[France / EU] French "Livret A" for non-residents, non-citizens

For investors outside the US. Personal investments, personal finance, investing news and theory.
Sister forums: Canada, Spain (en español)
---------------
Topic Author
Tellurius

[France / EU] French "Livret A" for non-residents, non-citizens

Post by Tellurius »

I have been looking for a bank savings account which offers interest, being a EUropean, earning and saving in euros. This has been mostly a fruitless search. In Cyprus, the highest interest paid is 0,10% if the money is locked for a few years. In Italy, there are some banks offering interest on deposits without locking up the money, maximum 1% with a promotional rate of 1,5% (the online Banca Progetto) https://confrontaconti.ilsole24ore.com/ ... fresh_ce=1

Something that I had known about for some time but was not worth it is the French Livret A, which is a tax-free no-access-restrictions account with a maximum of ~22 000 €. The interest rate (and conditions) are controlled by the state and is consistently better than the market. It now stands at 2%. It is available for non-citizens, non-residents.

I am neither a French citizen nor a French resident, but can communicate in French. I am an EU citizen. Has anyone in the same position had any experience opening a French bank account, and then a Livret A?
“And how shall I think of you?' He considered a moment and then laughed. 'Think of me with my nose in a book!” | ― Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell