iPhone subscription problem, Apple Support = no support

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
LaurenRose

iPhone subscription problem, Apple Support = no support

Post by LaurenRose »

I've been on chat and phone with Apple for almost 2 hours, they don't seem to know how to fix this issue.

Maybe someone here has encountered it?

I had a YouTube Premium subscription that I used on my MacBook and iPhone (13).

The credit card on the account expired, so I had to sign up all over again and of course, add a new card and pay.

I did that. Now I can access YouTube Premium on my laptop but cannot get it to load onto the iPhone.

I have turned the phone off and back on - that did not work.

I have logged out of my Apple ID on the phone and logged back in - that did not work.

Apple seems puzzled....that's not a good sign.

Anyone have any other suggestions?
Kenkat

Re: iPhone subscription problem, Apple Support = no support

Post by Kenkat »

Log out of YouTube on your iPhone and log back in. If that doesn’t work, delete the YouTube app on your iPhone, go to the Apple App Store and re-install the app. Then log in to YouTube on your iPhone.

The reason Apple is not able to help you is because this is probably an issue with the YouTube app itself, not Apple.
Galt guy

Post by Galt guy »

Kenkat wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:13 pm Log out of YouTube on your iPhone and log back in. If that doesn’t work, delete the YouTube app on your iPhone, go to the Apple App Store and re-install the app. Then log in to YouTube on your iPhone.

The reason Apple is not able to help you is because this is probably an issue with the YouTube app itself, not Apple.
+1
Topic Author
LaurenRose

Post by LaurenRose »

As I said, I tried that already - both of those options

Just tried it again - it's not fixing the issue
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

Your original post did not make any reference to deleting the YouTube app from your phone or re-installing it from the App Store. You also said you logged out of your Apple ID on your iPhone; you did not say you logged out of the YouTube app itself on the iPhone.

To delete the YouTube app from your iPhone, long press it and select Remove App (in Red).
chinchin

Post by chinchin »

If you signed up for Premium on the laptop, the Premium status is tied to whatever Google account you used when you signed up. It sounds like you are trying to log in to Premium using your Apple ID on your iPhone. That will not work. Your Google account is separate from your Apple account. Sign in to your Google account on the YouTube app on your iPhone, that might work.
not financial advice
student

Post by student »

Try the suggestions by the two posters immediately preceding this.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

Just to add clarification, you can subscribe to YouTube Premium directly through Google. Or you can subscribe through Apple so that it shows up as a subscription in Settings. You appear to have done the former but are addressing it as if you have done the latter.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

LaurenRose wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:07 pm Now I can access YouTube Premium on my laptop but cannot get it to load onto the iPhone.
What exactly does "cannot get it to load onto the iPhone" mean? The YouTube app works but no Premium, or the app doesn't work at all? The app should recognize when you sign in with a Google account that has Premium, and Premium should show up automatically. Assuming the app on the iPhone is working, are you sure you are signed in with the same Google account as on the Mac?
jayjayc

Post by jayjayc »

LaurenRose wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:07 pm I have logged out of my Apple ID on the phone and logged back in - that did not work.
Kenkat wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:13 pm Log out of YouTube on your iPhone and log back in.
LaurenRose wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:27 pm As I said, I tried that already - both of those options
These are 2 separate things. Youtube uses your Google ID, not your Apple ID. Go to your Youtube app and then log out of your Google ID, then log back in.
greg24

Post by greg24 »

LaurenRose wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:07 pmThe credit card on the account expired, so I had to sign up all over again and of course, add a new card and pay.
It sounds like you created a new Youtube account, instead of adding the new credit card to your existing account.

You will need to login to the Youtube app on your phone with the new account you created.

Maybe I misunderstood.