🎊Happy 99th Birthday to Taylor Larimore🎉

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Miriam2

Re: 🎊Happy 99th Birthday to Taylor Larimore🎉

Post by Miriam2 »

Taylor receiving the French Medal of Honor for his WWII service.

rennale

Post by rennale »

Happy 99th! Many congratulations indeed!
LK2012

Post by LK2012 »

Happy 99th Birthday, Taylor Larimore!!! May your day be filled with joy, and may you treasure every day of this wonderful life! Many returns!
jimmy futura

Post by jimmy futura »

Happy Birthday Mr. Larimore!

Thank you for your service that contributed to the freedoms and liberty we now enjoy, and for your selfless, consistent and sage advice you offer so many here.

In the face relentless questions of complexity that we all read, you are so often the voice of reason and a strong reminder of the power of sophisticated simplicity.

I know your thoughts and advice keep so many of us on the right track - myself very much included - and I’m thankful for you!

Keep rockin'!
truenorth418

Post by truenorth418 »

Happy Birthday Taylor!! 🎂🎂🎂
Count de Monet

Post by Count de Monet »

Happy Birthday Mr. Larimore!!
Roth Conversion Disorder.
A-Dog

Post by A-Dog »

Happy Birthday Taylor!

Your impact grows and grows. Just this weekend I loaned my copy of Bogleheads Guide to Investing to my best buddy. It was gifted to me around 2008 by a fellow co-author of yours. He was kind of enough to have you and the other co-authors sign it. As I handed it over to my buddy, I thumbed through the first few pages and saw your signature. I told my buddy, "If Taylor said it, you can take it to the bank!. It helped me as I got started off, and now it can help set you in the right direction." Happy Birthday, Godspeed, and Fair winds!
vectorizer

Post by vectorizer »

Happy birthday Taylor! Thank you for all you've done for me and countless others.
SevenBridgesRoad

Post by SevenBridgesRoad »

Happy Birthday my friend!

Your amazing forum made it possible for me and my wife to have complete confidence in our retirement finances.

Your courageous service made it possible for me and my wife to have the freedom to enjoy our retirement.

Well done Mr. Larimore.
wornout

Post by wornout »

Happy birthday, Taylor!
Wow! and God bless!
csm

Post by csm »

Happy Birthday, Taylor. :sharebeer
homebuyer6426

Post by homebuyer6426 »

Happy birthday Taylor and thanks for your contributions.
45% Total Stock Market | 52% Consumer Staples | 3% Short Term Reserves
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Happy Birthday Sir! All the best for the next year!
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Fireishere

Post by Fireishere »

Happy Birthday and greetings from Finland!
DS03

Post by DS03 »

Happy Birthday!!
Sharlenedee701

Post by Sharlenedee701 »

Happy birthday, Taylor! Meeting you is on my bucket list and thank you for all you do for people like me!!
Harry Livermore

Post by Harry Livermore »

Happy birthday sir! And thank you for your service and sacrifice. My generation's easy life was "paid forward" by your generation. Perhaps my generation's test still lies ahead. If so, I hope I rise to the challenge.
And thank you for Bogleheads. The best personal finance resource on the internet, bar none.
Cheers
Jon Luskin

Post by Jon Luskin »

Happy birthday, Taylor! Thank you for everything.

:happy
When there are multiple solutions to a problem, choose the simplest one. ~Jack Bogle
cavuotoj

Post by cavuotoj »

Happy Birthday Taylor
:beer
ejvyas

Post by ejvyas »

Happy birthday 🎂 Taylor.

Thanks for helping me on my financial journey
Silence Dogood

Post by Silence Dogood »

Happy 99th birthday, Taylor!
dotstar

Post by dotstar »

Happy Birthday Taylor and thank you.
mikejuss

Post by mikejuss »

All best, and thank you for your financial wisdom, Mr. Larimore!
50% VTSAX | 25% VTIAX | 25% VBTLX (retirement), 25% VTEAX (taxable)
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

Happy 99th birthday to the King of Bogleheads!
LearnMarket

Post by LearnMarket »

Happy birthday Taylor! Thanks for your continued contributions!
CardamomChai

Post by CardamomChai »

Happy Birthday Wishes Mr Larimore
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

Happy Birthday Taylor! The voice of reason and calm during many a market storm. A friend to anyone and everyone who posts on this forum and elsewhere. Have a great year ahead!
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
ClaycordJCA

Post by ClaycordJCA »

Happy Birthday, Taylor! And thank you for showing me the way to the Three Fund Portfolio.
AK1236

Post by AK1236 »

Happy birthday Taylor, many thanks for all you've done, and what you are doing to help us along 🍻
no longer in the weeds and thorns
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

Happy B-day Taylor. Sorry I missed the party!
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
Ralph Furley

Post by Ralph Furley »

Happy Birthday, Taylor!!! Thank you for all you do, and for all you have done for us.
breakaway

Post by breakaway »

Happy 99th Taylor! :sharebeer
Jcraz13

Post by Jcraz13 »

Happy Birthday! Congrats 🎉
Jcraz13

Post by Jcraz13 »

Happy Birthday! Congrats 🎉
blimp

Post by blimp »

Happy Birthday Taylor!

Every birthday is a reminder of how badly you screwed the insurance company with that SPIA :mrgreen:

-Blimp
Rowan Oak

Post by Rowan Oak »

You mean more than you'll ever know to my family. Thank you for the guidance and inspiration. Happy birthday!
“If you can get good at destroying your own wrong ideas, that is a great gift.” – Charlie Munger
Anon9001

Post by Anon9001 »

Happy Birthday Taylor. Hope to live as long as you. :beer
Land/Real Estate:89.4% (Land/RE is Inheritance which will be recieved in 10-20 years) Equities:7.6% Fixed Income:1.7% Gold:0.8% Cryptocurrency:0.5%
mslaw

Post by mslaw »

Happy Birthday Mr. Larimore and thank you for the years of help and for your large contribution to so many.
YeahBuddy

Post by YeahBuddy »

Happy belated Taylor!
Light weight baby!
markjk

Post by markjk »

Kathleen Ryan wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:01 am "The Battle of the Bulge," was a German offensive to try to split the Allied troops in half and try to capture, Antwerp, a key port city in Belgium, during World War II.

Taylor and his division were deployed to the town of Bastogne, to defend it, because it was an important road junction, and Bastogne's capture would have allowed the Germans to move further into Belgium.

Taylor's, 101st Airborne Division, along with other units, were surrounded by the Germans and cutoff from supplies. Even though Taylor's group, and the other Allied units were outmanned, and outgunned, they, "Held the Line," and Bastogne, was NOT captured by the Germans.

The 101st Airborne Division, also engaged in a counter-offensive, to push the Germans back, by disrupting the Germans communications, and slow them from advancing, by attacking strategic targets, which gave the Allied troop time to bring in reinforcements. The 101st Airborne Division, attacked roads and rail bridges, German command centers, fuel and ammunition centers, and power plants.

The 101st Airborne Division lost many men, but mercifully, Taylor was spared. No one knows how long we have on the Earth, but it seems so clear to me, that Taylor has always been here to help the people who have the honor of knowing him, from his earliest years, to the present. This is what a life of service looks like.
Thank you Taylor for all you've done and Happy Birthday!
Dad

Post by Dad »

Happy Birthday! Thank you for your contribution of knowledge to multiple generations of savers.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Update: See my post below which shows the images in a forum post.
----------------------------

The birthday bash was held via Zoom on Thursday, January 26, 2023. The meeting was not recorded. Here's what was presented:

- At the 2022 Bogleheads Conference, Andrew Bogle welcomed Taylor into the Bogleheads Hall of Fame. The video has been uploaded to the Bogleheads Chicago chapter's YouTube channel: Taylor welcomed to Bogleheads Hall Of Fame (This is not the Bogle Center's YouTube channel.)

- Taylor's Bogleheads Hall of Fame certificate

- Taylor's certificate from Andrew Bogle

--------------
- Mel Lindauer's birthday wishes to Taylor. Mel to Taylor.mp3. Mel could not attend the celebration. His wishes are recorded on audio only.

- A video of Taylor's life: Taylor's life video

-------------
Taylor's birthday cake: Taylor's birthday cake

Taylor's birthday present - Instead of a 3-fund pie chart, we presented Taylor with the "official" Bogleheads 3-fund portfolio pie. The pie is equally weighted. Bogleheads 3-fund portfolio pie

======================================
Everything but the YouTube video were uploaded to the Bogle Center's SharePoint site. Sorry, but the forum software and SharePoint don't mix and won't allow the images to be shown in a forum post. (See my post below.)

Please click on the above links to view the images directly in your web browser. You'll be able to download the images from there.

You can only view the uploads by using the original links in this post - not what your browser displays (that's how SharePoint works). Copy these links to share the content:

Taylor's certificate from Andrew Bogle:

Code: Select all

https://boglecenter.sharepoint.com/:i:/s/Bogleheads/EbFrNno5rE9EjDVq9zYK_YoBr4uJIhlOoMdvyXoBlHZ3AQ?e=r6QXd2
Taylor's Bogleheads Hall of Fame certificate:

https://boglecenter.sharepoint.com/:i:/s/Bogleheads/EfR63QiQnTNJkvsNvdzk-NMB-QKyPOZBTIie-njqqw473A?e=DibY8D
Mel Lindauer's birthday wishes to Taylor (mp3 audio file):

https://boglecenter.sharepoint.com/:u:/s/Bogleheads/EUX1FW0SMXdHm-IxucARMBgBgjvEgesQw8yETCkiemKtSw?e=Eyn2Wo
Taylor's life video:

https://boglecenter.sharepoint.com/:v:/s/Bogleheads/ER4h1OofWMpPvjqkUnBMubkB_kaL0ews3anfzMBKDKt_OQ?e=iMNvco
Taylor's birthday cake:

https://boglecenter.sharepoint.com/:i:/s/Bogleheads/EY4DpsV8LddGmSt9WrLOwjkBVnreLDMlt-YNZEro_DO6Lg?e=teLuSf
The "official" Bogleheads 3-fund portfolio pie:

https://boglecenter.sharepoint.com/:i:/s/Bogleheads/EXhoK7Jyz_RHoqNL1zUuS6gBLmuco0oOFi8mmd_OwGnelQ?e=E7mgli
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

It is good to see Taylor get all of this well deserved recognition. One just never knows the influence that one has with others and I suspect Taylor's influence is more than what he knows. Good to see the video of Andrew Bogle, Jack's son, recognizing Taylor at a Boglehead's conference. Good to see the video showing highlights of Taylor's life. Good to see all of the gratitude expressed on this thread. Taylor now is the first member of the Boglehead's Hall of Fame.

(Trumpet fanfare)
Nedsaid by what ever little powers that have been vested in me declares the 3 Fund Portfolio of Total US Stock Market Index, Total International Stock Index, and Total Bond Market Index to be named the Taylor Larimore 3 Fund Portfolio. It isn't like naming a building or a bridge after him or having the US President presenting him the nation's highest honor but this will have to do.

So congratulations Taylor and best wishes for a 100th BIrthday this time next year.
A fool and his money are good for business.
Topic Author
Kathleen Ryan

Post by Kathleen Ryan »

Dear Taylor,

It was another wonderful highlight of my life, seeing you and having a chance to speak with you again, via your
Zoom 99th Birthday Party last night.

I want to share a link from our Facebook Bogleheads site, of the same birthday wish I posted there
for you.

https://www.facebook.com/Bogleheads

You received 34 birthday wishes there, in addition to the over 100 birthday wishes here, and
8,549 post engagements.

I'm not one for statistics, but I feel it's important to share this with you, because we are reaching many
young people also, which adds to your legacy and that of Mr. Bogle, spreading the Bogleheads investing
philosophy to upcoming generations. This is a wonderful feeling to witness the, "Torch being passed," hopefully
in perpetuity.

With love and admiration,
Kathleen
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

LadyGeek wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:54 am The birthday bash was held via Zoom on Thursday, January 26, 2023. The meeting was not recorded. Here's what was presented:

- At the 2022 Bogleheads Conference, Andrew Bogle welcomed Taylor into the Bogleheads Hall of Fame. The video has been uploaded to the Bogleheads Chicago chapter's YouTube channel: Taylor welcomed to Bogleheads Hall Of Fame (This is not the Bogle Center's YouTube channel.)

- Taylor's Bogleheads Hall of Fame certificate

- Taylor's certificate from Andrew Bogle

--------------
- Mel Lindauer's birthday wishes to Taylor. Mel to Taylor.mp3. Mel could not attend the celebration. His wishes are recorded on audio only.

- A video of Taylor's life: Taylor's life video

-------------
Taylor's birthday cake: Taylor's birthday cake

Taylor's birthday present - Instead of a 3-fund pie chart, we presented Taylor with the "official" Bogleheads 3-fund portfolio pie. The pie is equally weighted. Bogleheads 3-fund portfolio pie

======================================
Everything but the YouTube video were uploaded to the Bogle Center's SharePoint site. Sorry, but the forum software and SharePoint don't mix and won't allow the images to be shown in a forum post.

Please click on the above links to view the images directly in your web browser. You'll be able to download the images from there.

You can only view the uploads by using the original links in this post - not what your browser displays (that's how SharePoint works). Copy these links to share the content:

https://boglecenter.sharepoint.com/:i:/s/Bogleheads/EbFrNno5rE9EjDVq9zYK_YoBr4uJIhlOoMdvyXoBlHZ3AQ?e=r6QXd2

https://boglecenter.sharepoint.com/:i:/s/Bogleheads/EfR63QiQnTNJkvsNvdzk-NMB-QKyPOZBTIie-njqqw473A?e=DibY8D
Mel Lindauer's birthday wishes to Taylor (mp3 audio file):

https://boglecenter.sharepoint.com/:u:/s/Bogleheads/EUX1FW0SMXdHm-IxucARMBgBgjvEgesQw8yETCkiemKtSw?e=Eyn2Wo
Taylor's life video:

https://boglecenter.sharepoint.com/:v:/s/Bogleheads/ER4h1OofWMpPvjqkUnBMubkB_kaL0ews3anfzMBKDKt_OQ?e=iMNvco
Taylor's birthday cake:

https://boglecenter.sharepoint.com/:i:/s/Bogleheads/EY4DpsV8LddGmSt9WrLOwjkBVnreLDMlt-YNZEro_DO6Lg?e=teLuSf

https://boglecenter.sharepoint.com/:i:/s/Bogleheads/EXhoK7Jyz_RHoqNL1zUuS6gBLmuco0oOFi8mmd_OwGnelQ?e=E7mgli

Huge thanks LadyGeek for posting these from the Birthday celebration for Taylor's 99th Birthday! It's nice to share these good times with the entire Bogleheads community that Taylor enjoys and appreciates so much.

And thanks for being the Bogleheads Baker, baking the special 99th Birthday Cake and cooking the Three Fund Portfolio Pie 8-)
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I uploaded the images to Google Drive and scaled them to fit in a forum post. Click on the links to view the image full size. You can download it from there. If you want to share the images without downloading, share the links shown in the previous post (the "Code" sections).

Taylor's birthday cake:

Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Bollate

Post by Bollate »

Late to the party,....belatedly wishing Taylor Larimore happy birthday, and offer my thanks to him for what he has done and continues to do!!!
Cheers
UnladenSwallow

Post by UnladenSwallow »

Happy 99th Birthday, Mr. Larimore. Thank you for being a great example and inspiration to us young Bogleheads!