REAL ID now set to be effective May 7, 2025 [Update]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
grok87

Re: REAL ID now set to be effective May 7, 2025 [Update]

Post by grok87 »

TravelGeek wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:06 pm Saw the new extension this morning. Since my regular DL is expiring in less than a year, I decided to check it new appointments had opened up (our DMV opens them on Mondays). Was able to get one that works perfectly for my schedule on Friday (yes, this week). And yes, I have several alternative RealID compliant docs.
thanks
here's a link
https://www.dhs.gov/news/2022/12/05/dhs ... t-deadline
RIP Mr. Bogle.
Tom_T

Post by Tom_T »

grok87 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:45 am
Tom_T wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:04 pm I could have made the license renewal appointment to get REAL ID but I decided not to bother. I have a passport - that is good enough, and more useful.
but a passport is bulky
If I'm flying, I can handle bringing a passport. It's not like I'm carrying Grey's Anatomy.
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

Tom_T wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:55 am
Tom_T wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:04 pm I could have made the license renewal appointment to get REAL ID but I decided not to bother. I have a passport - that is good enough, and more useful.
but a passport is bulky
If I'm flying, I can handle bringing a passport. It's not like I'm carrying Grey's Anatomy.
I agree with the “too bulky” thinking. I don’t want to have to worry about “one more thing”. So I followed the proposed rule, paid the extra fee and got REAL ID to my driver’s license. So far it was wasted money!
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

Despite the effective date for REAL ID being set forward to May 7, 2025, I decided to go ahead an get my REAL ID Driver License. I figure this will increase my options for identification that agencies will accept. So I have an appointment this Friday for my REAL ID. My Passport and Passport Card are in process. You just never know when you might need it.

When getting the paperwork together for a rollover from a pension plan, I found out that they didn't accept my Driver License as proof of date of birth. As a result, I decided it was time to renew the passport and passport card. I have my birth certificate so the rollover paperwork was no problem. While I am at it, I might as well get the REAL ID as well.
A fool and his money are good for business.
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

nedsaid wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:59 pm Despite the effective date for REAL ID being set forward to May 7, 2025, I decided to go ahead an get my REAL ID Driver License. I figure this will increase my options for identification that agencies will accept. So I have an appointment this Friday for my REAL ID. My Passport and Passport Card are in process. You just never know when you might need it.

When getting the paperwork together for a rollover from a pension plan, I found out that they didn't accept my Driver License as proof of date of birth. As a result, I decided it was time to renew the passport and passport card. I have my birth certificate so the rollover paperwork was no problem. While I am at it, I might as well get the REAL ID as well.
Also, despite perhaps paying a fee for a time period that doesn't require REAL ID, at least you will have already jumped through the hoops and once REAL ID is required you can just "renew" whenever you need to renew, with the initial hoop-jumping done.
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

Leesbro63 wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:06 pm
nedsaid wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:59 pm Despite the effective date for REAL ID being set forward to May 7, 2025, I decided to go ahead an get my REAL ID Driver License. I figure this will increase my options for identification that agencies will accept. So I have an appointment this Friday for my REAL ID. My Passport and Passport Card are in process. You just never know when you might need it.

Also, despite perhaps paying a fee for a time period that doesn't require REAL ID, at least you will have already jumped through the hoops and once REAL ID is required you can just "renew" whenever you need to renew, with the initial hoop-jumping done.
The DMV website didn't say anything about hoops when I made my appointment. I guess I had better practice my hoops jumping technique. :wink:

Kidding aside, it will be a relief to get all of this done.
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

nedsaid wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:08 pm

The DMV website didn't say anything about hoops when I made my appointment. I guess I had better practice my hoops jumping technique. :wink:

By definition, dealing with the DMV is jumping through hoops :) :oops: !
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Leesbro63 wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:10 pm
nedsaid wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:08 pm

By definition, dealing with the DMV is jumping through hoops :) :oops: !

This may vary by jurisdiction, but we are able to do all of this at our "friendly neighborhood AAA office".
SO much more pleasant less unpleasant!

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
grok87

Post by grok87 »

Leesbro63 wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:39 am
Tom_T wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:55 am
but a passport is bulky
I agree with the “too bulky” thinking. I don’t want to have to worry about “one more thing”. So I followed the proposed rule, paid the extra fee and got REAL ID to my driver’s license. So far it was wasted money!
me too. and wasted time. it meant like half a day at the dmv. and that was with an appointment.
RIP Mr. Bogle.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

prd1982 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:49 pmJust be sure the document has the entire SSN. Many of them now just contain the last 4 digits.
Yes, I got caught by that when I went to get a Real ID driver's license issued. I brought a 1099 form and didn't notice that it only had the last four digits.

Fortunately, I was required to show one piece of ID from each of three rather different lists, and the clever DMV employee looked over what I had brought and was able to reassign pieces of ID among the lists and find one from each list.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Diluted Waters

Post by Diluted Waters »

[Title was "REAL ID now set to be effective May 3 2023 UPDATE". New date is May 7, 2025. See this post--admin LadyGeek]
Wow. The catalyst for all this was 9/11: 21 years ago. At this rate the universe will go into heat death before RealID is effective. Why bother?
PatrickA5

Post by PatrickA5 »

I just renewed my Real ID after having it 5 years. My latest renewal is for another 8 years. Probably won't even be "required" then. What a joke.
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

And they really mean it this time.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

Random Musings wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:09 pm And they really mean it this time.

RM
I still believe that I am better off with a REAL ID than without one.
rob

Post by rob »

dbr wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:40 pm Documents acceptable to supply SS# include the following and not just an actual SS card.

Social Security card.
W-2 form.
SSA-1099 form.
Non-SSA-1099 form.
Pay stub with your name and Social Security number on it.
Social Security Administration documents establishing that you are ineligible for a Social Security number.

At my DMV they have/had a process to upload scans of the proposed documents and get preapproval of acceptability before going in.
I really want the DMV to have income info... not I think...
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
jayjayc

Post by jayjayc »

PatrickA5 wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:56 pm I just renewed my Real ID after having it 5 years. My latest renewal is for another 8 years. Probably won't even be "required" then. What a joke.
How was the renewal process? Is it basically the same as renewing a regular license or did you have to show documents again?
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

nedsaid wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:13 pm
Random Musings wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:09 pm And they really mean it this time.

RM
For you, it may be beneficial. At this time, I have no need for it and I'm sure that many others don't either. Once the number of people who have it does reach a critical mass, they will probably stop extending the date. Saying that, I wonder what percentage of our population has a REAL ID and if critical mass will ever be reached. Somehow, I don't believe bad actors will ever apply for one, or if so, one that is legitimate.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

^I've read that only 43% of driver's licenses were real IDs as of sometime in 2021. But 37% of Americans have a valid passport. I don't know how much overlap there is between the two groups, but if there's no correlation, then about 64% would have at least one or the other.

Also saw a couple surveys indicating that maybe about 15% have never flown. So that's a group that won't need it, though maybe some have gotten one anyway.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

I found the process easy. They even waived the testing requirements and eye exam due to covid19. I didn't know that testing and eye exams were a public health risk.
dbr

Post by dbr »

whodidntante wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:50 pm I found the process easy. They even waived the testing requirements and eye exam due to covid19. I didn't know that testing and eye exams were a public health risk.
They aren't as such. During a pandemic having people congregate in person for those functions IS a public health risk. Around us a lot of local offices simply closed to prevent people being in contact with people and spreading a pandemic virus. Closed offices mean no exams and no eye tests. Keeping enough staff on the job to do those functions became almost impossible when people were getting sick and did not go to work in crowded offices seeing people all day long.
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

Random Musings wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:58 pm
nedsaid wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:13 pm

RM
For you, it may be beneficial. At this time, I have no need for it and I'm sure that many others don't either. Once the number of people who have it does reach a critical mass, they will probably stop extending the date. Saying that, I wonder what percentage of our population has a REAL ID and if critical mass will ever be reached. Somehow, I don't believe bad actors will ever apply for one, or if so, one that is legitimate.

RM
Hard to say if I will ever really need a REAL ID as I am renewing both my passport and passport card, but what the heck its only 30 bucks. I have an appointment later today.
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

nedsaid wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:26 am Hard to say if I will ever really need a REAL ID as I am renewing both my passport and passport card, but what the heck its only 30 bucks. I have an appointment later today.
Well, to me it's the appointment that is the bigger burden, not the 30 bucks.

Our real ID would cost the same as a normal license renewal, so will do it when that comes up in 5-6 years. Won't be needing one anytime prior to that, since we'll get passports in 2024.

And why bother with a passport card, when you have a passport?
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

jeffyscott wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:52 am
nedsaid wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:26 am Hard to say if I will ever really need a REAL ID as I am renewing both my passport and passport card, but what the heck its only 30 bucks. I have an appointment later today.
Well, to me it's the appointment that is the bigger burden, not the 30 bucks.

Our real ID would cost the same as a normal license renewal, so will do it when that comes up in 5-6 years. Won't be needing one anytime prior to that, since we'll get passports in 2024.

And why bother with a passport card, when you have a passport?
Any additional piece of identification helps. A passport card gets you into Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean by land or by sea. You need the passport to fly internationally. You might choose to drive into Canada with the passport card. I just like the additional bit of flexibility that I get.

I may as well get all of it if the additional costs are low.

Here is what got me thinking about this. I was in a situation where my passport and passport card had expired, I needed proof of Date of Birth and when I wanted to roll over my Cash Balance Pension, they would not accept my driver license. They would accept a REAL ID. Fortunately, I had a certified copy of my birth certificate and that worked.

You just never know what you might need in the future. It just seemed more ID was better than less ID. I don't think of this in terms of the bare minimum of what I absolutely have to have.
PatrickA5

Post by PatrickA5 »

jayjayc wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:00 pm
PatrickA5 wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:56 pm I just renewed my Real ID after having it 5 years. My latest renewal is for another 8 years. Probably won't even be "required" then. What a joke.
How was the renewal process? Is it basically the same as renewing a regular license or did you have to show documents again?
Very simple. Brought my old Real ID in and nothing else. In my state, they give you a paper copy and mail the Real ID a week or so later. So, it's not instant, but close.
McDougal

Post by McDougal »

nedsaid wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:02 pm Here is what got me thinking about this. I was in a situation where my passport and passport card had expired, I needed proof of Date of Birth and when I wanted to roll over my Cash Balance Pension, they would not accept my driver license. They would accept a REAL ID. Fortunately, I had a certified copy of my birth certificate and that worked.
I was under the impression that an expired passport is still valid for identification and date of birth purposes, just not valid for international travel. Can anyone confirm?
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

McDougal wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:04 pm
nedsaid wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:02 pm Here is what got me thinking about this. I was in a situation where my passport and passport card had expired, I needed proof of Date of Birth and when I wanted to roll over my Cash Balance Pension, they would not accept my driver license. They would accept a REAL ID. Fortunately, I had a certified copy of my birth certificate and that worked.
I was under the impression that an expired passport is still valid for identification and date of birth purposes, just not valid for international travel. Can anyone confirm?
Just going from memory, some folks would accept a retired passport and some would not. I consider a Driver License to be a valid proof of Date of Birth but the pension company did not. What I will say is that current ID is a whole lot better than expired ID.
bberris

Post by bberris »

Real ID will be in effect 2.5 years in the future, and always will be.
If you thought airports were pandemonium now, wait until passengers are denied boarding because their photo ID wasn't real enough.
McDougal

Post by McDougal »

nedsaid wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:13 pm
Just going from memory, some folks would accept a retired passport and some would not. I consider a Driver License to be a valid proof of Date of Birth but the pension company did not. What I will say is that current ID is a whole lot better than expired ID.
I agree, some would accept it, some would not. Kind of like trying to use $2 bills at a store and the clerk saying they're not real money! It's not the obscure law/rule/regulation, it's what happens in the real world that actually matters. :beer
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

McDougal wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:18 pm
I agree, some would accept it, some would not. Kind of like trying to use $2 bills at a store and the clerk saying they're not real money! It's not the obscure law/rule/regulation, it's what happens in the real world that actually matters. :beer
Yep.

I realized that about the only thing between me and non-personhood was a Driver License, my Social Security Card, and my Birth Certificate. Weird that a valid Driver License was not considered valid ID for Date of Birth purposes. So later today, I will get my real ID, sometime next month my passport and passport card will arrive, and my "identity crisis" will be over. I will in a sense be more of a real person in that I can better prove that I am me.
Whether I'm right or whether I'm wrong
Whether I find a place in this world or never belong
I gotta be me, I've gotta be me
What else can I be but what I am

I want to live, not merely survive
And I won't give up this dream
Of life that keeps me alive
I gotta be me, I gotta be me
The dream that I see makes me what I am

by Sammy Davis, Jr.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

bberris wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:17 pm Real ID will be in effect 2.5 years in the future, and always will be.
If you thought airports were pandemonium now, wait until passengers are denied boarding because their photo ID wasn't real enough.
Lol, Bogleheads' favorite statement, "This time it's different". Here is the list of "yes this is really the deadline" deadlines, so far:

May 11, 2008
Dec 31, 2009
May 10, 2011
Jan 15, 2013
Jan 20, 2014
Jan 22, 2018
Oct 1, 2020
Oct 1, 2021
May 3, 2023
May 7, 2025

There will be more dates added to the bottom of this list. Expect the next addition to occur in late 2024.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

Just came back from the DMV. Appointment at 2pm. Was there five minutes early and left at 2:05pm. Staff was friendly and efficient. Just needed my passport, my drivers license and a couple of letters with my address on it. Current license would have expired in 2023, new one apparently in 2031.
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

TravelGeek wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:38 pm Just came back from the DMV. Appointment at 2pm. Was there five minutes early and left at 2:05pm. Staff was friendly and efficient. Just needed my passport, my drivers license and a couple of letters with my address on it. Current license would have expired in 2023, new one apparently in 2031.
Me too. Just finished my DMV appointment. Got there early and left early. In my case, it was my old drivers license, my birth certificate, and a voter ID Card. Had payroll stubs and W-2 form just in case. They gave me a temporary paper Drivers License and the REAL ID should be in the mail in about 2 weeks. So my identity is temporary I guess.

Temporary Nedsaid

The REAL Nedsaid will be back in two weeks. :wink:
sandan

Post by sandan »

McDougal wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:18 pm
I was under this impression too, but there are number of government documents that now explicitly state "non-expired" passport. In fact, I haven't found an active government document that allow the use of an expired passport to be used to verify citizenship.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

sandan wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:36 am I was under this impression too, but there are number of government documents that now explicitly state "non-expired" passport. In fact, I haven't found an active government document that allow the use of an expired passport to be used to verify citizenship.
Since we are in the RealID thread, my state explicitly requires the passport to be not expired if you want to use it for the RealID application processs.

A state license can be used as proof of address, and it can be used as long as it isn’t expired for more than one year.
dbr

Post by dbr »

TravelGeek wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:54 pm
sandan wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:36 am I was under this impression too, but there are number of government documents that now explicitly state "non-expired" passport. In fact, I haven't found an active government document that allow the use of an expired passport to be used to verify citizenship.
Since we are in the RealID thread, my state explicitly requires the passport to be not expired if you want to use it for the RealID application processs.

A state license can be used as proof of address, and it can be used as long as it isn’t expired for more than one year.
Ironically, regarding the passport itself:

You can renew your current or expired U.S. passport unless your passport was:

Issued before your 16th birthday
Issued 15 or more years ago
Damaged, lost, or stolen
Issued in your previous name and you do not have a legal document like a marriage license to prove your legal name change
sandan

Post by sandan »

dbr wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:03 pm
TravelGeek wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:54 pm

Ironically, regarding the passport itself:

You can renew your current or expired U.S. passport unless your passport was:

Issued before your 16th birthday
Issued 15 or more years ago
Damaged, lost, or stolen
Issued in your previous name and you do not have a legal document like a marriage license to prove your legal name change
Yes. Its subtle but the US department of state doesn't need to use an (expired) passport to verify citizenship. At least that's the only logic I can come up with as to why forms now require non-expired passports if passports are used.
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

I just received my REAL ID in the mail, it took two weeks to arrive after my DMV appointment. Got an e-mail from Department of State, my passport and passport card renewal was approved and that should be arriving around December 31st. The passport renewal took almost eight weeks. So my ID will soon be all up to date and I will be able to travel internationally if I so choose.
WolfgangPauli

Post by WolfgangPauli »

Mudpuppy wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:07 pm
prd1982 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:49 pm
dbr wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:40 pm Documents acceptable to supply SS# include the following and not just an actual SS card.

Social Security card.
W-2 form.
SSA-1099 form.
Non-SSA-1099 form.
Pay stub with your name and Social Security number on it.
Social Security Administration documents establishing that you are ineligible for a Social Security number.

At my DMV they have/had a process to upload scans of the proposed documents and get preapproval of acceptability before going in.
Just be sure the document has the entire SSN. Many of them now just contain the last 4 digits.
I have some old documents floating around that still have the full SSN, including my college transcripts. Amazing that they used to use the SSN as one's student ID number at many institutions.
I spent 10 years in the Army and was organizing my documents for the VA when I saw that every evaluation I received had my, my rater's, my intermediate rater's and my senior rater's SS number on it. I have the SSN of some now fairly famous generals!
Twitter: @JAXbogleheads | EM: JAXbogleheads@gmail.com
mnnice

Post by mnnice »

jayjayc wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:00 pm
I am not the OP but I have had a Real ID since 2012. I just renewed my license online for eight years. I have also switched states in 2014. Both super easy. The first one wasn’t bad but 80% of the folks in line didn’t have the right paperwork.
mnnice

Post by mnnice »

duplicate
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

To give you an idea on how long passport renewals are taking, I mailed my passport renewal on November 7th, 2022. The passport arrived on December 28th, 2022 and the passport card arrived on December 29th. It took about 7 1/2 weeks. Not bad. So I am a REAL person again with a REAL ID Drivers License, a passport, and a passport card. Nedsaid no longer has an identity crisis. :wink:
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

nedsaid wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 4:22 pm I just received my REAL ID in the mail, it took two weeks to arrive after my DMV appointment.
I think our appointments were on the same day. Mine arrived on Tuesday, so my state was a bit slower. But overall I was very pleased with the process and now have until 2031 before I have to deal with it again.
btq96r

Post by btq96r »

If the current date isn't pushed to the right again (big if), I've successfully not cared enough to the point where my next drivers license renewal will cover me with a few weeks to spare.

Thank you government for being you.
tunafish

Re: REAL ID still set to be effective Oct 1 2021

Post by tunafish »

tibbitts wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:15 pm
KESP wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:43 pm I went through my local AAA office. I was able to make an appointment online, very easy.
I don't know about every state, but AAA offices are not universally able to provide a RealID.
In my state AA does not do so.