AmEx Banking - High Yield Savings Acct.

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
JaneNC

AmEx Banking - High Yield Savings Acct.

Post by JaneNC »

Seeking reassurance or alternate suggestions for a funds transfer I'm about to make.

About five weeks ago, we closed a real estate sale. I deposited the money in our credit union money market until we figure out what to do with it. The interest rate there is .55%.

I'm planning to move it to the American Express high yield savings account today or ASAP, where the current rate is 3%, to increase our yield for the short term. For those who have used this, is it safe, secure, and a reasonable choice? I've read some older posts about HYS accounts, but if you have recent experiences or thoughts, I'm all ears.

We need to decide what move to make after that. As Bogleheads, we don't have a financial advisor, but maybe we need one! After Christmas, I plan to post an updated snapshot of our portfolio and ask for more input. What we (think we) want is the lowest risk, highest yield, and easiest access vehicle we can find. :wink:

Many thanks for any thoughts or advice you have to share about a temporary move to AmEx banking. We already have Amex credit cards.
jebmke

Re: AmEx Banking - High Yield Savings Acct.

Post by jebmke »

I have had an account with AMEX for years. I mostly use it now for automating transfers to pay my estimated taxes but I have no concerns. The functionality of the account is pretty basic but it does what I need.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
Svensk Anga

Post by Svensk Anga »

I have used the AmEx HYSA since money market fund yields tanked following the 2008/2009 financial crisis. I have had no issues at all. I've moved plenty of money in and out, but never in real-estate sale sized chunks.

You still want to be mindful of FDIC limits.

You would get better yields with good safety in a Treasury-only money market fund. If you already have a taxable account broker, see what they offer. You might also consider buying T-bills if you can define a time frame for the desired maturity.
Wyatt007

Post by Wyatt007 »

I've used AmEx HYSA for many years with no issues.
Topic Author
JaneNC

Post by JaneNC »

Thank you for the great advice!

When we file our 2022 taxes and pay the capital gains tax on the real estate sale, we will be just at the coverage limit for a two-owner FDIC-insured account, if my approximate calculations are close.

Years ago when we did have a financial advisor, we had t-bill ladders, but when he retired, we didn't keep them going. We've never had a Treasury-only money market fund; I will investigate that.

Defining the time frame for maturity is the tough part. So much to consider....I'm hoping 2023 will bring some clarity to our plans for the future.

Again, I appreciate your quick and helpful response,
MtnTravel

Post by MtnTravel »

JaneNC wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:02 am
I'm planning to move it to the American Express high yield savings account today or ASAP, where the current rate is 3%, to increase our yield for the short term. For those who have used this, is it safe, secure, and a reasonable choice? I've read some older posts about HYS accounts, but if you have recent experiences or thoughts, I'm all ears.
Completely safe. FDIC insured, backed by amex, 24/7 customer support, etc. I have had an Amex savings account for quite some time and have moved (ACH'ed) 6 figure sums to and from it. No issues whatsoever. Highly recommend them.
Topic Author
JaneNC

Post by JaneNC »

Svensk Anga wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:16 am I have used the AmEx HYSA since money market fund yields tanked following the 2008/2009 financial crisis. I have had no issues at all. I've moved plenty of money in and out, but never in real-estate sale sized chunks.

You would get better yields with good safety in a Treasury-only money market fund. If you already have a taxable account broker, see what they offer. You might also consider buying T-bills if you can define a time frame for the desired maturity.
We should have moved funds to HYSA when you did!
Topic Author
JaneNC

Post by JaneNC »

MtnTravel wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:35 am
JaneNC wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:02 am
Completely safe. FDIC insured, backed by amex, 24/7 customer support, etc. I have had an Amex savings account for quite some time and have moved (ACH'ed) 6 figure sums to and from it. No issues whatsoever. Highly recommend them.
That's great to hear. I'm going to move it to AmEX HYS so at least we'll be earning more interest until we make a more considered decision.
radiowave

Post by radiowave »

Svensk Anga wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:16 am I have used the AmEx HYSA since money market fund yields tanked following the 2008/2009 financial crisis. I have had no issues at all. I've moved plenty of money in and out, but never in real-estate sale sized chunks.

Have used online bank savings/CDs for many years but currently moving cash to treasuries and treasury funds as they have a more competitive yield.
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page
secondopinion

Post by secondopinion »

radiowave wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:32 am

Have used online bank savings/CDs for many years but currently moving cash to treasuries and treasury funds as they have a more competitive yield.
I have noticed that. I have little loyalty with where my money is; if they want my business, they need to have the yield to justify it. My emergency fund is my most active portion of my net worth, and the turnover is a lot.
Passive investing: not about making big bucks but making profits. Active investing: not about beating the market but meeting goals. Speculation: not about timing the market but taking profitable risks.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

I signed up for an Amex HYSA when they offered a 25k membership rewards bonus. I received the bonus, and then a 1099-INT showing $25k in interest. Customer service on the phone was incompetent and only a letter disputing the 1099-INT triggered a new one (showing $250). Other people had the same experience. See this thread.

I have since closed my account and moved my money to a more competent bank.
anoop

Post by anoop »

Why not move the money to a brokerage and buy T-bills? They offer a higher interest that is not subject to state income tax.
Harmanic

Post by Harmanic »

Svensk Anga wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:16 am You still want to be mindful of FDIC limits.
Not likely to be a concern for Amex, but if it keeps you up at night, there are cash sweep accounts at Fidelity that move funds into multiple partner banks to keep balances under FDIC limits. There are some other companies that do the same, I am only familiar with Fidelity. They also move money between banks to get the best rates.

EDIT: I just checked the rates. The cash sweep only pays around 2%, but there is the option of using the Government cash reserves fund (money market) for around 3.5%, but not FDIC insured.
Last edited by Harmanic on Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The question isn't at what age I want to retire, it's at what income. | - George Foreman
anoop

Post by anoop »

TravelGeek wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:00 pm I signed up for an Amex HYSA when they offered a 25k membership rewards bonus. I received the bonus, and then a 1099-INT showing $25k in interest. Customer service on the phone was incompetent and only a letter disputing the 1099-INT triggered a new one (showing $250). Other people had the same experience. See this thread.
Wow.
telemark

Post by telemark »

I've used it for years with no problems. Other banks sometimes offer slightly higher rates, but not by enough for me to bother switching. It's a savings account subject to the Reg D limit of nine withdrawals per month, so don't treat it like a checking account.

The expedited ACH transfer is very nice. I can initiate a transfer in the morning and have the money available at the other bank by the end of the day.
SteveJones

Post by SteveJones »

We opened the account three months ago when they were advertising 1.75% and a $350 bonus after three months if your balance was >$25k. The account is very responsive to Fed interest rate changes and as you said is already at 3.00%. I expect it to go up next week.

Great customer service too.
student

Post by student »

I have an AMEX Savings account for many years, they are good but so are the others such as Marcus and Capital One. So I just go with the one with the highest rate. Currently, all 3%.
cheesepep

Post by cheesepep »

I also have the same account. However, I moved all of my funds to my CapitalOne account maybe 1+ months ago. Why? At the time, Amex was yielding 2.5% and CapitalOne was yielding 3%. It took Amex 2 weeks or so to get to 3%, so they are a bit slower. Both yield 3% at the moment, but once it increases, I guess Amex will be a bit slower to increase their yield.
student

Post by student »

cheesepep wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:05 am I also have the same account. However, I moved all of my funds to my CapitalOne account maybe 1+ months ago. Why? At the time, Amex was yielding 2.5% and CapitalOne was yielding 3%. It took Amex 2 weeks or so to get to 3%, so they are a bit slower. Both yield 3% at the moment, but once it increases, I guess Amex will be a bit slower to increase their yield.
That's my experience too except one time I moved most of the money in AMEX to another bank for yield chasing, then AMEX raised their rate before the other bank that I moved my money to. :oops:
telemark

Post by telemark »

cheesepep wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:05 am I also have the same account. However, I moved all of my funds to my CapitalOne account maybe 1+ months ago. Why? At the time, Amex was yielding 2.5% and CapitalOne was yielding 3%. It took Amex 2 weeks or so to get to 3%, so they are a bit slower. Both yield 3% at the moment, but once it increases, I guess Amex will be a bit slower to increase their yield.
And if I've done the calculation correctly and assuming a balance of $250K (the maximum that FDIC insurance will cover), a difference of half a percent for two weeks works out to about $48, before taxes.
Chardo

Post by Chardo »

student wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:24 am
That's my experience too except one time I moved most of the money in AMEX to another bank for yield chasing, then AMEX raised their rate before the other bank that I moved my money to. :oops:
Since June, Amex has had 17 rate increases. They come fast and furious.
student

Post by student »

Chardo wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:19 am
Now I have moved most of my money to T-bills.
Topic Author
JaneNC

Post by JaneNC »

anoop wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:06 pm Why not move the money to a brokerage and buy T-bills? They offer a higher interest that is not subject to state income tax.
Good idea!
Topic Author
JaneNC

Post by JaneNC »

Thank you to all of you for your thoughtful replies.
secondopinion

Post by secondopinion »

JaneNC wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:18 pm
anoop wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:06 pm Why not move the money to a brokerage and buy T-bills? They offer a higher interest that is not subject to state income tax.
Good idea!
I use a HYSA and treasury bills depending what the yields. Right now, my HYSA is not well-loved.

Unlike the common mantra for stocks, you can beat the cashlike investments market at times; sometimes, you have to accept market yields.
Passive investing: not about making big bucks but making profits. Active investing: not about beating the market but meeting goals. Speculation: not about timing the market but taking profitable risks.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

Chardo wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:19 am
Even worse, they all come with a notification email which begins: Good News! Rates are Going Up ...

grr :annoyed
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

I too have an Amex HYSA; no complaints overall but I’ve been moving some of that money out and into a Vanguard Money Market fund, which is currently offering even higher yields.

As to your longer term decision, you will want to take some time on that. Typically “lowest risk, highest yield” is a pick one, you can’t have both, situation. Lower risk typically equals lower expected return.
Topic Author
JaneNC

Post by JaneNC »

Kenkat wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:56 pm I too have an Amex HYSA; no complaints overall but I’ve been moving some of that money out and into a Vanguard Money Market fund, which is currently offering even higher yields.

As to your longer term decision, you will want to take some time on that. Typically “lowest risk, highest yield” is a pick one, you can’t have both, situation. Lower risk typically equals lower expected return.
Of course you're right! I'll check out the Vanguard money market fund.
AlabamaPaul

Post by AlabamaPaul »

I've been using 30 day CD's currently getting 4+ percent...
Topic Author
JaneNC

Post by JaneNC »

AlabamaPaul wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:34 pm I've been using 30 day CD's currently getting 4+ percent...
Sounds great. I still haven't moved any $$.
K72

Post by K72 »

I've had an American Express High Yield Savings account since 2018 but am now considering closing it due to recent changes in their website (and policy?) that raises security concerns for me. If you log in and click the change password button, it takes you to a Forgot Password page and requires you to enter your SS# to change your password. When I called to confirm the process I was told it was indeed the case, but alternatively I was able to have the pw reset on the phone by the CS rep and was verbally given the temporary password was so I could log in and be prompted for a new password. The only information I had to give to reset the password was my name and account number.
All we want are the facts...
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

K72 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:34 pm I've had an American Express High Yield Savings account since 2018 but am now considering closing it due to recent changes in their website (and policy?) that raises security concerns for me. If you log in and click the change password button, it takes you to a Forgot Password page and requires you to enter your SS# to change your password. When I called to confirm the process I was told it was indeed the case, but alternatively I was able to have the pw reset on the phone by the CS rep and was verbally given the temporary password was so I could log in and be prompted for a new password. The only information I had to give to reset the password was my name and account number.
They may have also captured your phone number to verify your identity but this is still concerning in any case. I would have expected a large number of questions to verify your identity.
FinIndyGal

Post by FinIndyGal »

K72 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:34 pm I've had an American Express High Yield Savings account since 2018 but am now considering closing it due to recent changes in their website (and policy?) that raises security concerns for me. If you log in and click the change password button, it takes you to a Forgot Password page and requires you to enter your SS# to change your password. When I called to confirm the process I was told it was indeed the case, but alternatively I was able to have the pw reset on the phone by the CS rep and was verbally given the temporary password was so I could log in and be prompted for a new password. The only information I had to give to reset the password was my name and account number.
Thanks for confirming that I'm not the only one having issues with AMEX HYSA. I've had my account with them since 2011, but I'm also on the verge of making a change. I had the same problem as you when I went online to change my address about a month ago. In addition to verifying my identity via 2FA (which now they only email or text and won't call like I prefer), I had to put in my SSN! I wish I would have called like you, but I was in a hurry at the time because I was concerned that my tax forms would go to the old address and be delayed, which ended up happening anyway.

I've also had to call AMEX several times since 2/5/24 because their website will no longer let me ACH money from my HYSA to my linked external Wells Fargo account like I've done countless times since 2011. It will only do an internal transfer credit from one of my AMEX HYSA to the second AMEX HYSA. I've talked to two supervisors and the last one (on 2/16/24) supposedly submitted a ticket to their IT. She even de-linked my Wells Fargo account, and I put in the account number, etc., again to re-link it and it still doesn't work. This is very inconvenient because I have to call them to transfer money. I've had to spend a ridiculous amount of time this month trying to get this resolved, but I'm still waiting for their IT to get back with me to hopefully let me know they fixed it.

BTW - I moved my house proceeds from AMEX via an ACH transfer to a Vanguard MMF in early 2023. When I told the one supervisor that I'm considering moving the rest of the money that I have with AMEX to another online bank or my Vanguard MMF because of all of these problems, she said that they can no longer move money via ACH to and from Vanguard as of the beginning of the year. The only way they can move those funds now is to wire to my Vanguard account, which I have to call to have them do.

I never used to have any problems with them and now I have nothing but issues. I'll be curious to know if you end up closing your account.
Last edited by FinIndyGal on Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chardo

Post by Chardo »

Amex customer for 40 years, multiple cards, savings accounts, other business. Never a problem.
JohnG2000

Post by JohnG2000 »

I have a Amex savings account for some time, never had any issues. I tried your use case, if you log in and click change password, it does ask you to enter SS# to change password, however the next screen will prompt 2FA and requires a code that will be either sent to email/phone. May be you want to check your security settings.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

JohnG2000 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:53 pm
I have a Amex savings account for some time, never had any issues. I tried your use case, if you log in and click change password, it does ask you to enter SS# to change password, however the next screen will prompt 2FA and requires a code that will be either sent to email/phone. May be you want to check your security settings.
What happened when you called? What information was required by phone?
JohnG2000

Post by JohnG2000 »

SmileyFace wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:10 pm
JohnG2000 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:53 pm
What happened when you called? What information was required by phone?
I haven't tried that yet, however I don't use my Amex account number at all, I use my local bank check in account for regular transactions.
K72

Post by K72 »

I realized today that I misspoke a bit in my post yesterday. In addition to my name and account number, they did send me a text code in order to reset my password. All this got started back in November when I could no longer do ACH transfers (the menu at the top was blocked by a dark blue banner). When I called in, the CS rep created a "ticket" and told me I'd be contacted in a few days. Never happened. I called again yesterday (almost 3 months later) and was told that the login I've been using since 2018 and making transfers until November belonged to my joint account holder (w/o transfer privilege) and that I didn't have a login. I suspect that during their website change, the login I created when I created the account was somehow assigned to my joint account holder during the upgrade. Figured that making a scene would be of no use, I went along and had to create a new login (new userid, pw, and of course enter my SS#). All of this was while I was on the phone, so I picked a simple password with the intention of changing it once the login was set up and I could see the ACH transfer options again.
All we want are the facts...
FinIndyGal

Post by FinIndyGal »

K72 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:47 pm I realized today that I misspoke a bit in my post yesterday. In addition to my name and account number, they did send me a text code in order to reset my password. All this got started back in November when I could no longer do ACH transfers (the menu at the top was blocked by a dark blue banner). When I called in, the CS rep created a "ticket" and told me I'd be contacted in a few days. Never happened. I called again yesterday (almost 3 months later) and was told that the login I've been using since 2018 and making transfers until November belonged to my joint account holder (w/o transfer privilege) and that I didn't have a login. I suspect that during their website change, the login I created when I created the account was somehow assigned to my joint account holder during the upgrade. Figured that making a scene would be of no use, I went along and had to create a new login (new userid, pw, and of course enter my SS#). All of this was while I was on the phone, so I picked a simple password with the intention of changing it once the login was set up and I could see the ACH transfer options again.
I'm obviously not the only person having the ACH transfer issue, but I don't have a joint account holder, so it will be interesting to see what excuse they give me. I was also forced and already created a new account and user ID and password back on 4/22/23 because I don't have an AMEX card, but I haven't had any problems with ACH transfers until this month. I'm still waiting for them to resolve this problem, but I now don't have much hope that I'll hear from them in the time frame that they gave me (7 to 10 business days) considering you contacted them three months ago.
treecat

Post by treecat »

depositaccounts.com has, for each bank's savings account, the history of its interest rate over time. I don't know how complete or not the data is. I looked at several of them at one point and the Amex HYSA had a longer history than many or most, and its rates are high compared to others -- not always the literally top rate, but reasonably close to it. In my opinion that's nicer than getting a high rate that doesn't last.

Here's some history of their rates compared to VMFXX, through the end of 2022 - pretty good, I think:

The historical data for that one is here: https://www.depositaccounts.com/banks/a ... ml#savings
You have to go to "Savings Account Rates" then click the orange arrow for "View Details":

Topic Author
JaneNC

Post by JaneNC »

Thanks for all the updates! I still haven't opened an AmEx HYSA.