What frugal thing did you do today?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
neilpilot

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by neilpilot »

michaeljc70 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:52 pm Though I don't know exactly how real it is, most of the stuff on here is pretty mundane compared to what I saw on the one episode of Extreme Cheapskates I watched. The woman in the episode:

-Used dryer lint as cotton balls to remove her makeup.
-Had one light bulb in the house. This way you can't accidentally leave lights on in two rooms. She carried the bulb from room to room.
-During a football party she turned the tv off during commercial breaks.
-She had a candle to carry with you to use the restroom.
-She removed everything possible at the grocery store to reduce the weight of produce. Removed the peel from bananas, pulled grapes off the stems, etc.
-She cooked food in the dishwasher while cleaning dishes.
-Did army style showers. Quick hit of water. Lather up. Quick hit of water to rinse.

Again, I take reality tv with a big grain of salt.
I suggest you be frugal and make that a SMALL grain of salt :beer
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

michaeljc70 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:52 pm Though I don't know exactly how real it is, most of the stuff on here is pretty mundane compared to what I saw on the one episode of Extreme Cheapskates I watched. The woman in the episode:

-Had one light bulb in the house. This way you can't accidentally leave lights on in two rooms. She carried the bulb from room to room.
-She removed everything possible at the grocery store to reduce the weight of produce. Removed the peel from bananas, pulled grapes off the stems, etc.
-Did army style showers. Quick hit of water. Lather up. Quick hit of water to rinse.

One question (of many!):

What was she doing giving "football parties"?

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

ResearchMed wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:58 pm

One question (of many!):

What was she doing giving "football parties"?

RM
The sad part of the show was she had a boyfriend and kids and they were forced (well, maybe not the bf but the kids) to partake in this. The bf wanted to throw a football watching party. The woman objected because she thought it would cost to much. Eventually she caved in but did it for as cheap as possible. She went to the butcher asking for the cheapest cuts of meat they had and made some kind of disgusting looking lasagna.

Another thing I forgot she did was after making a pasta dinner with jarred marinara she took each plate after dinner and scraped any sauce left back into the jar to save it.

I believe the show is on TLC.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Please stay on-topic, which is what frugal thing you did today.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

<snip>

Salty use of dryer lint:
https://slaterbarron.com/
https://www.kcet.org/shows/visiting-hue ... s/lint-art

Edit: Sorry, didn't see the admonishment above. Very interesting links though.
Like good comrades to the utmost of their strength, we shall go on to the end. -- Winston Churchill
StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 »

Repaired my daughters Macbook!

Kiddo had a new Macbook Air for just under 6 months and spilled tea on it. $1200 computer she got as a graduation gift. Let it dry out and keyboard and touchpad are not working. Took it to an authorized repair center. They say they have had good success with cleaning them up and getting them working again. Get a call a few days later and total repair cost is just under $700!?!? ( top case and track pad need to be replaced)

I decline repair, new ones are on sale for $799.00. Pick up Macbook and pay $45 diagnostic fee. ( very reasonable, service center was honest and fair in my opinion)

Find parts on Ebay $129.99 shipped, tools 19.99 on Amazon and swapped out the parts myself. Macbook is up and running for less than $200.00. Also have a spare battery if needed. Replacement came with entire top case with everything but logic board and touch id sensor.

Lastly, the kid is paying for this repair since she needs to learn to be more careful with her computer!
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

I don't do anything like that (well, I do take short showers, cold water only - year around), but it's clear that I have a different definition of "frugal" than most everybody posting in this thread. Most of my "frugal" habits are more about health and limiting waste now than saving money, but the habits were developed in my childhood when they were a financial necessity.
WoostaGal

Post by WoostaGal »

Have some sunscreen lotion that is too old to be reliable for sun protection. It has a lot of the same ingredients as your average skin moisturizer. Am using it for general skin lotion after a shower.
Lou Sevens

Post by Lou Sevens »

Did not go out for black friday. Found A book I wanted for the Kindle on sale for $5 from $17.
strummer6969

Post by strummer6969 »

My wife added 5 Black Friday deals to our Amazon cart and I removed all of them.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

I wasn't planning on going to the grocery store today, but a local store had a special after Thanksgiving sale. I got:

-chicken drumsticks - 59 cents/lb
-boneless skinless chicken breasts - 99 cents/lb
-chicken wings - $1.25/lb
-Italian beef w/gravy - $10 for 4 lb
-a bunch of produce that was well priced, but not terribly exciting

It was not easy fitting 8 LB of beef and 18 LB of chicken in the freezer. I am probably at 97% capacity now between the two freezers (one in the kitchen fridge and one in the garage).
makingmistakes

Post by makingmistakes »

strummer6969 wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:29 pm My wife added 5 Black Friday deals to our Amazon cart and I removed all of them.
Let’s hope it’s not a penny-wise, pound-foolish scenario 😂
Zeno

Post by Zeno »

deleted
Last edited by Zeno on Wed Dec 28, 2022 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

strummer6969 wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:29 pm My wife added 5 Black Friday deals to our Amazon cart and I removed all of them.
The savings wouldn't cover my attorney's fees.
strummer6969

Post by strummer6969 »

makingmistakes wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:16 pm
Let’s hope it’s not a penny-wise, pound-foolish scenario 😂
:) It was a gamble for sure but it paid off. She probably assumed it was a glitch. Only 2 of the items made it back into the cart. One of them is a new toaster oven because apparently the one we have (which works perfectly fine) is too old.

But honestly it's not even the money for me. We've just accumulated so much stuff.
WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima »

I always use hot water tap to brush my teeth in the morning. After that I the a shower and water is warm, There is cold water in hot water pipe. Hope I leave a gallon of fresh water every day 365 gallons per year.
SR II

Post by SR II »

Ate leftovers for lunch and dinner! 🦃
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Lou Sevens wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:14 pm Did not go out for black friday.
We did the opposite. Our local Costco overstock/liquidation store (Liquidation Team) had 25% off all clothing for the day. This meant $3 Levis jeans and Champion sweats/joggers, $4 hoodies, $1 t-shirts, etc. for the kids. They are probably set for clothes for the next 3yrs and it cost us all of $110. Another liquidation/fell off the back of the truck store down the street (NPS) had 10% off food; we were lucky to find Adam's natural PB, sugar-free jam, canned chicken and we almost filled a cart. All of these were less than half regular retail cost, so we added to our food storage. Also took advantage of Black Friday to get my favorite whey protein at 55% off, plus 14% back from Topcashback. At 79% off "normal" price (still slightly more expensive than it was regularly 2yrs ago), I bought enough to last me all of '23. All this on a credit card I am churning that has 0% APR until August '24, while earning 3%+ on cash and cash equivalents (I-bonds, CDs, VMFXX).

I am currently churning three recent credit cards with really long 0% APR. We've used them to stock up on various non-perishables (food, clothing, toilet paper and hygiene, etc.) - it's a good thing we have an unused bedroom for storage. I'm expecting our household expenses to be really low through summer of '24. If there there was ever a better time for some financial arbitrage in my adult life, I don't remember it.
Bones212

Post by Bones212 »

My wife and I check out of WiFi hot spots out of the library every week. She checks one out and then on the same day I reserve one which always takes about a week to get.

This free Wi-Fi allows both of us to have far cheaper cell phone plans. My 3GB plan is only $5 a month since we have home internet for $40 (it's a bundled offer). She has Tracfone and spends $20 every 3 months.

If I didn't operate a dealership and use home internet to inspect and appraise vehicles online, we would probably rely on this as our sole internet source.
WoostaGal

Post by WoostaGal »

Added a kiwi that was too mushy to be eaten to some banana muffins I was making.
mkc

Post by mkc »

Used an upholstery fabric remnant and some leftover quilt batting and backing to make a new quilted dog bed cover.
Nver2Late

Post by Nver2Late »

Sewed up a pair of holes in my darned socks.
"Better is the enemy of good." Good is good.
TravellingTechOnFire

Post by TravellingTechOnFire »

stoptothink wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:56 am
........... All this on a credit card I am churning that has 0% APR until August '24, while earning 3%+ on cash and cash equivalents (I-bonds, CDs, VMFXX).
Can you elaborate on this please?
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

Nver2Late wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:54 am Sewed up a pair of holes in my darned socks.
Darned in this context is not a pejorative: it means already repaired by sewing. You are saying they’d already been sewn up and you sewed them up again. Right? Just trying to prevent it from being edited. To darn is a verb meaning to repay by sewing up a hole. Darning thread, darning needles, etc.

For my part I divided a large breakfast order to last for 3 meals. Not too hard when portions are so huge. I also refrained from shopping all weekend: also not hard since I shopped in the prior weeks. May wait until the end of December or first week of January to shop for pricier items for myself. That is my usual process since December is gift, tip and donation season.
Last edited by AnnetteLouisan on Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nver2Late

Post by Nver2Late »

Yes - cheap cotton socks I throw away, there is no material left to darn. A good, comfortable, thick wool or wool blend sock, they all end up darned.
"Better is the enemy of good." Good is good.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

TravellingTechOnFire wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:51 pm
stoptothink wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:56 am
........... All this on a credit card I am churning that has 0% APR until August '24, while earning 3%+ on cash and cash equivalents (I-bonds, CDs, VMFXX).
Can you elaborate on this please?
What is there to elaborate on? There are tons of credit card deals out there with 12+ months of 0% APR (and cash bonuses) and HYSA and other "cash" investments are paying 3+%. With high inflation and decent cash investment rates, you can make some decent (guaranteed) money by kicking the can down the road on any bills you can pay with a credit card.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

Saved $1 a gallon by filling up at Costco. Good but not a record.
Used leftovers to create a unique and tasty dish.
Like good comrades to the utmost of their strength, we shall go on to the end. -- Winston Churchill
fourier

Post by fourier »

Bought our groceries at Aldi.
Ivygirl

Post by Ivygirl »

I've kept my grocery receipts for the last 30 days and today I reviewed them, which was my frugal thing I did. Prices are all over the place, I never know what to expect when I go to the store. Turkey burgers were $5.92 for six (2 lbs. total) two weeks ago; yesterday they were priced at $11.92! I asked an employee to check it for me just to confirm and it really was that price. :shock: No thanks!

I will be switching to self-checkout entirely to prevent cashier errors and prices ringing up higher than marked on the shelf, which have been a problem at every store except Aldi in the last month.
ray.james

Post by ray.james »

Ivygirl wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:52 pm I've kept my grocery receipts for the last 30 days and today I reviewed them, which was my frugal thing I did. Prices are all over the place, I never know what to expect when I go to the store. Turkey burgers were $5.92 for six (2 lbs. total) two weeks ago; yesterday they were priced at $11.92! I asked an employee to check it for me just to confirm and it really was that price. :shock: No thanks!

I will be switching to self-checkout entirely to prevent cashier errors and prices ringing up higher than marked on the shelf, which have been a problem at every store except Aldi in the last month.
Agree, grocery pricing is all over the place. Some items like eggs, milk, rice etc are up more than 50% since 2019. Veggies are all over the place and change per week by -30% to +80%
When in doubt, http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79939
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

ray.james wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:25 am
Ivygirl wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:52 pm I've kept my grocery receipts for the last 30 days and today I reviewed them, which was my frugal thing I did. Prices are all over the place, I never know what to expect when I go to the store. Turkey burgers were $5.92 for six (2 lbs. total) two weeks ago; yesterday they were priced at $11.92! I asked an employee to check it for me just to confirm and it really was that price. :shock: No thanks!

Agree, grocery pricing is all over the place. Some items like eggs, milk, rice etc are up more than 50% since 2019. Veggies are all over the place and change per week by -30% to +80%
Eggs are 4x the price they were 2yrs ago here.
Ivygirl

Post by Ivygirl »

stoptothink wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:47 am

The lesson I got from my "frugal thing" review of the grocery receipts was that every single price has to be checked before putting it in the cart and also when ringing it up. Assuming that any item has had only a modest price rise is not something one can do any more; it could be a 100% price rise just in two weeks.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Ivygirl wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:17 am

The lesson I got from my "frugal thing" review of the grocery receipts was that every single price has to be checked before putting it in the cart and also when ringing it up. Assuming that any item has had only a modest price rise is not something one can do any more; it could be a 100% price rise just in two weeks.
I went to Amazon Fresh yesterday and used the just walk out lanes for the first time. It took almost 2 hours to get my receipt emailed to me where I saw one item was 70% more than the price on the shelf. Not doing that again.

I do find it easier to catch pricing errors at the self checkouts. However, one big chain here does not take off some of the discounts until the very end all at once making it more difficult. This same store often has problems with digital coupons. One problem is apparently when you clip a digital coupon it is not instantly recognized and sometimes takes hours to be recognized at the register.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

michaeljc70 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:24 am
Ivygirl wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:17 am

I went to Amazon Fresh yesterday and used the just walk out lanes for the first time. It took almost 2 hours to get my receipt emailed to me where I saw one item was 70% more than the price on the shelf. Not doing that again.

I do find it easier to catch pricing errors at the self checkouts. However, one big chain here does not take off some of the discounts until the very end all at once making it more difficult. This same store often has problems with digital coupons. One problem is apparently when you clip a digital coupon it is not instantly recognized and sometimes takes hours to be recognized at the register.
All of this is my experience as well. I think the large grocery chains are deliberately swinging the prices to see just how much they can raise prices. This is only tangentially related to inflation or supply chain issues, more like A/B testing to see what generates the highest profits. Keeping an eye on the sales has saved me more money than usual, at least relative to the non-sale prices.
Hola

Post by Hola »

Today I cancelled my $79 a month gym membership and signed up at the local rec center which has all the gym equipment I need plus 3 Racquetball courts for only $105 per year.

Woohoo!
Colorado14

Post by Colorado14 »

A couple of months ago I received a birthday card from a friend who forgot to sign the card. So today I signed the card and gave it to a different friend.

We are only sending Christmas cards this year to older relatives. People my age and younger don't seem to be very interested in receiving physical cards.
WoostaGal

Post by WoostaGal »

When we moved my Mom to senior housing about a year ago, we discovered she had acquired a large collection of various household items because her storage was disorganized and she didn't know what she had. I inherited some of those items, including a couple of bottles of hydrogen peroxide. From the magic of the web, I learned that hydrogen peroxide can be a good general purpose cleaner (within some limitations - please do your own research for suitability before using it). While I would never go out and buy hydrogen peroxide for this purpose, it would bother me to just throw it out and today I used it to clean my bathroom sink.
YeahBuddy

Post by YeahBuddy »

Leftovers for lunch!
Light weight baby!
Count de Monet

Post by Count de Monet »

I passed on a $1700 roofing repair quote and DIY it for <$100 in materials. Doesn't look great up close, but should shed water fine on a steep roof.
Then, I took a cold shower (on Nov. 28!).
Roth Conversion Disorder.
sofarsogood

Post by sofarsogood »

installed my own snow tires
Rodethe600

Post by Rodethe600 »

I put Duck Brand plastic film on windows. Reused the same film I've used for about 5 years. This has probably already been posted on here, but if you don't use a hair dryer, it comes off pretty easily.
cheesepep

Post by cheesepep »

Charged my Tesla for free at the nearby Costco when I did my shopping.
Kookaburra

Post by Kookaburra »

I applaud conservation as much as the next person, but it doesn’t seem frugal to value one’s time and effort at 2 cents per hour.
Kookaburra

Post by Kookaburra »

Colorado14 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:58 pm A couple of months ago I received a birthday card from a friend who forgot to sign the card. So today I signed the card and gave it to a different friend.
Oh holy night.

It’s the thought that counts, right?
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Finished off the Thanksgiving leftovers (4 days after Thanksgiving) rather than throwing them out.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
Nestegg_User

Post by Nestegg_User »

did my own repair of our washing machine, but it did take a couple of days for the parts to arrive at the local appliance parts store. (there are some things that you shouldn't get over at Amaz@ñ etc unless you can be **absolutely sure** that they are new, correct, and aren't defective.)
It works good now... total repair was less than what someone would charge for the diagnostic.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Count de Monet wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:17 pmThen, I took a cold shower (on Nov. 28!).
I do this every day. Since I can't afford a real cold tank, this is the next best thing.
WestCoastPhan

Post by WestCoastPhan »

I went to our local market to pick up a few things. Among other things, my DW asked me to get artichokes "if they aren't too expensive." They were $5.99 EACH. I didn't buy them! :sharebeer
wabbott

Post by wabbott »

Just finished replacing kitchen faucet and spray nozzle. I don't like plumbing, but I like less paying the several hundred dollars for someone else to do it. While driving over to Lowe's for the parts, the thought struck me that I should be thankful that at almost 73, I can still crawl under the sink.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

wabbott wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:18 am Just finished replacing kitchen faucet and spray nozzle. I don't like plumbing, but I like less paying the several hundred dollars for someone else to do it. While driving over to Lowe's for the parts, the thought struck me that I should be thankful that at almost 73, I can still crawl under the sink.
We just completed the same. We bought the hardware several months ago anticipating a semi-relative who is a plumber would do it for us. DW exercised extreme patience by not calling another plumber when his schedule didn't work for a non-emergency small job like ours.

He made it to us last week. $125 + my not having to crawl under the sink and then crawl under there again to troubleshoot something I certainly would have not done correctly. I consider that frugal!