Vanguard DAF and QCD contribution

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
htdrag11

Vanguard DAF and QCD contribution

Post by htdrag11 »

I'm age 70 1/2 this year, so I should qualify to make contribution via a QCD, but not old enough for RMD. Several years ago, I established a DAF in Vanguard. Is there a way within Vanguard to fund my DAF from my IRA (also in Vanguard) via QCD vehicle, or they are distinct entities for donations?
TIA.
Alan S.

Re: Vanguard DAF and QCD contribution

Post by Alan S. »

htdrag11 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:10 pm I'm age 70 1/2 this year, so I should qualify to make contribution via a QCD, but not old enough for RMD. Several years ago, I established a DAF in Vanguard. Is there a way within Vanguard to fund my DAF from my IRA (also in Vanguard) via QCD vehicle, or they are distinct entities for donations?
TIA.
No, a DAF is not eligible to receive a QCD. A DAF donation from an IRA would have to be reported as taxable income, and then would be eligible for the charitable deduction if you can otherwise itemize.
sport

Post by sport »

You should also be aware that QCD donations can be made any time after your 70.5 birthdate, but not before that date. So, if you turn 70.5 later in the year, you must wait until that date to make QCD donations.
Topic Author
htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 »

To Alan S,
Too bad, no adulteration.

To sport,
No worry. I have crossed the divide.

Thanks.