REAL ID now set to be effective May 7, 2025 [Update]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
grok87

Re: REAL ID now set to be effective May 3 2023 UPDATE

Post by grok87 »

Iorek wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:18 am An alternative to passport card is global entry (which is also valid as real id and more useful than a passport card for many people).
thanks, i didn't know that.
RIP Mr. Bogle.
yatesd

Post by yatesd »

I had to renew my MD driver’s license back in September, what a hassle. They needed all kinds of weird documentation even though I already had a passport, global entry, and Clear status. Schedule an appointment, leave work early, etc.

Ridiculous, since we are allowed to vote without any ID in our State.

Thanks for the PSA, especially since most people don’t have a passport and the hurdle for getting both is high. (time, money, process)
grok87

Post by grok87 »

yatesd wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:38 am I had to renew my MD driver’s license back in September, what a hassle. They needed all kinds of weird documentation even though I already had a passport, global entry, and Clear status. Schedule an appointment, leave work early, etc.
Thanks for the PSA, especially since most people don’t have a passport and the hurdle for getting both is high. (time, money, process)
The fact that one must make an appointment and go there in person to get a real id is crazy.

i'm thinking about doing the global entry instead- does anyone know how big the global entry cards are? -i.e. can you carry it in your wallet?
cheers,
grok
RIP Mr. Bogle.
dbr

Post by dbr »

grok87 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:54 am
yatesd wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:38 am I had to renew my MD driver’s license back in September, what a hassle. They needed all kinds of weird documentation even though I already had a passport, global entry, and Clear status. Schedule an appointment, leave work early, etc.
The fact that one must make an appointment and go there in person to get a real id is crazy.

i'm thinking about doing the global entry instead- does anyone know how big the global entry cards are? -i.e. can you carry it in your wallet?
cheers,
grok
Global entry and passport cards are the size of a credit card.
Topic Author
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

OP here, many good suggestions for Real ID to board a plane: passport, passport card, Global Entry, etc.

I'll repeat something I said up-thread, specifically related to driver's licenses: don't wait; if you're non-Real ID on your DL, consider renewing your driver's license early, even before expiration. Other Real ID may get you on a plane, but you need a DL to rent a car.

My home state will not do any renewal on a non-Real ID driver's license; you must convert to a Read ID license and do so in person. You have to schedule a physical appointment, and bring all your documentation. The documentation (as for most Real ID) is based on points and quite specific. One item I brought was a tax bill to show residency. The clerk had to get a manager to approve it: it was titled "Property Tax" by my town; the state Real ID language specified "Real Estate Tax." I was close to being turned away by bureaucracy.

In late 2021 appointments were running several months behind and, for me, in inconvenient locations. I checked daily for cancellations and traveled to a not nearby city location when one opened there.

You can only have a single "state-issued" Real ID. My state ID card (non-Real ID) at our condo location was cancelled on my birthdate early this year. Only Real ID state-ID cards or DLs are available as replacements. If I applied there I was told the software would automatically cancel my other state driver's license Real ID.
hudson

Post by hudson »

This would get a Real ID for me...
Birth Certificate
Social Security Card
Vehicle Registration Card
Utility or Cable Bill

My wife would need
Birth Certificate
Social Security Card
State 1099R
Bank 1099-INT

https://www.ncdot.gov/dmv/license-id/nc ... ochure.pdf
https://www.ncdot.gov/dmv/license-id/nc ... ments.aspx
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Fortunately, my state (MA) doesn't require a real ID. I've had a passport for 35 years and see zero reason to make my drivers license be another passport. I expect that if I use my passport to go out of the country, as in the past, other countries are going to require a passport and coming home through places like Miami, there's a "US Passport Holder" line that has 1 person in it while the rest of the lines have 50 people each.

I also watched both DW and my mom go to our registry (what we call our DMV) to get real ID license and they had every document needed and both were refused because they didn't have something in their name like a gas bill or electric bill or water bill. Well, all of those are in my name, so DW has no chance of ever getting a real ID? My son, same problem. He lives in our house and has exise tax bills on his cars, student loans, car loans. He somehow got his real ID license but brought every possible document known to man that had our address on it including his expired passport. I'll do like I have always done and spent the (literally) 5 minutes online to renew my license.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
rbd789

Post by rbd789 »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:28 am Fortunately, my state (MA) doesn't require a real ID. I've had a passport for 35 years and see zero reason to make my drivers license be another passport. I expect that if I use my passport to go out of the country, as in the past, other countries are going to require a passport and coming home through places like Miami, there's a "US Passport Holder" line that has 1 person in it while the rest of the lines have 50 people each.

I also watched both DW and my mom go to our registry (what we call our DMV) to get real ID license and they had every document needed and both were refused because they didn't have something in their name like a gas bill or electric bill or water bill. Well, all of those are in my name, so DW has no chance of ever getting a real ID? My son, same problem. He lives in our house and has exise tax bills on his cars, student loans, car loans. He somehow got his real ID license but brought every possible document known to man that had our address on it including his expired passport. I'll do like I have always done and spent the (literally) 5 minutes online to renew my license.
+100

Same in NH. I considered getting RealID license last time and found there was a small additional fee for it. I already have a passport, so skipped RealID.

It mystifies me why simply presenting a US passport is insufficient to get RealID. On the other hand, I was once entering the US from Canada by air and upon looking at my US passport, the US immigration officer asked if I had another ID! He accepted the non-ReadID NH license. People are funny.
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

Almost three weeks ago, I decided it was time to renew my passport and passport card which have been expired for a few months. What clued me in that it was time to do something was the realization that an ordinary Driver's License is no longer accepted universally as a valid ID. For example, I received paperwork to roll over a small pension and they required proof of date of birth; they would not accept a regular Drivers License for this purpose. They would accept a passport or passport card, which in my case had expired. Months before, I went through the ID.me process that many government agencies are requiring including unemployment and the IRS. So it hit home to me that the only thing between being me and a non-person was my Drivers License and my Social Security card. When the renewed passport and passport card arrive, I will set an appointment to get my Real ID as well.
A fool and his money are good for business.
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

rbd789 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:43 amI considered getting RealID license last time and found there was a small additional fee for it. I already have a passport, so skipped RealID.
We considered it too, had even made appointments, prepared the forms, and gathered documents. For the first time ever they were allowing online renewal during the pandemic, so we ended up backing out and doing it that way. Our passports had expired, but figured we would renew them by the time we were ready to fly again and, if not, we could upgrade our licenses at that time (for a fee). As it stands now, it's likely we'll wait to renew passports until just before the 5 year limit, as we're still not flying.

The other reason for backing out, is that we thought maybe there was a chance that they'd develop an online process for real ID by the time we needed it.
It mystifies me why simply presenting a US passport is insufficient to get RealID.
Maybe it's that the address is not certain to be current?
rbd789

Post by rbd789 »

jeffyscott wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:36 am
rbd789 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:43 amI considered getting RealID license last time and found there was a small additional fee for it. I already have a passport, so skipped RealID.
We considered it too, had even made appointments, prepared the forms, and gathered documents. For the first time ever they were allowing online renewal during the pandemic, so we ended up backing out and doing it that way. Our passports had expired, but figured we would renew them by the time we were ready to fly again and, if not, we could upgrade our licenses at that time (for a fee). As it stands now, it's likely we'll wait to renew passports until just before the 5 year limit, as we're still not flying.

The other reason for backing out, is that we thought maybe there was a chance that they'd develop an online process for real ID by the time we needed it.
It mystifies me why simply presenting a US passport is insufficient to get RealID.
Maybe it's that the address is not certain to be current?
I don't think so. The basic DL renewal requires proof of address anyway (and a passport does not have your address other than possible emergency contact info the user writes in). I guess I'm thinking that getting a RealID DL should be possible with the usual DL documentation plus a passport. But that did not seem to be the case. For example, they wanted a separate document showing full SSN. I am not sensitive about that, but given that a passport is the "gold standard", I never understood why a RealID DL required documents beyond the usual DL plus a passport. But it is what it is. I just use the passport when flying domestic or otherwise.

Edit: Not wanting to derail the thread, I'm done venting. Normal programming may resume... 🙂
02nz

Post by 02nz »

I didn't scroll through the whole thread so maybe it's already been mentioned, but there's a pilot program for renewing your passport online: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel ... nline.html

I used it and it's easy. They say the processing time is the same as mail-in, but I strongly suspect that it's going to be at least a week or two quicker since your application doesn't have to go through the mail and wait for somebody to open it and enter the data.

They seem to close the pilot program monthly and re-open it at some point the following month, but if I'm not mistaken you can sign up for a MyTravelGov account and then you can renew online at any time (even if the pilot program is closed then to new users).
HobbesMB

Post by HobbesMB »

grok87 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:54 ami'm thinking about doing the global entry instead- does anyone know how big the global entry cards are? -i.e. can you carry it in your wallet?
Be aware that there is a backlog for Global Entry:
The Department of Homeland Security is encouraging travelers who mostly fly domestic to skip Global Entry and opt for TSA PreCheck instead amid long application wait times that can stretch up to more than a year.

“If you do not travel multiple times per year internationally, we recommend applying for the TSA PreCheck Program,” DHS wrote on its website. “Most TSA PreCheck applicants can schedule an appointment in less than 2 weeks and, if approved, can receive a Known Traveler Number (KTN) in about 3 to 5 days after the appointment.”

Federal officials have struggled to keep up with Global Entry applications — a program in which pre-screened international travelers can skip the customs line — since the pandemic forced a five month closure in March 2020, according to the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP).

Currently, “application processing delays” for Global Entry — along with other expedited programs SENTRI, NEXUS, and FAST — are stretching up to 6 to 18 months to complete, according to DHS.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

cheers,
grok
Depending where you live it may take 6+ months to get the required Global Entry interview appointment needed to complete the process. Definitely faster to get a passport/passport card.
mbres60

Post by mbres60 »

I am in MD too. I found it real easy to do and not a hassle (I am retired so didn't need to worry about time off from a job). All I needed was my passport, social security card, car registration, and insurance card. I think that was it. I had plenty of appointment times available to me. I made appointment for two weeks later in mid November. I waited no more than 15 minutes. My new license arrived in the mail four days later!
grok87

Post by grok87 »

HobbesMB wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:21 pm
grok87 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:54 ami'm thinking about doing the global entry instead- does anyone know how big the global entry cards are? -i.e. can you carry it in your wallet?
Be aware that there is a backlog for Global Entry:
The Department of Homeland Security is encouraging travelers who mostly fly domestic to skip Global Entry and opt for TSA PreCheck instead amid long application wait times that can stretch up to more than a year.

“If you do not travel multiple times per year internationally, we recommend applying for the TSA PreCheck Program,” DHS wrote on its website. “Most TSA PreCheck applicants can schedule an appointment in less than 2 weeks and, if approved, can receive a Known Traveler Number (KTN) in about 3 to 5 days after the appointment.”

Federal officials have struggled to keep up with Global Entry applications — a program in which pre-screened international travelers can skip the customs line — since the pandemic forced a five month closure in March 2020, according to the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP).

Currently, “application processing delays” for Global Entry — along with other expedited programs SENTRI, NEXUS, and FAST — are stretching up to 6 to 18 months to complete, according to DHS.
thanks
RIP Mr. Bogle.
grok87

Post by grok87 »

anon_investor wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:39 pm

cheers,
grok
Depending where you live it may take 6+ months to get the required Global Entry interview appointment needed to complete the process. Definitely faster to get a passport/passport card.
thanks
RIP Mr. Bogle.
yatesd

Post by yatesd »

mbres60 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:04 pm

I am in MD too. I found it real easy to do and not a hassle (I am retired so didn't need to worry about time off from a job). All I needed was my passport, social security card, car registration, and insurance card. I think that was it. I had plenty of appointment times available to me. I made appointment for two weeks later in mid November. I waited no more than 15 minutes. My new license arrived in the mail four days later!
Glad you considered a positive experience. Mine wasn’t horrible, but I did need to wait a while. I can’t think of any other ID that required more verification.
montanagirl

Re: REAL ID still set to be effective Oct 1 2021

Post by montanagirl »

tibbitts wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:04 pm I went with the passport solution. Where I live many people have more or less given up on getting a Real-ID drivers license - or actually any other kind of drivers license. I'm sure the problems will subside in another decade or two.
Same here. It was actually easier to get a passport. I was one death certificate short for Real ID and didn't feel like dealing with the courthouse.
3 putter

Post by 3 putter »

SrGrumpy wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:04 pm
tibbitts wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:15 pm
KESP wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:43 pm I went through my local AAA office. I was able to make an appointment online, very easy.
I don't know about every state, but AAA offices are not universally able to provide a RealID.
Yes. This was the case with the AAA in SoCal as of March 2019:

The REAL ID applicant must appear in person at a DMV office and bring several DMV-accepted documents that verify their identity, U.S. legal residence or citizenship status, and current address.

I'm glad I suffered a few hours at the DMV back then, because it's ludicrous to show a passport for domestic travel. I also recall a lot of women with varying last names received a lot of grief for inconsistent paperwork.

I was able to get my Real ID at AAA in California about a month ago. I did the application online and they gave me the ability to make my appointment at AAA.
Iorek

Post by Iorek »

montanagirl wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:56 pm
tibbitts wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:04 pm I went with the passport solution. Where I live many people have more or less given up on getting a Real-ID drivers license - or actually any other kind of drivers license. I'm sure the problems will subside in another decade or two.
Same here. It was actually easier to get a passport. I was one death certificate short for Real ID and didn't feel like dealing with the courthouse.
I’m afraid to ask why you needed a death certificate for real id.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Iorek wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:27 pm
Good one!
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
grok87

Post by grok87 »

3 putter wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:26 pm
SrGrumpy wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:04 pm
tibbitts wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:15 pm
KESP wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:43 pm I went through my local AAA office. I was able to make an appointment online, very easy.
I don't know about every state, but AAA offices are not universally able to provide a RealID.
Yes. This was the case with the AAA in SoCal as of March 2019:

The REAL ID applicant must appear in person at a DMV office and bring several DMV-accepted documents that verify their identity, U.S. legal residence or citizenship status, and current address.

I'm glad I suffered a few hours at the DMV back then, because it's ludicrous to show a passport for domestic travel. I also recall a lot of women with varying last names received a lot of grief for inconsistent paperwork.

I was able to get my Real ID at AAA in California about a month ago. I did the application online and they gave me the ability to make my appointment at AAA.
nice
RIP Mr. Bogle.
rob

Post by rob »

grok87 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:46 pm

cheers,
grok
thanks
I don't think global entry appointments actually exist.... Likely my spouses approved one will expire before I see an interview for her...
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

rob wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:36 pm
grok87 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:46 pm

cheers,
grok
thanks
I don't think global entry appointments actually exist.... Likely my spouses approved one will expire before I see an interview for her...
You have to keep checking... daily. I was conditionally approved in October 2022 and there were no appointments in my area until June 2023! But I kept checking daily for ealier appointments, and I managed to finally find an ealier one in January 2023, so a 3 month wait.

But it is area specific. Where my parents live, they had appointments available same month.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

rob wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:36 pm

They do exist. But since you presumably want it for frequent international travel, the easiest solution might be to do an interview (enrollment) on arrival.

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-trav ... nt-arrival
HicksSt

Post by HicksSt »

It will be extended two years to May of 2025

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/real-id-de ... y-2-years/
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

:D

I'd have been more surprised, if it were not extended.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Iorek wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:27 pm
I think that they want to find people who have genuinely waited long enough for an appointment, and since the wait time is now over 100 years, only dead people can be considered legitimate.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

HicksSt wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:15 am It will be extended two years to May of 2025

I know many who got it right away, when first made available. Accordingly, their original REAL ID will expire not long after May 2025. I wonder if they'll give a credit for the fees paid to comply with this.
RudyS

Post by RudyS »

Haven't seen this mentioned earlier. When I tried for a RealID drivers license at the RMV in Massachusetts, they did not accept my social security card. Years ago I had put a strip of Scotch tape over the number to keep it legible. But the Massachusetts rules say that none of the proffered documents can be laminated. The clerk insisted that included the tape. I will have to show up in person at a SSA office for a replacement card. Cannot be done online for some reason, and I can't mail in my drivers license as ID (I need it!) Or just rely on my passport to get me on a plane. I might see if AAA will be any more reasonable.
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

I have never understood the "do not laminate" orders. I found this, though:
The government says the lamination might cover the many security features on the card. What security features?

The first came in 1983, when the SSA changed the design and the way it protected the cards from counterfeiting.

https://www.wytv.com/news/daybreak/why- ... rity-card/

I laminated my SS card about 100 years ago, or long before 1983 anyway. So maybe there was no do not laminate instruction back then? There is nothing on my card about laminating. Do newer cards say "do not laminate" on the card, itself?

Since it's an item that you're expected to keep for a lifetime, it seems like maybe printing on something a little more durable would make sense, if they've banned lamination.
dbr

Post by dbr »

jeffyscott wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:19 am I have never understood the "do not laminate" orders. I found this, though:
The government says the lamination might cover the many security features on the card. What security features?

The first came in 1983, when the SSA changed the design and the way it protected the cards from counterfeiting.

I laminated my SS card about 100 years ago, or long before 1983 anyway. So maybe there was no do not laminate instruction back then? There is nothing on my card about laminating. Do newer cards say "do not laminate" on the card, itself?

Since it's an item that you're expected to keep for a lifetime, it seems like maybe printing on something a little more durable would make sense, if they've banned lamination.
They could supply a card more akin to a passport card or a global entry card, or even the typical drivers license, one would think. Metal cards are all the rage in the credit card business these days. How about an RFID chip?

I was able to get all my documents pre-approved on line but actually standing in line for hours to complete the issue still has not been done.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: REAL ID now set to be effective May 7, 2025 [Update]

Post by LadyGeek »

I have revised the thread title. Here's the official information source: REAL ID | Homeland Security

(Thanks to the member who reported the post and explained what's wrong.)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
OnceARunner

Post by OnceARunner »

At the rate they are delaying this thing (now til 2025), it will never actually go into effect.

My state mandated it when it was first announced so I've had the "star" on my Drivers license for a while now.
muffins14

Post by muffins14 »

HicksSt wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:15 am It will be extended two years to May of 2025

Amazing. They should really just abandon this at some point as it's clearly not essential to keeping anyone safe
Crom laughs at your Four Winds
RudyS

Post by RudyS »

dbr wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:25 am
jeffyscott wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:19 am I have never understood the "do not laminate" orders. I found this, though:

They could supply a card more akin to a passport card or a global entry card, or even the typical drivers license, one would think. Metal cards are all the rage in the credit card business these days. How about an RFID chip?

I was able to get all my documents pre-approved on line but actually standing in line for hours to complete the issue still has not been done.
Just to clarify, the "not laminated" requirement that I mentioned earlier is part of the RMV (Mass.) criteria for the documentation required. I am not aware of any other place where this is an issue.
Tom_T

Post by Tom_T »

I could have made the license renewal appointment to get REAL ID but I decided not to bother. I have a passport - that is good enough, and more useful.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

Tom_T wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:04 pm I could have made the license renewal appointment to get REAL ID but I decided not to bother. I have a passport - that is good enough, and more useful.
It is not "good enough", it is one of the official forms of RealID. People get tunnel vision about the gold star DLs, but that's just one option out of about twenty.

With the latest in a long line of delays, I wonder how many people still remember that this requirement was envisioned as a protective measure, in response to 9/11. Which will be 24 years in the past when the date is missed again.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

lazydavid wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:12 pm...I wonder how many people still remember that this requirement was envisioned as a protective measure, in response to 9/11...
I wonder how many people realize that US passports were not introduced, or required as entry into the US, until 1924? The whole international passport system sprang into existence a bit after World War I. It's less than a century old.

In German novelist B. Traven's The Death Ship, the first-person narrator, hopelessly entangled in travel problems, inveighs against it:
I am positive the great war was fought, not for democracy or justice, but for no other reason than that a cop, or an immigration officer, may have the legal right to ask you, and be well paid for asking you, to show him your sailor’s card, or what have you. Before the war nobody asked you for a passport....
Every age has its Inquisition. Our age has the passport to make up for the tortures of mediaeval times....

“You ought to have some papers to show who you are,” the police officer advised me.

“I do not need any paper; I know who I am,” I said.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
olefoodie

Post by olefoodie »

If you are in NYC and your license is expiring, the DMV Express near Herald Square is the place to get the Real ID. I was there earlier this year with all the required docs in hand. I was in and out in about 15 minutes. I was impressed by the efficiency of that place - no walk-ins - everybody had an appt and there were maybe 15 fully staffed 'stations.'
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

nisiprius wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:50 pm
lazydavid wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:12 pm...I wonder how many people still remember that this requirement was envisioned as a protective measure, in response to 9/11...
I wonder how many people realize that US passports were not introduced, or required as entry into the US, until 1924? The whole international passport system sprang into existence a bit after World War I. It's less than a century old.
Hmmm. I have the original document passport issued to my great grandmother by Franz Joseph 1, Emperor of Austria-Hungary in 1905 for her arrival here in 1906.
RudyS

Post by RudyS »

Leesbro63 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:48 pm
nisiprius wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:50 pm
Hmmm. I have the original document passport issued to my great grandmother by Franz Joseph 1, Emperor of Austria-Hungary in 1905 for her arrival here in 1906.
From Wikipedia (see German Reisepass): The first passport regulations of what nowadays constitute Germany were first enacted by the North German Confederation on 12 October 1867.[2]
grok87

Post by grok87 »

Tom_T wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:04 pm I could have made the license renewal appointment to get REAL ID but I decided not to bother. I have a passport - that is good enough, and more useful.
but a passport is bulky
RIP Mr. Bogle.
dbr

Post by dbr »

grok87 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:45 am
but a passport is bulky
Passport card and global entry card are same as a credit card.
seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:28 am Fortunately, my state (MA) doesn't require a real ID.
Real ID is a federal requirement (not State) to access certain Federal facilities. If you don't intent do access these facilities, you don't need Real ID.
rbd789 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:53 am
I don't think so. The basic DL renewal requires proof of address anyway (and a passport does not have your address other than possible emergency contact info the user writes in). I guess I'm thinking that getting a RealID DL should be possible with the usual DL documentation plus a passport. But that did not seem to be the case. For example, they wanted a separate document showing full SSN. I am not sensitive about that, but given that a passport is the "gold standard", I never understood why a RealID DL required documents beyond the usual DL plus a passport. But it is what it is. I just use the passport when flying domestic or otherwise.

Edit: Not wanting to derail the thread, I'm done venting. Normal programming may resume... 🙂
Real ID Act requires proof of lawful status in US and SS#.
dbr

Post by dbr »

Documents acceptable to supply SS# include the following and not just an actual SS card.

Social Security card.
W-2 form.
SSA-1099 form.
Non-SSA-1099 form.
Pay stub with your name and Social Security number on it.
Social Security Administration documents establishing that you are ineligible for a Social Security number.

At my DMV they have/had a process to upload scans of the proposed documents and get preapproval of acceptability before going in.
prd1982

Post by prd1982 »

dbr wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:40 pm Documents acceptable to supply SS# include the following and not just an actual SS card.

Social Security card.
W-2 form.
SSA-1099 form.
Non-SSA-1099 form.
Social Security Administration documents establishing that you are ineligible for a Social Security number.

At my DMV they have/had a process to upload scans of the proposed documents and get preapproval of acceptability before going in.
Just be sure the document has the entire SSN. Many of them now just contain the last 4 digits.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

prd1982 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:49 pm
dbr wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:40 pm Documents acceptable to supply SS# include the following and not just an actual SS card.

Social Security card.
W-2 form.
SSA-1099 form.
Non-SSA-1099 form.

Just be sure the document has the entire SSN. Many of them now just contain the last 4 digits.
I have some old documents floating around that still have the full SSN, including my college transcripts. Amazing that they used to use the SSN as one's student ID number at many institutions.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

Saw the new extension this morning. Since my regular DL is expiring in less than a year, I decided to check it new appointments had opened up (our DMV opens them on Mondays). Was able to get one that works perfectly for my schedule on Friday (yes, this week). And yes, I have several alternative RealID compliant docs.