Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2022!

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
thrifty_one

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2022!

Post by thrifty_one »

Miriam2 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:12 pm "Good Morning, my Friends, . . .
A lot will happen in the coming twelve months. It's a perilous world out there,
so get your asset allocation right - for you - and then just Stay the Course.
Best. Always. JACK"

-- Jack Bogle, Post to the Bogleheads, 10/19/2011, www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=84344

Here is the latest Roll Call for the Intrepid Retirement Class of 2022 :D

Half-way through the year and our 2022 Retirement Class already has 59 very happy graduates & a long list awaiting punch-out!

Already retired - Way to go!! :sharebeer
01 Jan - beernutz
01 Jan - old medic
01 Jan - Methos1979 (age 60)
01 Jan - aas (53)
02 Jan - bad1bill (70)
03 Jan - john0608 (65)
04 Jan - Atilla (54)
06 Jan - jamacq
07 Jan - Whatyear? (62)
29 Jan - Mrs Taz (58)
31 Jan - numerica
__ Jan - D Newton (65)
__ Jan - JIMX7

02 Feb - Escapevelocity (55)
11 Feb - rocket123 (57)
27 Feb - Jeepergeo
__ Feb - StewedCarrot (under 50)
__ Feb - happysteward

01 Mar - timshel
01 Mar - BobB (69)
31 Mar - apsuGuy (58)
__ Mar - GG1273 (63)
__ Mar - deserat (58)
__ Mar - LGAGA (56)

01 Apr - averagedude (52)
01 Apr - P&C Actuary
01 Apr - hoeboe (49)
01 Apr - morsetaper2 (63)
01 Apr - 260chrisb (60)
08 Apr - augryphon
25 Apr - jnevada
29 Apr - rennem (72)

01 May - nyone (58)
02 May - Lacrocious
04 May - Mybuterrier
06 May - Bass4 (58)
06 May - leftcoaster (51)
07 May - JRA (65)
07 May - squirrel1963
31 May - Bronko
31 May - DA200 (55)
31 May - Ricola
__ May - Bass4
__ May - Tjb (63)
__ May - SunRainSnow (49)

01 Jun - Newby61 (61)
01 Jun - gristboy (60)
15 Jun - BigWave Dave (61.5)
30 Jun - Runyer (63)
30 Jun - jh (46)
__ Jun - expo62 (59)

01 Jul - Viking65 (56)
01 Jul - MikeWillRetire (60)
01 Jul - Silentnight (66)
01 Jul - desiderium (62)
01 Jul - just1question (54)
01 Jul - infotrader (61)
01 Jul - docsully (77)
__ Jul - Californian

Our Upcoming Graduates - hang in there - it won't be long!! :D
01 Aug - augryphon (60)
01 Aug - tooluser (56)
31 Aug - blackburnian (65)
31 Aug - Feijao (53)
__ Aug - trallium (50)

12 Sep - MNGopher (57)
30 Sep - cockersx3 (49.9)

31 Oct - usa (56)
__ Oct - texas lawdog (52)
__ Oct - jjunk (48)
__ Oct - Minerva90 (62)

02 Nov - iluvzbeach (52)

30 Dec - cork (70)
31 Dec - fatcoffeedrinker (54)
31 Dec - AngelFIRE (52)
31 Dec - Jtdmn (64)
31 Dec - Live Simple
31 Dec - Barkingsparrow (64)
31 Dec - Yaquiway (58)
__ Dec - shiftyg (54)

__ ___ - txbear55 (66)
__ ___ - rich126
__ ___ - macman_65 (56)
__ ___ - MAKsdad
__ ___ - thrifty_one (56)
__ ___ - TheTimeLord
__ ___ - JBTX (58)

The Infinity Retirement Class 8-)
HomerJ (class of 2021/2022 . . . to S&P 5,000 and beyond!! . . .)

Let me know if I made any goofs with the Roll Call :mrgreen:

For me, thanks to mutual funds - don't panic about that stock market 8-)
Enjoy!
"And here is the song
They sing the whole day long" - ("The Tale of the Ticker," Frank Crumit, 1929)

"Oh the market's not so good today, your stocks look kind of sick.
In fact they all drop down a point each time the tickers tick.
We'll have to have more margin now, there isn't any doubt.
So you better dash with a load of cash, or we'll have to sell you out!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXzFPl7UdgQ
Count me in the 2022 Class (barely) - my last day after 35 yrs in the IT salt mines ;) is 12/16.. hurrah!
LBYM
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

ExPatKiwi wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:15 pm I haven't submitted my retirement request yet and I'm down to the wire! To be honest I'm scared as hell.

The current market doesn't worry me but I feel this is like sky diving when you jump out the plane and hope the parachute will open and will I have a soft landing. I'm in a very well-paying job and I know that retiring early at 58yo it's unlikely I'll ever get anything like it again that pays as well.

All my spreadsheeting and firecalc runs show I'm good to go FIRE. But "my" retirement plan requires me to take the 7 figure pension lump sum and invest it. If I don't do it this year then the lump sum is not worth it and I'll need to work an additional 5 to 7 years to make the annuity option worth it.

Decisions, decisions :? :!:
Oh yikes :shock: Those anxiety producing decisions :annoyed And financial decisions like these are not just "financial," they spill over into our entire life.

Here's a thought - since this current market does not worry you and all your spreadsheets and firecalc runs show you're good to retire now, that means you have the funds and spending patterns to retire in this "type of market." You have run the numbers, so to speak, over and over again factoring in your anticipated spending and home expenses and the numbers tell you you're good - financially - to retire now.

"But "my" retirement plan requires me to take the 7 figure pension lump sum and invest it. If I don't do it this year then the lump sum is not worth it and I'll need to work an additional 5 to 7 years to make the annuity option worth it."

Seems to me that "a 7-figure pension lump sum" is a good amount of money to take now, at these lower stock prices, and invest in your tax-deferred account, especially since it appears you don't need to tap into it for living expenses any time soon.

But also, working at a high paying job for another 5 to 7 years is not the worst, especially if you enjoy, tolerate, or don't hate your job and you can otherwise enjoy your life while working. However, if you do this => will it truly be "worth it" financially at the end of 5-7 years? How will you know, since we don't know the financial picture of our life and times for the next 5 to 7 years? And if the annuity option 7 years down the road turns out to not have been worth waiting and working for, how far behind would you be, how devastating would that be, how would your life change for the unpleasant or worse?

Retirement is not just about being financially able, it's also about being emotionally able to handle the large expanses of unscheduled, free-floating time every day. Do you have retirement plans now that will give you and your family great pleasure? Plans that you will really miss and regret if you continue working now for 5-7 years?

And what happens if life throws you mud?

"Retirement may ultimately be something that happens to you, rather than a decision you make."
-- Mike Piper

In John Bogle's talks at the last Bogleheads Conference he attended in 2018, Mr. Bogle quoted Sophocles several times:

"One must wait until the evening to see how splendid the day has been."

Mr. Bogle also said that he "really didn't very much like to think about what Sophocles meant."
AngelFIRE

Post by AngelFIRE »

I’ve changed my retirement date. I think i have a serious case of « one more year-itis »
My new date is 12.31.2023…
blackburnian

Post by blackburnian »

Hello fellow 2022 retirees!

I retired at 64 11/12, on July 30, after many years as an editor. I miss my colleagues and tinkering with sentences, but not the stressful deadlines and aggravating commute.

I have been nervous watching my portfolio decline but am glad I have nearly 20% of it in TIAA traditional, which I plan to annuitize starting around age 70. I will also wait until 70 to take SS. Until then I will draw on cash and my taxable account. Being in a low-paid field that I started late, I would have had to work much longer if not for a generous inheritance. I wish I could thank my parents in person.

So far I have been just as busy as when working, but in a good way. I traveled to England with my sister and have begun putting genealogy notes together and organizing family photos (many of them 100-150 years old). (On a side note that B-heads might find interesting, we have discovered that one of my great-great-grandfathers was an embezzler and bond forger in the late 1800s. He had multiple aliases, was in and out of jail, and made the front page of the NYT as a wily criminal--no wonder his story was not handed down in the family!) I have also started teaching English to adult immigrants 2 evenings a week (I have a certificate in the field). I thought it was a volunteer job but it turns out to be paid. It's only 9 hr/wk (though I've been putting in twice that many hours) but it's kind of nice to be getting a (small) paycheck. I love the students and am so happy being creative and social in a classroom instead of sitting alone in front of a computer screen all day.

Best of luck to all of you in your continuing or still-to-come retirements!
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

thrifty_one wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:44 am Count me in the 2022 Class (barely) - my last day after 35 yrs in the IT salt mines :) is 12/16.. hurrah!
Yikes! 35 years in the IT Salt Mines :annoyed

"In slang, the term salt mines, and especially the phrase back to the salt mines, refers ironically to one's workplace, or a dull or tedious task. This phrase originates from c. 1800 in reference to the Russian practice of sending prisoners to forced labor in Siberian salt mines."
-- Wikipedia

:shock: :shock: No wonder you're so happy to be released! Welcome to this Most Liberating Retirement Roll Call, probably in the world, and we're excited to have you in the Great Class of 2022.

Best wishes for a relaxing and enjoyable retirement :happy Keep your computer humming on Bogleheads dot org, enjoy new adventures and have fun, and please let us know what you're doing with your new free time.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

AngelFIRE wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:21 pm I’ve changed my retirement date. I think i have a serious case of « one more year-itis »
My new date is 12.31.2023…
OK AngelFIRE, no problem, we'll re-boot you to the next class!

Don't worry about your "serious case of < one more year-itis >" The Retirement Roll Call has Boglehead experts on call to help with that conundrum 8-) This will take you One More Year to read!

Retire now or OMY, [One More Year]
How do you stop moving your goalpost ?
Definition of one more year (OMY)
One more year reflection
The value of OMY for early retirees (bridge years) [One More Year]

But wait, we have more! - come to the online zoom meeting hosted by the Pre/Early Retirement Life Stage Chapter on "One More Year Syndrome" -

Wed. Dec. 7, 2022 - 8:00-10:00 pm ET
Topic: "One More Year Syndrome," or deciding when to quit your job and then actually doing it :!:
This will be an open discussion of people sharing their experiences with "one more year" syndrome and how they handled this.
Targeted audience: anyone who is thinking of retiring or has retired.

5 pm Pacific | 6 pm Mountain | 7 pm Central | 8 pm Eastern

The zoom link will be posted on the Bogleheads Calendar of Events . Feel free to come to the meeting anonymously and with your video off. 8-)
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

blackburnian wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:18 am Hello fellow 2022 retirees!

I retired at 64 11/12, on July 30, after many years as an editor. I miss my colleagues and tinkering with sentences, but not the stressful deadlines and aggravating commute.

I have been nervous watching my portfolio decline but am glad I have nearly 20% of it in TIAA traditional, which I plan to annuitize starting around age 70. I will also wait until 70 to take SS. Until then I will draw on cash and my taxable account. Being in a low-paid field that I started late, I would have had to work much longer if not for a generous inheritance. I wish I could thank my parents in person.
Congratulations blackburnian on PUNCHING OUT of those stressful deadlines and that aggravating commute :beer Now you're on the sunny side of the street and can set your own schedule!

Welcome to this Awesome Retirement Roll Call and the Class of 2022 :D
blackburnian wrote:So far I have been just as busy as when working, but in a good way. I traveled to England with my sister and have begun putting genealogy notes together and organizing family photos (many of them 100-150 years old). (On a side note that B-heads might find interesting, we have discovered that one of my great-great-grandfathers was an embezzler and bond forger in the late 1800s. He had multiple aliases, was in and out of jail, and made the front page of the NYT as a wily criminal--no wonder his story was not handed down in the family!) I have also started teaching English to adult immigrants 2 evenings a week (I have a certificate in the field). I thought it was a volunteer job but it turns out to be paid. It's only 9 hr/wk (though I've been putting in twice that many hours) but it's kind of nice to be getting a (small) paycheck. I love the students and am so happy being creative and social in a classroom instead of sitting alone in front of a computer screen all day.

Best of luck to all of you in your continuing or still-to-come retirements!
Thank you so much for your retirement journey and for the exciting news about your great-great-grandfather - The Great Embezzler and Bond Forger! Many aliases and "a wily criminal" who made the front page of the New York Times :D Wonder if you got any of his "bond genes"? I don't mean the embezzling ones, I mean he must have understood bonds to have embezzled and forged them, must have understood the bond game 8-)

Anyway, I guess you're safer annuitizing your TIAA traditional LOL! Best wishes for a great retirement, looks like you're off to a wonderful start.
Kookaburra

Post by Kookaburra »

Congratulations to all those who earned the ability to retire this year!
Longdog

Post by Longdog »

I had originally intended to retire in 2018 (see my original post on this topic), and while my intentions were good, there was no urgency and I found myself experiencing the "one more year" (OMY) phenomenon... for 4 more years! :oops: But now it is absolutely, 100% time. I've had enough. I have enough. I've given formal notice, and I will officially retire at the close of business on December 16, at age 57. Since graduating from college, I've been fortunate to have never been laid off (though at times it seemed quite possible - which was always my motivation to seek out another job), and was continuously employed by 3 large companies (a.k.a., MegaCos) for almost 34 years. I've had a good run.
Steve
furiouschads

Post by furiouschads »

I retired on 11/18/22. I'm turning 65 soon.
I spent 36 productive years working in one of the government number factories.

Thanks to all of you on BH who have been so generous with your time and expertise! I have learned so much, and gained much comfort from being in your company.

I picked this date so I could get my bonus and lump sum paid after hitting the OASDI tax cap. Not paying 6.2% was worthwhile.
Colleagues threw a very nice lunch.

My feelings about separation are surprising to me, two days into my new stage. It doesn't seem like a big deal. Maybe because I am going back half-time in a few months. I did, however, turn off the M-F wake-up alarm on my phone.

My spouse played this song for me at the end of my last day. I've always loved it. Friday was the first time I paid attention to the lyrics.

Quitting Time--The Roches

Money is not the problem
You have enough of that
Now you must close your office
Put on your coat and hat
Put on your coat and hat

Now is the hour of quitting
Twilight paints the town
Old industrial skyline
How does the sun go down?
How does the sun go down

You can go south in winter
Be what you are a goose
You can live near the ocean
Your clothes can fit you loose

Even as you are leaning
Into that glass of wine
You and beloved business
Have come to the end of a line
Come to the end of a line

All of the gates are open
All of the charges dropped
Talks are terminated
Payments have been stopped

You can move north in summer
You can be in the breeze
You don't need to notify
Any secretaries

Old industrial skyline
Drawing away from you
You are the one that'.s moving
You are the fool that flew

Be what you are a goose
Honk all the moon out the ocean
Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly. --Charles Addams. #613 in 2022 BH prediction contest. #42 in 2023. Not that I am keeping track.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Longdog wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:49 am I had originally intended to retire in 2018 (see my original post on this topic), and while my intentions were good, there was no urgency and I found myself experiencing the "one more year" (OMY) phenomenon... for 4 more years! :oops: But now it is absolutely, 100% time. I've had enough. I have enough. I've given formal notice, and I will officially retire at the close of business on December 16, at age 57. Since graduating from college, I've been fortunate to have never been laid off (though at times it seemed quite possible - which was always my motivation to seek out another job), and was continuously employed by 3 large companies (a.k.a., MegaCos) for almost 34 years. I've had a good run.
Hi Longdog! Now this is fun - for these past 4 years we thought you were retired and out somewhere lounging on the beach or fishing on some wilderness lake! Instead you were working in the salt mine :shock:

OK, we'll remove you from the 2018 Roll Call and renew you on this Most Awesome 2022 Retirement Roll Call :D See upthread for the Dec. 7, 2022, Bogleheads zoom meeting on the One More Year Syndrome - at OMYx4 you'll enjoy the meeting and could give some good advice to others.

We like your reasoning for finally punching out: "I've had enough. I have enough." Pure poetry :beer

So what's on the Finally Retired To Do List? We wish you a long, healthy retirement with plenty of fun and good times!
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

furiouschads wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:57 am I retired on 11/18/22. I'm turning 65 soon.
I spent 36 productive years working in one of the government number factories.
See above thread ^^^ definition of Salt Mines . . .
furiouschads wrote:Thanks to all of you on BH who have been so generous with your time and expertise! I have learned so much, and gained much comfort from being in your company.

I picked this date so I could get my bonus and lump sum paid after hitting the OASDI tax cap. Not paying 6.2% was worthwhile.
Congratulations furiouschads on retiring - and with a bonus and lump sum to boot!
Now for those Most Sought-After words in any language - Welcome to the Bogleheads Retirement Roll Call! :D
furiouschads wrote:Colleagues threw a very nice lunch.
I should hope so - after all you did for them over these long years, toiling in the government number factory :wink: Retirement luncheons are THE BEST!
furiouschads wrote:My feelings about separation are surprising to me, two days into my new stage. It doesn't seem like a big deal. Maybe because I am going back half-time in a few months. I did, however, turn off the M-F wake-up alarm on my phone.

My spouse played this song for me at the end of my last day. I've always loved it. Friday was the first time I paid attention to the lyrics.

Quitting Time--The Roches

Money is not the problem
You have enough of that
Now you must close your office
Put on your coat and hat
Put on your coat and hat

Now is the hour of quitting
Twilight paints the town
Old industrial skyline
How does the sun go down?
How does the sun go down

Be what you are a goose
You can live near the ocean

Even as you are leaning
Into that glass of wine
You and beloved business
Have come to the end of a line
Come to the end of a line

All of the gates are open
All of the charges dropped
Talks are terminated

You can move north in summer
You can be in the breeze
You don't need to notify
Any secretaries

Old industrial skyline
Drawing away from you
You are the one that's moving

Be what you are a goose
Honk all the moon out the ocean
Thanks so much for sharing this! Best wishes for a very long and enjoyable retirement, full of many good times and new adventures, good health and ample wealth. 8-)
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Put aside inflation and sequence of returns risk!

Here is the updated Retirement Roll Call for this Intrepid Retirement Class of 2022 :D

Our 2022 Retirement Class already has 82 graduates enjoying their freedom from the salt mines :D and a group of eager pre-retirees trying to find their punch-out papers :mrgreen:

:!: Already retired - Congratulations, you did it!! :D
01 Jan - beernutz
01 Jan - old medic
01 Jan - aas (53)
02 Jan - bad1bill (70)
03 Jan - john0608 (65)
04 Jan - Atilla (54)
06 Jan - jamacq <== Boglehead since 3/4/2007 (Bogleheads dot org began 2/19/2007)
07 Jan - Whatyear? (62)
29 Jan - Mrs Taz (58)
31 Jan - numerica
__ Jan - D Newton (65) <== Boglehead since 2/21/2007
__ Jan - JIMX7
__ Jan - DinoNerd (64)

11 Feb - rocket123 (57)
27 Feb - Jeepergeo
__ Feb - happysteward

01 Mar - timshel
01 Mar - BobB (69)
31 Mar - apsuGuy (58)
__ Mar - GG1273 (63)
__ Mar - deserat (58)
__ Mar - LGAGA (56)

01 Apr - P&C Actuary
01 Apr - hoeboe (49)
01 Apr - 260chrisb (60)
08 Apr - augryphon
25 Apr - jnevada
29 Apr - rennem (72)
__ Apr - typical.investor (54)

01 May - nyone (58)
02 May - Lacrocious <== Boglehead since 3/22/2007
04 May - Mybuterrier
06 May - leftcoaster (51) <== Boglehead since 7/23/2007
06 May - Bass4 (58)
07 May - JRA (65) <== Boglehead since 8/3/2007
07 May - squirrel1963
31 May - Bronko
31 May - DA200 (55)
31 May - Ricola
__ May - Tjb (63)

01 Jun - gristboy (60)
30 Jun - jh (46) <== Boglehead since 5/14/2007
30 Jun - Runyer (63)
__ Jun - expo62 (59) <== Boglehead since 5/21/2007

01 Jul - Viking65 (56)
01 Jul - desiderium (62)
01 Jul - docsully (77) <== Boglehead since 3/13/2007
01 Jul - infotrader (61)
22 Jul - Kenkat (58) <== Boglehead since 3/1/2007
30 Jul - blackburnian (64)
__ Jul - Californian

01 Aug - augryphon (60)
01 Aug - tooluser (56)
01 Aug - Newby61 (61)
31 Aug - Feijao (53)
__ Aug - trallium (50)

01 Sep - Keeneland (59)
01 Sep - MastersChampion (57)
12 Sep - MNGopher (57)
30 Sep - Sealion (57)
30 Sep - Serie1926

31 Oct - usa (56)
__ Oct - Minerva90 (62)

10 Nov - iluvzbeach (52)
18 Nov - furiouschads (64)

:arrow: Our Upcoming Graduates - hey! get those retirement papers IN !! :P
09 Dec - Colorado14 (54)
16 Dec - thrifty_one
16 Dec - Longdog (57)
30 Dec - cork (70)
31 Dec - Jtdmn (64)
31 Dec - Yaquiway (58)
__ Dec - shiftyg (54)

__ ___ - txbear55 (66)
__ ___ - rich126
__ ___ - macman_65 (56)
__ ___ - MAKsdad
__ ___ - TheTimeLord
__ ___ - JBTX (58)

HomerJ (class of 2021/2022 . . . to S&P 5,000 and beyond!! . . .) - don't give up HomerJ, the year is still young!

Let me know if I made any goofs - and if you want to be part of this Truly Awesome Class, you know what to do!
:sharebeer
iluvzbeach

Post by iluvzbeach »

Miriam2 wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:19 am
iluvzbeach wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:27 pm My date has slipped from November 2 to November 10 but formal notice has been given, so it should stick. Counting down the weeks and eager to join the rest of this year’s retirees.
Thanks for letting us know, keep it sticking :D
I am FREE!!!!! I returned my laptop, cell phone & badge on 11/10 and haven't given it another moment's thought. To say I've enjoyed every retired moment these past three weeks would be an understatement. It's everything I'd hoped for and more. I'm sleeping well, feel zero stress and have not worried about work one single bit.

For those who mention being terrified...I was so excited to retire but I also could not help but feel completely terrified. The crazy thing is, once my last day came and went, that fear totally went away. I can't explain why it happened, but I'm thrilled it did and I hope the same for you.

Very happy to be a part of the Retirement Class of 2022!
Topic Author
Miriam2

BH zoom meeting "One More Year" Syndrome- Wed Dec 7, 2022- 8:00 pm ET

Post by Miriam2 »

The Pre/Early Retirement Life Stage chapter is hosting an interesting zoom meeting on Wed. Dec. 7, 2022, starting at 8:00 pm ET on the pressing retirement question: Should I Work One More Year? fondly known as the One More Year Syndrome :mrgreen:

5 pm Pacific | 6 pm Mountain | 7 pm Central | 8 pm Eastern

This will be an open discussion with people sharing their experiences with "One More Year" Syndrome and how they handled this (or didn't handle it so well), what they learned from it (or wished they learned), how it affected their finances and ultimate retirement plans, etc. The meeting is informal, come as you are, and it's fine to keep your video off for anonymity.

"One More Year Syndrome" is the temptation to work just one more year past your planned retirement date, or deciding when to quit your job but then finding difficulty actually doing it.

Targeted audience: anyone who is thinking of retiring or has retired, and of course, all Bogleheads are invited to attend 8-)

You can RSVP for the meeting HERE - and all responses are anonymous. It's not necessary to RSVP to attend, come and bring all your Qs and enjoy the discussion.

HERE is the Zoom link for the meeting - and the full zoom link is also posted on the Bogleheads Calendar of Events.

Hope to see you there!
The Pre/Early Retirement Life Stage Chapter Coordinators
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

iluvzbeach wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:01 pm I am FREE!!!!! I returned my laptop, cell phone & badge on 11/10 and haven't given it another moment's thought. To say I've enjoyed every retired moment these past three weeks would be an understatement. It's everything I'd hoped for and more. I'm sleeping well, feel zero stress and have not worried about work one single bit.

For those who mention being terrified...I was so excited to retire but I also could not help but feel completely terrified. The crazy thing is, once my last day came and went, that fear totally went away. I can't explain why it happened, but I'm thrilled it did and I hope the same for you.

Very happy to be a part of the Retirement Class of 2022!
Congratulations! Welcome to the sunny side of the street 8-) Enjoyed your descriptions of turning in your work-self and beginning your new-self - and rest assured, you're not the only newbie retiree who has been both excited and terrified to retire from a life of work. We wish you a long exciting retirement, keep up the good sleep, zero stress and zero work worry, and enjoy all the good things this next phase of life brings :beer
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Calling all 2022 Bogleheads retirees - we're about ready for the End-of-the-Year Roll Call for this great Retirement Class of 2022 :happy
(but don't panic, our Retirement Roll Calls never really truly close)

Any Bogleheads retiring to Florida (ie. tropical paradise) ?? 🌴 8-)

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

Miriam2 wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 2:25 pm Calling all 2022 Bogleheads retirees - we're about ready for the End-of-the-Year Roll Call for this great Retirement Class of 2022 :happy
And a tip of the ol’ Boglehead retirement cap to you, Miriam2, for keeping these retirement classes in line! :D
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Kenkat wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 6:13 pm
Miriam2 wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 2:25 pm Calling all 2022 Bogleheads retirees - we're about ready for the End-of-the-Year Roll Call for this great Retirement Class of 2022 :happy
And a tip of the ol’ Boglehead retirement cap to you, Miriam2, for keeping these retirement classes in line! :D
Thank you! I'm gonna send this to my boss :D
EngCapt1

Post by EngCapt1 »

Miriam2 wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 2:25 pm Calling all 2022 Bogleheads retirees - we're about ready for the End-of-the-Year Roll Call for this great Retirement Class of 2022
Add me to the Class of 2022 :D

I retired from the fire department on 10/1/22 at age 48. A couple of years earlier than originally planned, but the wife and I agreed that the health/life risk of the job just wasn't worth adding a few extra dollars to the pension that already exceeds our expenses. After working 30 years in public safety, I'm thankful to have made it to this milestone in my career.

I delayed posting in this thread because I thought I might go work in another field, but it seems I'm quite content with spending my time on a few hobbies and volunteering at our church. I have no doubts that the knowledge I received while participating in this forum helped make this possible.

Retired Firefighter | 65% Equities/35% TSP G Fund
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

EngCapt1 wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:36 pm
Miriam2 wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 2:25 pm Calling all 2022 Bogleheads retirees - we're about ready for the End-of-the-Year Roll Call for this great Retirement Class of 2022
Add me to the Class of 2022 :D

I retired from the fire department on 10/1/22 at age 48. A couple of years earlier than originally planned, but the wife and I agreed that the health/life risk of the job just wasn't worth adding a few extra dollars to the pension that already exceeds our expenses. After working 30 years in public safety, I'm thankful to have made it to this milestone in my career.
Congratulations EngCapt1! And welcome to this Most Famous Fabulous Retirement Class for 2022! - you're on the Roll Call :D

Agree with your wife - time to retire. And after all, you already gave 30 years of good work in a most important position - thank you for your service but now it's time to go! LOL :beer
I delayed posting in this thread because I thought I might go work in another field, but it seems I'm quite content with spending my time on a few hobbies and volunteering at our church. I have no doubts that the knowledge I received while participating in this forum helped make this possible.

Perfect way to begin this very exciting new phase of life :happy We wish you all the best in settling into your new life and hope you enjoy many years of new experiences and fun times with family and friends.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Congratulations Bogleheads Retirement Class of 2022! Here's the End of the Year Roll Call :D

We have 94 very happy graduates!

Our oldest retirees are: docsully (77), Rennem (72), bad1bill (70), and cork (70).
Our youngest retirees are: jh (46), EngCapt1 (48), hoeboe (49), SunRainSnow (49), and Cockersx3 (49.9)

We have nine Most Senior Boglehead retirees who joined this wonderful Bogleheads forum in 2007, shortly after it began on Feb. 19, 2007:
D Newton 2-21-2007
Kenkat 3-1-2007
jamacq 3-4-2007
docsully 3-13-2007
Lacrocious 3-22-2007;
jh 5-14-2007
expo62- 5-21-2007
leftcoaster 7-23-2007
JRA 8-3-2007
:moneybag Must have some great portfolios!

And we have our Most Awesome Retiree => docsully - who retired this year at age 77 after 47 years at the same job :D 🎉

Our Graduation Class!! - Congratulations and best wishes for a wonderful retirement! :sharebeer
01 Jan - beernutz
01 Jan - old medic
01 Jan - aas (53)
02 Jan - bad1bill (70)
03 Jan - john0608 (65)
04 Jan - Atilla (54)
06 Jan - jamacq
07 Jan - Whatyear? (62)
29 Jan - Mrs Taz (58)
31 Jan - numerica
__ Jan - D Newton (65)
__ Jan - JIMX7
__ Jan - DinoNerd (64)

11 Feb - rocket123 (57)
27 Feb - Jeepergeo
__ Feb - happysteward

01 Mar - timshel
01 Mar - BobB (69)
31 Mar - apsuGuy (58)
__ Mar - GG1273 (63)
__ Mar - deserat (58)
__ Mar - LGAGA (56)

01 Apr - P&C Actuary
01 Apr - hoeboe (49)
01 Apr - 260chrisb (60)
08 Apr - augryphon
25 Apr - jnevada
29 Apr - rennem (72)
__ Apr - typical.investor (54)

01 May - nyone (58)
02 May - Lacrocious
04 May - Mybuterrier
06 May - leftcoaster (51)
06 May - Bass4 (58)
07 May - JRA (65)
07 May - squirrel1963
31 May - Bronko
31 May - DA200 (55)
31 May - Ricola
__ May - Tjb (63)

01 Jun - gristboy (60)
30 Jun - jh (46)
30 Jun - Runyer (63)
__ Jun - expo62 (59)

01 Jul - Viking65 (56)
01 Jul - desiderium (62)
01 Jul - docsully (77)
01 Jul - infotrader (61)
22 Jul - Kenkat (58)
30 Jul - blackburnian (64)
__ Jul - Californian
__ Jul - mjg (62)

01 Aug - augryphon (60)
01 Aug - tooluser (56)
01 Aug - Newby61 (61)
10 Aug - ocman
31 Aug - Feijao (53)
__ Aug - trallium (50)

01 Sep - Keeneland (59)
01 Sep - MastersChampion (57)
12 Sep - MNGopher (57)
30 Sep - Sealion (57)
30 Sep - Serie1926
30 Sep - Old Goat (56)

01 Oct - EngCapt1 (48)
__ Oct - Minerva90 (62)

10 Nov - iluvzbeach (52)
18 Nov - furiouschads (64)

09 Dec - Colorado14 (54)
16 Dec - thrifty_one
16 Dec - Longdog (57)
30 Dec - cork (70)
31 Dec - Yaquiway (58)
__ Dec - shiftyg (54)

__ ___ - txbear55 (66)
__ ___ - rich126
__ ___ - macman_65 (56)
__ ___ - MAKsdad
__ ___ - TheTimeLord <== Welcome to the Class!
__ ___ - JBTX (58)

HomerJ (class of 2021/2022 . . . to S&P 5,000 and beyond!! . . .)

Let me know if I left anyone out :mrgreen:

And remember - the Roll Call is never final - we're always open for new classmates and retirement stories and wild adventures.
Last edited by Miriam2 on Wed Jul 26, 2023 2:17 am, edited 5 times in total.
usa

Post by usa »

Hi, I moved my retirement date to 2/28/2023 (this year). Thanks!
ocman

Post by ocman »

Retired on 8-10-2022, that was the day I was 39 years in the trade, union sheet metal worker.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

usa wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 5:22 pm Hi, I moved my retirement date to 2/28/2023 (this year). Thanks!
Ok thanks for letting us know!
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

ocman wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:47 am Retired on 8-10-2022, that was the day I was 39 years in the trade, union sheet metal worker.
Welcome to the Retirement Roll Call, ocman, you're on the roster! And after 39 years in the trade as a union sheet metal worker you certainly deserve a Really Fabulous Retirement :D We wish you all the best for a relaxing time of life doing things on your own schedule. Please let us know whether you have any retirement plans 8-)
Methos1979

Post by Methos1979 »

Do we ever do a 'where are they/how are they doing now' update on these threads? We retired first of the year 2022 so we're a full year in and still loving it. For the most part, it was exactly what we thought and hoped it would be but we've also still learned quite a bit. Thought it would be neat to share stories with other 'classmates'.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

Methos1979 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:14 pm Do we ever do a 'where are they/how are they doing now' update on these threads? We retired first of the year 2022 so we're a full year in and still loving it. For the most part, it was exactly what we thought and hoped it would be but we've also still learned quite a bit. Thought it would be neat to share stories with other 'classmates'.
I retired 01 Aug last year, and set out today on my cross-country relocation after selling my house in Los Angeles. Prepping for, conducting, and moving due to the house sale was all-consuming. There was a lot of de-cluttering and cleaning before the listing (see my post up-thread). It took a little more than two months from retirement to initial listing, and then a little more than two months after that to get an acceptable offer. Then final packing and getting rid of stuff that didn't move, on a deadline to close of escrow. It was a never ending cavalcade of To Do items each day.

I feel like the house work is about all I have done so far. It feels good to be done with that. I am currently homeless and in transit, but once I arrive in the new locale I will luckily be able to live with a relative until I buy a house on the other end.

Winds are variable and brisk, visibility is low, but maps and provisions are overflowing. Onward!
Like good comrades to the utmost of their strength, we shall go on to the end. -- Winston Churchill
cockersx3

Post by cockersx3 »

Love to hear the updates! Here's mine:

I left my job almost 5 months ago, and so far it's been great! I led a major volunteer effort for about two months at my daughter's school immediately after leaving the job, so I really didn't "feel retired" until that was over with. Since then I've started to get back into my software development hobby, and am almost done with an on-line React.js course that has been really cool. I now need to come with a (relatively) simple web app to code out to test my skills, since (even after coding along with the course) I feel that I generally learn better by doing new things. So we'll see - if I come up with anything that's not embarrassing I'll be sure to share with you all :-)

Other than that, my youngest is now driving, so - in addition to the even higher car insurance bill LOL - my wife and I are now "freed up" to do more things on our own while she is at activities. We've discovered a number of great craft breweries in our area, and we frequently go out with other soon-to-be-empty-nester parents which has been a lot of fun. Just living things day to day at this point, and enjoying the last year or two of having my kid at home.

Biggest surprise so far is how no one really seems to notice that I am no longer employed. I worked remotely for years before leaving, and so some of that absence of interest in my employment situation has been expected. But I figured that eventually, someone would ask how things were going at work. I have a "cover story" ready if someone asks, but....no one has even brought it up, not even once. Part of this is (I think) because I live within commutable distance to DC, so I suspect that there are a lot of people around me that a) still work from home too, and b) aren't allowed to discuss what they do at work. I also suspect that it may be just a bias of my own - ie that no one really cares about other people's jobs as much as we sometimes may think they do.

I think one of the two big challenges I've had is developing some sort of daily routine, since without one feel like I have nothing to show for how I spent some days. At first it was relaxing to do nothing (and in the immortal words of Peter Gibbons - it was everything I thought it would be!), but now I feel like I need to have more structure in my day. I've been playing around with different schedule ideas, and feel like I'm getting closer. But at the same time, I'm not in a big hurry for it. I'm definitely looking forward to more consistently good weather, which will allow me to spend more time outside and better fill my day. (I will say that "ideas to fill my day" don't involve my former career at all! I have not had any urge at all to go back to my old profession.)

The other big challenge is trying to get my head around all of the decumulation options available now. I went into this with a plan, but the more I look at it the more "rabbit holes" I find to go down. Again, I'm not really worried about it - my sense is that there isn't a "perfect" answer, but a range of options that are all generally good - but my engineer mindset still makes me want to tinker with ideas. Right now I'm reviewing the threads on Roth conversions and how to pay associated taxes, so that I can potentially do my first Roth conversion at the end of the year. (I'm waiting just in case I do decide to take on a consulting role somewhere, for some crazy reason.)

Best of luck to all of you on your retirement!
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Methos1979 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:14 pm Do we ever do a 'where are they/how are they doing now' update on these threads? We retired first of the year 2022 so we're a full year in and still loving it. For the most part, it was exactly what we thought and hoped it would be but we've also still learned quite a bit. Thought it would be neat to share stories with other 'classmates'.
You can share your stories right here and now :D Happy to know you're loving your retirement! What did you learn about retirement that was different than you thought it would be?
mjg

Post by mjg »

Do you want late enrollees or not, lol?

Retired July 2022 at the age of 67. It's been a bit of an adjustment as I mostly enjoyed my work (liked fellow workers, unhappy with my management chain [in another state after 2020 changes], frustrated with general big corporate environment changes), but my spouse was pushing for my hanging it up as she thought the stress was not good for me. I downplayed the stress as in my mind it wasn't that bad and was just a part of life you deal with - but now seven months later I can see that it's good to be away from that stress.

I'm blessed with a large property (10+ acres) we built new in 2019/2020, and moving in end of January 2020. With the craziness of Covid, having the land was a real blessing. There's been plenty to do property wise (fencing, getting a barn built in 2021, getting garage workshop in order), but it's still somewhat of continuing adjustment. Thankfully in good health, and able to go for 2 to 4 mile walks whenever I choose (just around my property is a half mile walk down and up 200 ft of elevation change on a dirt path we have for getting around the property).

I would like to be doing more travel right now than my spouse (big believer in the "we are not getting any younger so need to travel early in retirement not later"), but while she enjoys travel once I get her somewhere, she's very content not to go on trips. In fairness, there's six dogs, chickens, and a dozen sheep that need to be cared for when we go -- and this requires a trusted and capable house sitter that stays here and does daily chores, ie it's not as simple as get up and go.

In any event, as I type this I realize that anything that sounds like complaining needs to just be put away as overall it's a well earned wonderful retirement in the big picture.
SunRainSnow

Post by SunRainSnow »

Nice to see some of my fellow cohorts enjoying the 'retired' life! For me it's had to believe I'm coming up to a year since I left full time employment and it's been absolutely wonderful, truly wonderful!

As I approached my last day I was asked if I would (initially change my mind, then) be open to consulting. I had trip planned immediately after my last day so I said I'd come back in after my trip and see how everyone feels. Trip was great, first trip in years without any work interruption, and I truly felt refreshed at the end, along with not having that sick feeling in my stomach for the last two days of the trip! Agreed to do some consulting to suit my schedule and that has worked out nicely for all involved. I don't do more than 4 hours a week and am not available when I go on vacation. The extra money is nice, though not life changing, and the soft exit from the workforce I think is a good idea. I'd agreed to a year of consulting so we're due to talk about continuing here in the next few weeks. It's an arrangement I like so I'll keep it going if my employer agrees to it, if not I won't be too upset.

From a financial point of view my portfolio has dropped quite a lot since I handed my notice in and currently sits lower today than the day I walked out the door as a W2 for the last time. That being said I'm not worried at all about it, my extra income covers essentials and I'm currently pulling from my cash buffer at a very low withdrawal rate. With about 10 years in bonds I sleep well. I use the VPW spreadsheet to guide what I could spend each month and like that tool a lot.

Now to the fun bit! What have I been doing with my time? Well I've been on four multi week trips, something I never had the opportunity to do while working. Vacations are even better when not working I find, not cramming everything into a week or ten days. I've been spending a lot of time outside, an afternoon in the library, and generally enjoying my newly found freedom from work. It's not the most exciting compared to some I suppose but I'm really, really happy. My health has improved, I sleep (a lot) better and I have a calm about me that I never knew existed! As mentioned earlier it's been wonderful, truly wonderful!

Thanks to all the help over the years to get me to this point and I'm sure I'll be calling on the knowledgeable folks here as I continue on my journey!
Wannaretireearly

Post by Wannaretireearly »

SunRainSnow wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:11 am Nice to see some of my fellow cohorts enjoying the 'retired' life! For me it's had to believe I'm coming up to a year since I left full time employment and it's been absolutely wonderful, truly wonderful!

As I approached my last day I was asked if I would (initially change my mind, then) be open to consulting. I had trip planned immediately after my last day so I said I'd come back in after my trip and see how everyone feels. Trip was great, first trip in years without any work interruption, and I truly felt refreshed at the end, along with not having that sick feeling in my stomach for the last two days of the trip! Agreed to do some consulting to suit my schedule and that has worked out nicely for all involved. I don't do more than 4 hours a week and am not available when I go on vacation. The extra money is nice, though not life changing, and the soft exit from the workforce I think is a good idea. I'd agreed to a year of consulting so we're due to talk about continuing here in the next few weeks. It's an arrangement I like so I'll keep it going if my employer agrees to it, if not I won't be too upset.

From a financial point of view my portfolio has dropped quite a lot since I handed my notice in and currently sits lower today than the day I walked out the door as a W2 for the last time. That being said I'm not worried at all about it, my extra income covers essentials and I'm currently pulling from my cash buffer at a very low withdrawal rate. With about 10 years in bonds I sleep well. I use the VPW spreadsheet to guide what I could spend each month and like that tool a lot.

Now to the fun bit! What have I been doing with my time? Well I've been on four multi week trips, something I never had the opportunity to do while working. Vacations are even better when not working I find, not cramming everything into a week or ten days. I've been spending a lot of time outside, an afternoon in the library, and generally enjoying my newly found freedom from work. It's not the most exciting compared to some I suppose but I'm really, really happy. My health has improved, I sleep (a lot) better and I have a calm about me that I never knew existed! As mentioned earlier it's been wonderful, truly wonderful!

Thanks to all the help over the years to get me to this point and I'm sure I'll be calling on the knowledgeable folks here as I continue on my journey!
Love your post!! Any more details on the multi week trips you can share? Feel free to point me to your blog ;)

So happy to hear your experience, gives me a lot of hope and things to look forward to.
“At some point you are trading time you will never get back for money you will never spend.“ | “How do you want to spend the best remaining year of your life?“
Jeepergeo

Post by Jeepergeo »

SunRainSnow wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:11 am Nice to see some of my fellow cohorts enjoying the 'retired' life! For me it's had to believe I'm coming up to a year since I left full time employment and it's been absolutely wonderful, truly wonderful!

^^^^This is success. Congratulations.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

mjg wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:18 am Do you want late enrollees or not, lol?
Of course! Never too late to be part of the Most Awesome Retirement Roll Call in the world, actually in the universe and on the internet :D
mjg wrote:Retired July 2022 at the age of 67. It's been a bit of an adjustment as I mostly enjoyed my work (liked fellow workers, unhappy with my management chain [in another state after 2020 changes], frustrated with general big corporate environment changes), but my spouse was pushing for my hanging it up as she thought the stress was not good for me. I downplayed the stress as in my mind it wasn't that bad and was just a part of life you deal with - but now seven months later I can see that it's good to be away from that stress.
Good! You enjoyed good work and now you can enjoy a truly splendid retirement without all that stress.
Welcome to the Retirement Roll Call, mjg, and we hope you enjoy being part of the Retirement Class of 2022! :D
mjg wrote:I'm blessed with a large property (10+ acres) we built new in 2019/2020, and moving in end of January 2020. With the craziness of Covid, having the land was a real blessing. There's been plenty to do property wise (fencing, getting a barn built in 2021, getting garage workshop in order), but it's still somewhat of continuing adjustment. Thankfully in good health, and able to go for 2 to 4 mile walks whenever I choose (just around my property is a half mile walk down and up 200 ft of elevation change on a dirt path we have for getting around the property).

I would like to be doing more travel right now than my spouse (big believer in the "we are not getting any younger so need to travel early in retirement not later"), but while she enjoys travel once I get her somewhere, she's very content not to go on trips. In fairness, there's six dogs, chickens, and a dozen sheep that need to be cared for when we go -- and this requires a trusted and capable house sitter that stays here and does daily chores, ie it's not as simple as get up and go.
Yikes :annoyed well, when you find your helper, "pay well and critique little." Sounds like an incredible piece of retirement property and we hope you continue to enjoy setting it up and using it for all your projects.
mjg wrote:In any event, as I type this I realize that anything that sounds like complaining needs to just be put away as overall it's a well earned wonderful retirement in the big picture.
We certainly agree and hope it continues to be a well-earned wonderful retirement :D Thank you for sharing your experience - Bogleheads have interesting and varied retirement plans and living arrangements and interests and hobbies. Wishing you many years of enjoyment and good health and a wonderful outlook on your life :beer
houseofnine

Post by houseofnine »

At 55, I’ll be leaving my job/career at the end of this year. Does it count if I still want to do something else regardless of what it pays (if anything)? If yes, count me in! If no, no worries. Either way, congratulations to all!
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

houseofnine wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:32 am At 55, I’ll be leaving my job/career at the end of this year. Does it count if I still want to do something else regardless of what it pays (if anything)? If yes, count me in! If no, no worries. Either way, congratulations to all!
Hi houseofnine! - Are you leaving your job at the end of "this year," meaning 2023? If so, let me know and I'll move you over to the Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2023 :D
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

It was sheer delight reading your retirement update post, SunRainSnow! Hope you continue to have such joy in life :happy
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

More Retirement Updates!
tooluser wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:35 pm I retired 01 Aug last year, and set out today on my cross-country relocation after selling my house in Los Angeles. Prepping for, conducting, and moving due to the house sale was all-consuming. There was a lot of de-cluttering and cleaning before the listing (see my post up-thread). It took a little more than two months from retirement to initial listing, and then a little more than two months after that to get an acceptable offer. Then final packing and getting rid of stuff that didn't move, on a deadline to close of escrow. It was a never ending cavalcade of To Do items each day.

I feel like the house work is about all I have done so far. It feels good to be done with that. I am currently homeless and in transit, but once I arrive in the new locale I will luckily be able to live with a relative until I buy a house on the other end.

Winds are variable and brisk, visibility is low, but maps and provisions are overflowing. Onward!
Tooluser - you still take The Big Prize for retirement decluttering and downsizing and moving in the Blink of an Eye - aka The Kondo Award :beer

We wish you continued energy and stamina in your new adventure!
houseofnine

Post by houseofnine »

Miriam2 wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:24 pm
houseofnine wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:32 am At 55, I’ll be leaving my job/career at the end of this year. Does it count if I still want to do something else regardless of what it pays (if anything)? If yes, count me in! If no, no worries. Either way, congratulations to all!
Hi houseofnine! - Are you leaving your job at the end of "this year," meaning 2023? If so, let me know and I'll move you over to the Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2023 :D
Indeed, I am leaving my job at the end of 2023! Looks like I walked into the wrong class. Wouldn’t be the first time!
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Miriam2 wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:24 pm Hi houseofnine! - Are you leaving your job at the end of "this year," meaning 2023? If so, let me know and I'll move you over to the Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2023 :D
houseofnine wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:02 pm Indeed, I am leaving my job at the end of 2023! Looks like I walked into the wrong class. Wouldn’t be the first time!
Haha! Don't panic, we'll move you over to the Really Awesome Retirement Class of 2023, so you have nine months to get all your retirement papers in order and plan your get-away! You can do it - after all, it only takes 9 months to have a baby :shock: not that I'm suggesting it :D but 9 months will be here before you know it!
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Another retirement update! I really enjoyed reading your update Cockersx3 - thank you so much for taking the time to post this! :D
cockersx3 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:44 am Love to hear the updates! Here's mine:

I left my job almost 5 months ago, and so far it's been great! I led a major volunteer effort for about two months at my daughter's school immediately after leaving the job, so I really didn't "feel retired" until that was over with. Since then I've started to get back into my software development hobby, and am almost done with an on-line React.js course that has been really cool. I now need to come with a (relatively) simple web app to code out to test my skills, since (even after coding along with the course) I feel that I generally learn better by doing new things. So we'll see - if I come up with anything that's not embarrassing I'll be sure to share with you all :-)

Other than that, my youngest is now driving, so - in addition to the even higher car insurance bill LOL - my wife and I are now "freed up" to do more things on our own while she is at activities. We've discovered a number of great craft breweries in our area, and we frequently go out with other soon-to-be-empty-nester parents which has been a lot of fun. Just living things day to day at this point, and enjoying the last year or two of having my kid at home.

Biggest surprise so far is how no one really seems to notice that I am no longer employed. I worked remotely for years before leaving, and so some of that absence of interest in my employment situation has been expected. But I figured that eventually, someone would ask how things were going at work. I have a "cover story" ready if someone asks, but....no one has even brought it up, not even once. Part of this is (I think) because I live within commutable distance to DC, so I suspect that there are a lot of people around me that a) still work from home too, and b) aren't allowed to discuss what they do at work. I also suspect that it may be just a bias of my own - ie that no one really cares about other people's jobs as much as we sometimes may think they do.

I think one of the two big challenges I've had is developing some sort of daily routine, since without one feel like I have nothing to show for how I spent some days. At first it was relaxing to do nothing (and in the immortal words of Peter Gibbons - it was everything I thought it would be!), but now I feel like I need to have more structure in my day. I've been playing around with different schedule ideas, and feel like I'm getting closer. But at the same time, I'm not in a big hurry for it. I'm definitely looking forward to more consistently good weather, which will allow me to spend more time outside and better fill my day. (I will say that "ideas to fill my day" don't involve my former career at all! I have not had any urge at all to go back to my old profession.)

The other big challenge is trying to get my head around all of the decumulation options available now. I went into this with a plan, but the more I look at it the more "rabbit holes" I find to go down. Again, I'm not really worried about it - my sense is that there isn't a "perfect" answer, but a range of options that are all generally good - but my engineer mindset still makes me want to tinker with ideas. Right now I'm reviewing the threads on Roth conversions and how to pay associated taxes, so that I can potentially do my first Roth conversion at the end of the year. (I'm waiting just in case I do decide to take on a consulting role somewhere, for some crazy reason.)

Best of luck to all of you on your retirement!
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

tooluser wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:35 pm
I retired 01 Aug last year, and set out today on my cross-country relocation after selling my house in Los Angeles. Prepping for, conducting, and moving due to the house sale was all-consuming. There was a lot of de-cluttering and cleaning before the listing (see my post up-thread). It took a little more than two months from retirement to initial listing, and then a little more than two months after that to get an acceptable offer. Then final packing and getting rid of stuff that didn't move, on a deadline to close of escrow. It was a never ending cavalcade of To Do items each day.

One year after retirement:

After a joyous and relaxed journey I dropped anchor in the town I grew up in, to stay with a relative. Five months later I have an accepted offer on a home in that town, and will soon have a base of operations for further world explorations over the coming decade or two at least.

It has been really good to reconnect more regularly with family and friends. My old stomping grounds are much more alive and fun than when I left so many years ago. Experiencing the change of seasons from late winter to high summer, and the different weather, has also been a pleasant surprise after decades on the west coast. I apologize for bringing the wildfires and smoke east with me.

It's very nice to see inflation coming down. Somehow I've managed not to touch my retirement savings for the past year and just live on the pension. That will change after I become a homeowner and vacationer again, but it was a great way to start out.

Winds are currently calm with occasional rain showers. Visibility clear to the horizon. Maps and provisions still overflowing.
Like good comrades to the utmost of their strength, we shall go on to the end. -- Winston Churchill
Wannaretireearly

Post by Wannaretireearly »

tooluser wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 8:01 pm
tooluser wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:35 pm

One year after retirement:

After a joyous and relaxed journey I dropped anchor in the town I grew up in, to stay with a relative. Five months later I have an accepted offer on a home in that town, and will soon have a base of operations for further world explorations over the coming decade or two at least.

It has been really good to reconnect more regularly with family and friends. My old stomping grounds are much more alive and fun than when I left so many years ago. Experiencing the change of seasons from late winter to high summer, and the different weather, has also been a pleasant surprise after decades on the west coast. I apologize for bringing the wildfires and smoke east with me.

It's very nice to see inflation coming down. Somehow I've managed not to touch my retirement savings for the past year and just live on the pension. That will change after I become a homeowner and vacationer again, but it was a great way to start out.

Winds are currently calm with occasional rain showers. Visibility clear to the horizon. Maps and provisions still overflowing.
Love this. Go forward and prosper ;)
“At some point you are trading time you will never get back for money you will never spend.“ | “How do you want to spend the best remaining year of your life?“