Treasury Direct site for an update with a new design

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author

Treasury Direct site for an update with a new design

Post by 3000 »

Article about the new design for Treasury Direct.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/10/04/as-dema ... eover.html
Makefile

Re: Treasury Direct site for an update with a new design

Post by Makefile »

Note it's only the main treasurydirect.gov site not the one you get after logging in.

I would give it a mixed review. It incorporates some of the same unfortunate web design trends as the new Vanguard account pages. For example, the four interest rates (EE, I, 30-year, 10-year) are so huge, and have empty space around them, such that they take up an entire screenful on a 1920x1080 monitor. I suspect some of this is to keep things spaced apart enough that it is easy to pick an element using a touchscreen which means you need a few fingertip-lengths of blank space around each element.

But I guess it doesn't break anything I need either.
tipswatcher

Post by tipswatcher »

I prowled through the new site (which is overlaid on the old site) and then posted my thoughts:

https://tipswatch.com/2022/10/04/treasu ... e-sort-of/

The old site never bothered me, I was used to it and knew where to go to do what I needed to do. They new site's outer shell isn't fabulous, but it makes the site more readable, the font is attractive, and it works better on mobile. TD made an effort to simplify the language and navigation. It's a start, but this redesign won't end the complaints about account creation and support.
TIPS: Perfect investment for imperfect times?
mongstradamus

Post by mongstradamus »

Makefile wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:23 pm Note it's only the main treasurydirect.gov site not the one you get after logging in.

I would give it a mixed review. It incorporates some of the same unfortunate web design trends as the new Vanguard account pages. For example, the four interest rates (EE, I, 30-year, 10-year) are so huge, and have empty space around them, such that they take up an entire screenful on a 1920x1080 monitor. I suspect some of this is to keep things spaced apart enough that it is easy to pick an element using a touchscreen which means you need a few fingertip-lengths of blank space around each element.

But I guess it doesn't break anything I need either.
a bit off topic but I think most sites are optimized for mobile devices nowadays as opposed to desktop computers.

As far as site itself it took me a bit to get used to it , its fine I guess.
Makefile

Post by Makefile »

mongstradamus wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:43 pm a bit off topic but I think most sites are optimized for mobile devices nowadays as opposed to desktop computers.

As far as site itself it took me a bit to get used to it , its fine I guess.
Right. At first there were separate "mobile" and "desktop" sites for many systems, then a shift to responsive design where screen elements would collapse to fit a mobile screen (which you could test by shrinking the window and watching it happen), followed by mobile-first sites that are then jury-rigged to fit a desktop screen with the least effort possible.

Oh well. At least it isn't an infinite scrolling "feed" like a social media site.
CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo »

3000 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:09 pm Article about the new design for Treasury Direct.

The article had me at...

For example, TreasuryDirect customers will soon have the ability to update banking details online rather than by mailing a form, they said.

:beer
"Save like a pessimist, invest like an optimist." - Morgan Housel | "Pick a bushel, save a peck!" - Grandpa
MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 »

Still haven't eliminated the virtual keyboard...
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

CyclingDuo wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:12 am
3000 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:09 pm Article about the new design for Treasury Direct.

The article had me at...

For example, TreasuryDirect customers will soon have the ability to update banking details online rather than by mailing a form, they said.

Hooray!
DesertDiva

Post by DesertDiva »

:confused The 90’s called and they wanted their website back. At least some of it.
mokaThought

Post by mokaThought »

Search "TreasuryDirect" to find this thread and note that I can't log in. Error message says the site is currently unavailable. Downgrade in my book.
"October: This is one of the peculiarly dangerous months to speculate in stocks. The others are July, January, September, April, November, May, March, June, December, August and February."
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

The article had me at...

I'm sure hackers are licking their chopsticks as well.
Time is the ultimate currency.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

Maybe they could save themselves some cost and effort and let customers buy iBonds through their regular brokerage accounts?
cookienadal

Post by cookienadal »

Logging into site much easier to find, but no more functional. Could not get page to load.
As well, no more abilities, still can't enter bank info.
If they have decreased wait times I could not tell.
Waited 2.5 hours. Finally answered. She said my computer not working. Put me on hold again. I was cut off.
I called back at 1:45 set and they were done answering calls for the day.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

Not much change.
I only access TD once a month to update my interest as I include my I-bonds in my Outside Holdings area at Vanguard.

Personally I have never had any issues with TD, so I never worried about the website. My concern for financial accounts is security of my holdings. The TD site seems secure. The magic decoder ring was kind cool at the time. I promply lost mine but TD sent a new one quickly. The site won't earn any accolades but it is functional enough for my needs.

Seems those folks who leave a rating are fine with the site:

Excellent 62%
Good 28%
Fair 6%
Poor 4%

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
beyou

Post by beyou »

The article had me at...

As soon as you enter the super secret code that you must obtain from …..

I’ll believe it when I see it. I doubt their idea of “soon” is same as mine. The policy on adding banks is a major problem, and yes this was the only plan that got my interest.
cookienadal

Post by cookienadal »

I reported the phone system problems to my congress person today. I know there is one congresswoman in VA very interested in the problems, but my Congresswoman is a lame duck so I doubt there will be anything done to register my complaint. It pisses me off that I finally got through and was hung up on.
boridi

Post by boridi »

I like the old-fashioned website. Plain text that loads instantly instead of a gazillion images and gadgets that take forever to load. Plain text that's all the same size, unlike the updated Vanguard website where every line of text is a significantly different size. The TD website has dense formatting, no scrolling through whitespace for days.

Not being able to use the "Back" button is annoying, but I've gotten used to it.