HM Bradley - is it safe - FDIC response

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
SnowBog

Re: HM Bradley - is it safe - FDIC response

Post by SnowBog »

engaged73016 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:56 am Good morning,
Does anyone still have their direct deposit set up to their HMB account (and properly updated with the NYCB account info) and scheduled to come in today?
For some reason, mine has not hit the HMB account yet (but part of the same DD has reached my other account at another bank).
Thanks.
I do. Mine isn't showing up yet either. But my guess is it will show up by tomorrow. I've had no issues with the last 2+ DDs landing there. Although I didn't validate the specific timing of them showing up, I'm assuming it's like the interest posting, which seems to be the day after and backdated (or at a different timezone).

I don't recall my DD ever showing up "early" at HMBradley (it does at Fidelity and a CU I use).

And I've noticed that the "timing" of payroll around (after) holidays can be off. Not sure why...

But I'm not worried about it. If it's not there tomorrow, I'll raise an eyebrow. If not there by end of week, I'll be worried.
engaged73016

Post by engaged73016 »

SnowBog wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:18 am
Does anyone still have their direct deposit set up to their HMB account (and properly updated with the NYCB account info) and scheduled to come in today?
For some reason, mine has not hit the HMB account yet (but part of the same DD has reached my other account at another bank).
Thanks.
I do. Mine isn't showing up yet either. But my guess is it will show up by tomorrow. I've had no issues with the last 2+ DDs landing there. Although I didn't validate the specific timing of them showing up, I'm assuming it's like the interest posting, which seems to be the day after and backdated (or at a different timezone).

I don't recall my DD ever showing up "early" at HMBradley (it does at Fidelity and a CU I use).

And I've noticed that the "timing" of payroll around (after) holidays can be off. Not sure why...

But I'm not worried about it. If it's not there tomorrow, I'll raise an eyebrow. If not there by end of week, I'll be worried.
Never mind, the DD came in just now. I was just surprised not to see it first thing in the morning (which has been the case in the past).
I guess part of me continues to fear the "risks" of HMB, technical issues or worse.
Auream

Post by Auream »

Today was a payday, and I still have a small ($250) DD going into my HMBradley account. Logged in and saw it there today, no problem. If you haven’t gotten any DDs since they changed to NYCB, might want to double check with your payroll department that they have the right account/routing numbers.
engaged73016

Post by engaged73016 »

engaged73016 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:35 am
SnowBog wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:18 am
Thanks.

Never mind, the DD came in just now. I was just surprised not to see it first thing in the morning (which has been the case in the past).
I guess part of me continues to fear the "risks" of HMB, technical issues or worse.
Confirmation from HMB support that they were having an issue: "We were experiencing technical difficulties with direct deposits appearing in our customer's accounts, however, this matter has been resolved by our engineering team."
SnowBog

Post by SnowBog »

engaged73016 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:37 pm Confirmation from HMB support that they were having an issue: "We were experiencing technical difficulties with direct deposits appearing in our customer's accounts, however, this matter has been resolved by our engineering team."
Oddly, when I logged into mobile app - I still couldn't see the DD. But I "refreshed" the screen - and it showed up. :sharebeer
engaged73016

Post by engaged73016 »

Hi,
Does anyone know whether there is any spending category that is excluded from the 1.5% reward of the HMB credit card?
I know that in the previous 3/2/1 terms, certain categories (e.g. insurance, tax, etc.) were excluded, but I don't know if that is still the case with the new flat 1.5% term.
Thanks!
SnowBog

Post by SnowBog »

Just an FYI, looks like HMBradley has increased their top rate to 4.2% (up from 4%).

This is below the 7-day SEC yield on money market funds like FZDXX, as well as most short term treasuries. As such, it is not enough to see me move money back into the account.

But I still consider this a "positive" sign for HMB overall, and I still plan to keep my HMB account open (with a vastly smaller balance) for the "option" to easily move back if HMB ends up having better rates than the alternatives. (My working theory is when the other rates start to fall, HMB will return to providing a higher rate as they did for years. Time will tell...)
frugalor

Post by frugalor »

Varo bank offers 5%, but even that does beat treasuries nowadays.
SnowBog

Post by SnowBog »

frugalor wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 6:43 pm Varo bank offers 5%, but even that does beat treasuries nowadays.
For context, looks like Varo's 5% rate is limited to the first $5k, then 3% afterwards.
patrick

Post by patrick »

frugalor wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 6:43 pm Varo bank offers 5%, but even that does beat treasuries nowadays.
Primis Bank is at 5.03% and without Varo's limit
ChiKid24

Post by ChiKid24 »

I just got 6-month T-bill on open auction at 5.096%. Safe and secure and avoids pricey California income tax. Hard to beat that!
rationalist_ps

Post by rationalist_ps »

patrick wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:00 pm
Amen to that. Is this a teaser rate? does anybody know how Primis bank has behaved in the past? Sudden reduction in interest rate to below market rate for example? I have had that experience with Emigrant direct in the past.
I prefer probabilistic thinking over stories. The former emphasizes uncertainty around future outcomes (as well as in judging past outcomes), while stories tend to anchor on one view. - Antti Ilmanen
MrJedi

Post by MrJedi »

psriniva wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:14 pm
Amen to that. Is this a teaser rate? does anybody know how Primis bank has behaved in the past? Sudden reduction in interest rate to below market rate for example? I have had that experience with Emigrant direct in the past.
It's already been lowered to 4.35%.
Auream

Post by Auream »

MrJedi wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:40 pm
psriniva wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:14 pm
It's already been lowered to 4.35%.
They're honoring the rate for anyone who got in before they lowered it. No idea how long it will last though. I wouldn't be surprised if other banks break the 5% barrier though within the next 30-60 days based on the anticipated trajectory of fed rate hikes.
ernest3

Post by ernest3 »

While not uncommon these days, I just received a letter notifying me that Hatch Bank suffered a security incident involving names and security numbers. They are offering 12 months of credit monitoring with a company called Cyberscout.
SnowBog

Post by SnowBog »

If anyone is interested, this was posted in another thread, but it appears that HMBradley's "partner" bank - NYCB - just bought part of Signature Bank.
erp wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:02 pm The FDIC got New York Community Bank to buy most of Signature Bank.
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/york-com ... 59498.html
SnowBog

Post by SnowBog »

For anyone interested, appears HMBradley has simplified interest. Deposit $500/month and get 4.7% APY.

No more "tiers", no more required credit card spend, no more required positive monthly cash flow.

I've already moved the bulk of my funds there to a ladder of short term treasuries (at Fidelity), as they currently have a better return especially being state tax-free, with the rest being in MM funds like FZDXX. But if/when those rates drop, assuming HMBradley maintains this setup, I'll likely have money flowing back there again.
Auream

Post by Auream »

Well, it’s over folks. Just got this email from HMBradley (where I haven’t had any money in over a year):
Today I’m writing the message I never wanted or expected to send to you. We’re announcing that beginning November 15th, HMBradley is beginning a wind-down of our consumer deposit and credit card programs over the next 30 days.

We know the closing of these programs may come as a surprise, so below are some important dates and notes about our timeline so that you can begin to plan and start to move your money from HMBradley to wherever you go next.
Their rates haven’t been competitive in a while, so if you’re still there, you should head on over to https://www.depositaccounts.com/ to find an alternative paying above 5%.
exodusNH

Post by exodusNH »

Auream wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:43 am Well, it’s over folks. Just got this email from HMBradley (where I haven’t had any money in over a year):
Today I’m writing the message I never wanted or expected to send to you. We’re announcing that beginning November 15th, HMBradley is beginning a wind-down of our consumer deposit and credit card programs over the next 30 days.

We know the closing of these programs may come as a surprise, so below are some important dates and notes about our timeline so that you can begin to plan and start to move your money from HMBradley to wherever you go next.
Their rates haven’t been competitive in a while, so if you’re still there, you should head on over to https://www.depositaccounts.com/ to find an alternative paying above 5%.
I've used Vio Bank for 4-5 years. They've been good at raising rates and don't play games where existing accounts don't get updated.
frugalor

Post by frugalor »

They closed my credit card just yesterday.

When VUSXX is at 5.34% without state tax, and agency bonds paying close to 7%. putting money in banks is losing money.
MrJedi

Post by MrJedi »

They have a special place in my heart for giving me 3% interest in 2020 and 2021 when rates were rock bottom. Also all the debates on whether money was safe there or not.
engaged73016

Post by engaged73016 »

Was anyone still using their credit card?
I was for the 1.5% reward on misc. spending categories not covered by other cards.
Just wondering how to pay the remaining balance in the context of the account closing.
rationalist_ps

Post by rationalist_ps »

Auream wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:43 am Well, it’s over folks. Just got this email from HMBradley (where I haven’t had any money in over a year):

I find doughroller.net (Bob Berger) very useful in finding highest rate for No Penalty CDs, Savings Accounts, Checking accounts etc. Right now there are banks, which are paying over 5.4%, like Customers Bank.
Another website raisin.com (FDIC insured) also has tie ups with banks and is offering 5.6%.
But, I personally find it easier to buy 8 week T-bills paying 5.3% with auto rollover in Fidelity. Also T-bills are exempt from state withholding tax.
I prefer probabilistic thinking over stories. The former emphasizes uncertainty around future outcomes (as well as in judging past outcomes), while stories tend to anchor on one view. - Antti Ilmanen
rationalist_ps

Post by rationalist_ps »

I find doughroller.net (Bob Berger) very useful in finding highest rate for No Penalty CDs, Savings Accounts, Checking accounts etc. Right now there are banks, which are paying over 5.4%, like Customers Bank.
Another website raisin.com (FDIC insured) also has tie ups with banks and is offering 5.6%.
But, I personally find it easier to buy 8 week T-bills paying 5.3% with auto rollover in Fidelity. Also T-bills are exempt from state withholding tax.