Question for Arches National Park

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
FB01

Question for Arches National Park

Post by FB01 »

Hi,

I am planning 4 days in Moab during Spring break with kids (11 and 13).

Day 1- Arches National Park
Day 2 - Canyonland National Park (Island of the Sky part) and Dead Horse Point State Park
Day 3 - I am keeping reserve for spillover if we are not able to cover anything from Day 1 and 2

Question for Day 4: For the last day, what park should I cover ( I am staying Moab only so will have to drive). I have already covered Zion and Bryce before

1) Capitol Reef National Park - 2.5 hour from Moab
2) Monument Valley - 3 hours from Moab
3) Mesa Verde National Park - 2 hours from Moab
4) Goblin Valley State Park - 1.5 hours from Moab

Any suggestions who have gone before with kids would be helpful.
Thanks, | FB
doobiedoo

Re: Question for Arches National Park

Post by doobiedoo »

I recommend a rafting trip with someone like Moab Adventure Center [assuming everyone knows how to swim].
We did the all-day Westwater Canyon rafting in June. It was terrific! And your kids are at the right age.

https://www.moabadventurecenter.com/moab-river-rafting
mhc

Post by mhc »

We have always enjoyed the needles section of canyonlands. It is not as crowded. The cowboy camp is a fun hike for kids. Look for the hand pictographs on the underneath side of the cliff overhang. Also stop at newspaper rock before you enter the park.

I would do a separate trip to Mesa Verde and hit all the other sites around it. There are quite a few national monuments in that area.
52% TSM, 23% TISM, 24.5% TBM, 0.5% cash
Topic Author
FB01

Post by FB01 »

doobiedoo wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:08 pm I recommend a rafting trip with someone like Moab Adventure Center [assuming everyone knows how to swim].
We did the all-day Westwater Canyon rafting in June. It was terrific! And your kids are at the right age.

Wouldn't the water be pretty chilly in April?
Thanks, | FB
radiowave

Post by radiowave »

FB01 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:27 pm Hi,

Day 2 - Canyonland National Park (Island of the Sky part) and Dead Horse Point State Park
Day 3 - I am keeping reserve for spillover if we are not able to cover anything from Day 1 and 2

Question for Day 4: For the last day, what park should I cover ( I am staying Moab only so will have to drive). I have already covered Zion and Bryce before

Tough call, been to all of them . . . I would scratch off Goblin Valley, mostly just mud hoodoos which are interesting but not to the degree of the others. I liked Capital Reef and there is an excellent restaurant in Torrey UT just outside CR called Cafe Diablo. Been to Mesa Verde twice, both excellent but other than a short hike to the main sites, not much else there. So I would choose Monument Valley as the choice for a day trip from Moab. Be sure to watch one of the John Wayne movies (5 of them) filmed on location. BTW, you can do Arches and Islands in the Sky in one day, actually I liked Canyonlands better than Arches and has fewer crowds.
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page
tfunk

Post by tfunk »

Goblin Valley State Park is pretty interesting and is on the way to Capital Reef.
Another alternative would be Natural Bridges National Monument - about 2 hours 15 minutes away. Several interesting arches there.
Edge of the Cedars Museum in Blanding is enroute and very interesting.
Also, there are a couple of ancient ruins enroute from Blanding to Natural Bridges.
You will also get a nice view of Bears Ears on the drive up to Natural Bridges.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

My only comment is that we loved Dead Horse Point State Park, which is 25 miles from Arches... in between Arches and Canyonlands. You can do the unambitious casual park-car-and-stroll-type visit in half a day.

Everybody takes this exact same picture from this exact same viewpoint... this one is mine.

Last edited by nisiprius on Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
radiowave

Post by radiowave »

BTW, in Moab, check out the Corona Arch trail not too far from town and some great hiking appropriate for your kids ages. Wide open space, good bouldering and mild rock climbing, off the beaten track so not too crowded. https://www.google.com/maps/place/Coro ... 1pr7hdnm1
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

As mentioned by mhc, the Needles section of Canyonlands is a great option. As Capitol Reef NP and Goblin Valley State Park are in the same direction, you could get a taste of both but that would require a long day and early start; daylight during spring break isn't quite like it is in June. I prefer Capitol Reef but Goblin is closer and would save 2 hrs of driving.

However, with respect to the day 3 "spillover", your day 2 plan should be sufficient time to cover Island in the Sky and Dead Horse State Park. Perhaps day 3 should be Needles and perhaps some additional Arches for a few hours late in the day towards sunset (perhaps a hike out to Delicate Arch?). It really depends if you plan on having full days out (bring food) or are operating at a more leisurely pace. Then Day 4 could be Capitol Reef or Goblin. If you do Goblin only, you will have extra time for Island in the Sky or Deadhorse again.

They are all good choices - I'd save Monument Valley/Mesa Verde for another time. Highly recommend Mesa Verde. If weather patterns dictate going south is better than west to Capitol Reef or Goblin, you can be flexible and hit Mesa Verde (or Monument Valley).

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
niagara_guy

Post by niagara_guy »

Newspaper Rock is on the way to Needles:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newspaper ... c_Monument

I believe this is the busiest time of year for Moab.

To drive the White Rim in Island in the Sky takes more than one day and requires a 4x4 and camping permits.

Mesa Verde might be more interesting for kids, I guess it just depends. I like Hovenweep NM but it's a long drive to get there. Durango and Silverton steam railroad is a very scenic ride, probably not open the whole way in April. PM me if you are going to Hovenweep.
gutterman

Post by gutterman »

We went to Zion, Bryce, Capital Reef and Moab over 15 days in June 2016. We found Arches nice but crowded to the point of not enjoying it. Capital Reef was a favorite for us and stayed for three days. We had the park almost to ourselves compared to Arches and Zion. At that time it was a remote park with limited housing and restaurant options. We stayed in an Airbnb and cooked meals.
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

doobiedoo wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:08 pm I recommend a rafting trip with someone like Moab Adventure Center [assuming everyone knows how to swim].

In April? Really? Better get them drysuits.

I'd beware of Westwater this June too after our big snow year. Westwater between 13,000 and 20,000 CFS is no joke. What's really fun at 3,000 CFS is scary at 9,000 CFS and terrifying at 15,000 CFS. Right now it's running at 2000-3000, but it probably won't be back there until July this year.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
White Coat Investor

I'd do Goblin Valley with that itinerary. Wander around the Hoodoos for a while, hike all the way around to the Goblin's Lair (Chamber of the Basilisk) and then go hike up Little Wild Horse (assuming no rain in forecast). Personally, I'd rappel from above into the Goblin's Lair with kids that age, but that does require some technical skill you may not have. Ding and Dang are a better hike than an up and back of Little Wild Horse, but there is a section or two that requires a little more comfort scrambling than most people have.

Another option is to go to the North Wash canyoneering area and hike up into slot canyons like Leprechaun. Again, better to do from above with technical skills and equipment, but still pretty good from below. And you'll get away from the crowds.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
fasteddie911

Post by fasteddie911 »

They're in opposite directions, which direction are you coming/going from? Top choice would be Capitol reef. Haven't been to Goblin but I'd consider combining Goblin and Capitol reef. I found monument valley somewhat underwhelming and mesa verde was cool and all but not my top choice unless your kids are into that.
gfirero

Post by gfirero »

White Coat Investor wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:23 am

I'd do Goblin Valley with that itinerary. Wander around the Hoodoos for a while, hike all the way around to the Goblin's Lair (Chamber of the Basilisk) and then go hike up Little Wild Horse (assuming no rain in forecast). Personally, I'd rappel from above into the Goblin's Lair with kids that age, but that does require some technical skill you may not have. Ding and Dang are a better hike than an up and back of Little Wild Horse, but there is a section or two that requires a little more comfort scrambling than most people have.
I second Goblin Valley. No question. The "Goblins" make for the best playground for adults and kids alike. It will be a good contrast to the grand vistas of Canyonlands and Dead Horse Point.
Little Wild Horse is a blast and very close to Goblin Valley. Avoid if rain is in the forecast due to flash floods.
I would not take an 11-year-old that has never rappelled into Ding and Dang.

Do Mesa Verde next time you come back.
jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 »

radiowave wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:43 pm Tough call, been to all of them . . . I would scratch off Goblin Valley, mostly just mud hoodoos which are interesting but not to the degree of the others. I liked Capital Reef and there is an excellent restaurant in Torrey UT just outside CR called Cafe Diablo.

Cafe Diablo closed last year.

If you are looking for a great piece of pie, try Sunglow Cafe in Bicknell.
White Coat Investor

gfirero wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:57 pm Little Wild Horse is a blast and very close to Goblin Valley. Avoid if rain is in the forecast due to flash floods.
It's close like my living room is close to my house.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

FB01 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:32 pm

Yes, it’s snowmelt. It’s cold. I remember rafting in the rain, and the rain coming out of the sky was warmer than the water in the river. But you’re not in the water, you’re on top of it. If they dump a bunch of day trippers in the water, they’ve done something wrong.

Many places in the west, the river rafting is best in spring, because that’s when there’s actually water.
RetiredInTheWest

Post by RetiredInTheWest »

I've spent some time in the Moab area every year over the past few decades. OP, if I understood what hobbies/activities you and your kids like, I might be able to make specific suggestions? For most people, it's possible to come up with several weeks worth of things to do and see there. Hiking, mountain biking, road biking, rafting, 4WDing, camping, depending on the people going and what their personal interests are. Your kids' ages are perfect for a trip there!

If you love hiking, you could spend at least a few days just in Arches just fine. Same for Canyonlands (there are three separate districts to Canyonlands to experience, plus the rivers). Or, depending on interests, there's also a lot in the BLM lands around Moab too.

Instead of spending time driving, I think there is definitely plenty to do in the general Moab area for four days. I'm obviously really into the desert there, but I don't think you'll even scratch the surface on this trip.
Topic Author
FB01

Post by FB01 »

gfirero wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:57 pm

I second Goblin Valley. No question. The "Goblins" make for the best playground for adults and kids alike. It will be a good contrast to the grand vistas of Canyonlands and Dead Horse Point.
Little Wild Horse is a blast and very close to Goblin Valley. Avoid if rain is in the forecast due to flash floods.

Little Wild Horse Canyon really look interesting but it is long hike. Is it possible to cover some parts in an hour or so? If anyone has done.
Thanks, | FB
White Coat Investor

quantAndHold wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:30 am
FB01 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:32 pm

Yes, it’s snowmelt. It’s cold. I remember rafting in the rain, and the rain coming out of the sky was warmer than the water in the river. But you’re not in the water, you’re on top of it. If they dump a bunch of day trippers in the water, they’ve done something wrong.

Many places in the west, the river rafting is best in spring, because that’s when there’s actually water.
Dumping a bunch of day trippers in the water in Westwater Canyon in June this year is a very real possibility. There's a reason they put you in those helmets and PFDs. I swam most of the rapids in Westwater canyon once while trying to packraft it at 8500 CFS. It's no joke. April will hopefully just be splashy. A farmer john wetsuit and a splash top is probably fine and maybe they give you that, dunno.
White Coat Investor

FB01 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:50 pm

Little Wild Horse Canyon really look interesting but it is long hike. Is it possible to cover some parts in an hour or so? If anyone has done.
It's out and back. Go as far as you like before turning around. Once in the canyon, t doesn't get any better as you go, the end is pretty similar to the beginning. If you've never been in a slot canyon it's great. If you're into canyoneering, it's super boring. It's walking on mostly sand down a canyon that is 4-50 feet wide with 30-50 foot walls.
White Coat Investor

FB01 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:50 pm

If you consider Little Wild Horse a long hike don't bother going to the Goblin's Lair. It's about as long and far more difficult to navigate to.

This map describes an 8 mile loop: https://www.earthtrekkers.com/little-wi ... nyon-loop/

What I'm suggesting is walking 1.5-2 miles in, then turning around and coming back the same way. You'll see the best part of that loop in less than half the mileage. There's nothing cool at the end of the canyon. There is no destination.