Loading/unloading ramp for heavy items?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
jplee3

Loading/unloading ramp for heavy items?

Post by jplee3 »

Hi all,

Was wondering if anyone here has a "quick n dirty" way to load/unload stuff like heavy furniture or equipment on or off a cargo van or flatbed truck. Something that doesn't require building anything but is stable and also transportable. For instance, would a series of 2x6s laid next to each other be enough?
adamthesmythe

Re: Loading/unloading ramp for heavy items?

Post by adamthesmythe »

What you are doing has a potential for serious injury even when you have the right equipment.

To your specific question- a 2x6 10 ft long laid long side horizontal will deflect a fair amount under the weight of a person. Laid short side horizontal it will deflect less but is susceptible to turning. No, do not do this.

Movers use trucks that have extendible ramps. Or lift gates that can be lowered electrically. There is a reason for this. Even so, there is a potential for injury.

I've moved a lot of heavy stuff in my career. Don't go quick and cheap for this. Consider hiring someone with proper equipment.
ktdintex

Post by ktdintex »

Stable AND transportable is the challenge. You can buy metal ramps that attach to a lowered truck tailgate. Another option is a hydraulic table, which can raise up to the level of a truck bed and hold high weight. Negatives are the table is typically not very large and not easy to transport, if you want to carry it around.

If you don't need to carry it around, an engine hoist also makes a good way to lift and place heavy objects in a truck bed, and they roll around.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

Rent a U-Haul truck that comes with a ramp.
SpaghettiLegs

Post by SpaghettiLegs »

I have a shed which, because of a slope is about 1.5 feet above ground level. I got these ramps to get the lawn mower in and out. Probably not long enough for a truck bed unless it is low. When looking for a solution to my issue I found that there aren’t any real cheap options. Also if you use a ramp like this, do NOT stand on it yourself, just use the dolly or whatever on it and stand on the ground or in truck bed.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/produ ... _vc=-10005
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

Furniture Hand Truck

They are worth their weight in gold on moving day. They come with straps to allow you to secure the item to the hand truck and not worry about it tipping. The bars and rollers in the back allow you to easily lower it off of flatbeds to the ground and then take it right where you need it in the house. Most rental centers rent these out as well as places where you rent moving trucks.
Topic Author
jplee3

Post by jplee3 »

Thanks all. I wanted a box truck with a ramp but the local HD was out earlier... at the last minute I called to ask a question about their other trucks and the guy told me he just got the 10' box truck back (it was under repair) and he would hold it for me. So I immediately went (not long after posting) and rented it to pickup a sideboard we bought from Costco as well as a bookshelf someone was giving away. That thing was a monster btw: 200lbs but fully assembled and shipped inside a shipping box hahaha. It's not only heavy but bulky. They were able to help load it at Costco. I used the ramp when we got it home. I also have a 4-in-1 Cosco handtruck that I bought from Costco a couple days ago (lol) which I'm glad I got because it helped us move it off the truck... Between my wife and I (and our 7yr old son who helped keep the handcart/dolly stable) we slid the thing onto the dolly and slowly brought it down the ramp - the way we unloaded it (flat) there wasn't quite enough clearance from the ramp before the box hit it. We had to finagle it around a little but got it to work out. I don't know we possibly would have unloaded it if it were in any other vehicle. They do rent flatbed trucks with ramps though, so I guess that would have been the other option.