Mail in passport renewal

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
KlangFool

Mail in passport renewal

Post by KlangFool »

Folks,

What service do you use to mail in the US passport renewal?

Thanks in advance.

KlangFool
30% VWENX | 16% VFWAX/VTIAX | 14.5% VTSAX | 19.5% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 30% Wellington 50% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
livesoft

Re: Mail in passport renewal

Post by livesoft »

USPS and Bundespost.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Topic Author
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

livesoft wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:25 pm USPS and Bundespost.
Do you use priority mail of the USPS?

Thanks.

KlangFool
30% VWENX | 16% VFWAX/VTIAX | 14.5% VTSAX | 19.5% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 30% Wellington 50% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
tfunk

Post by tfunk »

I heard a news story yesterday that said 500,000 passport applications per week were coming in and causing delays. I would pay the extra fee for expediting no matter how far out I needed the passport. I always use USPS Priority Express and include the fee for Express return. If a renewal, they will send your old, cancelled passport back by regular mail.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

KlangFool wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:30 pm

Thanks.

KlangFool
No. My spouse got a renewal recently in 6 weeks.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
abracadabra11

Post by abracadabra11 »

We did our renewal online. Passport arrived 6 weeks after submission.
Topic Author
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

livesoft wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:36 pm

Thanks.

KlangFool
Thanks.

KlangFool
noraz123

Post by noraz123 »

KlangFool wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:19 pm Folks,

Thanks in advance.

KlangFool
Perhaps too naive, but I recently sent in my old passport and paperwork via regular usps.

I was able to check status this past week on their website and it showed it was received a few days after mailing it.
Topic Author
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

noraz123 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:50 pm

Thanks in advance.

KlangFool
Perhaps too naive, but I recently sent in my old passport and paperwork via regular usps.

I was able to check status this past week on their website and it showed it was received a few days after mailing it.
You are probably a lucky person. In my case, counting on luck usually does not work out for me.

KlangFool
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

USPS Priority that provides a tracking number. Turnaround time approx 4 weeks. Ymmv.
Topic Author
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

bob60014 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:54 pm USPS Priority that provides a tracking number. Turnaround time approx 4 weeks. Ymmv.
Thanks.

KlangFool
helloeveryone

Post by helloeveryone »

livesoft wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:36 pm

Thanks.

KlangFool

We completed a renewal online January 8th - no update on website and no passport yet. But it does indicate renewals takes 8-11 weeks.
clemrick

Post by clemrick »

I renewed my passport last fall and was told I HAD to use the USPS priority envelop. Instructions from our local library that provides passport services. Got my passport in less than six weeks.
Topic Author
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

clemrick wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:27 pm I renewed my passport last fall and was told I HAD to use the USPS priority envelop. Instructions from our local library that provides passport services. Got my passport in less than six weeks.
Thanks.

KlangFool
henry

Post by henry »

FYI, Secretary of State Anthony Blinken says it is up to 10 to 13 weeks for passport renewal now.

Passport renewals backlogged due to post-pandemic travel surge
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnZ-Ii5z4Ps
tomsense76

Post by tomsense76 »

abracadabra11 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:43 pm We did our renewal online. Passport arrived 6 weeks after submission.
Interesting. What did you need to do to renew it online?

Last time I renewed this wasn't an option I don't think.
"Anyone who claims to understand quantum theory is either lying or crazy" -- Richard Feynman
lazybones18

Post by lazybones18 »

Not renewal

But I went to the passport mega office to get my newborn son new passport. We did expedited service and got the passport in 4 weeks

The new design and security features are pretty awesome
jpsfranks

Post by jpsfranks »

We submitted an online renewal application last Sunday with expedited shipping and just received a tracking number that shows a Monday delivery. If so it will have been an 8-day turn around.
abracadabra11

Post by abracadabra11 »

tomsense76 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:55 pm Interesting. What did you need to do to renew it online?

Last time I renewed this wasn't an option I don't think.
https://travel.state.gov/content/travel ... nline.html

Looks like online renewals may be paused.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

My wife recently got her passport renewed and was surprised that they did not return the old passport; in the past, the old passport would be returned with a hole punched in it. She inquired (there was a needed visa in the old passport) and was told that the old passport would arrive under separate cover.

It would have been more efficient to mail old and new passport in one mailing, but the old passport did arrive a week or two later.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
faanger101

Post by faanger101 »

henry wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:51 pm FYI, Secretary of State Anthony Blinken says it is up to 10 to 13 weeks for passport renewal now.

Interesting, how long ppl will keep blaming pandemic for any problem / inefficiency they see :confused
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

Thanks in advance.

KlangFool
U.S. Post Office. I used priority mail and had a tracker put on the renewal package so that I knew it was delivered. With the tracking number, you can follow the delivery process on the internet. It was $160 to renew the passport and passport card plus $8-$9 to mail. FedEx had a service but it was something like $400 and I thought that was way too much.
A fool and his money are good for business.
Topic Author
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

Folks,

For people that choose expedite processing and 1-2 day delivery, how do you indicate that is what you want? There is nothing on the form to indicate that. Do you just mail your form the expedite facility and pay the extra fees on your check?

Thanks in advance.

KlangFool
prudent

Post by prudent »

A relative mailed in a renewal in on Feb 1 and received it March 23. Not expedited.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

KlangFool wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:49 am Folks,

For people that choose expedite processing and 1-2 day delivery, how do you indicate that is what you want? There is nothing on the form to indicate that. Do you just mail your form the expedite facility and pay the extra fees on your check?

Thanks in advance.

KlangFool
There is a different PO box for expedite. Pay the $190.
The instructions also say to write "expedite" on the front of the envelope.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

jpsfranks wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:12 pm We submitted an online renewal application last Sunday with expedited shipping and just received a tracking number that shows a Monday delivery. If so it will have been an 8-day turn around.
You must have gotten in right at the end. Online renewals are now paused.
Topic Author
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

stan1 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:54 am
KlangFool wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:49 am Folks,

Thanks in advance.

KlangFool
There is a different PO box for expedite. Pay the $190.
The instructions also say to write "expedite" on the front of the envelope.
Thanks. Do I just pay the extra $19 for the 1-2 day delivery?

KlangFool
Beachey

Post by Beachey »

We just renewed my daughters, because she is a minor we had to do it in person. I was able to get an appointment within a few days (this was the end of December). We did pay to expedite but I did not pay for USPS express service. We received it the end of January (so about ~ 4 weeks by expedite) as we traveled out of the country in February.

I think it makes sense to use USPS Priority mail for the traceability. By regular mail, we got the passport within a few days. When you give them your email they send you updates that are almost as good as the Priority traceability on sending to you but sending it in might be more of a black hole.
Topic Author
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

Beachey wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:06 am We just renewed my daughters, because she is a minor we had to do it in person. I was able to get an appointment within a few days (this was the end of December). We did pay to expedite but I did not pay for USPS express service. We received it the end of January (so about ~ 4 weeks by expedite) as we traveled out of the country in February.

I think it makes sense to use USPS Priority mail for the traceability. By regular mail, we got the passport within a few days. When you give them your email they send you updates that are almost as good as the Priority traceability on sending to you but sending it in might be more of a black hole.
Thanks.

KlangFool
jpsfranks

Post by jpsfranks »

stan1 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:56 am
jpsfranks wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:12 pm We submitted an online renewal application last Sunday with expedited shipping and just received a tracking number that shows a Monday delivery. If so it will have been an 8-day turn around.
You must have gotten in right at the end. Online renewals are now paused.
We started an application a while back but didn't get around to taking a photo until last week. Initiating the application must have gotten our foot in the door, so to speak.
mbres60

Post by mbres60 »

I recently renewed my passport. I sent it through the USPS probably Priority mail because I got a tracking number. I did this February 11. I received it about a week ago. It is dated March 10. I have not received my old one back yet.

FYI- when I had looked online to see how to renew it looked like they had stopped allowing you to renew online recently.
mbres60

Post by mbres60 »

Update: I received my old one in the mail today.
liquidassets

Post by liquidassets »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:40 am My wife recently got her passport renewed and was surprised that they did not return the old passport; in the past, the old passport would be returned with a hole punched in it. She inquired (there was a needed visa in the old passport) and was told that the old passport would arrive under separate cover.

It would have been more efficient to mail old and new passport in one mailing, but the old passport did arrive a week or two later.
Note the return addresses. The old passport is usually sent from a separate office than the passport centers that create passports. Sending them together to you would require additional steps and first mailing them to one consolidated shipping office first.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

liquidassets wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:08 pm
TomatoTomahto wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:40 am My wife recently got her passport renewed and was surprised that they did not return the old passport; in the past, the old passport would be returned with a hole punched in it. She inquired (there was a needed visa in the old passport) and was told that the old passport would arrive under separate cover.

Note the return addresses. The old passport is usually sent from a separate office than the passport centers that create passports. Sending them together to you would require additional steps and first mailing them to one consolidated shipping office first.
Too late to check (no longer have envelopes), but that makes sense. Thanks.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
liquidassets

Post by liquidassets »

henry wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:51 pm FYI, Secretary of State Anthony Blinken says it is up to 10 to 13 weeks for passport renewal now.

From last fall through much of the winter, most Non expedited mail in passport renewals and applications were taking 5-7 weeks to receive the new passport. After early February, the timelines have been increasing substantially due to typical season increased volume. Many folks are thinking of summer trips and getting their passports in order this time of year. There is still an imbalance due to people letting passports expire 2020-2021 or not getting new passports then, so the spring increase is much bigger than in the past, much like we saw in 2022.

In 9-10 years, we will probably see a similar surge, but likely less than right now.

I would use priority mail or something trackable to send in applications and old passports.
seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 »

faanger101 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:46 am

Interesting, how long ppl will keep blaming pandemic for any problem / inefficiency they see :confused
Sounds accurate but to me. People didn’t travel due to lockdowns so they didn’t apply for a passport. Now they are traveling so the volumes are higher than a normal pre-Covid summer.

Same for trusted traveler interviews. Interviews were paused so now there is a wait.
liquidassets

Post by liquidassets »

faanger101 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:46 am

No “blame,” just facts. State is handling unprecedented passport demand right now, following several years of reduced or no international travel when citizens were not applying for new passports or renewing passports. Processing times were about normal throughout most of this winter, but there has an avalanche of applications from mid February. I always recommend applying for passports October-November rather than March each year, but demand is significantly higher this year. This year’s surge trend will reverse in time.
noraz123

Post by noraz123 »

KlangFool wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:51 pm
noraz123 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:50 pm

Thanks in advance.

KlangFool

You are probably a lucky person. In my case, counting on luck usually does not work out for me.

KlangFool
After reading your original post, I realized I likely was not taking enough precautions. My wife's passport will need to be renewed next year, after reading your post and the additional feedback, we'll use tracking.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

I can now report there is no delay with check cashing. I mailed my application and old passport in on Thursday 3/23 by first class mail. I paid for expedited handling but not shipping, and the $190 check cleared Weds 3/29. I'll let everyone know when I get the new passport.
Metsfan91

Post by Metsfan91 »

USPS certified return receipt. I gotta have proof of delivery.
"Know what you own, and know why you own it." — Peter Lynch
stan1

Post by stan1 »

stan1 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:34 pm I can now report there is no delay with check cashing. I mailed my application and old passport in on Thursday 3/23 by first class mail. I paid for expedited handling but not shipping, and the $190 check cleared Weds 3/29. I'll let everyone know when I get the new passport.
There are a lot of passport threads, but to close this out and offer a data point of one I mailed it in by First Class mail on Thursday 3/23. I paid for the expedited service but not shipping. They sent it expedited shipping anyways and it got here on Monday 5/8 so that's about 6 weeks from when they received it.

I signed up for email notifications on status changes; never got any. The passport status website did update.

I'm noting a lot of changes to the passport itself that are new to us. There's now an alpha character in the passport number and the page with the photos has much thicker plastic lamination and feels more like an oversized drivers license stuck into the book (since my last passport issued in 2013). Now to update all of the various websites with the new information.
celia

Post by celia »

stan1 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 2:53 pm Now to update all of the various websites with the new information.
Why would you give new personal data to any websites before it is required? And who even requires it? (I’m thinking of privacy and security here.)
stan1

Post by stan1 »

celia wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 3:47 pm
stan1 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 2:53 pm Now to update all of the various websites with the new information.
Why would you give new personal data to any websites before it is required? And who even requires it? (I’m thinking of privacy and security here.)
Multiple airlines, my employer, and Global Entry have my passport information.
jfn111

Post by jfn111 »

Just for reference I mailed my passport renewal in on Friday Aug. 10th. I paid for expedited service and they cashed the check on Aug. 15th. I received the passport yesterday on Sept. 9th. 29 days total.
DetroitRick

Post by DetroitRick »

My recent example:

Mailed renewal application - 8/1/23 (Priority Mail Express)
Received book - 9/2/23 (regular mail)
Received card - 9/6/23 (regular mail)
Received old book and card back - 9/8/23
guyfromct

Post by guyfromct »

KlangFool wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:56 pm
bob60014 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:54 pm USPS Priority that provides a tracking number. Turnaround time approx 4 weeks. Ymmv.
Thanks.

KlangFool
Pony up for priority and renew online, also consider the passport card for land and sea if you go to Mexico/Canada/Caribbean/Bermuda.
Topic Author
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

guyfromct wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:43 am
Thanks.

KlangFool
Pony up for priority and renew online, also consider the passport card for land and sea if you go to Mexico/Canada/Caribbean/Bermuda.
Renewal online was suspended when I was renewing my passport.

KlangFool
pizzy

Post by pizzy »

Thanks.

KlangFool
Online renewal has been suspended since March 2023
Vanguard/Fidelity | 76% US Stock | 16% Int'l Stock | 8% Cash
guyfromct

Post by guyfromct »

KlangFool wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:53 am
Thanks.

KlangFool

KlangFool
That’s unfortunate, still consider the passport card if you do cruises, can also use it if you don’t have a Real ID for domestic flights.
Topic Author
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

guyfromct wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:58 am
KlangFool wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:53 am
Thanks.

KlangFool

KlangFool
That’s unfortunate, still consider the passport card if you do cruises, can also use it if you don’t have a Real ID for domestic flights.
Yes, I renewed my passport card too.

KlangFool