PM question

Discussions about the forum and contents
Topic Author
PoemMan

PM question

Post by PoemMan »

I prepared a PM, but it is still sitting in my Outbox and not viewable in my Sent items. Is there another step to complete the process of sending a PM?

Thank you,
PoemMan
“This old truck … I own it … it don’t own me” - Howlin’ Wolf in Cadillac Records
runner3081

Re: PM question

Post by runner3081 »

Same issue on my end
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

PM will move to Sent when the recipient has read it.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
Topic Author
PoemMan

Post by PoemMan »

Thank you, good to know!
“This old truck … I own it … it don’t own me” - Howlin’ Wolf in Cadillac Records
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

More precisely, when the recipient has opened it. There is no requirement to read it or way for the system to know if it was actually read.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
Peculiar_Investor
Site Admin

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

PoemMan wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:30 am I prepared a PM, but it is still sitting in my Outbox and not viewable in my Sent items. Is there another step to complete the process of sending a PM?
From the FAQ, specifically help/faq#f7r0
FAQ wrote:Why is my private message stuck in the Outbox?
Sent messages will appear in either the "Outbox" or the "Sent Messages" folder. As long as the recipient(s) have not yet read the message, it will stay in the "Outbox". As soon as someone reads the message it will be archived to the "Sent messages" folder. If the administrator allows it, you can edit messages after sending them as long as they are in the "Outbox" and the recipients have not yet read them.
This behaviour is different than how emails operate, hence the periodic question and placement in the FAQ about it.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

If recipients’ inbox is full, they may not realize it. I believe - perhaps mods can confirm - they need to clean their inbox below 150 messages to receive new messages.
Peculiar_Investor
Site Admin

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

AnnetteLouisan wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:30 pm If recipients’ inbox is full, they may not realize it. I believe - perhaps mods can confirm - they need to clean their inbox below 150 messages to receive new messages.
That's the default action.

It can be changed in your User Control Panel settings, under the Private Messages tab. Specifically take a look at the Rules, folders & settings section and look at the options available for If folder is full:. If you are logged in, the direct link is ucp.php?i=ucp_pm&mode=options.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

Peculiar_Investor wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:27 pm
AnnetteLouisan wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:30 pm If recipients’ inbox is full, they may not realize it. I believe - perhaps mods can confirm - they need to clean their inbox below 150 messages to receive new messages.
That's the default action.

It can be changed in your User Control Panel settings, under the Private Messages tab. Specifically take a look at the Rules, folders & settings section and look at the options available for If folder is full:. If you are logged in, the direct link is ucp.php?i=ucp_pm&mode=options.
Thanks!!