CD discussion thread

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
indexfundfan

Re: CD discussion thread

Post by indexfundfan »

jeffyscott wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:12 am I have seen that sort of thing before with E-Trade and thought about checking if they really would be able to buy a CD when Fidelity, Schwab, and Vanguard weren't showing any availability.

I didn't have any ability to try submitting a trade there, though. My other option would have been to call Schwab or Fidelity and ask if they could buy it for me, even though it was not showing up online (but I didn't bother).
I'm thinking maybe Capital One or Discover "allocate" the number of CDs for each brokerage (or each brokerage requests a certain quantity) to sell. So E*trade might still have some in the inventory if it moves the CDs slower.

I could buy from E*trade but I prefer to buy from Fidelity because at E*trade, dividends are usually only posted for use the next day whereas dividends are generally posted in the morning at Fidelity.
My signature has been deleted.
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

^ Yeah, I figured that was one way it could work. The other possibility would be that there's a centralized inventory and E-Trade is just slow to update.

Schwab also does dividends the way E-Trade does. They do, however, make it easier for me to buy than Fidelity. With Schwab, and no cash and no margin, I am able to put in a mutual fund sell order and then immediately put in a buy order for a CD. Fidelity, as I recall, didn't allow that. I would have to wait for the mutual fund shares to be sold and only then be able to buy a CD with the cash.
Topic Author
indexfundfan

Post by indexfundfan »

jeffyscott wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:46 am ^ Yeah, I figured that was one way it could work. The other possibility would be that there's a centralized inventory and E-Trade is just slow to update.

Schwab also does dividends the way E-Trade does. They do, however, make it easier for me to buy than Fidelity. With Schwab, and no cash and no margin, I am able to put in a mutual fund sell order and then immediately put in a buy order for a CD. Fidelity, as I recall, didn't allow that. I would have to wait for the mutual fund shares to be sold and only then be able to buy a CD with the cash.
I assume E*trade does have the CDs because I can see the Capital One CD inventory going down.
L84SUPR

Post by L84SUPR »

jeffyscott wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 7:03 am
L84SUPR wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:13 am
MikeG62 wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:56 am Throwing this one out there.

Fidelity is offering a 5-year non-callable brokered CD (from Capital One) at a yield of 4.90%. FDIC insured.

I've never bought a brokered CD, but this yield is wide enough to comparable term Treasuries to get my attention. I placed an order for 100 of these CD's this morning. Settlement is Nov 2. I plan to hold these till maturity.
I saw something similar on Vanguard but I couldn't figure out how to view the fine print. How do we know the rates are not stepped. I have come across CDs with a great first year rate followed by a typical rate thereafter. I guess I have two questions. In your case how did you check to see if the rates were stepped? And does anybody know how to see the details for CDs on Vanguard?
I don't use Vanguard, but took a look and in the search results, you can click on the bank name in the "issue" column. That will open a page with the CD details, which for this one include: "Coupon type = Regular" ( I guess that's Vanguard's odd terminology for what other brokerages call "fixed"). You can also specify no stepped coupon on the search page, the stepped coupon box has the choices "optional, yes, and no".

I was surprised to get an email notification that my weekend order for this CD had executed at about 6:30 ET. I'd not expected to see that until the bond market opens at about 8, not that it matters.
Thank you very much. That was above and beyond the call.
1/3rd VTWAX, 1/3rd Wellington, 1/3rd G Fund | All models are wrong. Some are useful.
starboi

Post by starboi »

Capital One offering 5% for 5 years via brokered CD.
turtlebug

Post by turtlebug »

SkyOne Federal Credit Union has a 22-month CD at 5.00% APY. Minimum opening deposit of 1K. Flexible penalty and fee-free one-time withdrawal up to 50% of initial deposit. Add up to 50% of the initial deposit and receive a one-time fixed rate bump of 0.25% APY (CD must be open for 9-months first). Easy membership w/ACC (and others).

https://www.skyone.org/22month/
Kevin M

Post by Kevin M »

I can get a TEY of 5% or more with Treasuries from 6-month to about 18-month maturity:

Because of the inverted yield curve from 1-year to 10-year maturities, the 5-year TEY is only 4.48%.

I personally am not going out further than six months with new cash for nominal fixed income, and would be very reluctant to go out five years with the kind of inflation we've experienced recently.

Kevin
If I make a calculation error, #Cruncher probably will let me know.
MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 »

turtlebug wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 1:17 pm SkyOne Federal Credit Union has a 22-month CD at 5.00% APY. Minimum opening deposit of 1K. Flexible penalty and fee-free one-time withdrawal up to 50% of initial deposit. Add up to 50% of the initial deposit and receive a one-time fixed rate bump of 0.25% APY (CD must be open for 9-months first). Easy membership w/ACC (and others).

That’s an interesting CD (lots of nuance there). However, the field of membership appears quite limited. Few here will likely qualify for it I think.
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience
turtlebug

Post by turtlebug »

MikeG62 wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 4:21 pm
turtlebug wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 1:17 pm SkyOne Federal Credit Union has a 22-month CD at 5.00% APY. Minimum opening deposit of 1K. Flexible penalty and fee-free one-time withdrawal up to 50% of initial deposit. Add up to 50% of the initial deposit and receive a one-time fixed rate bump of 0.25% APY (CD must be open for 9-months first). Easy membership w/ACC (and others).

That’s an interesting CD (lots of nuance there). However, the field of membership appears quite limited. Few here will likely qualify for it I think.
My understanding is this offer is available to all via SaveBetter or one can join the ACC (American Consumer Council) to be eligible. When I joined the ACC years ago for other credit union deals, my cost to join was $8.
taxck33

Post by taxck33 »

It looks as if the only 5 year CD available at Fidelity now is 4.25%, which is way lower than what they were at before they all disappeared a week ago. Does this mean we should be locking in 5% deals where they're available even though the Fed is expected to continue increasing rates?
HeelaMonster

Post by HeelaMonster »

In Vanguard's display of brokered CDs, am I safe in assuming that the offerings WITHOUT "callable" in their listing are not (callable)... as opposed to the ones that are marked callable? I am not seeing any place to drill deeper on individual CDs, beyond what is listed in that display of CDs available within a given maturity term (e.g., 2 years). But they do seem to be explicit in identifying which ones are callable, on that listing.
Philly30

Post by Philly30 »

Way CD Rates are going it may be a good ides to remove money from IBONDS next spring and put it in A CD
MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 »

taxck33 wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:00 pm It looks as if the only 5 year CD available at Fidelity now is 4.25%, which is way lower than what they were at before they all disappeared a week ago. Does this mean we should be locking in 5% deals where they're available even though the Fed is expected to continue increasing rates?
The Fed's expected future hikes are already priced in. The driver of higher CD rates going forward would be if the Fed has to go higher to vanquish inflation.

I'd say good luck finding 5-year CD's at 5.0% after last weeks CPI and this weeks PPI. I saw upper 4's for 2 year CD's today at Fidelity, but not out to 5 years. I bought a few 5-year CD's a few weeks ago at 4.90%. I consider those well bought.
InvestorHowie

Post by InvestorHowie »

HeelaMonster wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:45 pm In Vanguard's display of brokered CDs, am I safe in assuming that the offerings WITHOUT "callable" in their listing are not (callable)... as opposed to the ones that are marked callable? I am not seeing any place to drill deeper on individual CDs, beyond what is listed in that display of CDs available within a given maturity term (e.g., 2 years). But they do seem to be explicit in identifying which ones are callable, on that listing.
If you drill down into any CD in Vanguard's search you'll see a section called 'Calls & sinking fund features'. The first entry will be 'Callable' with 'No' or 'Yes' with many more details beneath. You may not see this drill-down if you simply click on the highest rate possible - you'll likely need to do a search based on duration or rate to see these details.

EDIT: I think you're correct that the short description should clue you in on the 'callable' factor but I always drill down to be sure. Lots of other helpful details there too.
Time is your friend; impulse is your enemy. --John C. Bogle
HeelaMonster

Post by HeelaMonster »

InvestorHowie wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:32 pm
HeelaMonster wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:45 pm In Vanguard's display of brokered CDs, am I safe in assuming that the offerings WITHOUT "callable" in their listing are not (callable)... as opposed to the ones that are marked callable? I am not seeing any place to drill deeper on individual CDs, beyond what is listed in that display of CDs available within a given maturity term (e.g., 2 years). But they do seem to be explicit in identifying which ones are callable, on that listing.
If you drill down into any CD in Vanguard's search you'll see a section called 'Calls & sinking fund features'. The first entry will be 'Callable' with 'No' or 'Yes' with many more details beneath. You may not see this drill-down if you simply click on the highest rate possible - you'll likely need to do a search based on duration or rate to see these details.

EDIT: I think you're correct that the short description should clue you in on the 'callable' factor but I always drill down to be sure. Lots of other helpful details there too.
Thanks! It wasn't easy (I could only get there by backing out and running a search from scratch, once I had identified the CD of interest, which seemed very roundabout)... but I did find those details. I knew there had to be more than I was being presented on the select-your-purchase list.
evelynmanley

Post by evelynmanley »

Very interesting article by Ken Tumin on 11/23/22:

https://www.depositaccounts.com/blog/cd-rates-survey/

<<Based on the yield changes of long-term Treasury notes and brokered CDs, we may be at or near peak CD rates. Even though the Fed is likely to hike rates a few more times, the markets are seeing an end of rate hikes around the first half of next year. The current odds point to a peak target federal funds rate of 5.00%-5.25% (125 bps above today’s level) that is reached around the middle of next year (per CME FedWatch Tool.)<<
hudson

Best 5 Year CDs that I could find

Post by hudson »

Fidelity brokered CD...non-callable....4%
CUSIP DSMBH7764

Vanguard's offering for 5 years and higher are all callable.

Bread Savings is offering a regular CD at 4.64%. https://savings.breadfinancial.com/prod ... of-deposit

Navy Federal Credit Union 4.15%
Penfed CU 3.90%
Andrews FCU 4.2%

Edit: Capital One 4.25% APY
Last edited by hudson on Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
unbiased

Post by unbiased »

Sad to see these non callable 5% yielders go away. I was able to grab a few of them, but wish I had bought more—just didn’t want all the taxable income.

Still, with treasuries easily yielding north of 4%, that’s not a bad deal either and they tend to be more liquid if you need to cash out early.
turtlebug

Post by turtlebug »

State Bank of Texas now has a 12-month CD Special at 5.00% APY with a $25k minimum deposit, no stated balance cap. Available nationwide.

https://statebnk.com/personal-banking/c ... f-deposit/
MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 »

turtlebug wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:08 am State Bank of Texas now has a 12-month CD Special at 5.00% APY with a $25k minimum deposit, no stated balance cap. Available nationwide.

https://statebnk.com/personal-banking/c ... f-deposit/
I see these 5.0% one years +/- from time to time and I’m tempted to hop on them. Then I look at the 1 year treasury and adjust for my state tax benefit and I realize I can get pretty much the same yield in a one year Treasury.

That’s now. May change in the future. I can’t help but think the 1 year treasury may hit 5.0% before any state tax benefit before this rate rising cycle is over too.
fsrph

Post by fsrph »

Inova Federal credit union just increased certain CD rates.

11 months 5%
14 months 5.1%
17 months 5.5%

https://www.inovafederal.org/

Francis
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie
gavinsiu

Post by gavinsiu »

This might be a dumb question but how are cd taxed. Is the tax deferred until you cash it or do you get a 1099int annually
IowaFarmWife

Post by IowaFarmWife »

gavinsiu wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:11 pm This might be a dumb question but how are cd taxed. Is the tax deferred until you cash it or do you get a 1099int annually
With CDs that last more than 12 months, your interest earnings may accrue in multiple calendar years. The IRS wants you to report the interest and pay taxes on your earnings as the earnings accrue.2 Even if you don’t withdraw funds or see a deposit in your account, you most likely need to report your earnings each year. Your bank will generally issue a Form 1099-OID to help you report the correct amount.

For example, if you open a three-year CD that pays interest at maturity, you don’t necessarily get your interest each year. However, the interest still accrues each year and should generally be reported as income.

For short-term CDs or those that pay interest frequently, you get a 1099-INT each year for the earnings you received.
https://www.thebalancemoney.com/do-i-pa ... est-315242
"A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore." Yogi Berra's financial wisdom.
gavinsiu

Post by gavinsiu »

Thks what about a 1 year cd puchased back in aug of this year. Will there be a 1099 int this year or will it show up next year?
IowaFarmWife

Post by IowaFarmWife »

gavinsiu wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:39 pm Thks what about a 1 year cd puchased back in aug of this year. Will there be a 1099 int this year or will it show up next year?
Should be this year for the interest that has accrued thus far.
"A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore." Yogi Berra's financial wisdom.
safari

Post by safari »

IowaFarmWife wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:48 am
gavinsiu wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:39 pm Thks what about a 1 year cd puchased back in aug of this year. Will there be a 1099 int this year or will it show up next year?
That's not how I understand it. According to this article,
Note that for CDs with terms of one year or less, interest can be paid in a single payment at maturity. Thus, if you open a 1-year CD today and the CD only pays interest at maturity, you won’t have any taxable interest on that CD for this year, and you shouldn’t expect to receive Form 1099-INT for this CD next January.
rivercrosser

Post by rivercrosser »

IowaFarmWife wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:48 am
Depends on how its compounded and pays out interest. If its quarterly, you will owe tax for interest paid out or added to principle in November. A CD that compounds every six months you probably won't get a 1099 for yet.
Jb526

Post by Jb526 »

NASA Federal Credit Union
49-month CD @ 4.75% APR

Without needing to live in a specific part of the country or having to meet very specific credit union membership requirements, is the CD listed above the longest term with the highest rate that one can hope to find this year? Or is it likely that one will easily be able to obtain maybe a 5-year CD at 5% APR or higher at some point later during 2023?
hudson

Post by hudson »

Jb526 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:22 am NASA Federal Credit Union
49-month CD @ 4.75% APR

Without needing to live in a specific part of the country or having to meet very specific credit union membership requirements, is the CD listed above the longest term with the highest rate that one can hope to find this year? Or is it likely that one will easily be able to obtain maybe a 5-year CD at 5% APR or higher at some point later during 2023?
That's a good rate.
Best for the year? That's completely unknown. Rates are fickle and unpredictable.
When I have cash to invest, I shop banks/credit unions, brokered CDs, and treasuries and make a move.

I also consider buying half TIPS and half CDs/nominal treasuries....or even 100% TIPS.

I rarely go shorter than 5 years with exceptions. I plan to be duration matched in the next year. There's a lot more to say about that, but vineviz already said it in another discussion.

A quick non-expert look at rates at Fidelity shows:
5 year call protected brokered CD at 3.9%
5 year treasury: 3.651% (no state tax)

Navy Federal 5 Year 4.2%
Penfed 5 year 3.9%

Oops...you said 49 months; well 5 years is close.
Topic Author
indexfundfan

Post by indexfundfan »

Alliant Credit Union has a 36mo to ~48mo CD at 4.6% for a while now. For this CD, you can select the maturity anywhere from 36mo to 48mo less one day. For example, if you open the CD today, you can select a maturity date in the range of 1/25/2026 through 1/24/2027.

The early withdrawal penalty is the accrued interest up to 180 days and will not eat into your principal. If you withdraw anytime in the first 180 days, you get back your principal with no interest.
Weathering

Post by Weathering »

Navy Federal has a special 15 month CD with 5.0% APY

https://www.navyfederal.org/checking-sa ... cates.html
It's on the banner at the top ("Open with as little as $50") but doesn't seem to be down in the rates section.

I just opened a small one from my 14 year old and set the interest to reinvest in the CD.

This is from their website: Limit one Special 15-Month Certificate (Share Only) per member. This offer, including the stated Annual Percentage Yield (APY), is effective as of January 9, 2023. Navy Federal reserves the right to end or modify this offer at any time. Excludes IRA and ESA certificates. The Special 15-Month Certificate (Share Only) has a $50 minimum balance and a $250,000 maximum balance. Additional deposits are allowed at any time, subject to the maximum balance. Dividends earned are not included in the maximum balance allowed. Once the promotional rate is applied to a purchased certificate, it will remain in effect for the length of the product term. Penalties apply for early withdrawals from certificate accounts.
Coopsdaddy

Post by Coopsdaddy »

What are you expecting this month?
Holding out for 5% on a 48 plus month
hudson

Post by hudson »

Coopsdaddy wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:56 am What are you expecting this month?
Coopsdaddy,
I vote that it's unknown.

Here were the Treasury rates for this past Friday, Jan. 27, 2023:
https://home.treasury.gov/resource-cent ... nth=202301

I'm not sure how close treasury rates are to CDs, but as you know, one doesn't pay state taxes on treasuries.
Topic Author
indexfundfan

Post by indexfundfan »

The longer term treasury rates have trended down since they peaked some time in November. Ken, in his blog post last week seems to think that we could be past the peak of long-term CD rates this cycle.

https://www.depositaccounts.com/blog/fe ... edictions/
Long-term CD rates generally follow Treasury yields with similar maturities. That suggests that we may be past the peak of long-term CD rates. Top nationally-available 5-year CD rates haven’t changed much in the last six weeks. On December 7th, the top 5-year CD rate was 4.75% APY ($1.5k min at Bread Financial). Today the top 5-year CD rate is 4.78% APY ($100k min at Lafayette FCU). The 50-bp Fed rate hike on December 14th didn’t have much impact. I doubt a 25-bp Fed rate hike next week will help.

We have been seeing more 5% CD Specials, but most have terms under three years. If you’re waiting for a long-term CD with a 5%+ yield, you may miss out on 4%+ long-term CDs. If long-term CD rates follow Treasury yields, 4%+ long-term CDs may not last much longer. Non-callable 5-year brokered CD rates have already fallen below 4%.The top ones last week had a yield of only 3.90% at both Fidelity and Vanguard.

It’s possible that we may eventually see many 5%+ long-term CDs. If the downward inflation trend doesn’t continue and inflation starts to rebound, the Fed may feel compelled to hike rates higher. However, if the downward inflation trend continues, the odds of 5%+ long-term CDs will fall significantly.

The average online 5-year CD yield continued to rise in December, but the rise was small. In December, the average 5-year yield only increased 4.5 bps, rising to 4.04%. The online 1-year CD yield had a larger gain, rising 21.6 bps to 4.37%. This is another sign that we might not see much more gains in long-term CD rates.
Topic Author
indexfundfan

Post by indexfundfan »

indexfundfan wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:25 pm Alliant Credit Union has a 36mo to ~48mo CD at 4.6% for a while now. For this CD, you can select the maturity anywhere from 36mo to 48mo less one day. For example, if you open the CD today, you can select a maturity date in the range of 1/25/2026 through 1/24/2027.

The early withdrawal penalty is the accrued interest up to 180 days and will not eat into your principal. If you withdraw anytime in the first 180 days, you get back your principal with no interest.
By the way, Alliant CU is currently running a promotion. It could be useful if you qualify and are starting a new CD with them.

https://promo.alliantcreditunion.org/fastpass
Coopsdaddy

Post by Coopsdaddy »

NASA Federal Credit Union looks to still be the best option.
Anyone have any regrets with them?
CletusCaddy

Post by CletusCaddy »

You can get that on a MYGA
poker27

Post by poker27 »

Figured this was as good of a place as any to ask this question. Is there such thing as a cd which will allow you to withdrawal accrued interest without penalty? I like the idea of an annuity, but am under the age limit, so I’d have to pay the 10% penalty.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

poker27 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:51 pm Figured this was as good of a place as any to ask this question. Is there such thing as a cd which will allow you to withdrawal accrued interest without penalty? I like the idea of an annuity, but am under the age limit, so I’d have to pay the 10% penalty.
Yes many do (Andrews) and many do not (sharonview). You need to read the actual terms and conditions, not just the website bullet points
MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 »

poker27 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:51 pm Figured this was as good of a place as any to ask this question. Is there such thing as a cd which will allow you to withdrawal accrued interest without penalty? I like the idea of an annuity, but am under the age limit, so I’d have to pay the 10% penalty.
Most CD's I've opened (across various financial institutions) offer the option to either allow interest to post to the CD or to my savings account. I always choose the former, but could have chosen the opposite.
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

Brokered CDs pay interest to your settlement account.
safari

Post by safari »

Bellco credit union is offering 5.00% APY on a 17-month CD. Anyone can join with a $10 donation, and the account can be opened online. Has anyone banked with them?

https://www.bellco.org/personal/persona ... f-deposit/
secondopinion

Post by secondopinion »

I focus on a 5-year add-on CD yielding 4.17% rate (not APY). It has little money in it; but if yields drop sharply, I will be glad for the hedge for any added money.
Passive investing: not about making big bucks but making profits. Active investing: not about beating the market but meeting goals. Speculation: not about timing the market but taking profitable risks.
Coopsdaddy

Post by Coopsdaddy »

Still curious if nasa cu is good to go.
Also is it insured up to 250000 total or per cd.
So example if you wanted 4 100000 cd is all of it insured or just 250000.
Thanks
chazas

Post by chazas »

Coopsdaddy wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:29 am Still curious if nasa cu is good to go.
Also is it insured up to 250000 total or per cd.
So example if you wanted 4 100000 cd is all of it insured or just 250000.
Thanks
Like FDIC insurance for banks, it’s $250K per depositor. I have a couple of CDs at NASA FCU now, and I had some a few years ago also. Never had a problem with their electronic platform, or going into the branch. I have never used their phone service so can’t speak to that.
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

safari wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:56 pm Bellco credit union is offering 5.00% APY on a 17-month CD. Anyone can join with a $10 donation, and the account can be opened online. Has anyone banked with them?

https://www.bellco.org/personal/persona ... f-deposit/
Yes, I have for many years. I just noticed that CD offer as well.
Jb526

Post by Jb526 »

Coopsdaddy wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:06 am NASA Federal Credit Union looks to still be the best option.
Anyone have any regrets with them?
Definitely looks like the best long-term option right now without geographic membership limitations. I've been eyeing them too.
Although, interest does compound monthly, and their early withdrawal penalty is a bit steep at one full year's earnings.

Another great option is the 27-month 5.00% APR from Sallie Mae via SaveBetter.
It's compounded daily, and early withdrawal penalty is six months.
bigfry

Post by bigfry »

Capital One offering a 5% CD for 11 months now.
Elmo

Post by Elmo »

secondopinion wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:16 pm I focus on a 5-year add-on CD yielding 4.17% rate (not APY). It has little money in it; but if yields drop sharply, I will be glad for the hedge for any added money.
I'm interested in a 5 year add-on CD as well. Did I miss your post of a viable option?
Thanks secondopinion
Topic Author
indexfundfan

Post by indexfundfan »

Elmo wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:41 am
secondopinion wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:16 pm I focus on a 5-year add-on CD yielding 4.17% rate (not APY). It has little money in it; but if yields drop sharply, I will be glad for the hedge for any added money.
I'm interested in a 5 year add-on CD as well. Did I miss your post of a viable option?
Thanks secondopinion
That one is from Mountain America CU.

https://www.macu.com/accounts/savings/c ... e-accounts

They call it a Growth CD and is limited to $100k per person (not per CD).