

Be sure to secure your food! Even if there are not bears there will be raccoons and squirrels that will get into it.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

quantAndHold wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:09 pm Some of the NY state parks are really interesting and have have excellent camping. I think my favorite was Watkins Glen, but Glimmerglass was nice too. Especially if you like baseball.
We thought Watkins Glen was sensational. It is a winding path along the bottom of a gorge, easy walk with dozens of dramatic waterfall-ish rapids and things. To be sure, there was plenty of company the two days we did it. We didn't camp around there so can't say anything about a campsite.

Since cabins have been mentioned, another thing I will add is that my wife and I do like KOAs in general. (Those who hate them, peace). Particularly with kids, one of their "Vacation" or "Resort" campgrounds is not a bad idea because of various kid-oriented things. Not necessarily always mini-golf, but that sort of thing. They are not cheap, and they keep ratcheting up the luxury and price of their various cabins. We can like the old-style cabins WITHOUT indoor plumbing but they are harder and harder to find. In effect a KOA, especially their "deluxe" cabins, are really just like a motel room, that except when you walk out of your door you in a place we like better than being practically inside the loop of a cloverleaf and no place to walk. Plus you get to cook at your campsite which is more fun and saves money than being forced to eat at a restaurant.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
ClassOf2021

Post by ClassOf2021 »

When our kids were young we had a few camping areas we liked … we live in NJ:

1. Cabins at worlds end state park in PA in the fall with other families when they were 2-5 years old. Little hikes, fires and plying with other kids.
2. Tent camping at fish creek pond in the Adirondacks in late august when they were 6-9 years old. Hiking canoeing, fishing, swimming, kids mountain biking, and park games.
3. Boundary waters wilderness canoeing 10 years old and up …I know Minnesota is not in the NE but we still love it.
Commentariat

Post by Commentariat »

Made an account to reply to this topic.

Letchworth is a mixed bag. It's great fun for the adults but not as much for kids. Ten miles down the road in Dansville is Stony Brook SP. That's a lot more child oriented with a fun gorge trail, natural guarded swimming area and engaging playgrounds. Your camping pass will get you into Letchworth for a day visit if desired. It's also closer to grocery stores for last minute things.

DEC campgrounds are a spot on the ground and a bath house somewhere. The scenery is gorgeous typically. But the only child activities at the campground are swimming, whatever activities you brought and whatever nature offers. They also typically lack cell service.

For a first trip plan on going local and give yourself plenty of time to set up. Expect things to go wrong and take longer than expected. The little humans will blow past their bedtime the first night or two. All your clothing will smell of wood smoke. Making smores is harder than it looks without catching the marshmallows on fire. And your first trip will be an overpacked organization nightmare. That was my experience learning to camp with little humans in tow.
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

For tent camping, I prefer more privacy and peacefulness with walk in sites (IE .1 to .25 mile off the road/parking), not near other sites or RVs. I'm not familiar with the area your in, but that's what I look for.

The closer you are to others, the more risk of annoyances.
alpenglow

Post by alpenglow »

Backyard first is a great suggestion. We've enjoyed camping in Groton State Forest (VT), Little River (VT - Waterbury), and Lamoine State Park (ME). The worst place we camped was in Myles Standish State Forest (MA). The sites were on top of one other, the rangers were unfriendly, there was broken glass, and the bathrooms were disgusting. That one was terrible.
MJS

Post by MJS »

alpenglow wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:44 am Backyard first is a great suggestion. ...
Do backyard cooking with your campstove, too. Pop-top cans of stew or chile are great. (However, the experience of being hungry, having a can of food, but no can-opener is extraordinarily memorable.) Have your kids (over 10) make their own stoves: https://makezine.com/projects/tin-can-cooker/ . Note that using cans of Sterno is easier than cardboard & wax....
Ipsa scientia potestas est. Bacon F.
alpenglow

Post by alpenglow »

MJS wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:12 pm
alpenglow wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:44 am Backyard first is a great suggestion. ...
Do backyard cooking with your campstove, too. Pop-top cans of stew or chile are great. (However, the experience of being hungry, having a can of food, but no can-opener is extraordinarily memorable.) Have your kids (over 10) make their own stoves: https://makezine.com/projects/tin-can-cooker/ . Note that using cans of Sterno is easier than cardboard & wax....
That brings back good memories of my first camping stove when I started in Boy Scouts!
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I was speaking to a friend of mine this morning who lives in NYC and their first ever camping experience came up which happened in the past few years while they were in their 40s. They could be the OP. The bottom line: Their experience was "good" because it was so terribly bad that they will never ever go camping again. I think they will stick to hotel camping from now on.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

We have had a family with two toddlers camp next to us who left before bedtime. Terminal child unhappiness was the diagnosis. We were very glad they left. The crying was getting on our nerves.
eddot98

Post by eddot98 »

Lake George, NY has a few campgrounds and there is a lot to do with little ones in summer there.
Topic Author
Edge215

Post by Edge215 »

livesoft wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:53 pm I was speaking to a friend of mine this morning who lives in NYC and their first ever camping experience came up which happened in the past few years while they were in their 40s. They could be the OP. The bottom line: Their experience was "good" because it was so terribly bad that they will never ever go camping again. I think they will stick to hotel camping from now on.
hahah. sounds about right
ItzaHoot

Post by ItzaHoot »

Especially for a young family, or anyone, with no experience, start out in the backyard, at friend house or farm, or somewhere you can hit the "Emergency Abort" button if you run into problems.

Here are a few reason to do the backyard experience first.
1. Setting up your tent for the first time is always an experience and generally more time consuming than you expect. "Sets up in 60 seconds" is advertising, seldom fact.
2. If equipment fails to meet expectation, such as a leaky tent or sleeping bags that don't keep you warm, just scoot back in the house for the night and regroup the next day.
3. You can create a checklist for equipment and supplies and adjust it or correct your needs immediately. I've been on many trips with Scouts when the morning questions from boys (or adults) started with "do you have ... I can borrow?' Items ranged from matches or lighters, to stove fuel (or even a stove), salt, pepper, seasoning, cooking or eating utensils, pots, pans, ingredients (hint - you can use mayo to replace butter when frying food), even warm socks when winter camping. I even was asked if I have a spare dutch oven one time.
4. Whatever you do, create checklists. have one for the group equipment (tent, stoves, fuel, pots and pans, sleeping gear, basic consumables (matches, lighter, salt, pepper, butter, oil, food staple),etc. Have separate lists for each family member. Clothing, weather appropriate gear such as coats, sweaters, rain gear, toiletries, medications.
5. Create a first aid kit that includes OTC medications (such as a supply of aspirin/naproxen/acetaminophen, allergy, sun burn, antibiotics, etc), basics such as adhesive bandages, gauze pads, tape, scissors, knife, self adhesive stretch bandages, triangular bandage, etc., all of which can be store in a sealable food storage bag. Mine also includes splint kits, wound/blood clotting kits (at least a styptic pencil), and a professional/emergency tourniquet kit.

Other than that, I would recommend making reservations (if available) at a nearby state or federal park for a follow up camping trip after the initial backyard break in trial. I have also seen local (city or county) parks. You probably have one or more nearby parks offering camping that you could swing by one day and scope them out.