Server time off? [Member timezone setting changed]

Discussions about the forum and contents
Topic Author
MP123

Server time off? [Member timezone setting changed]

Post by MP123 »

Since the update the date/time on posts seems off when not logged in. Now showing 4:36 Sunday evening.

Once logged in it's using my selected time zone correctly.

I'm not sure if it was always doing this and I just never noticed?
Beensabu

Re: Server time off?

Post by Beensabu »

Yeah. Posts are time stamped in GMT right now if not logged in.
"The only thing that makes life possible is permanent, intolerable uncertainty; not knowing what comes next." ~Ursula LeGuin
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Thanks! Actually, it was always doing this and I never noticed it. The timezone setting for those not logged in was wrong. When not logged in, the timezone will now be US Central time. Why? That's where the site owner lives. :)

The site home page also shows US Central time (logged in or not).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

LadyGeek wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:09 pm Thanks! Actually, it was always doing this and I never noticed it. The timezone setting for those not logged in was wrong. When not logged in, the timezone will now be US Central time. Why? That's where the site owner lives. :)

Logged in and post times are GMT.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
brawlrats

Post by brawlrats »

Random Musings wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:06 pm
LadyGeek wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:09 pm Thanks! Actually, it was always doing this and I never noticed it. The timezone setting for those not logged in was wrong. When not logged in, the timezone will now be US Central time. Why? That's where the site owner lives. :)

Logged in and post times are GMT.

RM
Same for me. Logged out your post was 8:06pm on 2/9. Logged in it now says 2:06am on 2/10. I’m in EST for what it’s worth.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

To both - The timezone needs to be set for your account.

Go to your User Control Panel --> Board preferences --> Edit global settings (generic link that goes to your preferences)

My timezone: (select your timezone from the drop-down menu)

If you need help doing this, please PM me.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
brawlrats

Post by brawlrats »

Thanks. Fixed. Dont recall having to do that before but who knows.
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

Test my reset time zone. And yes it worked.
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

Thanks. Never seen that issue before.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
cadreamer2015

Incorrect time stamp for forum posts?

Post by cadreamer2015 »

[Thread merged into here --admin LadyGeek]

The time stamp for forum posts seems incorrect. The latest post has a time stamp of 4:47 PM, Friday February 10, where the actual time seems to have been 11:47 AM, Friday February 10 (unless we want the time stamp to be set to UTC or GMT). In the past it seemed the time stamp was set to Eastern U.S. time.
De gustibus non disputandum est
SmileyFace

Re: Incorrect time stamp for forum posts?

Post by SmileyFace »

You can go under your name at top of screen and go to your User Control Panel - Board Preferences - and set your timezone there.
erp

Post by erp »

cadreamer2015 wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:50 am The time stamp for forum posts seems incorrect. The latest post has a time stamp of 4:47 PM, Friday February 10, where the actual time seems to have been 11:47 AM, Friday February 10 (unless we want the time stamp to be set to UTC or GMT). In the past it seemed the time stamp was set to Eastern U.S. time.
This subforum gets very little traffic. Did you check and notice what the 2nd topic is before posting?
Peculiar_Investor
Site Admin

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

This has previously been raised and the solution posted in viewtopic.php?t=373705, viewtopic.php?t=298958 and from way back, circa 2015
Peculiar_Investor wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:06 pm It will change automatically, but only if you've correctly set your timezone in the User Control Panel. If you haven't updated your timezone setting since the forum upgraded to phpBB 3.1, then it won't work automatically.

To check, review your User Control Panel->Board preferences and look at the My timezone field. There are two values, the first drop-down box shows a guess (based on JavaScript) of your timezone and then you need to select a country/city pair from the second dropdown that reflects your location.
gkaplan wrote:Does this mean I will need to go into my User Profile each time to adjust my time to Pacific Coast time
If it says America/Los Angeles (or something equivalent) then it is set correctly and daylight savings time changes will be handled automatically. If the second field says UTC-8, then it isn't set correctly.

Unfortunately with the forum software showing two values in My timezone it can be a bit confusing.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

I've noticed this a couple of times lately. This thread is a good example.

The times that I'm seeing for this thread are in the future by 5 hours. For all the posters, not just one who might have the wrong clock setting. Including me. :happy
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

I suspect that a recent update to the forum software "broke" the time zone setting on some, if not all accounts. My time zone was correctly set in my profile and for years I always saw my local time on posts and threads when I logged in.

After a recent "Bogleheads will be down for maintenance from ....to .....", I found that even when I was logged in the times were all showing in GMT. I had to go into my profile and set my time zone again.

Here is a recent thread on the issue: viewtopic.php?t=396943
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Server time off? [Member timezone setting changed]

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged cadreamer2015's thread into the ongoing discussion. I also retitled the thread.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

User control panel --> Board preferences --> Edit global settings (generic link which goes to the right spot)

If "My timezone:" shows "Select current time " and "Select timezone" in the drop-down lists, it's not set and will default to show UTC.

A site admin can look at member timezones. I do see a few members with the timezone not set, but most have it set.

My timezone was set correctly after the upgrade so I didn't think anything was wrong.
cadreamer2015

Post by cadreamer2015 »

Thank you, LadyGeek. The time zone setting may have gotten unmoored in an upgrade and I just recently noticed it.

Thanks to all the moderators of this board. This is one of the most useful places on the whole internet, in my experience.
De gustibus non disputandum est
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I should be clear that the last update was on February 4, 2023 for the server, not the forum software. The forum software was updated on December 4, 2022 (Re: Forum software upgrade bug reports and change requests).
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

LadyGeek wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:08 pm My timezone was set correctly after the upgrade so I didn't think anything was wrong.
Perhaps because as the hardest working (and perhaps wisest) moderator on the internet, you have the Flagship Select version of the forum software while the rest of us are still stuck in Voyager class! :beer
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

When I went to my User Control Panel while my timezone looked correct (and the same it has been for almost 15 years) it was not being used. So I just set to it what it already was and re-applied (Submit) and now I see what I want as far as time stamps are concerned.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Dead Man Walking

What’s up with the clock at Bogleheads.org?

Post by Dead Man Walking »

[Thread merged into here --admin LadyGeek]

I’ve noticed that the time on my posts are listed several hours later than the actual time that I posted. It’s not a big deal; I’m just curious.

DMW
Cheez-It Guy

Re: What’s up with the clock at Bogleheads.org?

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

Configure your local time in settings.

Bogleheads is on US Central time.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged Dead Man Walking's thread into the ongoing discussion. Check your timezone settings as noted in my earlier post.
LadyGeek wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:08 pm User control panel --> Board preferences --> Edit global settings (generic link which goes to the right spot)

If "My timezone:" shows "Select current time " and "Select timezone" in the drop-down lists, it's not set and will default to show UTC.

A site admin can look at member timezones. I do see a few members with the timezone not set, but most have it set.

My timezone was set correctly after the upgrade so I didn't think anything was wrong.
H22

Post by H22 »

I'd note that my local time is represented correctly for posts located within the various forums, but when I view what I call the "master" list of posts (i.e., here:https://www.bogleheads.org/index.php) all of these are associated with Central Time. This may be by design, I don't know.
prudent

Post by prudent »

LadyGeek explained this upthread.
LadyGeek wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:09 pm When not logged in, the timezone will now be US Central time. Why? That's where the site owner lives. :)

H22

Post by H22 »

prudent wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 7:49 am LadyGeek explained this upthread.
LadyGeek wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:09 pm When not logged in, the timezone will now be US Central time. Why? That's where the site owner lives. :)

Got it! Thanks.