Performance Analysis Training

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
SKA17_PHD

Performance Analysis Training

Post by SKA17_PHD »

Hi Mate,

I am starting a career in financial analysis and was wondering how to improve my performance analysis skills. Does any one knows any useful course? I have seen there are some training from The Spaulding Group, costing from 750$ up to 1925$, do you believe this will help me boosting my career?

I am now working in Rome, I have a bachelor in business administration a master in finance and a PHD in quantitative methods.
riverside1320

Re: Performance Analysis Training

Post by riverside1320 »

I'd recommend looking at Damodaran's offerings, available here: https://pages.stern.nyu.edu/~adamodar/. Very well regarded professor of valuation / corporate finance, and has archived classes for free.

Honest answer on whether or not this will help your career - no one will care that you took these. They may help your skills, but I don't think the completion of this course or any other will get you a certain position. Once there, these may help, though.
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

You may want to message this quant group to inquire. I believe there are a number of PhD members and they have some chapters outside of the US as well.

https://qwafafew.org/

https://qwafafew.org/contact/

About QWAFAFEW

QWAFAFEW is an informal organization of quantitatively oriented professionals in various aspects of financial services (primarily investment management). The group was formed a number of years ago to provide a venue for quantitative researchers to discuss their evolving work with peers. As the field has become more “main stream” our membership has also broadened. Our membership includes a wide variety of interests and levels of responsibility. The members span the gamut from owners and senior executives of investment related organizations to recent entrants to the industry. Most attendees have some technical training beyond the M.B.A. level, and many have Ph.D.s All share a common interest in quantitative solutions to understanding investment markets.
alex_686

Post by alex_686 »

Become a CFA Charterholder. A internationally recognized certification that can be earned almost anywhere.

Or get a masters degree in Financial Mathematics / Financial Engineering. Not exactly spot on for being a Financial Analyst, but the math you learn will serve you well. And strike this - I see you already have a PhD.
Former brokerage operations & mutual fund accountant. I hate risk, which is why I study and embrace it.
riverside1320

Post by riverside1320 »

SKA17_PHD wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:28 am Hi Mate,

I am starting a career in financial analysis and was wondering how to improve my performance analysis skills. Does any one knows any useful course? I have seen there are some training from The Spaulding Group, costing from 750$ up to 1925$, do you believe this will help me boosting my career?

I am now working in Rome, I have a bachelor in business administration a master in finance and a PHD in quantitative methods.
Because the replies are dancing around this - what's your goal in improving your skills here? Hedge Fund / IB Sales and Trading job? Getting better in your current role? Would be helpful for more guided advice.
SKA17PHD

Post by SKA17PHD »

Hi mates,
Thank for your replies.
I am actually a Portfolio Analyst in a little consulting firm providing support to pension funds finance department. I would like to work to the ALM of a pension fund or a life insurance company.

Now, coming to the juice, my tasks are basically 3:
1) Cohort analysis and pension balance projection for the updating of the AAS and of the IPS.
2) Risk analysis.
3) Performance analysis.

I am doing very good on the first two tasks, while the third one is giving some problems. The issues are basically related to the organization of the team, but this is not my business, so the only thing that I can do is studying.

Becoming a CFA is part of the plan in the long run, but now my focus is to obtain an other kind of professional certification.

Thank you for your attention.
SFBuff

Post by SFBuff »

You could look into the CIPM as well - https://www.cfainstitute.org/en/programs/cipm
riverside1320

Post by riverside1320 »

SKA17PHD wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:18 am Hi mates,
Thank for your replies.
I am actually a Portfolio Analyst in a little consulting firm providing support to pension funds finance department. I would like to work to the ALM of a pension fund or a life insurance company.

1) Cohort analysis and pension balance projection for the updating of the AAS and of the IPS.
2) Risk analysis.
3) Performance analysis.

I am doing very good on the first two tasks, while the third one is giving some problems. The issues are basically related to the organization of the team, but this is not my business, so the only thing that I can do is studying.

Becoming a CFA is part of the plan in the long run, but now my focus is to obtain an other kind of professional certification.

I can only speak for the US job market, but outside of a CFA or MBA, there isn't much value in another certificate. I'd think about if there are additional tasks you might be able to take on at work to improve there.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

riverside1320 wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:45 am
Thank for your replies.

2) Risk analysis.
3) Performance analysis.

I can only speak for the US job market, but outside of a CFA or MBA, there isn't much value in another certificate. I'd think about if there are additional tasks you might be able to take on at work to improve there.
I did have a friend who did an MBA and then a Masters in Financial Engineering. I think for the quant roles, they are a thing.

(I would imagine for Quant what they hire is Phds in Physics or Engineering or Applied Math; however the MFE is a thing and given the cost of those programmes presumably their grads get jobs)
riverside1320

Post by riverside1320 »

Valuethinker wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:07 am
Thank for your replies.

2) Risk analysis.
3) Performance analysis.

I did have a friend who did an MBA and then a Masters in Financial Engineering. I think for the quant roles, they are a thing.

(I would imagine for Quant what they hire is Phds in Physics or Engineering or Applied Math; however the MFE is a thing and given the cost of those programmes presumably their grads get jobs)
Interesting! Didn't know that. I'd (perhaps naively, as a current MBA student) assumed that the overlap between MBAs and Financial Engineers was minimal given the career paths are somewhat disparate in the US.
alex_686

Post by alex_686 »

riverside1320 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:33 am
Valuethinker wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:07 am
Thank for your replies.

2) Risk analysis.
3) Performance analysis.

Interesting! Didn't know that. I'd (perhaps naively, as a current MBA student) assumed that the overlap between MBAs and Financial Engineers was minimal given the career paths are somewhat disparate in the US.
Somewhat.

They cover the same subjects but in a different fashion. Take option pricing. They both cover the Black–Scholes model. The MBA will learn the inputs but are told to ask the math guys for the actual implementation. The FEs know how to build the model but may not exactly know how to use it.

i.e. the MBA area engineers, the FE are scientists. Practical verses theory. Now as scientists go, FE is one of the more practical ones.

But I will agree with the above posters. The OP does not need any more letters behind their name, they need experience.
Former brokerage operations & mutual fund accountant. I hate risk, which is why I study and embrace it.