Compensation discussion with a recruiter

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
Admiral

Compensation discussion with a recruiter

Post by Admiral »

My spouse has been approached by a headhunter for an Executive Director position. The position is currently open. They have an initial meeting shortly.

Since this is a non-profit, we are able to see last year's salaries for all executive positions. Since the ED position was vacant (there was an interim) the highest paid current employee (VP of Development) last year made about $244k. The position below that is about $191k.

If it comes up with the recruiter (i.e. she is asked what her salary requirement is) should she answer, and if so what's reasonable? An alternative would be to wait until she's gone through a few interviews so she can learn more of what the job entails. The position reports to a Board of Directors.

I was going to suggest $260k.

Thoughts?
wilked

Re: Compensation discussion with a recruiter

Post by wilked »

Wouldn't the VP manager the Exec Dir?
Topic Author
Admiral

Post by Admiral »

wilked wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:41 pm Wouldn't the VP manager the Exec Dir?
No. It's VP of Development. All the direct reports go up to the ED.
knowledge

Post by knowledge »

If you're saying that you can see salaries for all exec positions, can't you then see salaries for similarly situated non-profits and look at those ED comps to have a sense of what is reasonable?
wilked

Post by wilked »

IN that case I would go 275-280 if you think you can justify it. 15% more than direct reports seems about right
Topic Author
Admiral

Post by Admiral »

knowledge wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:45 pm If you're saying that you can see salaries for all exec positions, can't you then see salaries for similarly situated non-profits and look at those ED comps to have a sense of what is reasonable?
We could, but those would be in other cities, so it's not going to be apples to apple. For some perspective, the budget is about $16m and assets are about $50m.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

do some online research and pull up the previous year's Form 990....

Fundraising is a key part of the ED role. if the VP of Dev is making $244k, I'd ask at least 20% higher, if not 30%.
GreendaleCC

Post by GreendaleCC »

Look at the Form 990 for years when the old ED was still there.
Topic Author
Admiral

Post by Admiral »

GreendaleCC wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:49 pm Look at the Form 990 for years when the old ED was still there.
Yeah we did that but for some reason the last listing is 3 years old. Salary was around $200k at that time.
PowderDay9

Post by PowderDay9 »

I think you should be looking at around $300k+. You want to be at least 20-30% above your VP direct report.
Topic Author
Admiral

Post by Admiral »

Thanks all for the suggestions.

One more question: do recruiters generally recommend to the candidate a salary to ask for? Or do they simply ask for a salary requirement? (I realize they are compensated based on the final salary so it's perhaps in their best interest to push for a big number, but by the same token they don't want to waste the employer's time.)
wilked

Post by wilked »

Admiral wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:00 pm Thanks all for the suggestions.

One more question: do recruiters generally recommend to the candidate a salary to ask for? Or do they simply ask for a salary requirement? (I realize they are compensated based on the final salary so it's perhaps in their best interest to push for a big number, but by the same token they don't want to waste the employer's time.)
It's like a realtor... The key thing is getting the sale, exact sales price doesn't move the bar significantly. I'd say similarly with a recruiter, the key thing is the sale (hire). Salary high enough to attract good candidates but low enough to meet business needs. It's a balancing act.