Forum software upgrade bug reports and change requests

Discussions about the forum and contents
Da5id

Re: Forum software upgrade bug reports and change requests

Post by Da5id »

I can't currently get to bogleheads.org from my PC. I'm getting a DNS failure for that domain specifically but all other sites work. Posting from my phone which also works. I was assuming that this was some local issue, though flushing my DNS cache didn't help.

However various web based tools, like DNS.google and isitdownrightnow.com suggest there may be a broader issue. The Google DNS tool gives a server failure error. But reverse lookup by IP address did work for 23.254.167.168 did work on the Google tool, huh

Still maybe just me somehow, thought I'd mention it.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Everything is fine here. If you were getting a DNS domain problem, nothing would work. Try a different PC browser, clearing browser cache, etc. If you have further problems, start a thread in the personal consumer issues forum and we'll figure it out.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
frisco

Post by frisco »

Feature request: As an occasional visitor here, I’m interested in receiving periodic (e.g. weekly, monthly) email digests of popular topics posted since my last visit.

My search for a relevant phpBB extension led me to “Digests”: phpBB.com; GitHub.com. It appears to be actively-maintained and compatible with the version of phpBB used by this site.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Thanks for the suggestion. The screenshots show that the extension will require some effort to manage server loading, along with coordination with the mail server. The last paragraph in the description suggests it will be problematic for us.
Please note that each digest is unique, and may have different posts in it compared to another digest going out at the same hour. It may not be an appropriate digest solution for very large boards, very busy boards or for those who want to send bulk emails of all posts for a given time period, as it is designed for flexibility, not efficiency.
I'm also not so sure a digest would be helpful to more than a few members.

Sorry, but I don't think the extension is appropriate for this forum.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
frisco

Post by frisco »

LadyGeek wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:51 pm Thanks for the suggestion. The screenshots show that the extension will require some effort to manage server loading, along with coordination with the mail server. The last paragraph in the description suggests it will be problematic for us.…

I'm also not so sure a digest would be helpful to more than a few members.

Sorry, but I don't think the extension is appropriate for this forum.
That makes sense! Thank you for taking the time to look into it and follow-up, LadyGeek!
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

I cannot log in (chrome, Android) with the remember me button checked. Errors, and only works if I uncheck remember me (but then I have to log in each visit again)
starboi

Post by starboi »

Request: Dark mode
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

starboi wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 2:05 am Request: Dark mode
Nice idea, but it's not implemented correctly. The best approach is to let your browser take care of it. From an earlier post:
LadyGeek wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:59 pm ^^^ Thanks for the help! The Dark Reader extension displays the post editor's Font color palette correctly (Post a reply --> "Ink drop" icon in the editing toolbar). A few extensions I've tried don't display the palette correctly. I also see a dark mode for the forum software, but it's crude and messes up the logo and post editor's Font color palette.

For Firefox: Dark Reader - Firefox

For Chrome: Dark Reader - Chrome Web Store
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

nalor511 wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 1:06 am I cannot log in (chrome, Android) with the remember me button checked. Errors, and only works if I uncheck remember me (but then I have to log in each visit again)
Try clearing your browser cache. Also try using private browsing mode or a different browser, e.g. Firefox, Android. If that doesn't work, start a thread in the consumer issues forum and ask for help.
KarenC

Post by KarenC »

LadyGeek wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 6:49 am
starboi wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 2:05 am Request: Dark mode
Nice idea, but it's not implemented correctly. The best approach is to let your browser take care of it. From an earlier post:
LadyGeek wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:59 pm ^^^ Thanks for the help! The Dark Reader extension displays the post editor's Font color palette correctly (Post a reply --> "Ink drop" icon in the editing toolbar). A few extensions I've tried don't display the palette correctly. I also see a dark mode for the forum software, but it's crude and messes up the logo and post editor's Font color palette.

For Firefox: Dark Reader - Firefox

For Chrome: Dark Reader - Chrome Web Store
Also, for Safari: Noir - Dark Mode for Safari
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool." — Richard P. Feynman
JayB

Post by JayB »

Feature request: A way to mark selected threads to be hidden from view (until manually unhidden) when perusing BH (e.g., starting with New Posts). Thanks.
spammagnet

Post by spammagnet »

The jump-to drop-down menu lacks the Community sections when viewed through Edge on my phone. They are present in Edge on my desktop computer.
spammagnet

Post by spammagnet »

spammagnet wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:48 pm The jump-to drop-down menu lacks the Community sections when viewed through Edge on my phone. They are present in Edge on my desktop computer.
Hmm... This seems inconsistent. Perhaps the touch screen on my phone is inconsistantly responding to my attempts to scroll?
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The forum software has been upgraded to phpBB 3.3.9, all OK.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

LadyGeek wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:31 pm The forum software has been upgraded to phpBB 3.3.9, all OK.
Anything we should know about this new version?
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Good question. I should have explained that this is a routine maintenance release that does not impact our members.

For the software crowd, here's the Changelog. (Intended for software professionals, no explanations will be provided)
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

LadyGeek wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:09 pm Good question. I should have explained that this is a routine maintenance release that does not impact our members.

For the software crowd, here's the Changelog. (Intended for software professionals, no explanations will be provided)
Thanks for what you and all the admins do to keep this site running so smoothly.
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

You're welcome. I should explain that all site upgrades are done together with mingstar - site owner and server admin.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

Stinky wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:11 pm
LadyGeek wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:09 pm Good question. I should have explained that this is a routine maintenance release that does not impact our members.

Thanks for what you and all the admins do to keep this site running so smoothly.
Absolutely. Thank you so much!
surfinagin

2 features that I liike on another forum

Post by surfinagin »

[Thread merged into here --admin LadyGeek]

Hovering the cursor over a thread title opens a pop-up with the OP's opening line, allowing me to determine if I want to open a tab to read the thread.

Subscribing to a thread provides 3 options by email: instant, daily or weekly.

Has Bogleheads considered these forum upgrades?
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged your thread into the ongoing discussion. We only use features that have been vetted by the phpBB developers.

I see one possibility for the cursor preview, but none for modifying the thread subscriptions.

Upgrades must be (1) useful to a large number of members and (2) approved by the site owners.
surfinagin

Post by surfinagin »

LadyGeek, thanks for your response.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Not related to the forum software, but I posted a site maintenance notice for the wiki today (December 26, 2022).

The wiki software has been successfully upgraded to version 1.39.1. The gory details are posted in the private wiki editor's forum.
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

LadyGeek,

I saw your posted notice at the top of every page---checked every forum area to confirm---telling of the impending wiki update. That heads up was most helpful. Thanks.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

dratkinson wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 5:18 pm LadyGeek,

I saw your posted notice at the top of every page---checked every forum area to confirm---telling of the impending wiki update. That heads up was most helpful. Thanks.
I agree.

That “top of every page” method of notifying Forum users of coming upgrades, downtimes, is quite effective.

And truly appreciated.
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Stinky wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 5:34 pm
dratkinson wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 5:18 pm LadyGeek,

I agree.

That “top of every page” method of notifying Forum users of coming upgrades, downtimes, is quite effective.

And truly appreciated.

Yes, agree... that worked very well.
Thank you!

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Thanks! I also posted that notice at the top of the wiki page. I'm guessing it's more easily seen in the forum. I'll post in both the forum and wiki whenever we need to do an upgrade.
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

LadyGeek wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 6:28 pm Thanks! I also posted that notice at the top of the wiki page. I'm guessing it's more easily seen in the forum. I'll post in both the forum and wiki whenever we need to do an upgrade.
Idea. Don't know how much work you had to do to post the notices, but ...would it be possible to create some type of note field, at the top of each of the pages---that is normally invisible when blank, but visible when populated---and populate it from a single source when needed? That way, in future when needed, you post a notice once and it's echoed on every page.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Good idea, but it's already covered. The maintenance notice is built-into the forum software I use as a site administrator. (It's a phpBB software extension I installed for this purpose.)
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

Having observed yet another zombie thread be resurrected (this particular one from 2012), I wonder if the admins have considered adding one of the auto-lock extensions that automatically locks posts after x days of no activity. The value for x could be very generous, to allow the OP to follow-up at a later date if desired.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Nice idea, but the bottom line is that we don't know where to set X.

- We've had members update their situation years after they've posted.
- The discussion might still be relevant - even after X days. It's not helpful to start a new discussion as the new information will be a repeat of the old information.

The best approach is to report the post and ask the mods to consider locking the thread - and explain why.
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

Mudpuppy wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 3:49 pm Having observed yet another zombie thread be resurrected (this particular one from 2012), I wonder if the admins have considered adding one of the auto-lock extensions that automatically locks posts after x days of no activity. The value for x could be very generous, to allow the OP to follow-up at a later date if desired.
Sometimes, an OP will return several years later, update his topic to tell of his success in following the forum's advice, and thank those who helped him. Those updates are always appreciated and his helpers (if still following the topic) will receive the "New reply received" update and their "Thanks."

I really like those "warm fuzzies"; would hate to miss them because a topic was locked.
Peculiar_Investor
Site Admin

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

Keen eyed observes might have noticed some topics loading quite slowly earlier today, and seeing the dreaded spinning wheel.

I can confirm the underlying issue was identified and has now been resolved.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

To explain - There was an issue displaying emojis by the forum software - it was not a server problem. The developers jumped on it immediately and released a fix. After testing, the fix was incorporated ASAP.
JD101

Post by JD101 »

I suggest adding a feature where you highlight a portion of the post you want to quote and then hit quote and only those sentences will get copied in a new reply with the poster name. This way the entire post doesn't get copied in a reply and then you have to edit the post, go through it, remove unwanted text. This is very handy feature and I believe the forum like this allows this feature, just may have to enable or configure it. Let's know if you do implement it, otherwise we may not know. Thanks
JD
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

JD101 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:07 pm I suggest adding a feature where you highlight a portion of the post you want to quote and then hit quote and only those sentences will get copied in a new reply with the poster name.
Like this ^^?

The way to do it is FIRST to open a "post reply" window.
And then highlight a section of an earlier quote, and then click the "quote" mark in the upper right hand corner of *that* post.

Is that what you meant?
(And sorry if I misunderstood what you were suggesting.)

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

As ResearchMed has stated, you can already do that when replying to a topic. "Post reply" - The previous posts are listed under the edit area.

- Scroll down and select the text you want.
- Click on the in that post.

The highlighted portion will appear in your post edit area and you can proceed from there.

However, I believe you want to highlight the text and reply without editing. We only implement requests when the phpBB software developers have released an extension ("add-on") for the feature. We don't modify the software on our own.

Additionally - (1) the feature must be useful for a large number of members and (2) must be approved by the site owner.

I do see one possibility (Modern quote), but support discussions are saying that the latest version is incompatible with the software version we're using now.
JD101

Post by JD101 »

JD101 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:07 pm The way to do it is FIRST to open a "post reply" window.
And then highlight a section of an earlier quote, and then click the "quote" mark in the upper right hand corner of *that* post.
Yes this works that way.
JD
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The forum software has been updated to phpBB 3.3.11 (we skipped version 3.3.10). This update fixes the Safari bug described in Probably a macOS Safari 16.4 bug: empty blue space in posting window - Bogleheads.org..
Peculiar_Investor
Site Admin

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

LadyGeek wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:32 pm The forum software has been updated to phpBB 3.3.11 (we skipped version 3.3.10). This update fixes the Safari bug described in Probably a macOS Safari 16.4 bug: empty blue space in posting window - Bogleheads.org..
Posted from an iPad to confirm the issue has indeed been fixed. But I knew that in advance 😆
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
tuningfork

Post by tuningfork »

LadyGeek wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:32 pm The forum software has been updated to phpBB 3.3.11 (we skipped version 3.3.10). This update fixes the Safari bug described in Probably a macOS Safari 16.4 bug: empty blue space in posting window - Bogleheads.org..
This evening I am no longer seeing the red text identifying replies from the original poster. Was this feature removed, or perhaps a forgotten step to activate it after the update?
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Peculiar_Investor wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:53 pm
Posted from an iPad to confirm the issue has indeed been fixed. But I knew that in advance 😆
Thanks! I don't have MacOS. Here's how I knew it would work: Re: ⚠️ Maintenance alert (Peculiar_Investor is the site administrator of our sister Canadian forum.) :wink:
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

tuningfork wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:00 pm This evening I am no longer seeing the red text identifying replies from the original poster. Was this feature removed, or perhaps a forgotten step to activate it after the update?
I’m seeing the red text on an iPhone.
Lastrun

Post by Lastrun »

tuningfork wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:00 pm This evening I am no longer seeing the red text identifying replies from the original poster. Was this feature removed, or perhaps a forgotten step to activate it after the update?
I agree and am not seeing it. I am on MacOS and Chrome.
sport

OP Not Identified in Threads

Post by sport »

[Thread merged into here --admin LadyGeek]

I note that the new upgrade does not identify the OP when they respond in their own threads.
Chip Munk

Post by Chip Munk »

Lastrun wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:13 pm
I agree and am not seeing it. I am on MacOS and Chrome.
Same here, on Windows 11 and Firefox.
Geologist

Re: OP Not Identified in Threads

Post by Geologist »

Already being discussed here: viewtopic.php?t=165036&start=650
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Thanks to both! No, the red text containing "Topic Author" was missing on my end. In spite of testing the update and looking at this for a while, I simply didn't notice it. Sorry about that, it's fixed.
Lastrun

Post by Lastrun »

It's back up for me. I am using Abuss368's 2 fund portfolio thread as a test since he posts in that frequently. It is working in there