Morocco travel tips

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Samatha

Morocco travel tips

Post by Samatha »

We're considering a trip to Morocco but on some forums (not Bogleheads) there are reports that the situation there has gotten bad and bribes need to be paid at airports and to police, and rental car agencies and street vendors routinely defraud tourists. We're experienced international travelers and have driven in many foreign countries. We've seen our share of people trying to scam us but thankfully haven't been seriously victimized yet. Wondering if anyone has recently traveled to Morocco and your experience with driving around the country. Is it a pretty typical country in terms of crime and fraud or is it worse than most? How's the signage? Road conditions? Car rental agencies? Thanks!
Freefun

Re: Morocco travel tips

Post by Freefun »

been to morocco but only on business and that was a very long time ago. I recommend you monitor the US state department (and record their contact info)

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel ... isory.html
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?
yatesd

Post by yatesd »

According to the map looks as safe as Europe. I was in Spain and visited Gibraltar. Had a chance to see Morocco from a distance but not enough time to take a ferry. Maybe next time. Have fun!
SailorManDan

Post by SailorManDan »

I visited Morocco for a few months and had a brother and family live there for close to 10 years. Not familiar with car rentals but traveled the country by car (and train) as roads and signage are mostly decent. It helps tremendously if you know French as it’s like a second language there. If you are experienced travelers then you shouldn’t have a serious problem and are probably good at situational awareness. Yes, petty crime and ALL street vendors will attempt to extrapolate as much from your wallet as possible but that’s most places (you just need to be good at bartering as it’s like a game there). Generally, Morocco is very pro-USA compared to other Arab countries. If you stay out of the large cities you could have less worries about petty street crime. If you rent a car take detailed pictures (or video) before signing.

I’d recommend Casablanca flying in/out, Marrakesh for the huge outdoor market, Asni where Branson owns a hotel among the mountains, Agadir & Essaouira as good beach towns, Fes for the winding market roads and Tangier for the launch point if heading north to cross the Strait into Spain. I stayed overnight in all above towns are people were generally friendly to me as American. I was told to stay away from Western Sahara as too much unrest over who controls.
Fat Lip

Post by Fat Lip »

We hired a car in Marrakesh and drove to the Atlas mountains and back a few years ago. Stayed at Kasbah du Toubkal in the mountains which I highly recommend. Driving was fairly easy on decent roads and we had no issues getting around. We didn't have any issues with officialdom either. We didn't have a hire car the whole time and got to other places like Essaouira by bus which was also fine.

There is a constant hard sell from vendors and touts when out and about, and it is annoying. It is definitely worse than average in terms of getting hassle. Just be firmly polite and move on. We didn't come across scams as such, though we met locals who were extra friendly and wanted to show us around but then expected to be paid. We had a taxi driver who claimed he didn't have change but then found change when pressed. That type of low level stuff. Overall it was a great trip though.
makeitcount

Post by makeitcount »

I went about 20 years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. The comments about being hassled for sales, etc. in the streets are accurate. Keep an eye on your valuables. I found the people to be welcoming and respectful of a definite "no" when appropriate.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just like, uh, your opinion, man." - J. Lebowski
weimanxi

Post by weimanxi »

My husband and son (20) went to Marrakech in early January for a belated graduation trip (COVID). They used taxis around the city and had a driver take them into the Atlas mountains. No worries or complaints other than, as others have said, ridiculous haggling/ripoffs in the market, but nothing that either of them couldn't manage. My son did mention the prevalence of begging, which did bother him a bit. They both expected to use my husband's high school French, but got by with English and a few Arabic words. It was a trip of a lifetime for them.
twh

Post by twh »

My nephew and niece just went for like 10 days and no issues.

EDIT: My niece had a Morocco National Soccer team jacket that she wore and that was a big ice breaker given their performance in the World Cup.
Last edited by twh on Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dan7800

Post by dan7800 »

I went to Marrakesh about 7 years ago. If you're not like them, they do definitely look down upon you and treat you poorly. You can tell that that they are always trying to scam you.

The tea is great.
bberris

Post by bberris »

I recommend Banatrol.
Don't drink the water.