Amazon Smile: John C Bogle Center

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
Pete12

Amazon Smile: John C Bogle Center

Post by Pete12 »

Bogleheads:

For the past few months whenever ordering something from Amazon.com, I have used Amazon Smile to get a donation to the John C Bogle Center for Financial Literacy.

An interesting link popped up today when placing an order which allows one to see the amount donated so far. The grand total of $183.19! Come on, we can do better than this!!

Ervin

Re: Amazon Smile: John C Bogle Center

Post by Ervin »

Thanks for pointing this out. I have just switched my Amazon Smile contribution accordingly.
RIP, Mr. Bogle.
dotstar

Post by dotstar »

I believe the charity of note at smile.amazon.com is:

JOHN C BOGLE CENTER FOR FINANCIAL LITERACY

_
Liberty1100

Post by Liberty1100 »

I couldn't find more about the JOHN C BOGLE CENTER FOR FINANCIAL LITERACY from a quick google search. Can someone provide more information about it?
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

Liberty1100 wrote:I couldn't find more about the JOHN C BOGLE CENTER FOR FINANCIAL LITERACY from a quick google search. Can someone provide more information about it?
viewtopic.php?t=209861K
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
kazper

Post by kazper »

Big fan of amazon smile, but I wish they gave more. My wife's work has an amazon smile account, they are a nonprofit helping people with disabilities. It probably adds a few dollars to their account, but not much.
N10sive

Post by N10sive »

kazper wrote:Big fan of amazon smile, but I wish they gave more. My wife's work has an amazon smile account, they are a nonprofit helping people with disabilities. It probably adds a few dollars to their account, but not much.
It would be nice if a little more was given. I support a local animal rescue that my sister works with. I have quite a few people who use my amazon account and we have collectively given 1/3rd of the donations over the course of likely 3 years. That equates to roughly 1 dollar a month
brokendirtdart

Post by brokendirtdart »

I would like to see Smile offered through Amazon's IOS app. As it is now, I will occasionally save items to my list on the app and then wait until I get to my home computer to order via Smile. A minor inconvenience, but when away from home I'll only use IOS apps.

I too would like to see them give more. Out of 95 listed Smile orders, all I have generated is 18.06 to my chosen charity.

For the record, the order total seems "off" as I made 136 combined Smile and regular orders in 2016 and 133 in 2015 with similar numbers for years. Surely I would have more Smile qualified orders.

Just grousing a bit. Smile appears to be a good program to me and I'm happy to buy through that portal. :happy
Ice-9

Post by Ice-9 »

Wow, I think I must be behind the times, as I use Amazon all the time and never knew about Amazon Smile. I've added the Bogle Center as my donation and made my first purchases, which should add another $0.40 to the Bogle total once the order processes. :D

Thanks for the heads up!
Topic Author
Pete12

Post by Pete12 »

Just ordered a rather expensive toner cartridge from Amazon this morning - should be a few more pennies for the cause!
Liberty1100

Post by Liberty1100 »

For those following this, from this discussion, I developed the following page for Boglecenter.net describing the Amazon Smile program and how it benefits the Center.

I'm taking feedback on how to describe the program better. Feel free to PM me.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

The center has a great purpose: investing advice inspired by Jack Bogle!
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Liberty1100 wrote:For those following this, from this discussion, I developed the following page for Boglecenter.net describing the Amazon Smile program and how it benefits the Center.

I'm taking feedback on how to describe the program better. Feel free to PM me.
Your description of how the Amazon Smile plan can work to benefit The Bogle Center looks just fine to me.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
xenial

Post by xenial »

Which provides the larger donation to the Bogle Center: Amazon Smile or the Amazon link in the "Support This Site" box on the bogleheads.org homepage?
Barry Barnitz
Wiki Admin

Post by Barry Barnitz »

xenial wrote:Which provides the larger donation to the Bogle Center: Amazon Smile or the Amazon link in the "Support This Site" box on the bogleheads.org homepage?
These are two separate entities:

The Amazon smile program being discussed sends donations to the Bogle Center: Questions and answers | The John C. Bogle Center for Financial Literacy

The Amazon link in the "Support This Site" box sends the donation to bogleheads.org. to help the founders and proprietors of the site (Alex and Larry) defray operating costs.

regards
Additional administrative tasks: Financial Page bogleheads.org. blog; finiki the Canadian wiki; The Bogle Center for Financial Literacy site; La Guía Bogleheads® España site.
MrNewEngland

Post by MrNewEngland »

Ice-9 wrote:Wow, I think I must be behind the times, as I use Amazon all the time and never knew about Amazon Smile. I've added the Bogle Center as my donation and made my first purchases, which should add another $0.40 to the Bogle total once the order processes. :D

Thanks for the heads up!
I buy a lot from Amazon as well, and I knew nothing about Amazon Smile. I have some googling to do.
Kitty Telltales

Post by Kitty Telltales »

Added the John C. Bogle Center to Amazon Smile :happy today.
TIAX

Post by TIAX »

Barry Barnitz wrote:
xenial wrote:Which provides the larger donation to the Bogle Center: Amazon Smile or the Amazon link in the "Support This Site" box on the bogleheads.org homepage?
These are two separate entities:

The Amazon smile program being discussed sends donations to the Bogle Center: Questions and answers | The John C. Bogle Center for Financial Literacy

The Amazon link in the "Support This Site" box sends the donation to bogleheads.org. to help the founders and proprietors of the site (Alex and Larry) defray operating costs.

regards
I believe the Bogle Center donates to the site.
Ice-9

Post by Ice-9 »

Perhaps in part due to this post, Boglehead contributions have apparently increased since February!
CABob

Post by CABob »

Can one contribute to the Bogleheads using the Amazon link on the home page and also to the Bogle Center through the Smile process or is it one or the other?
Bob
Ice-9

Post by Ice-9 »

CABob wrote:Can one contribute to the Bogleheads using the Amazon link on the home page and also to the Bogle Center through the Smile process or is it one or the other?
I've been going to the affiliate link from the home page and then clicking in the URL bar at the top of the browser and replacing "www" with "smile." The part of the URL that indicates the referral appears to remain after that, so I'm pretty sure it's giving both ways.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

I've generated $5.94 for Worldreader.org, but just switched my chosen charity.
sschullo

Post by sschullo »

Thanks for pointing this very important fundraiser feature. It still takes good ole fashion money, resources, volunteers' skills and talents to PR the Boglehead Way to more and more people.
Never in the history of market day-traders’ has the obsession with so much massive, sophisticated, & powerful statistical machinery used by the brightest people on earth with such useless results.
Topic Author
Pete12

Post by Pete12 »

Thought I would post an update to this, more donations have come in but still a long way to go! I imagine a tremendous amount of money could be raised if every Amazon shopper here reading this made the switch!
Ice-9

Post by Ice-9 »

Sorry to bring up this old thread. A number of Bogleheads including myself donated via Amazon Smile, even in combination with the referral URL.

Amazon Smile appears to have ceased. I guess we still have the referral link to use with our Amazon purchases.
https://smile.amazon.com/charity/thankyou