Restaurant recommendations for Rome/Florence

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
atl2005

Restaurant recommendations for Rome/Florence

Post by atl2005 »

My wife and I are taking our first trip to Italy at the end of next month, we are staying 3 nights in Florence and 4 nights in Rome. We have the trip planned out and all museum tickets booked but we haven't started picking any restaurants. Our plan is breakfast at the hotel, quick bite for lunch (pizza or sandwich), and a nicer dinner each evening.

We aren't looking for super fancy but prefer some good food without breaking the bank. Any recommendations would be much appreciated.
hunoraut

Re: Restaurant recommendations for Rome/Florence

Post by hunoraut »

Good pizza in Rome is more than a quick eat, its really really really good. Even if its not Naples.

Pizzarium, Panificio Bonci, Ai Marmi, Ostiense, and more are all worth planning around. Some are grab and go, some are sit down, some are dinner-only.

Rome does a lot of zucchini flowers (fiori di zucca) including on pizzas. Its a really visually beautiful ingredient and tastes great too.
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

This Rick Steves website could be helpful.

www.ricksteves.com
“Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.” -Retired 13 years 😀
telecaster

Post by telecaster »

My best advice is to stay away from the touristy restaurants that are right next to attractions. Walk a little bit away off the beaten path. Look at the menus, if there is English and Italian on them then keep moving. Find places that have only Italian on their menu. The food will be better, and so will the prices. Ask locals where they go out to eat when it's time.
Chadnudj

Post by Chadnudj »

In Florence:

Osteria del Cinghiale Bianco for pappardelle with wild boar. Order the house red wine -- it'll come in a pitcher that is basically two whole bottles that will rival/beat some of the best wines you'll have at high priced/acclaimed restaurants.

I Fratellini's, a small sandwich/wine by the glass place built into the side of a wall across from the Church and Museum of Orsanmichele. The sandwiches are amazing, and I highly recommend a Brunello to go with it. Eat it on the street and enjoy how the light perfectly hits the buildings of Florence.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

telecaster wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:36 am My best advice is to stay away from the touristy restaurants that are right next to attractions. Walk a little bit away off the beaten path. Look at the menus, if there is English and Italian on them then keep moving. Find places that have only Italian on their menu. The food will be better, and so will the prices. Ask locals where they go out to eat when it's time.

+1, get out of the tourist areas, which is true of many cities.
SRenaeP

Post by SRenaeP »

It's been several years now but I enjoyed the restaurant below. They were a little mom and pop place with cute sidewalk tables.

La Locanda di Eugenio
Via Crescenzio, 43 bis
00193 Roma
tel 06 68806804
Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 »

Where are you staying in each city?
Old fart who does three index stock funds, baby.
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

telecaster wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:36 am My best advice is to stay away from the touristy restaurants that are right next to attractions. Walk a little bit away off the beaten path
Thats not a very useful heuristic. Its medieval Europe. Attractions are everywhere, but they cluster in the city core as do restaurants. Good restaurants have the money to afford the lease.

If youre looking for some super duper high value secret, they wont be at the city center…but they wont be found by merely walking off the beaten path, either.
student

Post by student »

telecaster wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:36 am My best advice is to stay away from the touristy restaurants that are right next to attractions. Walk a little bit away off the beaten path. Look at the menus, if there is English and Italian on them then keep moving. Find places that have only Italian on their menu. The food will be better, and so will the prices. Ask locals where they go out to eat when it's time.
+1. Especially the ones with someone standing outside soliciting customers. For gelato stores, they are all good. lol
Robdac

Post by Robdac »

https://www.trattoriavecchiaroma.it

This place was incredible. You might want a reservation. The Cacio e Pepe pasta (a must in Rome) was outstanding. They will bring out a steaming hot portion of fresh pasta and deposit it into the center of a wheel of cheese to mix.
Last edited by Robdac on Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
atl2005

Post by atl2005 »

hunoraut wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:12 am Good pizza in Rome is more than a quick eat, its really really really good. Even if its not Naples.

Pizzarium, Panificio Bonci, Ai Marmi, Ostiense, and more are all worth planning around. Some are grab and go, some are sit down, some are dinner-only.

Rome does a lot of zucchini flowers (fiori di zucca) including on pizzas. Its a really visually beautiful ingredient and tastes great too.
Great, thanks for the pizza recommendations.
Topic Author
atl2005

Post by atl2005 »

Chadnudj wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:44 am In Florence:

Osteria del Cinghiale Bianco for pappardelle with wild boar. Order the house red wine -- it'll come in a pitcher that is basically two whole bottles that will rival/beat some of the best wines you'll have at high priced/acclaimed restaurants.

I Fratellini's, a small sandwich/wine by the glass place built into the side of a wall across from the Church and Museum of Orsanmichele. The sandwiches are amazing, and I highly recommend a Brunello to go with it. Eat it on the street and enjoy how the light perfectly hits the buildings of Florence.
Thanks for the advice, especially on the sandwich shop
BattyNatty

Post by BattyNatty »

Not quite a restaurant, but Gelateria dei Neri in Florence. We did a very :D thorough examination of many gelatos throughout Italy and all agreed this shop was far and away the best we had ever had.
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

Two of the best sandwiches I've ever had were at All' Antico Vinaio in Florence, and Pane E Salame in Rome. I highly recommend both, but I think Pane E Salame is the best sandwich Ive ever had. Very small place with some outside seating in an alley pretty close to the Trevi Fountain. Read some reviews here.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_ ... Lazio.html
legio XX

Post by legio XX »

OK, sorry I wasn't taking any notes, but I ate a few times in the restaurants in the piazza behind the Duomo in Florence. Prime tourist turf, but good food anyhow.

@Chadnuj. Thanks for these. Did take notes. Will be in Firenze later this year.
gtd98765

Post by gtd98765 »

Avoid Tripadvisor recommendations; somehow touristy places have figured out how to game the system. Stick with recommendations from guidebooks or real people.
Hockey10

Post by Hockey10 »

I have had good results in both of these cities by asking at the front desk of the hotel. Sometimes they will give you a map and mark the location of their preferred restaurants. I have been to Rome 3 times and Florence once and don't recall ever having a bad meal.
gohawks206

Post by gohawks206 »

Florence: edit: We also loved grabbing a sandwich by the Duomo at All’Antico Vinaio or I Fratellini

Rome:
  • Salumeria Roscioli -- Probably our second favorite meal from our vacation :)
  • Cacio e Pepe -- fun spot where you can sit outside and enjoy a casual but great meal.
If a man knows not to which port he sails, no wind is favorable.
calmaniac

Post by calmaniac »

Found this gem on visit in 2016. Wonderful informal setting. Light fare of salami, prosciutto, and cheese. Excellent quality. Fair prices.

Prosciutteria Cantina Dei Papi Trevi
"Pretired", working 20 h/wk. AA 75/25: 30% TSM, 19% value (VFVA/AVUV), 18% Int'l LC, 8% emerging, 25% GFund/VBTLX. Military pension ≈60% of expenses. Pension+SS@age 70 ≈100% of expenses.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

calmaniac wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:26 am Found this gem on visit in 2016. Wonderful informal setting. Light fare of salami, prosciutto, and cheese. Excellent quality. Fair prices.

Prosciutteria Cantina Dei Papi Trevi
+1. Limited seating but the charcuterie meat, cheese or combo boards, as well as sandwiches, are wonderful.
Oakdale19

Post by Oakdale19 »

Florence
Panini Toscani (I personally thought better than fratellini)

Gelatería Perche No (Neri is good but it’s been our personal favorite the times we’ve visited Florence. First visit we tried 6-10 spots first day. We were young and did a lot of walking so I still managed to come back lighter :)

La Bussola (sit down. Make a reservation).

Rome
Gelateria dei Gracchi (near Vatican)

bonci Pizzarium

Il Panino Ingegnoso
https://yelp.to/BjK2pUI4lyb

Gelateria Artigianale Corona

You won’t regret any of those on the list. Highly recommend. Enjoy!
EddyB

Post by EddyB »

Oakdale19 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:25 pm Florence
Panini Toscani (I personally thought better than fratellini)
Panini Toscani (the irony!) and i Fratellini are pretty good. I prefer the simplicity at i Fratellini (it’s closer to what you’d get if you went to a not-famous place for a schiacciata), and you may see some Fiorentini there. If you want to go to some places that are a step more local but still near the center, you could try Semel Street Food (and can go to Coffee Mantra easily from there), or i Fratelli di Mare (a cart), or the window at la macelleria Caterini Giorgio. If you want the famous-among-Fiorentini equivalent of the sandwiches at all’Antico Vinaio, you could try L’esclusiva da Francesco, by the stadium.

If you really want pizza for lunch (not traditional), there are some places not far from the center that are probably open, O’Vicariell or Malborghetto are some I happen to like (and you can get a good beer with your pizza at the latter).

Lots of great places for dinner, and perhaps you’re not as restricted to the center?

Good to have gelaterie picked out around town…. Maybe try La Sorbettiera or Della Passera, in addition to the close-in suggestions.
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

gtd98765 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:59 am Avoid Tripadvisor recommendations; somehow touristy places have figured out how to game the system. Stick with recommendations from guidebooks or real people.
Well, then take it from this “real person.” Pane E Salame in Rome is one of the best sandwiches I have ever had. Incredibly fresh bread and meats. Pretty small place but has some outdoor seating, too. Try to get there close to when they open.
Horologium

Post by Horologium »

I wish I was better at remembering things. One afternoon in Rome we had lunch at a terrific restaurant near the Pantheon in Rome that was run by an order of nuns. I googled and came up with “Restaurante L’Eau Vive”, but the name does not ring a bell.

I’ve texted my son who was living in Rome at the time and was our “tour guide”. I will update this post when I hear from him.

ETA: I just heard from my son and Restaurante L’Eau Vive was correct. He agreed that it was a very nice - and reasonably priced - restaurant.
Vogatrice

Post by Vogatrice »

In Rome, Renato e Luisa is my favourite restaurant. They make everything themselves, including the bread. Order from the daily special board, and if you can bring yourself to it, ordering the set daily menu will be an incredible and wonderful variety of tastes (but you will be very full.) They are not open for lunch, only dinner, and in Italy, you should always make reservations - it’s considered polite to help the chef plan how much to prepare.

It’s been too long since I was in Florence, but it looks like you have some good recommendations.
Topic Author
atl2005

Post by atl2005 »

Just wanted to jump back in and thank everyone for all the recommendations. My wife and I are getting really excited about the trip as it's only about a month away now, we are going to look at all these recommendations and pick some that look good.
mjg

Post by mjg »

As others have mentioned, Pizzarium (Rome, near the Vatican) is great for pizza by the slice (it's actually in rectangular pans and you have them cut as little or as much size you want) - not really much seating there, and what is there is basically stand up small bartops.

In Rome, if you enjoy wine, then dinner at Ad Hoc is great for both atmosphere and food. You would want to get reservations now if you wish to go there.