Open Links in New Tab/Window

Discussions about the forum and contents
Topic Author
southerndoc

Open Links in New Tab/Window

Post by southerndoc »

Bogleheads is the only forum I visit where links open in the current window. Sometimes I like to open them and read them later.

Have the mods/admins considered changing the default behavior to opening in a new window/tab?
Peculiar_Investor
Site Admin

Re: Open Links in New Tab/Window

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

southerndoc wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:48 pm where links open in the current window. Sometimes I like to open them and read them later.
That is because is standard and expected behaviour.

If you want to open a link in another tab or window then that's your choice, right click on the link and your browser will offer the choice.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
Jacotus

Post by Jacotus »

Or middle click to open in new tab. Or ctrl-click.
22twain

Post by 22twain »

If you're using Safari on an iPhone or iPad, press and hold on the link. You'll get a popup menu of options for opening it. "Open in background" gives you a new tab, hidden behind the current one. Tap the new tab to bring it to the front.
Meet my pet, Peeve, who loves to convert non-acronyms into acronyms: FED, ROTH, CASH, IVY, ...
Topic Author
southerndoc

Post by southerndoc »

I'm using Chrome on macOS.

I wouldn't say this is standard behavior (at least for forums). This apparently isn't the default option of phpBB and requires an extension to do. Other forum software (vBulletin, Fora/XenForo, Discourse, etc.) have default settings to open in new tabs/windows.
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

Peculiar_Investor wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:57 pm
southerndoc wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:48 pm where links open in the current window. Sometimes I like to open them and read them later.
That is because is standard and expected behaviour.

If you want to open a link in another tab or window then that's your choice, right click on the link and your browser will offer the choice.
+1

?

This is very easy
“Conventional Treasury rates are risk free only in the sense that they guarantee nominal principal. But their real rate of return is uncertain until after the fact.” -Risk Less and Prosper
TwstdSista

Post by TwstdSista »

I would disagree that it is standard behavior. Maybe it used to be?? Currently, Bogleheads is the only (forum-type) site I visit that opens a link in the current window. I've adjusted to using the right-click option.
otinkyad

Post by otinkyad »

None of the forums I read open a new tab (or worse, window). That would drive me nuts, whereas clicking links with the middle button is trivial if desired.
retireIn2020

Post by retireIn2020 »

TwstdSista wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 4:02 am I would disagree that it is standard behavior. Maybe it used to be?? Currently, Bogleheads is the only (forum-type) site I visit that opens a link in the current window. I've adjusted to using the right-click option.
I agree, standard behavior would be to open a new window or tab at the very least. It's an easy workaround to right click and select a new window but is annoying given the fact that all other forums simply use "new window" with a left click. Maybe the boglehead dev team could put it on the list for future releases?
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/abide
TwstdSista

Post by TwstdSista »

^ Just to clarify (for me) - the issue is following a link while already reading a thread. I click on a thread and someone posts a link within it. When I click on that link, I suddenly lose my thread and am taken elsewhere. On other forums, when I click on a link within a thread I am taken to a new tab and I keep my thread in the original tab. Best of both worlds!

I'm used to the workaround and will keep using it. It's just a small annoyance.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Remember that you can always hit your browser's "Back" button to return to the thread.

The "Open in a new tab or window" vs. "same tab or window" is a long-running debate. We defer to the intent of the software developers who have the experience and resources to understand which approach to use. If the forum software stays in the same window or tab, that's what we'll do.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

southerndoc wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 3:54 am I'm using Chrome on macOS.

I wouldn't say this is standard behavior (at least for forums). This apparently isn't the default option of phpBB and requires an extension to do. Other forum software (vBulletin, Fora/XenForo, Discourse, etc.) have default settings to open in new tabs/windows.
Command-tap on the touchpad is your friend.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Raybo

Possible to have links open in a new tab/window?

Post by Raybo »

[Thread merged into here --admin LadyGeek]

Whenever I click on a link when reading forum threads, the link opens in the same window as the forum. This means that in order to refer back to the forum, I have to use the back arrow on my browser. It also means that I lose the forum tab/window if I forget and close the link's tab/window when I am done reading it.

Some users might like this. If so, could it be made a setting option? I much prefer that the forum open a new tab/window for every link encapsulated in a forum post.
No matter how long the hill, if you keep pedaling you'll eventually get up to the top.
livesoft

Re: Possible to have links open in a new tab/window?

Post by livesoft »

On a Mac: Command-click opens in a new window. Maybe on Windows Alt-Click does the same? I'm using a touchpad / keyboard on a Mac, so my fingers /hands/wrists do not have to move.

I usually open several tabs/windows in quick succession, then starting to view them while others are still being loaded. Then of course close read windows with Command-w.
retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen »

Edge/Chrome on Windows - right-click and choose Open link in new tab
rk6

Post by rk6 »

In addition to Right-click then new tab or window, the default for most browsers on Windows is for Shift-click to open a link in a new window, and Ctrl-click to open a link in a new tab in the existing window.

I don't know if this site also has a separate setting to control that, separately from the above.
Last edited by rk6 on Thu Sep 21, 2023 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged Raybo's thread into the ongoing discussion.

As noted in an earlier post, we're sticking with whatever the forum software does.
LadyGeek wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:44 am Remember that you can always hit your browser's "Back" button to return to the thread.

The "Open in a new tab or window" vs. "same tab or window" is a long-running debate. We defer to the intent of the software developers who have the experience and resources to understand which approach to use. If the forum software stays in the same window or tab, that's what we'll do.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Raybo

Post by Raybo »

livesoft wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 3:18 pm On a Mac: Command-click opens in a new window. Maybe on Windows Alt-Click does the same? I'm using a touchpad / keyboard on a Mac, so my fingers /hands/wrists do not have to move.

I usually open several tabs/windows in quick succession, then starting to view them while others are still being loaded. Then of course close read windows with Command-w.
Thanks, livesoft.

Yes, I could (and often) do this. Depends on the browser. On my browser, right click on the link and then click on Open in New Tab. But is all this extra clicking really necessary? It is a simple thing to do in html and most sites do this automatically. Hard to believe the forum software doesn't already offer this functionality that simply needs to be turned on.
No matter how long the hill, if you keep pedaling you'll eventually get up to the top.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

retiringwhen wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 3:20 pm Edge/Chrome on Windows - right-click and choose Open link in new tab

This is what I do on a Mac.

I can then select new tab or new window (or copy link, or other choices).

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

ResearchMed wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 3:41 pm
retiringwhen wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 3:20 pm Edge/Chrome on Windows - right-click and choose Open link in new tab

I guess my point was that on a Mac, there is no need to click twice if you can press your thumb on the Command button before clicking the first time.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

livesoft wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 4:30 pm
ResearchMed wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 3:41 pm

I guess my point was that on a Mac, there is no need to click twice if you can press your thumb on the Command button before clicking the first time.

If my thumb isn't near the Command button, and none of my fingers are near the keyboard at the time, I find it a lot easier to avoid changing my position while I eat some peeled grapes, etc.

As for regular life, I find it almost trivial to "click twice", especially with a very comfortable mouse. I can't think of many things that are easier.

Not sure how "pressing a thumb and then clicking" is easier... but as they say, you do you...!

RM
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I see. I don't have a mouse to use. I would find it hard to use one while laying on the couch.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

livesoft wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 4:49 pm I see. I don't have a mouse to use. I would find it hard to use one while laying on the couch.

Not difficult at all...

I just move the mouse along the bottom bedsheet, or sofa cushion, or even my body... pretty much any smooth surface that is closest/most convenient when in "relaxation mode".

:D

RM
cheesepep

Post by cheesepep »

One of the main reasons why I use Firefox (with extensions) is to open link in the SAME window/tab. It drives me mad to click on a link and it opens in a new tab. And when I want to go back, I have to switch tabs because the back button goes nowhere.

With Firefox and with an added configuration, all clicked links open in the same window. If I want links to open in a new window, then I do right click.