2.5 days in Memphis

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
psteinx

2.5 days in Memphis

Post by psteinx »

Will likely be in Memphis for ~2.5 days later this week. Have done tourism in Memphis before, so this is not new ground to me, but still...

Me, wife (both 50s), daughter (17). Staying downtown, at/near Peabody.

Plan to do Civil Rights museum - did this ~8 years ago, D was a little young for it then, and that was before its big renovation.

Not Graceland (have done and enjoyed it, but no need to rehash.)

Probably a quick visit to glass Bass Pro pyramid (done it, think it's meh, but wife and kid want to go).

Have not done Memphis Zoo or Botanical Garden before - like zoos and gardens, but have a high bar for this (hometown of St. Louis has excellent examples of both).

D is good at saxophone, been doing it for years, leans jazz. Maybe visit Beale Street at night for music (though I imagine it's more blues/soul). Mild concerns about safety and appropriate-ness for 17 y.o. Specific recommendations/thoughts?

Mud Island museum is closed, we'll skip. I liked the little cotton museum downtown, wife and D have not seen it, maybe I persuade them to go. I liked Pink Palace years ago, could do again.

To eat - have enjoyed in past: Gus's hot chicken, H[something] restaurant near Peabody (toothpicks in ceiling, college-vibe), dessert bar by ducks in Peabody. Diner in south downtown (near civil rights museum) that has Elvis connections. Others?

How is downtown/Beale safety these days? Day/night? Streetcar thing still working and reasonably safe/reliable?
Last edited by psteinx on Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neilpilot

Re: 2.5 days in Memphis

Post by neilpilot »

Belz museum is a hidden gem, https://belzmuseum.org/

Toothpicks in ceiling H is Huey’s
Johm221122

Post by Johm221122 »

The zoo isn't really as good in winter/spring. A lot of the exhibits are not running full speed
Downtown is horrible in my opinion compared to past. The Peabody and Beale street are good for tourists but the rest I would pass on.
Bass pro is fair if your family wants to include it.
NotWhoYouThink

Post by NotWhoYouThink »

The cherry blossoms near the botanical gardens are spectacular when in bloom, you may be hitting the right week.

Other than that, the zoo and botanical garden have nothing on St. Louis.

The River Walk across the I-55 bridge is fun and safe.

Visit the pyramid for fun if you like, it's a bit overwhelming and very American. Brunch at Paulette's.
Gort

Post by Gort »

psteinx wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:06 am Will likely be in Memphis for ~2.5 days later this week. Have done tourism in Memphis a couple times, so this is not new ground to me, but still...

Me, wife (both 50s), daughter (17). Staying downtown, at/near Peabody.

Plan to do Civil Rights museum - did this ~8 years ago, D was a little young for it then, and that was before its big renovation.

Not Graceland (have done and enjoyed it, but no need to rehash.

Probably a quick visit to glass Bass Pro pyramid (done it, think it's meh, but wife and kid want to go).

Have not done Memphis Zoo or Botanical Garden before - like zoos and gardens, but have a high bar for this (hometown of St. Louis has excellent examples of both).

D is good at saxophone, been doing it for years, leans jazz. Maybe visit Beale Street at night for music (though I imagine it's more blues/soul). Mild concerns about safety and appropriate-ness for 17 y.o. Specific recommendations/thoughts?

Mud Island museum is closed, we'll skip. I liked the little cotton museum downtown, wife and D have not seen it, maybe I persuade them to go. I liked Pink Palace years ago, could do again.

To eat - have enjoyed in past: Gus's hot chicken, H[something] restaurant near Peabody (toothpicks in ceiling, college-vibe), dessert bar by ducks in Peabody. Diner in south downtown (near civil rights museum) that has Elvis connections. Others?

How is downtown/Beale safety these days? Day/night? Streetcar thing still working and reasonably safe/reliable?
Alcohol is the main entertainment feature on Beale Street at night. The Rendezvous for ribs would be a good choice for a restaurant if you haven't been there before.
Last edited by Gort on Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
psteinx

Post by psteinx »

Gort wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:35 pm Alcohol is the main entertainment feature on Beale Street at night.
Hmm, if it's just the Memphis version of New Orleans' Bourbon Street, that's unappealing.

If there's good live music, without too much debauchery, that appeals...
Gort

Post by Gort »

psteinx wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:39 pm
Gort wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:35 pm Alcohol is the main entertainment feature on Beale Street at night.
Hmm, if it's just the Memphis version of New Orleans' Bourbon Street, that's unappealing.

There can be some good music there. Usually you can hear it from the street as you walk by and decide where you want to go. Not as much debauchery as New Orleans, but still plenty of alcohol. Memphis police keep it pretty well under control. I added "The Rendezvous for ribs would be a good choice for a restaurant if you haven't been there before" while you were posting.
Abe

Post by Abe »

psteinx wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:06 am To eat - have enjoyed in past: H[something] restaurant near Peabody (toothpicks in ceiling, college-vibe),
I believe the restaurant near the Peabody is "Hueys"
The Rendezvous is worth going to, also close to the Peabody.
ETA Botanical Garden is nice when the azaleas are blooming, but I think it's a little early for that except for maybe a few early varieties.
Slow and steady wins the race.
teCh0010

Post by teCh0010 »

I’ve been to St Louis Zoo and Memphis Zoo, I would still go to the Memphis Zoo.

Food wise you can’t go wrong going back to Gus’s.
Check out Cozy Corner BBQ and try the Cornish Hen, BBQ Shop, and Interstate BBQ (Lunch) as well.
artpennypacker

Post by artpennypacker »

psteinx wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:39 pm

There will likely be music but mostly rock played live. Some blues and country live depending on where you go. If you go early enough during a weekday or very early during a weekend it should be somewhat calm but some places with music may be checking ids and be of drinking age. Not as wild as French quarter at night, but you’ll see the occasional vomit in the street, homeless, and hustlers. Police presence there is heavy however.

Depending on time of year maybe a baseball game downtown.

Restaurant wise restaurant iris in midtown is very good, but I think they moved. Most of my favorite restaurants were in midtown, and heuys has several locations in town.

I think Peabody does a jazz brunch but those days may be gone. Boscos used to do a low key jazz brunch in midtown. Of course Owen brennans does a huge jazz brunch too depending on when you’re there.
ellsbebc

Post by ellsbebc »

Stax Museum or Sun Studio are must-haves if you are into the music scene.
UpsetRaptor

Post by UpsetRaptor »

Had a similar trip several years ago. We did Beale St, had some ribs there at a moderate high-end place I forget (not The Rendezvous), toured Sun Studios, Civil Rights museum, and the Pyramid. If you're looking to drink do Beale, if you're into music and/or music history do Sun Studios (and probably Stax too though we didn't do it), and if you're into outdoorsy stuff the Pyramid is like the Ultimate Bass Pro of anywhere, which I found really neat. Civil Rights museum was probably my favorite though. Got to stand on the ledge where MLK was shot. And they made a nice museum out of it in general.

Note: Memphis style ribs are more sweet, KC style more savory. Personal preference, I found the ribs underwhelming vs back home.
Outer Marker

Post by Outer Marker »

Wild Bills - authentic, local spot for blues, wings, beer, off the beaten tourist track of Beale St.

Payne's BBQ - open only for lunch. An interesting mustard-type sauce that is unique and tasty. Excellent sandwiches.

You can find better ribs than the Randevu. It's a bit of a tourist trap. Mass dining hall experience. I'd avoid it.
Chicken lady

Post by Chicken lady »

If you get to Interstate BBQ - try their barbecue spaghetti. It's a novelty but good if you like barbecue pork and spaghetti. Never seen it anywhere else.
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

Second for Interstate and BBQ spaghetti, though I think their BBQ itself and sauce is the best in town, though Central is typically voted that way (Mainly because the voters are no a cross section, I believe) and Belz Museum. Grizzly game with Rockets on 24th. Beale Street generally fine, particularly if you are staying nearby. Civil Rights Museum has upgrades since you were last there. Memphis zoo has been voted best nationally on several occasions, though there is a current, under-reported issue of recent death of one of the Pandas and scheduled return to China of the other. Little early but Cherry trees blooming at Botanic Garden area. Restaurant Iris has moved. It is in the Poplar-Perkins area now where Grove Grill was formerly located. Old Dominick distillery tour is interesting. Relatively new but growing.

Tim
rad597

Post by rad597 »

Flight restaurant is great for fine dining downtown. Central BBQ downtown is good too.
NotWhoYouThink

Post by NotWhoYouThink »

Oh, and Gibson's donuts.

OK, good doughnuts are not that hard to make. But I love that place, and so do my kids and neices/nephews. Go Bulldogs!
elvistcb

Post by elvistcb »

ellsbebc wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:43 pm Stax Museum or Sun Studio are must-haves if you are into the music scene.
If you go to Stax, (which is cool to visit) check out Coletta's Italian Restaurant on S. Parkway. Claim to have invented BBQ pizza (with real Memphis BBQ, so good!) and you can sit in the Elvis chair. Love Gus and Central BBQ. Uncle Lou's Chicken is good also, but it is by Graceland/Airport so go during the day. When in Memphis, I always go to Corky's on Poplar, but it's a drive. Not a fan of Rendezvous. Pink Palace is interesting if you haven't been!
mesaverde

Post by mesaverde »

I recommend walking off the great food at:
1. Mud Island (you could park at/near the bridge that links Mud Island to downtown, and walk upriver from there. Very safe and scenic views of the river.
2. The pedestrian river walk across the I-55 bridge. Very scenic, especially from Arkansas looking back at Memphis.
"Learn from the past, live in the present, plan for the future"