Bank of America/Merrill Edge - Preferred Rewards

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
tj

Re: Bank of America/Merrill Edge - Preferred Rewards

Post by tj »

bbrock wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:44 pm
vaylie wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:56 pm Anyone here use the Unlimited Rewards card to pay their taxes? I don't have any experience with how reliable the third-party processors are. But at 1.85% (payUSATax) fee vs 2.625% cashback that we get, it seems a better deal than paying it via bank ACH. That said, I'd rather nothing go wrong with my tax payment than try to squeeze out 0.775% rewards.
That’s one of the reasons for me signing up for the UCR. I’m planning to pay this never-before low 5 digit tax bill we are facing this year (definitely underestimated our taxes/DW’s pay raise this year :shock: ) via the UCR. If payusatax is legit, I’m using it.
You're probably better off getting a card with a sign up bonus then simply the extra 0.8% cashback.
bbrock

Post by bbrock »

tj wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:53 pm
bbrock wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:44 pm
vaylie wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:56 pm Anyone here use the Unlimited Rewards card to pay their taxes? I don't have any experience with how reliable the third-party processors are. But at 1.85% (payUSATax) fee vs 2.625% cashback that we get, it seems a better deal than paying it via bank ACH. That said, I'd rather nothing go wrong with my tax payment than try to squeeze out 0.775% rewards.
That’s one of the reasons for me signing up for the UCR. I’m planning to pay this never-before low 5 digit tax bill we are facing this year (definitely underestimated our taxes/DW’s pay raise this year :shock: ) via the UCR. If payusatax is legit, I’m using it.
You're probably better off getting a card with a sign up bonus then simply the extra 0.8% cashback.
May not be the best, but it’s something… the UCR did come with $200 bonus for spending $1k the 1st 90 days
bbrock
Lyrrad

Post by Lyrrad »

I've made well over a hundred Federal tax payments over the years using the approved credit/debit card processors listed on the IRS website. I've never had a lost payment.

I keep an electronic copy of each receipt, but I've never had to use them.
vaylie

Post by vaylie »

Lyrrad wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:15 am
I've made well over a hundred Federal tax payments over the years using the approved credit/debit card processors listed on the IRS website. I've never had a lost payment.

I keep an electronic copy of each receipt, but I've never had to use them.
Thank you! That's reassuring to know. I'll give that a go this year.
spammagnet

Post by spammagnet »

Consider using gift cards to pay taxes, rather than credit cards, if they can be bought economically with a credit card. They bill as debit cards, for which some (all?) tax payment processors vendors charge only ~$2, rather than a % fee.

I and others buy gifts cards online at Simon.com, which caters to manufactured spending practitioners. It's economical because you can buy them in $1K denominations. That minimizes the % cost of the flat gift card purchase fee, which is sometimes discounted, as well.

There is some hoop-jumping before you can buy the $1K cards. You have to buy $3K (minimum) worth of cards at a Simon mall office and present ID. If there's a Simon mall near you, it's not a big deal, but they're not everywhere.

They do that to address anti-money laundering regs. I've been told by Simon office staff that many customers buy $10K worth of cards multiple times per month.
bbrock

Post by bbrock »

spammagnet wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:40 am
Consider using gift cards to pay taxes, rather than credit cards, if they can be bought economically with a credit card. They bill as debit cards, for which some (all?) tax payment processors vendors charge only ~$2, rather than a % fee.

I and others buy gifts cards online at Simon.com, which caters to manufactured spending practitioners. It's economical because you can buy them in $1K denominations. That minimizes the % cost of the flat gift card purchase fee, which is sometimes discounted, as well.

There is some hoop-jumping before you can buy the $1K cards. You have to buy $3K (minimum) worth of cards at a Simon mall office and present ID. If there's a Simon mall near you, it's not a big deal, but they're not everywhere.

They do that to address anti-money laundering regs. I've been told by Simon office staff that many customers buy $10K worth of cards multiple times per month.
What an awesome idea spammagnet! And, fortunately, there’s a couple centers near me I just located at their website. After a center visit, and then purchasing your gift cards online, will that code as online shopping?

Hopefully I can make a chump change gift card purchase at the center, so that I can buy them online.
Last edited by bbrock on Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
bbrock
slalom

Post by slalom »

Finally got my $100k ACH to ME cleared and called to do to the Preferred Deposit - all done.

Gonna enjoy the most interest I've gotten since, I don't remember, ~2002 ING direct HY account?
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

slalom wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:11 am Finally got my $100k ACH to ME cleared and called to do to the Preferred Deposit - all done.

Gonna enjoy the most interest I've gotten since, I don't remember, ~2002 ING direct HY account?
Not really. Once you subtract inflation and maybe taxes.
Morik

Post by Morik »

Does anyone know if there are any issues ACATing ETFs to Merrill that they normally don't allow purchases of?
Will they liquidate these/not accept these? Or will I just be unable to add more to the position (which I'm fine with)?
spammagnet

Post by spammagnet »

bbrock wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:01 am... What an awesome idea spammagnet!
Not mine. I learned about it in the 12-page thread here: Primer on Paying Taxes With a Credit Card. Credit goes to whodidntante. Pass it on, and post future questions on this topic there.
... And, fortunately, there’s a couple centers near me I just located at their website. After a center visit, and then purchasing your gift cards online, will that code as online shopping? ...
Call first to confirm they sell gift cards. Most, but not all, do.

Experience posted here by others is inconsistent about coding as online. My own experience is consistently negative. I now use my 1.5% cards which gets me 2.625% (w/ PH) - purchase fees. It's worthwhile.
... Hopefully I can make a chump change gift card purchase at the center, so that I can buy them online.
That's what I did but my wife recently was required to buy a minimum of $3K for her first purchase. Attempts to get around that failed but was free with a promo code in Simon's introductory email.

Send an inquiry about the process to giftcardscs@simon.com. The promo code is buried in the wall of text you'll get in their prompt reply. Be sure to mention an interest in $1,000 denomination cards. You have to be specifically authorized to buy those. Otherwise, the default limit is $500.

Buy E-cards to get immediate delivery with no delivery fee and no risk of loss. That would be costly. Register them after receipt to link them to your zip code, a requirement of the IRS payment (and other) processors.
spammagnet

Post by spammagnet »

bbrock wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:01 amWhat an awesome idea spammagnet! ...
PS: New account bonuses are more lucrative than Preferred Rewards if they fit in your scheme of getting credit card rewards, in general. Paying taxes provides a way to meet minimum spending requirements and quarterly payments fit into a prudent cycle of opening new accounts.
bbrock

Post by bbrock »

I just read through that primer on paying taxes with a credit card searching for posts about Simon. It looks like a lot of people are saying that the gift card purchase through Simon doesn’t work or doesn’t work as well to pay taxes and have it coded as online shopping. It also appears that there are a lot of hoops to have to go through and gift card fees. However, I’m sure those gift card fees are less than the credit card processing fee for instance, at the IRS website using one of those payment processors I don’t think it could be worth the time. Therefore, I’m just going to try to pay taxes with the BofA UCR card through one of those processors listed at the IRS website.

Good info though and thanks for sharing.
bbrock
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

spammagnet wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:54 pm
tj wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:24 pmI don't see a reason to even do that. If the card gets closed, one less card to worry about. Or wait and see how the rewards redemption improves and then I'll start using it. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Some of my dormant cards are over 20 years old. They're the oldest cards I own and could have a negative impact on my credit score.
I have product changed all of my CCs to ones that I might actually use once in a while. Then every quarter if I haven't used one of my "sock drawer" cards, I put a $1 Amazon eGC charge on it. Most of my "sock drawer" cards are now rotating catagory cards, so once in a while they will have something good. For example my Chase Freedom and Chase Freedom Flex cards had 5% cash back on groceries for Q1 2023, so I found a good use for them.
aragorn1

Post by aragorn1 »

I have Online Shopping as my 3% choice for my CCR credit card. Will purchasing airline tickets (from Alaska Airlines website) come under Online Shopping or should I change my category to Travel ?
CrisisAverted

Post by CrisisAverted »

The Better Balance Rewards cards are getting discontinued on 5/16/23 and replaced with the Unlimited Cash Rewards, but it sounds like the better card is actually the Custom Cash Rewards?

I'll ask to product change to the CCR but only after collecting the $20 bonus that they're giving out in addition to your normal quarterly rewards.

Not sure if there is a better annual fee-free card at BofA to combine with PH status?
OrangeKiwi

Post by OrangeKiwi »

aragorn1 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:58 pm I have Online Shopping as my 3% choice for my CCR credit card. Will purchasing airline tickets (from Alaska Airlines website) come under Online Shopping or should I change my category to Travel ?
It will be travel. Generally, online shopping is for physical things that are shipped to you. Or businesses who mainly sell physical things.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

spammagnet wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:40 am

I wish my taxes owed were low enough this year to make this practical.
FedGuy

Post by FedGuy »

CrisisAverted wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:22 am The Better Balance Rewards cards are getting discontinued on 5/16/23 and replaced with the Unlimited Cash Rewards, but it sounds like the better card is actually the Custom Cash Rewards?

I'll ask to product change to the CCR but only after collecting the $20 bonus that they're giving out in addition to your normal quarterly rewards.

Not sure if there is a better annual fee-free card at BofA to combine with PH status?
I got the letter too. I'm disappointed, but since I get roughly 190% cash back on this card (I charge a little over $5 per month and get $30 back each quarter, the equivalent of $10 back per month) I guess I'm not surprised.

I agree that the CCR is a better card. I already have the Premium Rewards card, and the Unlimited Cash Rewards adds nothing if you already have the Premium Rewards. In any case, I already have two CCRs and have been planning to apply for a third, so I'll go ahead and convert my BBR to a CCR if they'll let me.
bbrock

Post by bbrock »

I just applied for the CCR and the UCR. Waiting on the cards. Is the CCR also known as the BBR card? If it is s, will the discontinuation make the CCR Rewards system, null and void?
bbrock
FedGuy

Post by FedGuy »

No, bbrock. The BBR is an older card that hasn't been offered to new applicants in years. The gimmick was that you would earn $25/quarter ($30, if you had a BoA checking or savings account) if you paid at least the minimum balance on time every month. The trick, then, was to spend a small amount on the card (around $5/month, or $15/quarter) so you would actually make your spend back and more.

The CCR is unaffected by the discontinuation of the BBR.
wenchleaf

Post by wenchleaf »

aragorn1 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:58 pm I have Online Shopping as my 3% choice for my CCR credit card. Will purchasing airline tickets (from Alaska Airlines website) come under Online Shopping or should I change my category to Travel ?
Not sure about directly purchasing but if you can purchase with PayPal, Google, or Amazon pay it should count as Online. I use PayPal with American Airlines and Airbnb and it counts as Online. Also, you can change categories anytime in the month and you can again after the 1st of the month, you don't have to wait 30 days or anything.
OrangeKiwi wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:47 am It will be travel. Generally, online shopping is for physical things that are shipped to you. Or businesses who mainly sell physical things.
Are you positive or just guessing?

The Transaction Category is a separate field from "Online Purchase", so many transactions can fall under both Online and another category. My PayPal purchases with American Airlines say
Merchant Name: AMERICAN AIRLINES
Transaction Category: Travel
Online Purchase: Y
Lyrrad

Post by Lyrrad »

wenchleaf wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:11 pm
Not sure about directly purchasing but if you can purchase with PayPal, Google, or Amazon pay it should count as Online. I use PayPal with American Airlines and Airbnb and it counts as Online. Also, you can change categories anytime in the month and you can again after the 1st of the month, you don't have to wait 30 days or anything.
OrangeKiwi wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:47 am It will be travel. Generally, online shopping is for physical things that are shipped to you. Or businesses who mainly sell physical things.

The Transaction Category is a separate field from "Online Purchase", so many transactions can fall under both Online and another category. My PayPal purchases with American Airlines say
Merchant Name: AMERICAN AIRLINES
Transaction Category: Travel
Online Purchase: Y
The answer seems clear and is in the program rules. Any purchase that's marked as an Online purchase and that isn't in an excluded category counts as online shopping.
Eno Deb

Post by Eno Deb »

I have never used the card for Alaska Airlines, but I have purchased tickets from United, Southwest and probably others directly from the airline websites and they did trigger the CCR online category. It also worked on prepaid hotel stays via Hotwire. The travel category should work too.
OrangeKiwi

Post by OrangeKiwi »

wenchleaf wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:11 pm
Guessing, based on my experiences a few years ago. I do not bother to look closely anymore, but when first experimenting, as a rule of thumb, anything online that was not shipped to me was not classified as online purchase. The exception was e-gift cards at Costco and Target.

The pdf Lyrrad posted is, of course, better information.
bbrock

Post by bbrock »

I am adding on to my ME account an individual taxable brokerage account. I am trying to fund it now. I want to fund it from a Trust account I have at Vanguard that holds VUSXX. I want to move $10k. Do I have to liquidate the $10k of VUSXX so it can be in my settlement fund and transfer from there, or can ME hold $10k of VUSXX?

I don't want trading costs at ME. My intention was to hold $10k of TTTXX, but if I could hold VUSXX and not be dinged $$$ trading costs, then I'd prefer that.
bbrock
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

bbrock wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:28 pm I am adding on to my ME account an individual taxable brokerage account. I am trying to fund it now. I want to fund it from a Trust account I have at Vanguard that holds VUSXX. I want to move $10k. Do I have to liquidate the $10k of VUSXX so it can be in my settlement fund and transfer from there, or can ME hold $10k of VUSXX?

I don't want trading costs at ME. My intention was to hold $10k of TTTXX, but if I could hold VUSXX and not be dinged $$$ trading costs, then I'd prefer that.
From an ME brokerage account, one can initiate an account/asset transfer out of a Vanguard brokerage account. The asset (VUSXX for example) would be transferred in-kind via ACATS. But in your particular case, you're transferring from a Trust account to an individual account. I'm not sure whether how the accounts are titled would get in the way of the ACATS transfer. Maybe it would work fine. I don't know as I've never done it.
bbrock

Post by bbrock »

Just decided to transfer from our Ally Savings to my ME taxable brokerage, and sell some of my VUSXX and transfer to Ally.
bbrock
aragorn1

Post by aragorn1 »

Lyrrad wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:35 pm The answer seems clear and is in the program rules. Any purchase that's marked as an Online purchase and that isn't in an excluded category counts as online shopping.
Eno Deb wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:17 pm I have never used the card for Alaska Airlines, but I have purchased tickets from United, Southwest and probably others directly from the airline websites and they did trigger the CCR online category. It also worked on prepaid hotel stays via Hotwire. The travel category should work too.
Thanks for the replies. I just confirmed. My Alaska Airlines payment was tagged as a CCR online category purchase.
aragorn1

Post by aragorn1 »

I am having a hard time transferring my stocks from my Fidelity brokerage account to my ME account. It's been a couple of weeks since I submitted the transfer assets form. Ran into the following issues - uploaded an older version of the transfer assets form, uploaded the correct version but entered the incorrect Fidelity brokerage account number (apparently the 16 digit number is the Fidelity bank account number), got a phone call for security verification and gave an incorrect response (not sure which one). Today, their system was down so the phone re-verification could not take place. Now been told to go to BoA location to get a medallion signature guarantee. Scheduled an appointment for tomorrow. With these delays, I'll miss out on my welcome bonus :(

If it's so difficult so transfer securities into ME, I wonder what's the process like to transfer out ? :annoyed
CrisisAverted

Post by CrisisAverted »

aragorn1 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:33 pm I am having a hard time transferring my stocks from my Fidelity brokerage account to my ME account. It's been a couple of weeks since I submitted the transfer assets form. Ran into the following issues - uploaded an older version of the transfer assets form, uploaded the correct version but entered the incorrect Fidelity brokerage account number (apparently the 16 digit number is the Fidelity bank account number), got a phone call for security verification and gave an incorrect response (not sure which one). Today, their system was down so the phone re-verification could not take place. Now been told to go to BoA location to get a medallion signature guarantee. Scheduled an appointment for tomorrow. With these delays, I'll miss out on my welcome bonus :(

If it's so difficult so transfer securities into ME, I wonder what's the process like to transfer out ? :annoyed
Unfortunately, I think this is just a sequence of unfortunate events. It was very easy for me to transfer funds in to ME from my brokerage with Chase. In my experience, fidelity is by far the easiest to work with. Hopefully things get sorted for you soon!
lstone19

Post by lstone19 »

aragorn1 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:33 pm I am having a hard time transferring my stocks from my Fidelity brokerage account to my ME account. It's been a couple of weeks since I submitted the transfer assets form. Ran into the following issues - uploaded an older version of the transfer assets form, uploaded the correct version but entered the incorrect Fidelity brokerage account number (apparently the 16 digit number is the Fidelity bank account number), got a phone call for security verification and gave an incorrect response (not sure which one). Today, their system was down so the phone re-verification could not take place. Now been told to go to BoA location to get a medallion signature guarantee. Scheduled an appointment for tomorrow. With these delays, I'll miss out on my welcome bonus :(

Sounds like you're trying to do it with a paper form. I did an online ACATS transfer of some my Fidelity account to ME and other than a problem of my own making (forgetting to turn off lockdown on the Fidelity account) that required resubmitting it, it went smoothly and quickly.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

lstone19 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:51 pm

Sounds like you're trying to do it with a paper form. I did an online ACATS transfer of some my Fidelity account to ME and other than a problem of my own making (forgetting to turn off lockdown on the Fidelity account) that required resubmitting it, it went smoothly and quickly.
+1 on using the online ACATS transfer. I did that, no paper involved. Also good to know Fidelity's Money Transfer Lockdown works.
aragorn1

Post by aragorn1 »

lstone19 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:51 pm Sounds like you're trying to do it with a paper form. I did an online ACATS transfer of some my Fidelity account to ME and other than a problem of my own making (forgetting to turn off lockdown on the Fidelity account) that required resubmitting it, it went smoothly and quickly.
Could you please share the link on how to do an online ACATS transfer from Fidelity ?
I found this link - https://olui2.fs.ml.com/Publish/Content ... F4C5EB.pdf
And I had submitted this completed form - https://olui2.fs.ml.com/Publish/Content ... -_1566.pdf which is not the correct form.

I initiated the transfer online by logging into my ME account. In order to complete the transfer, I need to submit additional documents such as the latest statement from my Fidelity account and the Transfer Assets to Merrill form.
lstone19

Post by lstone19 »

aragorn1 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:48 pm
lstone19 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:51 pm Sounds like you're trying to do it with a paper form. I did an online ACATS transfer of some my Fidelity account to ME and other than a problem of my own making (forgetting to turn off lockdown on the Fidelity account) that required resubmitting it, it went smoothly and quickly.
Could you please share the link on how to do an online ACATS transfer from Fidelity ?
I found this link - https://olui2.fs.ml.com/Publish/Content ... F4C5EB.pdf
And I had submitted this completed form - https://olui2.fs.ml.com/Publish/Content ... -_1566.pdf which is not the correct form.

I initiated the transfer online by logging into my ME account. In order to complete the transfer, I need to submit additional documents such as the latest statement from my Fidelity account and the Transfer Assets to Merrill form.
You're saying "online" yet posting links to paper forms. While you may have started the process on their website, online to most of us means filling out a web form (not a PDF found on a website) so that there is no paper printed and nothing done on paper.

From the ME website, Accounts > Transfer Money and Securities > Securities & Accounts. Select "An External Account" as the From and follow the prompts.
aragorn1

Post by aragorn1 »

lstone19 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:59 pm You're saying "online" yet posting links to paper forms. While you may have started the process on their website, online to most of us means filling out a web form (not a PDF found on a website) so that there is no paper printed and nothing done on paper.

From the ME website, Accounts > Transfer Money and Securities > Securities & Accounts. Select "An External Account" as the From and follow the prompts.
I selected this only. I tried again just now. I am doing a partial account transfer.
I am seeing this message:

Transfer Securities/Accounts

The transfer of securities or accounts held at another financial institution typically take 5 to 8 business days, but may take longer depending on the type of transfer. Moving securities from one of your Merrill accounts to another happens in real time.

Review Transfer Request
Please confirm that your transfer request is correct before selecting Continue.

To: [Account Number]
Type: Partial Account Transfer

We will need the following to complete your transfer request:

A copy of the latest statement from Fidelity Investments.
A completed Customer Account Transfer Form signed by all account holders.Provide a copy of a federal or state government ID, such as a passport or driver’s license.

After you select Submit, you will receive instructions how to attach, fax or mail the documents to complete your request. We will also provide more information about how to apply for margin and options in your account if needed.
spammagnet

Post by spammagnet »

The online process has worked flawlessly for me several times. Having entered the wrong account number is clearly your fault but it's simple human error. It happens.

I suggest you contact ME by phone to cancel the transfer request, then redo it online. Also, ask the support staff to point you to the correct menu item to do that.

Transfer out is easy, too. It's initiated on the Fidelity side. I've done that several times painlessly, as well.
Last edited by spammagnet on Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lstone19

Post by lstone19 »

aragorn1 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:19 pm
lstone19 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:59 pm You're saying "online" yet posting links to paper forms. While you may have started the process on their website, online to most of us means filling out a web form (not a PDF found on a website) so that there is no paper printed and nothing done on paper.

I selected this only. I tried again just now. I am doing a partial account transfer.
I am seeing this message:

Transfer Securities/Accounts

The transfer of securities or accounts held at another financial institution typically take 5 to 8 business days, but may take longer depending on the type of transfer. Moving securities from one of your Merrill accounts to another happens in real time.

Review Transfer Request
Please confirm that your transfer request is correct before selecting Continue.

To: [Account Number]

We will need the following to complete your transfer request:

A copy of the latest statement from Fidelity Investments.
A completed Customer Account Transfer Form signed by all account holders.Provide a copy of a federal or state government ID, such as a passport or driver’s license.

After you select Submit, you will receive instructions how to attach, fax or mail the documents to complete your request. We will also provide more information about how to apply for margin and options in your account if needed.
There must be something about your account or the transfer that is preventing the online process from continuing further. Before getting to the last section you list, the ME transfer process asks me three questions: "Does your Fidelity Investments account hold a margin debit balance?", "Does your Fidelity Investments account hold options?", and "Would you like to transfer your entire Fidelity Investments account?" For my situation, the answer to all three was No and I then get a screen that lets me enter what I want to transfer:

To: Account Number
Which investments would you like to transfer from your account at Fidelity Investments?
Security description Transfer all or some shares
[Rows to enter this information]

Are you transferring any cash from your Fidelity Investments account?
Yes
No
Continue the request Go Back to previous page and edit the request | Cancel

Did you say yes to the margin balance or options? I suspect that would complicate the process.
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

I have transferred many etfs to merrill edge over the years and here's the process I use:

1. From the account page go to the top menu and select Account->Transfers & Withdrawals.
2. There click on Securities & Accounts.
3. On the From [Move my assets from] pulldown select An external account.
4. In the Firm name box start typing fidelity and it should give you a suggestion for Fidelity Brokerage so click that.
5. Use the Account type pulldown to select individual or roth or whatever.
6. In the From account number box enter the account number as it is shown on a fidelity statement and make sure it follows the example they give.
7. Fill in the estimated value.
8. Use the pulldown to select the receiving account which will be one of the eligible ones matching the type you selected previously.
9. This will take you to a page that confirms some things about the account and Would you like to transfer your entire Fidelity Brokerage account which you set to no for a partial transfer so you can select securities.
10. This takes you to a Transfer Securities/Accounts form where you enter the funds in the boxes and whether it is All or Partial and if the latter a box pops up to enter the number of shares.

That's as far as I felt like playing with it.
NYCaviator

Post by NYCaviator »

I apologize if this has already been answered, but do you HAVE to open a BoA checking account to have Preferred Rewards with ME? I’d ideally like to move 105k of VTI over to ME just to get the extra credit card rewards, but I don’t want another checking account if I can help it.
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

NYCaviator wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:47 am I apologize if this has already been answered, but do you HAVE to open a BoA checking account to have Preferred Rewards with ME? I’d ideally like to move 105k of VTI over to ME just to get the extra credit card rewards, but I don’t want another checking account if I can help it.
Yes. Scroll down https://promotions.bankofamerica.com/pr ... rewards/en and you'll see it mentioned - look for "To become a member, you'll need:"
NYCaviator

Post by NYCaviator »

sycamore wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:28 am
NYCaviator wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:47 am I apologize if this has already been answered, but do you HAVE to open a BoA checking account to have Preferred Rewards with ME? I’d ideally like to move 105k of VTI over to ME just to get the extra credit card rewards, but I don’t want another checking account if I can help it.
Yes. Scroll down https://promotions.bankofamerica.com/pr ... rewards/en and you'll see it mentioned - look for "To become a member, you'll need:"
Thanks! Is there a number you can call to speak with someone at BoA about opening these accounts? I can’t reach anyone at the local branch, and I can’t find a number online to call to ask questions. (Not a good first impression for BoA :oops: )
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

NYCaviator wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:59 pm
Thanks! Is there a number you can call to speak with someone at BoA about opening these accounts? I can’t reach anyone at the local branch, and I can’t find a number online to call to ask questions. (Not a good first impression for BoA :oops: )
I don't know -- I opened my accounts online and didn't have any questions. What questions do you have? Bogleheads might be able to answer them!
unmesh

Post by unmesh »

NYCaviator wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:59 pm
Their general number is 800.432.1000

Overall, their customer service is a mess though :(
NYCaviator

Post by NYCaviator »

sycamore wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:32 pm I don't know -- I opened my accounts online and didn't have any questions. What questions do you have? Bogleheads might be able to answer them!
I was hoping to just ask them about opening the checking and ME accounts at the same time; I don't want to get charged fees for the checking account until I was able to transfer in money from Schwab. I was also curious about how I could get into the preferred deposit program, etc. Just pretty basic questions.
NYCaviator

Post by NYCaviator »

unmesh wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:40 pm

No kidding. I tried calling Merrill Edge's main number for new customers, and their automated message said wait time was at least 25 minutes. On a Wednesday. In the middle of the day.

Hard pass on BoA and Merrill. Even if I don't have to call them often, which I assume I wouldn't, that's just ridiculous. I'd rather lose out on the extra credit card rewards than deal with that.
Morik

Post by Morik »

NYCaviator wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:48 pm
unmesh wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:40 pm

No kidding. I tried calling Merrill Edge's main number for new customers, and their automated message said wait time was at least 25 minutes. On a Wednesday. In the middle of the day.

Hard pass on BoA and Merrill. Even if I don't have to call them often, which I assume I wouldn't, that's just ridiculous. I'd rather lose out on the extra credit card rewards than deal with that.
Preferred rewards have their own hotline number. I've never had to wait more than a few minutes (have called twice that I can recall).
FedGuy

Post by FedGuy »

Morik wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:51 pmPreferred rewards have their own hotline number. I've never had to wait more than a few minutes (have called twice that I can recall).
Yeah, I've never had any problems with that number.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

FedGuy wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:54 pm
Morik wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:51 pmPreferred rewards have their own hotline number. I've never had to wait more than a few minutes (have called twice that I can recall).
+1.
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

What is the hotline number because I don't see it on the account page anymore.
Lastrun

Post by Lastrun »

anon_investor wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:17 pm
FedGuy wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:54 pm
+1.
+2. I have not called BofA for a while but had to call today for an issue of my own making. Quick response at about 2pm cst from friendly folks and good resolution.