ESPP Basis Reporting from Supplement or W-2?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
DesertTortoise

ESPP Basis Reporting from Supplement or W-2?

Post by DesertTortoise »

I have a question about reporting basis for ESPP sales on my taxes. I get a 15% discount on ESPP purchases at BigCorp handled through E* Trade. I'm trying to reconcile my W-2 with the Supplement from E* Trade. The value for ESPPDD in box 14 on my W-2 does not match what I'm seeing as the "Adjustment Amount" in the E* Trade Supplement. The W-2 matches the pay stubs I received from BigCorp at the time of the sales. I also found the "ESPP Confirmation of Purchase" that was sent to me from BigCorp (not E* Trade) at the time of the purchase, and the "Gain on Purchase Date" there agrees with my W-2 and pay stubs. This is a summary of what I see on the Confirmation of Purchase (values changed to obscure BigCorp):

Purchase Date: 2/14/2022
Value per Share on Purchase Period End Date: $100 [closing price on 2/14]
Purchase Price: $85 [15% discount on Purchase Period End Date]
Market Value per Share on Purchase Date: $101 [closing price on 2/15]

Shares Purchased: 100
Gain on Purchase Date: $1600 (Market Value on Purchase Date - Purchase Price x Shares)

The E* Trade Supplement with my 1099-B lists the adjustment as $1500.

So my questions are:
1. Do I use the $1600 adjustment that BigCorp assigned to the transaction because that's how much wage income was reported?
2. Do I use the $1500 adjustment from the E* Trade Supplement?
2a. Does BigCorp owe me a corrected W-2 to fix the ESPP DD amount, and also reflected the difference in total wages?

Thank you