[What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
roamingzebra

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by roamingzebra »

michaeljc70 wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 1:48 pm I am not going to give any spoilers, but as Mr. Robot progressed I thought it was ingenious.
Whoa. I'm really glad I hung on to the end. Season 4 of "Mr. Robot" was amazing. It threw so many curve balls with it's insanely unpredictable plot and gave deep, character-driven drama. I binge-watched the whole season.

I also like that it gave many characters/actors a chance to shine. Some that we hadn't see for awhile were back with stunningly interesting performances. Well done to all.

But one season doesn't a show make. This is how I'd lay it out:

Season 1: meh
Season 2: meh
Season 3: first half: meh; second half: exciting!
Season 4: riveting!

That's not the usual trajectory for a series. A weak few episodes is okay before taking off, but not a few weak seasons (weak in my opinion obviously). I was tempted many times to quit just out of sheer boredom and not finding any of the characters sufficiently likeable. I only hung on because I've seen "Mr. Robot" mentioned in the same rarified air as "The Americans", "Better Call Saul", "Breaking Bad" and so on. Based on the sheer uneveness of the seasons, I would disagree. But if all seasons had been as good as the last one, it would jump in my estimation of it.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

PBS / Nick Kristof, “Tightrope: Americans Reaching for Hope” (free on PBS video)

Jon Beasley-Murray, “My Brilliant Friend: Elena Ferrante on Class, Capital and Language.” (YouTube)
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

Just started Baptiste season 1 (PBS Masterpiece) I had PVR'd for quite some time. Really enjoying it with the dw.
MP173

Post by MP173 »

Bosch - Legacy on Amazon Freevee.

Watched entire Season 1 (1-10) over weekend.

Excellent...possibly better than the original.

Just happen to be reading the new Bosch novel - Desert Star at same time. It was a very entertaining weekend.

ed
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

MP173 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:13 pm Bosch - Legacy on Amazon Freevee.

Watched entire Season 1 (1-10) over weekend.

Excellent...possibly better than the original.
I watched "Bosch Legacy" awhile ago. Was good, though I don't remember much about it...too many distractions at the time. I should probably give it a rewatch at some point, to give it the attention it deserves.
Just happen to be reading the new Bosch novel - Desert Star at same time. It was a very entertaining weekend.
I read "Desert Star" a few weeks ago. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

I've started a series that shows promise: "Astrid et Raphaelle". It might be difficult to find. But here's the IMDb description: "Astrid is autistic and has an incredible memory, so she is very useful in analyzing files. The district commander decides to entrust her with very complex investigations which have remained unsolved to date."

I'm fascinated by the intellectual abilities of certain people along the spectrum and the episodes I've seen show it off to good effect. It's also interesting watching Astrid's survival strategies in a confusing world, and how people respond to her. I've only seen two episodes but Astrid and her commander and the commander's son, are all likeable. The crimes themselves are not much, but they are not the point: Astrid's abilities are. I have no idea how much of the portrayal of autism is correct but I assume there are consultants on the show.
P&C actuary

Post by P&C actuary »

bob60014 wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:03 pm
P&C actuary wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:36 am Enjoy detective shows on Britbox. Amazon puts it on sale twice a year during their Amazon days and Black Friday week.

Finishing Season 7 of Shetland. There is a report of Season 8 with Tosh, but Perez will be replaced.

Finished 6 seasons of In the Line of Duty. There are reports of a season 7.
+1 for these two shows.

I'll add........
MI-5 (titled Spooks in the UK).
New Tricks
Silent Witness
The Bay
A Touch of Frost
George Gently
Just about anything with Lucy Worsley, history related.
I found MI-5 and am midway through the first season. Happy to see familiar actors like Keeley Hawes from Line of Duty, character Tom Quinn that plays Tom on Succession from HBO, Nicola Walker from Unforgotten.

Will check out some of the others you mentioned.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

roamingzebra wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:16 pm
I've started a series that shows promise: "Astrid et Raphaelle". It might be difficult to find. But here's the IMDb description: "Astrid is autistic and has an incredible memory, so she is very useful in analyzing files. The district commander decides to entrust her with very complex investigations which have remained unsolved to date."

I'm fascinated by the intellectual abilities of certain people along the spectrum and the episodes I've seen show it off to good effect. It's also interesting watching Astrid's survival strategies in a confusing world, and how people respond to her. I've only seen two episodes but Astrid and her commander and the commander's son, are all likeable. The crimes themselves are not much, but they are not the point: Astrid's abilities are. I have no idea how much of the portrayal of autism is correct but I assume there are consultants on the show.
I was intrigued, so I Googled it. 9 episodes available on PBS Masterpiece Amazon Channel. Will begin watching shortly. Thanks.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:00 am

I was intrigued, so I Googled it. 9 episodes available on PBS Masterpiece Amazon Channel. Will begin watching shortly. Thanks.
I watched this, but it was titled simply Astrid. I liked it then and it's well worth watching.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:30 pm
TomatoTomahto wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:00 am

I watched this, but it was titled simply Astrid. I liked it then and it's well worth watching.
Glad you like it. :) I've watched five eppies so far and am enjoying it.

One of the differences between this and other autism-related series/films is that it explores the trust issue. Can Astrid learn to trust somebody and in the process grow?

Yeah, the naming is weird. When I tried getting info on the show, I sometimes came up with "Astrid in Paris" as the title. Still not sure if it's the same series.

Why do they make foreign series so hard to follow?!
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Rise of the Nazis (2019-2022) — BBC documentary in three seasons, nine parts.

From IMDb:

Powerful and resonant series that looks at how Hitler and the Nazis seized power in Germany and ushered in the death of democracy.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10911538/? ... _sr_srsg_0

Absolutely riveting. One of the best documentaries I’ve seen about this period of history. I streamed it on PBS Passport.
MNGopher

Post by MNGopher »

Stumbled on to "The Watcher" on Netflix (1 season / 7 or 8 episodes) and wasn't expecting much. It's a who-done-it, suspenseful drama that will leave you guessing at who the stalker, known as The Watcher, really is until the very end.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

MNGopher wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:10 pm Stumbled on to "The Watcher" on Netflix (1 season / 7 or 8 episodes) and wasn't expecting much. It's a who-done-it, suspenseful drama that will leave you guessing at who the stalker, known as The Watcher, really is until the very end.
Spoiler alert:

And beyond the end....
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Mr. Inbetween. It is a crime/comedy series. Australian. 3 seasons. The first season can be watched in 2 hours (6 episodes, around 20 minutes each). "Juggling a relationship, parental responsibilities, friendships and a sick brother while earning a living would be difficult for anyone, but it's particularly difficult for Ray since he's a criminal for hire." I found it entertaining so far. It's pretty highly rated on a few ratings sites.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

I finished season 1 of "The Leftovers". The premise sounded interesting and it was created by the creater of "Lost", but it just wasn't that interesting. Neither were most of the characters. It also seemed a bit too close to reality: you have a big event where millions of people disappear, and communities become divided and full of anger, and a weird cult forms. Season 2 is supposed to be better, but I'll pass.
brad.clarkston

Post by brad.clarkston »

Just finished Tulsa King ... it's better than I'd have thought Stallone could pull off, pretty good casting around him.
It's no Ozark but it's not totally cringe ether.
70% AVGE | 20% FXNAX | 10% T-Bill/Muni
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

brad.clarkston wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:34 pm Just finished Tulsa King ... it's better than I'd have thought Stallone could pull off, pretty good casting around him.
It's no Ozark but it's not totally cringe ether.
+1

I have one episode left. I am not a Stallone fan, but found it to be way better than I thought. Maybe because it was a Taylor Sheridan creation.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Watching season 2 of "The Righteous Gemstones". Hilarious, maybe even better than season 1.
Blues

Post by Blues »

"Tulsa King" was more fun than I thought it would be...but as with most of Sheridan's work, it can't be taken too seriously.

"The Watcher"...neither I nor the missus found the story or acting compelling and took it off our list of shows to watch.

It's harder to separate the wheat from the chaff these days...at least it is for us.

"Mayor of Kingstown" is watchable only because it's like a train wreck you can't stop looking at...but since our Paramount+ subscription will run out before this season is through, neither of us likes it enough to spend money on. (Despite liking Jeremy Renner.)

C'est la vie.
Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi »

Blues wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:33 am"Mayor of Kingstown" is watchable only because it's like a train wreck you can't stop looking at...but since our Paramount+ subscription will run out before this season is through, neither of us likes it enough to spend money on. (Despite liking Jeremy Renner.)
I've been cringing as I watch this due to the constant and mostly gratuitous use of the F-word as well as all the raw violence. Makes Tulsa King, Yellowstone and the rest of Taylor Sheridan's work seem tame by comparison.

Nevertheless it's been fun to watch since I'm familiar with the filming locations. The main one is in Kingston, Ontario on the north shore of Lake Ontario. Kingston is home to several prisons, including the infamous Kingston Penitentiary, the now decommissioned federal maximum security prison that used to house the worst of our worst. Other scenes were filmed in Toronto and Hamilton (home of most of Canada's steel mills.)

P.S. To be clear, when I say "I'm familiar with the filming locations" that doesn't extend to being a guest of "the infamous Kingston Penitentiary" :oops:
Last edited by Bylo Selhi on Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blues

Post by Blues »

Bylo Selhi wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:24 am
Blues wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:33 am"Mayor of Kingstown" is watchable only because it's like a train wreck you can't stop looking at...but since our Paramount+ subscription will run out before this season is through, neither of us likes it enough to spend money on. (Despite liking Jeremy Renner.)
I've been cringing as I watch this due to the constant and mostly gratuitous use of the F-word as well as all the raw violence. Makes Tulsa King, Yellowstone and the rest of Taylor Sheridan's work seem tame by comparison.

Nevertheless it's been fun to watch since I'm familiar with the filming locations. The main one is in Kingston, Ontario on the north shore of Lake Ontario. Kingston is home to several prisons, including the infamous Kingston Penitentiary, the now decommissioned federal maximum security prison that used to house the worst of our worst. Other scenes were filmed in Toronto and Hamilton (home of most of Canada's steel mills.)
Years ago I had the privilege of working with RCMP and QPP up in Montreal on a case of mine. They took me to several venues during the week or ten days my partner and I were up there, but we didn't do a prison tour. :beer

Enjoyed working with those guys a few times over the years on various matters.
sid hartha

Post by sid hartha »

michaeljc70 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:19 pm Mr. Inbetween. It is a crime/comedy series. Australian. 3 seasons. The first season can be watched in 2 hours (6 episodes, around 20 minutes each). "Juggling a relationship, parental responsibilities, friendships and a sick brother while earning a living would be difficult for anyone, but it's particularly difficult for Ray since he's a criminal for hire." I found it entertaining so far. It's pretty highly rated on a few ratings sites.
Mr. Inbetween was one of the most pleasant surprises for me in terms of random shows I found and watched. I really liked it a lot and thought it was very well done. I give it a strong recommendation.
sid hartha

Post by sid hartha »

currently watching ZerZeroZero (2020) on Amazon Prime.

ZeroZeroZero is an Italian crime drama television series created by Stefano Sollima, Leonardo Fasoli and Mauricio Katz for Sky Atlantic, Canal+ and Amazon Prime Video. It is based on the book of the same name by Roberto Saviano, a study of the business around the drug cocaine, covering its movement across continents. The series stars Andrea Riseborough, Dane DeHaan and Gabriel Byrne as the American Lynwood family, controlling an international shipping company which acts as cocaine broker between Mexican and Italian organized crime The series derives its name from the whitest, finest-milled type of wheat flour (000), which is "the nickname among narcotraffickers for the purest cocaine on the market.

Mike Hale of The New York Times characterized the show as a "three shows in one: an Italian mafia saga with rocky Calabrian hillsides and generational omertà; a Mexican narco thriller with lavish cartel violence; and, more improbably, an indie-movie-style American family drama and character study. The series toggles among the three stories, which are intimately connected but for the most part told separately, with occasional meetings that are invariably bad news for the characters involved."

I think it's really well done and excellent. I'm enjoying it.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

sid hartha wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:48 am
michaeljc70 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:19 pm Mr. Inbetween. It is a crime/comedy series. Australian. 3 seasons. The first season can be watched in 2 hours (6 episodes, around 20 minutes each). "Juggling a relationship, parental responsibilities, friendships and a sick brother while earning a living would be difficult for anyone, but it's particularly difficult for Ray since he's a criminal for hire." I found it entertaining so far. It's pretty highly rated on a few ratings sites.
Mr. Inbetween was one of the most pleasant surprises for me in terms of random shows I found and watched. I really liked it a lot and thought it was very well done. I give it a strong recommendation.
I didn't realize until 1/2 way through it that the lead actor is also the creator/writer. It is based off a movie called "The Magician" which has the same character but I haven't seen that.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

We are more than 1/2 way through Season 4 of Fauda. One of our favorite shows. It has lots of action. It follows special forces in Israel/Palestine trying to stop terrorism. It is on Netflix and you can watch it (AFAIK) in Hebrew/Arabic with subtitles or with the Hebrew parts dubbed to English. We prefer all subtitles.

I also really liked Tehran. Glenn Close was great in the 2nd season.
dknightd

Post by dknightd »

I've been watching the mecam auctions. It is fun to see what cars are worth these days.
Retired 2019. So far, so good. I want to wake up every morning. But I want to die in my sleep. Just another conundrum. I think the solution might be afternoon naps ;)
sid hartha

Post by sid hartha »

michaeljc70 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:53 am
sid hartha wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:48 am
I didn't realize until 1/2 way through it that the lead actor is also the creator/writer. It is based off a movie called "The Magician" which has the same character but I haven't seen that.
Me neither. I didn't know about that. Also I think if people liked Mr Inbetween they might like Jett on HBOMax. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jett_(TV_series). I liked it.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

"Love, Death, and Robots" streaming on Netflix - mix of dark and/or dark comedy dystopian/cyberpunk short cartoons. I like it!
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

I'm just starting season 2 of Slow Horses on Apple TV. I've read all the books and enjoy seeing the way the characters are depicted, especially Jackson Lamb (Gary Oldman).

Curiously I had an offer on my Target register receipt for 90 days of Apple TV free. As a non-Apple user it was difficult to implement the offer even though my smart tv already had the app installed.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

I've been cringing as I watch this due to the constant and mostly gratuitous use of the F-word as well as all the raw violence.
Haven't watched "Mayor of Kingstown" (and it sounds pretty skippable), but I'd be surprised if it could out-F-bomb "Succession".

I just watched a teaser for "Succession" Season 4. It was 1.33 minutes long... I'm betting it's the only 1.33 of the season that won't have F-bombs in it. :)

I'm not a big fan of profanity overuse, but then I have to remember that the series is based on (at least loosely) the Murdoch empire, and that pretty much explains everything. Despite disliking the Murdochs and their fictional counterparts, I'll probably watch Season 4 simply because the series is well done.
Blues

Post by Blues »

roamingzebra wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:05 pm
I've been cringing as I watch this due to the constant and mostly gratuitous use of the F-word as well as all the raw violence.
Haven't watched "Mayor of Kingstown" (and it sounds pretty skippable), but I'd be surprised if it could out-F-bomb "Succession".

I just watched a teaser for "Succession" Season 4. It was 1.33 minutes long... I'm betting it's the only 1.33 of the season that won't have F-bombs in it. :)

I'm not a big fan of profanity overuse, but then I have to remember that the series is based on (at least loosely) the Murdoch empire, and that pretty much explains everything. Despite disliking the Murdochs and their fictional counterparts, I'll probably watch Season 4 simply because the series is well done.

I mean...how can a show with a line like "the world's tallest parasite" be anything less than bingeworthy? 8-)

(Yes, they are reprehensible...and hilarious.)
Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi »

roamingzebra wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:05 pmHaven't watched "Mayor of Kingstown" (and it sounds pretty skippable), but I'd be surprised if it could out-F-bomb "Succession".
From what I've seen, er heard, in the first few episodes of MoK I'd put my money on them to win the count. But I agree that Succession is a far better show in all other respects.
bf0123

Post by bf0123 »

Watching Aussie version of Rake. Excellent. The acting is top notch,especially the main. And the writing superior to most legal thrillers. This has a feel of Goliath, another show and lead (Billy Bob) that was a cut above
Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi »

bf0123 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:41 pm Watching Aussie version of Rake. Excellent. The acting is top notch,especially the main. And the writing superior to most legal thrillers. This has a feel of Goliath, another show and lead (Billy Bob) that was a cut above
I always thought of it as a legal version of House. Enjoy the first few seasons. After that when apparently they've run out of good ideas it goes downhill almost as fast as last Saturday's Hahnenkamm.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Blue Bloods.

Enjoyed it.

Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
K72

Post by K72 »

Lately I've been catching episodes of "In the Heat of the Night" with Carroll O'Conner and Howard Rollins Jr. Bubba is my favorite character. Delightful show.

I also watch reruns of "Family Affair" from time to time. I miss the wholesome shows from my childhood.
All we want are the facts...
wabbott

Post by wabbott »

K72 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:38 am I also watch reruns of "Family Affair" from time to time. I miss the wholesome shows from my childhood.
They are all over streaming channels, especially westerns. We watch an Andy Griffith rerun just about every day.
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

Bylo Selhi wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:00 pm
bf0123 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:41 pm Watching Aussie version of Rake. Excellent. The acting is top notch,especially the main. And the writing superior to most legal thrillers. This has a feel of Goliath, another show and lead (Billy Bob) that was a cut above
I always thought of it as a legal version of House. Enjoy the first few seasons. After that when apparently they've run out of good ideas it goes downhill almost as fast as last Saturday's Hahnenkamm.
I enjoyed Rake for the entire series. It gets a little outlandish but I felt the writers kept the plotlines pretty well organized.
Barkingsparrow

Post by Barkingsparrow »

Working through Counterpart on Prime. Starring the wondrous JK Simmons in dual roles in a convoluted and tense espionage drama with sci-fi overtones. Definitely not for the "wholesome" crowd. Really enjoying this series, it got a 100% rating on Rottentomatoes.com.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

I've been watching "Three Pines" and I have a question that I've asked of other shows:

Why do the investigators always go into deserted homes and basements in the dead of night where they have to flail around with flashlights and potentially bump into or trip over scary things, and in any case, not have enough light to search properly for clues?

Just a rhetorical question. I know the answer, but it always seems like a lazy shortcut to creating drama.
Mishigami

Post by Mishigami »

Started watching Astrid via PBS Passport based on the discussion earlier on this page. Very well done; excellent cast. Thanks for pointing this one out!
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

Mishigami wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:33 pm Started watching Astrid via PBS Passport based on the discussion earlier on this page. Very well done; excellent cast. Thanks for pointing this one out!
You're welcome. :)

I consider it a hidden gem.
MP173

Post by MP173 »

roamingzebra:

I really enjoyed Three Pines. So much that I read the first Louise Penney novel - Still Life. Enjoyed that also with another 17 or so to follow.

Last night we watched "Inside Man" on Netflix - four part series (BBC). A death row inmate in U.S. with a PHD in criminology has ability to solve crimes. He works to save a woman who was kidnapped in Great Britain. Very good.

Ed
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Lots of mention here of Longmire.

I watched S1 E1 and found it enjoyable. I like the characters and the plot. Well-acted by all, I thought, I plan to keep watching.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

Lockwood and Co is great.
enad

Post by enad »

The American version of Life on Mars. It only lasted one season, but the writers got wind that the series would not be renewed and were able to wrap the series up nicely.

Daniel Boone (the 2nd season). Lots of young future stars and older stars in their prime. They don't make shows like this anymore. The 2nd season was 30 shows each lasting about 49 minutes.
What Goes Up Must come down -- David Clayton-Thomas (1968), BST
peppers

Post by peppers »

The Rig
Workers on a remote oil rig are suddenly shrouded in a mysterious fog and things turn supernatural.

I found this interesting and kept my attention throughout. Iain Glenn (Game of Thrones) leads the crew.

Viewed on Amazon
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

MP173 wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:23 pm roamingzebra:

I really enjoyed Three Pines. So much that I read the first Louise Penney novel - Still Life. Enjoyed that also with another 17 or so to follow.
Yeah, "Three Pines" is good. It features a kind investigator and presents a window into Native American life and an important issue in their community. Also, having driven through that area of Canada many years ago, I was suprised and gratified to find it looks exactly the same.

My earlier comment about shooting scenes in the dark is a pet peeve of mine that doesn't detract from "Three Pines" overall. It's just one of those things I shout at the TV whenever a show resorts to an oooh...scaaary,,,searching-a-deserted-house-at-1:00-in-the-morning....oooh. Another pet peeve, which thankfully isn't seen very often in shows these days -- and was not in "Three Pines" -- is when a bad guy types incriminating stuff in email without realizing how easy it is for law enforcement to intercept. That kind of ruins the suspense since you know he or she will be caught REAL soon.

If I had to point out the weakest of the storylines in "Three Pines", it would be the family melodrama that was mentioned by another poster earier. That was kind of eye-rolling. But that was followed by another storyline that was the best of the season.

And as a real picky nit, which probably will make me unpopular, but the Inspector's eyebrows were practically a character of their own. Maybe they could have been toned down a bit so as not to be such a distraction. Yeah, yeah, I know I'm alone in this and I rarely comment on an actor's physical appearance, but yeah, just being honest, I was weirdly fascinated by them. *ducking the tomatoes*
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

roamingzebra wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:19 pm My earlier comment about shooting scenes in the dark is a pet peeve of mine ...
Yup! I bet it makes the director's job easer! As well as the set director and a bunch of the other crew.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

bertilak wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:28 pm
roamingzebra wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:19 pm My earlier comment about shooting scenes in the dark is a pet peeve of mine ...
Yup! I bet it makes the director's job easer! As well as the set director and a bunch of the other crew.
Everyone always talks about Stanly Kubrick requiring actors to re-take scenes more than 20 times.

Less talked about is his obsession with lighting, sometimes taking 1/2 day to properly set up the lighting for one 10 second scene before anything else.

These days, it is a few minutes, and if it is wrong, "Fix it in post."
Small Law Survivor

Post by Small Law Survivor »

Fauda on Netflix. Recommend all four seasons.
72 yrs. mostly-retired lawyer. Boglehead since day 1 (and M* Diehard long before that) under various names