VG Federal MM - US Govt obligations not included in 1099

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
GKSD

VG Federal MM - US Govt obligations not included in 1099

Post by GKSD »

Last year I had switched to VG brokerage platform and am getting a consolidated 1099 this year for first time. Looks like the included Supplemental Information does not provide breakdown of US Govt Obligations for the Federal Money Market fund. For all other funds that I hold, similar breakdown details across both US Govt Obligations and State specific dividend breakdown (for municipal funds) is included.

Anyone else notice the same?

This document on VG site provide the breakdown details but wonder why this info is missing as part of 1099.
ehh

Re: VG Federal MM - US Govt obligations not included in 1099

Post by ehh »

GKSD wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:26 pm Anyone else notice the same?
Yes.

I think this is the first year Vanguard supplied the "supplemental information" on the 1099. Not including the US Government Obligation percentage for the Federal Money Market is probably an oversight.

With the increase in short term interest rates during the second half of 2022, those who keep a bit of money in a taxable account settlement fund and pay state income tax, take note. As GKSD indicates the information is available in the linked document.
retiringwhen

Re: VG Federal MM - US Govt obligations not included in 1099

Post by retiringwhen »

Yeah, this was noted in another thread. I think that fact that it is put on the 1099 without a ticker symbol caused an error. As a programmer, I can see the error in the code in my mind :-)

The USGO document is a very good source and one everyone should pull down every year even if they get the info in the 1099. That way you can look at how other funds behaved too for future consideration.