What watch do you wear on a daily basis, or are you wearing today?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
nanciT

Re: What watch do you wear on a daily basis, or are you wearing today?

Post by nanciT »

I wear my Apple Watch everyday. I also have a Quell tens unit that is linked and I can turn on and off with the watch. I use the Pulse and EKG and also the Step tracker.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Thaddeus wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:39 pm My daily wear watch is a Jaeger LeCoultre Grand Reverso Ultra Thin Tribute to 1931 Special Edition Rouge. Yes, that's quite a mouthful but that is actually the name of the watch. I have loved watches all my life, and this model is a keeper. It was a 25th Anniversery gift, and it is incredible. I will never regret having acquired it. There are very few true icons in watch history, but the Reverso is unquestionably iconic. And this particular model is simply gorgeous. It is very satisfying to be able to enter any room full of people without ever having to wonder who has the coolest watch.
Very nice, must’ve cost a lot. Do you ever wear it reversed? And if so, why?
Thaddeus

Post by Thaddeus »

Answer for Nicolas:
I never wear it reversed. I'd love to get the verso side engraved with a fine artwork, but haven't (yet!). It's an absolutely useless design, but it is engineered with extreme precision and grace. It's fun to simply operate the switching mechanism.
I also like the dual-faced Reverso models (one watch movement driving the hands on both faces, for an awesome and unique travel watch that is easy to set.
jello_nailer

Re: What watch do you wear on a daily basis?

Post by jello_nailer »

rockstar wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:30 pm
Dottie57 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:10 pm
8301 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:27 am
Dottie57 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:02 pm
buckeye7983 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:23 pm
How often does an iWatch need to be charged?
Every night
Pass.
Good idea. It is the only Apple item I have not loved.
This is why my next one is a Garmin Fenix. My significant other has one and is super happy with it.
^ can't recommend Fenix enough. I have a 6X Sapphire, golf app is great, has sleep quality, HRV, HR, Steps, Pulse Ox, weather, etc. If you have a small wrist it's a little big.
Rodethe600

Post by Rodethe600 »

I stopped wearing a watch during the pandemic while working from home. The thought never crosses my mind to put one back on. When I was wearing one I was pretty happy with a Timex expedition indiglo.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

deleted
Last edited by Nicolas on Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

Vaer C5 Field Black
stufunds

Post by stufunds »

“What watch do you wear on a daily basis, or are you wearing today?”

Hi tvubpwcisla,

Apple Watch Series 5, 40mm screen, cellular, aluminum case, plain sport band.

I plan to upgrade to a comparable newer model when the software updates stop coming.

I got the watch primarily out of interest in its safety features, such as fall detection and emergency SOS.

I’m male, 58 years old.
Save Early, Save Often
vrex

Post by vrex »

Casio F-91W has everything I need and nothing I don’t. $18 😀
Arlington2019

Post by Arlington2019 »

Today I am wearing a Garmin Instinct.
Dregob

Post by Dregob »

tvubpwcisla wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:58 pm I find I always grab my Casio G-Shock GWX-56-1BJF.
iPhone.
bcc1234

Post by bcc1234 »

Longines Conquest. Every day.

bcc
hudson

Post by hudson »

Apple Watch Series 7 GPS + Cellular, 45mm
As you know, it's a computer and communications system; the watch part is only 1/100 of what it does.
Youngblood

Post by Youngblood »

Apple watch series 7.
"I made my money by selling too soon." | Bernard M. Baruch
brad.clarkston

Post by brad.clarkston »

I've been wearing a Citizen Vintage Brycen Sport allot of late. It's not an expensive watch by any means ($300) but I'm into the emerald green vintage look.

My all time favorite that I'll always go back to is a Bell & Ross BR 03 Auto. I have two Rolex's but I pretty much only wear them at formal occasions and upscale events.

On the ultra low end I have a Casio DW290-1V for camping/fishing and several Invicta's for knocking around in. Funny enough we go to the House of Mouse in FL every two years and I always hit the big mall's invicta store to trade/trade-up a watch. There not great watches but it's nice to be able to trade one in over the 5 year warranty cycle for anything in the store.
70% AVGE | 20% FXNAX | 10% T-Bill/Muni
fourwheelcycle

Post by fourwheelcycle »

I'm wearing .... Oh, gosh, I'm not wearing a watch. I'm retired. Washed up, as my wife says.

When I was working I wore a Victorinox Swiss Army Infantry 24653 or a Casio GWM510-1.

Now that I'm retired, I bought a Citizen ProMaster E168-S116660 that will probably outlive me. I like it because it is solid as a rock, keeps perfect time, and gets its battery power from normal daylight (like the Casio). I still have the Victorinox. It is very nice, but I need to change the battery every two years or so.
uaeebs86

Post by uaeebs86 »

fourwheelcycle wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:37 pm
Now that I'm retired, I bought a Citizen ProMaster E168-S116660 that will probably outlive me. I like it because it is solid as a rock, keeps perfect time, and gets its battery power from normal daylight (like the Casio).

I made the same comment to my wife and kids about my 2 Casio atomic solar watches. :sharebeer
"Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out." ― John Wooden
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

vrex wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:12 am Casio F-91W has everything I need and nothing I don’t. $18 😀
I have one of these too but I find it harder to read the time with a quick glance as compared with my analog watches. Great price though! I wear mine when I might be robbed, like when I go to a sketchy part of town or to a third world country.
smectym

Post by smectym »

Timex Expedition
William4589

Post by William4589 »

Tommy Hilfiger with black leather wristband.
"The trouble is, you think you have time." - Jack Kornfield
rule of law guy

Post by rule of law guy »

my iPhone is my watch. what am I missing?
Never wrong, unless my wife tells me that I am.
hudson

Post by hudson »

rule of law guy wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:11 pm my iPhone is my watch. what am I missing?
Nothing...anything that works is good technique!

But, if you had an (updated) Apple Watch and iPhone and you...
went to iPhone settings
searched for "watch"
selected "Apple Watch Remote Screen"
selected "Apple Watch Mirroring"
You could see your watch enlarged on your phone.
I'm not sure what that's good for?
Doubleeagle4me

Post by Doubleeagle4me »

Omega speedy moon watch
LFKB

Post by LFKB »

The green dial, black face Rolex Submariner usually

Sometimes the white and blue IWC Portuguese

Currently in the market for a Rolex Sky Dweller
ubermax

Post by ubermax »

Timex Ironman - Walmart - < 50 bucks
boricha

Post by boricha »

Nicolas wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:13 pm
boricha wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:45 pm
Nicolas wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:39 pm
boricha wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:33 pm SKX013 on weekends.
That’s a great watch. I’ve got the SKX007, now out of production.
Always nice to come across another SKX owner. :sharebeer
I have a 009 as well. Hope to get many more years of service out of them.
I also have a used "Planet Monster" built by Yobokies (Seiko Boy) of Hong Kong who specializes in Seiko mods. It's part Omega Planet Ocean, part Orange Monster, part Seiko SKX007 dive watch with a red minute hand and inner anti-reflective blue-coated sapphire crystal on an Oyster bracelet. The movement is SKX007, the 7S26. The seller said there was a problem in that the power reserve was only 12 hours. I bought it anyway for $240, then took it to a jeweler who fixed the power reserve problem for free. It's a beauty. I’ll have had it eleven years this summer.
That's a mighty fine custom. Sounds like it turned out to be great find/deal. The mods can get pretty interesting. While I'm ambivalent about the homage models currently on the market, it does seem to bode well for SKX longevity and customization.

I have the same power reserve issue on my 009. Glad to hear it can potentially be fixed easily/cheaply.
DiploInvestor

Post by DiploInvestor »

Apple Watch Series 7. Does everything I need and then some.
"History doesn’t repeat itself, but it often rhymes." -- Mark Twain // "If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need." — Cicero
gmc4h232

Post by gmc4h232 »

I dont normally wear a watch, but when I do, it's an Oris Divers Sixty Five
Raraculus

Post by Raraculus »

Anyone wearing a MoonSwatch, the collaboration between Omega and Swatch? How is it? The feel? A mini review would be appreciated.
Fogbank

Post by Fogbank »

I'm wearing a Swiss Army 40mm I bought in 1999 for $250. It was the first "nice thing" I ever bought for myself. Needs a new battery every few years but still working.

Have my eye on a Bulova Lunar Pilot, or a Seiko SSG015. 8-)
Raraculus wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:14 am Anyone wearing a MoonSwatch, the collaboration between Omega and Swatch? How is it? The feel? A mini review would be appreciated.
Second Hand Review:

A friend of mine drove 3 hours each way to buy one of these (they are only available in-person in Swatch stores) and I was talking to him about it (we both like watches but are pretty frugal about it)

He says the "cool" factor of the Moonswatch wore off pretty quickly... He sold it and went back to his Dan Henry. The "Moonswatch" is all plastic. Plastic case, plastic band, plastic crystal, cheap ETA movement, etc. He kind of got pulled into the hype and couldn't help himself.

The good news is that you can flip these on the second-hand market for more than retail, due to the deliberately limited supply. Bottom line is that if these didn't say Omega on them, they would be a $60 watch.
gronkman

Re: What watch do you wear on a daily basis?

Post by gronkman »

Picasso wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:04 am Apple Watch 24/7. My Rolex hasn’t seen the light of day in 2 years
My experience, except I charge it when I sleep.
I use it for:
  • Tracking my exercise
  • Convenient stopwatch/time/alarm
  • Weather at a glance
  • Important texts and emails
  • My next meeting/appointment
I pull out my iPhone a lot less now.
SuperSaver

Post by SuperSaver »

Raraculus wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:14 am Anyone wearing a MoonSwatch, the collaboration between Omega and Swatch? How is it? The feel? A mini review would be appreciated.
Yes, walked into NYC Times Square Swatch Store, and somehow bought last of allotment that week.

It’s a nice watch. Classic design. Looks identical to genuine Omega item I had years ago. I enjoy it 100x because I know I got it for 1/10th of cost of Omega, and it makes me just as happy

Bulova makes a “homage” watch once in while with better movement
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

None. I have no need for a watch since I have a cell phone (which, since in my pocket, has also cured me of habitually checking the time for no reason).

For the same reason, I no longer carry a date book or a calendar in my wallet.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Newest latest Apple Watch with "fall detect" and "emergency, etc", also with own cell service.
Linked to Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max, but still works independently.

I have not needed a watch in over a decade since retiring but use the Apple Watch for these latest safety features.
I am very fond of "Gerry the Giraffe" moving screen on the watch.

Prior to this, for most of my adult life.
Casio G Shock

j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Mr. Buzzkill

Post by Mr. Buzzkill »

Once I was content with a $29.95 Timex quartz. Then the crown started oxidizing (from contact with my perspiration?). Quality of finish on Timex isn’t what it once was.

Then about 15 or 20 years ago, I got a Citizen Eco-Drive solar powered watch. Fully charged it goes up to six months without exposure to light if I recall the instruction manual.

No winding, no battery replacement. Long power reserve. As accurate as the Timex as far as I can tell. Replaced a worn out band twice. Long term I estimate that it’s been less expensive than replacing batteries on a cheap Timex.
A strategy that works only in bull markets isn’t much of a strategy. Anyway, four dollars a pound.
LFKB

Post by LFKB »

The green/black Rolex Submariner, also known as the Kermit or Starbucks
AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat »

Ain’t worn a watch in 22 years. And my phone doesn’t always leave the house with me.
This post is a work of fiction. Any similarity to real financial advice is purely coincidental.
RoloRonnie

Post by RoloRonnie »

Rolex Submariner 114060
wm631

Post by wm631 »

rule of law guy wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:11 pm my iPhone is my watch. what am I missing?
A lot more than "time", if/when you misplace/drop it. A little tough to have happen (and, a lot more convenient) if a device is securely strapped and you can quickly flick your wrist at any given moment - on the street, in a vehicle, exercising, doing yard work, vacuuming, etc.

For a lot of us, a watch is still essential. I can tell you as a former lab technician it was an absolute necessity for juggling timed samples along with a million other time-intensive details I'd be multi-tasking. You also don't want various chemicals, fuels, etc. dripping-oozing all over a cell-phone. I'm pretty sure physicians, nurses, almost any manufacturing-construction, culinary workers, even waiters-waitresses would have a similar preference. A simple 6-month to a year throw-away Timex beats any iPhone in that moment-to-moment convenience and worth every bit of the $50 bucks.
wm631

Post by wm631 »

Mr. Buzzkill wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:28 am Once I was content with a $29.95 Timex quartz. Then the crown started oxidizing (from contact with my perspiration?). Quality of finish on Timex isn’t what it once was.

Then about 15 or 20 years ago, I got a Citizen Eco-Drive solar powered watch. Fully charged it goes up to six months without exposure to light if I recall the instruction manual.

No winding, no battery replacement. Long power reserve. As accurate as the Timex as far as I can tell. Replaced a worn out band twice. Long term I estimate that it’s been less expensive than replacing batteries on a cheap Timex.
True. One Citizen Eco-Drive solar-powered watch I "gifted" myself as a "social" watch back in 2001 (... I still have so many pretty new battery "work" watches stock-piled, just for their now-expensive stainless-steel bracelets alone). The main (?) "charging" battery portion of it finally died on it's own (stopped charging) around the spring of 2020. I ought to sit down and try to figure out how much I saved on batteries with it over almost twenty years.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

I would like to wear a nice watch, but I wear an Apple Watch because I am addicted to the biometric data.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
BillyK

Post by BillyK »

The one that I am wearing the most lately is an Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra co-axial master chronometer 41 mm with a green dial and steel bracelet. It has the date dial at 6 o’clock which I prefer over 3 o’clock. I like that it has crystal glass on its caseback so that you can see the movement. It is a good all around watch that you can wear from casual to more formal. James Bond (Daniel Craig) wore an Aqua Terra in both Spectre and No Time to Die.

Omega is a subsidiary of Swatch and gives you a lot of bang for the buck when compared on specifications to other Swiss luxury brands such as Rolex. It is somewhat model dependent, but purely on resale value Rolex easily beats out Omega. However, unlike Rolex models you can easily find Omega watches at below retail prices, particularly with reputable grey market sellers if you are willing to forego the original manufacturer’s warranty for the one offered by the seller. Then if you have it serviced by an authorized Omega service center, they will provide you an extended factory warranty from the service date.
judge1905

Post by judge1905 »

Apple watch series 6. Have some friends who compete with me as far as fitness and they are all tied into the apple ecosystem. The battery definitely could be better though. Wear it 22/7. Only take it off in the shower, or to charge.
bikechuck

Post by bikechuck »

I use a rectangular pocket watch ... currently a Pixel7 Pro
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

wm631 wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:32 am
A lot more than "time", if/when you misplace/drop it. A little tough to have happen (and, a lot more convenient) if a device is securely strapped and you can quickly flick your wrist at any given moment - on the street, in a vehicle, exercising, doing yard work, vacuuming, etc.

A simple 6-month to a year throw-away Timex beats any iPhone in that moment-to-moment convenience and worth every bit of the $50 bucks.

Thank you! I dont understand the “im retired so im casual with my time” sentiment.

Ive not been working for a year and I still have places to be at, people to meet, and other casual leisure activities that are still time-punctuated. Or even something as mundane as watching a sports event on TV.

Yes I can pull out my smartphone, or call POP-CORN (remember that!?!)….but its far easier glancing at my wrist.
chance

Post by chance »

Garmin Fenix 6. Yes, it tells the time, but nowadays I find the fitness tracking functions way more useful, these include: step counter, stair counter, heart rate, heart rate variability, sleep tracking, training volume, run tracking, and podcasts and music on runs.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

Timex Expedition. Because I wanted: cheap, reliable, water resistant, long battery life, multiple alarms, vibration alarms, chime, stopwatch, timer.

I tend to wear only Casio or Timex digital watches.

I used to have a watch that had a thermometer on it, but I have a phone if I ever want a weather forecast.

I've been gifted or otherwise obtained expensive luxury or designer watches, but I found it annoying to have to think about their care and feeding. They also lacked the features I wanted.

For me, a watch is about function, not to impress. I don't consider the Casio or Timex digitals to be disposable -- I tend to wear them until they wear out (usually years).
TacoLover

Post by TacoLover »

Grand Seiko whatever the diver's watch is with the straight hands not the arrow hands.
I am very active but also would like a nice-looking watch. the criteria for the watch were:

1 looks nice.
2 waterproof
3 reliable
4 mechanical (actually that's part of the looks nice for me)

I have a cartier tank franchise that is I think the most beautiful watch there is. It is gorgeous but also understated. No offense to the Rolex people but Rolex looks like a watch that you want people to notice. In contrast I think Cartier Tank Francaise just looks SO ELEGANT. I think Omega also looks enough like a Rolex that it's beautiful but it doesn't seem to say "look at me I'm wearing an expensive watch" the way Rolex does. The Cartier filled my needs in terms of having a beautiful daily watch but I couldn't use it to swim (though I did use it for everything else including mountain biking). But it could not keep time. I mean good enough. But every month I would be more than a minute or two off. So every month I had to remember to reset it otherwise it ran slow. I had it checked out by Omega. They cleaned it and did a tune up but every month it was off by a few minutes. Which I think is acceptable for mechanical watches. But not for me. I hated that I could not count on the time. And then I learned that's true for ALL mechanical watches.

I had a casio that worked great for years then the strap broke. I was told replacing the strap would cost almost as much as just buying a new watch. I don't remember why. It was a long time ago. So I thought I'll buy a big boy watch - a nice looking diver's watch.

So I remembered Seiko when I was a kid, bought a nice Seiko diver's watch and loved it but it either also lost time or broke. Don't remember which. It was a long time ago.

So then I thought maybe I'd like a fancy athletic watch. I looked into Rolex for a while. I bought a fake Rolex to see if I'd like it or be self conscious and I felt like everyone stared at it. I work with a lot of people who really don't have money. It might have been my imagination but I don't think so. People often stared at it. I didn't like the feeling so I got rid of it and decided not to buy a Rolex. Also Rolex may be among the best most reliable mechanical watches made, but they are still mechanical and not as reliable as digital and not as reliable as I could tolerate.

I thought Omega bec I wouldn't be self conscious but it also has the "doesn't keep time well enough" problem.

Then I discovered Grand Seiko, discovered Spring Drive, and it's been a marriage made in heaven! I've received a small number of compliments, sometimes people saying beautiful watch but mostly people who really know watches and recognize it. Otherwise no one recognizes it's fancy. I like that. For anyone considering Grand Seiko Spring Drive... highly recommended!
Workaholic

Post by Workaholic »

Just got the call that the Rolex GMT Master Pepsi I’ve been on the list for 3 years finally was allocated to me! Woohoo! Super excited to finally get this watch, it’ll make a great companion to my Submariner.