Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2022!

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2022!

Post by Miriam2 »

"Good Morning, my Friends, . . .
A lot will happen in the coming twelve months. It's a perilous world out there,
so get your asset allocation right - for you - and then just Stay the Course.
Best. Always. JACK"

-- Jack Bogle, Post to the Bogleheads, 10/19/2011, www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=84344

Here is the latest Roll Call for the Intrepid Retirement Class of 2022 :D

Half-way through the year and our 2022 Retirement Class already has 59 very happy graduates & a long list awaiting punch-out!

Already retired - Way to go!! :sharebeer
01 Jan - beernutz
01 Jan - old medic
01 Jan - Methos1979 (age 60)
01 Jan - aas (53)
02 Jan - bad1bill (70)
03 Jan - john0608 (65)
04 Jan - Atilla (54)
06 Jan - jamacq
07 Jan - Whatyear? (62)
29 Jan - Mrs Taz (58)
31 Jan - numerica
__ Jan - D Newton (65)
__ Jan - JIMX7

02 Feb - Escapevelocity (55)
11 Feb - rocket123 (57)
27 Feb - Jeepergeo
__ Feb - StewedCarrot (under 50)
__ Feb - happysteward

01 Mar - timshel
01 Mar - BobB (69)
31 Mar - apsuGuy (58)
__ Mar - GG1273 (63)
__ Mar - deserat (58)
__ Mar - LGAGA (56)

01 Apr - averagedude (52)
01 Apr - P&C Actuary
01 Apr - hoeboe (49)
01 Apr - morsetaper2 (63)
01 Apr - 260chrisb (60)
08 Apr - augryphon
25 Apr - jnevada
29 Apr - rennem (72)

01 May - nyone (58)
02 May - Lacrocious
04 May - Mybuterrier
06 May - Bass4 (58)
06 May - leftcoaster (51)
07 May - JRA (65)
07 May - squirrel1963
31 May - Bronko
31 May - DA200 (55)
31 May - Ricola
__ May - Bass4
__ May - Tjb (63)
__ May - SunRainSnow (49)

01 Jun - Newby61 (61)
01 Jun - gristboy (60)
15 Jun - BigWave Dave (61.5)
30 Jun - Runyer (63)
30 Jun - jh (46)
__ Jun - expo62 (59)

01 Jul - Viking65 (56)
01 Jul - MikeWillRetire (60)
01 Jul - Silentnight (66)
01 Jul - desiderium (62)
01 Jul - just1question (54)
01 Jul - infotrader (61)
01 Jul - docsully (77)
__ Jul - Californian

Our Upcoming Graduates - hang in there - it won't be long!! :D
01 Aug - augryphon (60)
01 Aug - tooluser (56)
31 Aug - blackburnian (65)
31 Aug - Feijao (53)
__ Aug - trallium (50)

12 Sep - MNGopher (57)
30 Sep - cockersx3 (49.9)

31 Oct - usa (56)
__ Oct - texas lawdog (52)
__ Oct - jjunk (48)
__ Oct - Minerva90 (62)

02 Nov - iluvzbeach (52)

30 Dec - cork (70)
31 Dec - fatcoffeedrinker (54)
31 Dec - AngelFIRE (52)
31 Dec - Jtdmn (64)
31 Dec - Live Simple
31 Dec - Barkingsparrow (64)
31 Dec - Yaquiway (58)
__ Dec - shiftyg (54)

__ ___ - txbear55 (66)
__ ___ - rich126
__ ___ - macman_65 (56)
__ ___ - MAKsdad
__ ___ - thrifty_one (56)
__ ___ - TheTimeLord
__ ___ - JBTX (58)

The Infinity Retirement Class 8-)
HomerJ (class of 2021/2022 . . . to S&P 5,000 and beyond!! . . .)

Let me know if I made any goofs with the Roll Call :mrgreen:

For me, thanks to mutual funds - don't panic about that stock market 8-)
Enjoy!
"And here is the song
They sing the whole day long" - ("The Tale of the Ticker," Frank Crumit, 1929)

"Oh the market's not so good today, your stocks look kind of sick.
In fact they all drop down a point each time the tickers tick.
We'll have to have more margin now, there isn't any doubt.
So you better dash with a load of cash, or we'll have to sell you out!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXzFPl7UdgQ
Last edited by Miriam2 on Fri Aug 26, 2022 11:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
docsolly

Post by docsolly »

July 1, 2022 after 47 years at the same job (77).
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

docsolly wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:29 pm July 1, 2022 after 47 years at the same job (77).
Hi doc! Welcome to this Most Awesome Retirement Roll Call! You're on the roster and in the Intrepid Retirement Class of 2022 :D After 47 years working at the same job, we hope you'll enjoy an equal number of good years relaxing in retirement - a lifetime of good work and another lifetime of good enjoyable retirement 8-)

And not only that - we notice you have been a Boglehead since March 2007, having joined this wonderful forum on March 13, 2007, less than a month after bogleheads.org was born! What can I say - your portfolio must be a truly awesome and remarkable sight to behold :moneybag

And yes, you have therefore achieved several of the Greatest Honors of the many Great Honors this Historic Retirement Roll Call has - and trust me, we have many Great Honors - ==>> first the Great Honor of Most Senior Boglehead - although this year you'll share this prestigious honor with several other Bogleheads who joined the forum in 2007. What a year that was!!!! :beer

And second ==>> the great Honor of Eldest Boglehead Retiree, having retired at the very good age of 77 years old :D You have a long ways to go - Taylor turned 98 years old this year, still pushing around his Three-Fund Portfolio and sailing around Biscayne Bay! (although in fairness, he retired at age 57) 8-)

We wish you all the best in your retirement and hope you continue to visit us and help others achieve such greatness :happy
Last edited by Miriam2 on Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zeno

Post by Zeno »

deleted
Last edited by Zeno on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
docsolly

Post by docsolly »

Thanks for the kind words Miriam. I have been a follower of Bogle since the Vanguard diehards site on Morningstar.
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

docsolly wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:29 pm July 1, 2022 after 47 years at the same job (77).
This is priceless! Congrats docsolly!

Dave
"Reality always wins, your only job is to get in touch with it." Wilfred Bion
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Zeno wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:22 pm Thank you for everything you do, Miriam2. These retirement threads are awesome, as is your enthusiastic and kind commentary. The threads also provide a reassuring transition point, and maybe even a capstone of sorts, to the entire forum. It is fascinating -- and reassuring -- to scroll through the names as well as the ages.
Thanks for the thanks, Zeno! I'm gonna show this to my boss :mrgreen:

Retirement as a transition point - that's for sure. It's helpful to hear of other's glidepaths into this next phase of life and their emotional angst associated with this great milestone.
squirrel1963

Post by squirrel1963 »

Yeay congratulations :beer
LMP | Liability Matching Portfolio | safe portfolio: TIPS ladder + I-bonds + Treasuries | risky portfolio: US stocks / US REIT / International stocks
Sealion

Post by Sealion »

Long time, really long time lurker - heck back to the Vanguard Diehard forum on Morningstar before Bogleheads.org. I have probably learned more about life than investing here, thank you to all. Hopefully I will have some time to contribute now :happy At age 57,two weeks ago went on annual leave until Sept 30th, my official retirement date. I left a good job, good coworkers, good boss, insulated from most drama, was always left alone to do the work with virtually no management intervention for over 32 years. Just saw where the need was and filled it. My joke with co-workers in the last few years was that I got no direction from management for over 30 years and they dam better not start now! Something to be said about leaving when on top of your game and can leave on your terms.

I was surprised at the lack of sad feelings about leaving or for that matter having any feelings about leaving. My wife keeps asking me if it has hit me yet. It hasn't. My retirement party is next Thursday, maybe the feeling will hit me then. I guess all my retirement reading on Bogleheads over the years has me prepared not only financially but also emotionally.

Thank you again to all.
MillennialFinance19

Post by MillennialFinance19 »

Not even close myself, but Congratulations to all of you! You are great inspiration for us younger individuals who are trying to stick to the Bogleheads philosophies.
VTI and chill until 57...
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

Sealion wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:01 am I was surprised at the lack of sad feelings about leaving or for that matter having any feelings about leaving. My wife keeps asking me if it has hit me yet. It hasn't. My retirement party is next Thursday, maybe the feeling will hit me then. I guess all my retirement reading on Bogleheads over the years has me prepared not only financially but also emotionally.
Same here (except for the retirement party). I retired twelve days ago. I am prepared for some different feelings later on, but for now it just feels like a great source of stress has been lifted from my shoulders. Overall, I liked the job and the employer and have no regrets, but in more than three decades I never got comfortable with having to work for someone else no matter how well they treated me. I'm getting good sleep and exercise, and my house has never been so clean or de-cluttered, in preparation for sale. Soon to haul up the anchor, with open seas ahead.
Like good comrades to the utmost of their strength, we shall go on to the end. -- Winston Churchill
Runyer

Post by Runyer »

Hello Class of 2022!

Just returned from my six weeks out west enjoying the great outdoors. Great trip with lots of memories, but I’m happy to be home. Since retiring the end of June, people have been asking me “How’s retirement”? My answer: I really don’t know as I’ve really been on an extended vacation. I’m ready to settle in and see what it’s really like. I will say that this is the first vacation I’ve ever taken that I didn’t get up early, read and respond to my work emails and make return phone calls. That was a welcome and awesome change so far!

Now I’m home and catching up with people we haven’t seen or spoken with for six weeks. It’s a pretty good start to my transition to retirement. In fact, I would suggest a good transition like this (six weeks of vacation or more) leading into retirement. It seems to have taken away that sudden feeling of what am I going to do since I’m not going to work the next day. I have plenty to do for awhile at home to keep me busy!

Runyer
Newby61

Post by Newby61 »

Newby61 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:11 am I have been hoping for the Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2022! What a surprise and a great feeling to see it this morning and know this is my year. Thanks for posting. Please add me to the list. My date will be June 1, 2022. After 20 years with mega corp and many...many...many working years before that, it is time. I will be 61 and DW 60. Now the plan is to convince the company that they can help me set sail earlier with a package! :wink:
My date slipped a bit but August 1st was my last day of work. Unfortunately no package on the way out. What a great feeling to be free!
MastersChampion

Post by MastersChampion »

I'm happy to be joining the Class of 2022 on September 1, 2022. That's my last day after working in engineering for 38+ years, starting as a co-op student in 1984.

DW will retire on or about October 1. We'll both be 57 and married 30 years.
I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

manuvns has a question which I've moved into a new thread. See: How much debt is OK in retirement?

(Thanks to the member who reported the post and explained what's wrong.)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

I suppose it is time for me to get on the list - I retired on July 22 at age 58 and it seems like it’s going to stick one month in! Can’t imagine going back to be honest :D
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Sealion wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:01 am Long time, really long time lurker - heck back to the Vanguard Diehard forum on Morningstar before Bogleheads.org. I have probably learned more about life than investing here, thank you to all. Hopefully I will have some time to contribute now :happy At age 57, two weeks ago went on annual leave until Sept 30th, my official retirement date. I left a good job, good coworkers, good boss, insulated from most drama, was always left alone to do the work with virtually no management intervention for over 32 years. Just saw where the need was and filled it. My joke with co-workers in the last few years was that I got no direction from management for over 30 years and they dam better not start now! Something to be said about leaving when on top of your game and can leave on your terms.

I was surprised at the lack of sad feelings about leaving or for that matter having any feelings about leaving. My wife keeps asking me if it has hit me yet. It hasn't. My retirement party is next Thursday, maybe the feeling will hit me then. I guess all my retirement reading on Bogleheads over the years has me prepared not only financially but also emotionally.

Thank you again to all.
Many thanks, Sealion, for your nice post and very warm work-to-retirement story :happy We're delighted to welcome you to this Fabulous Retirement Roll Call and we're looking forward to all your future contributions to this forum! A good job and a good retirement - what more could we ask for :D

Taylor Larimore retired at age 57, and here is what he posted about that milestone:
Taylor Larimore wrote:I retired 36 years ago at the age of 57. Unquestionably one of the best decisions of my life.

What's not to like when I can wake up each morning at any time I want, to do to do whatever I want, including conversations with my Boglehead friends such as this.

It's a beautiful life. . .

Best wishes.
Taylor
www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php? ... 0#p3726034

Sealion, we hope you enjoyed your retirement party! We wish you a long, happy retirement filled with all good things, many new adventures, and lots of good times here on the Bogleheads forum :!:
DinoNerd

Post by DinoNerd »

Hi Folks

I retired in January of this year (2022). I'll be 65 two months from now. (i.e. I retired at 64.)

I might have said so earlier, but I've only just discovered boggleheads.

On the other hand, I've been some kind of Bogglehead for several decades. I just didn't know the name.(I could count it from when I first discovered the efficient market hypothesis, or from when I bought my first shares of a Vanguard index fund, or several other milestones.) :)
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

tooluser wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:41 pm
Sealion wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:01 am I was surprised at the lack of sad feelings about leaving or for that matter having any feelings about leaving. My wife keeps asking me if it has hit me yet. It hasn't. My retirement party is next Thursday, maybe the feeling will hit me then. I guess all my retirement reading on Bogleheads over the years has me prepared not only financially but also emotionally.
Same here (except for the retirement party). I retired twelve days ago. I am prepared for some different feelings later on, but for now it just feels like a great source of stress has been lifted from my shoulders. Overall, I liked the job and the employer and have no regrets, but in more than three decades I never got comfortable with having to work for someone else no matter how well they treated me. I'm getting good sleep and exercise, and my house has never been so clean or de-cluttered, in preparation for sale.
SOS - Need advice on this! :mrgreen: You really worked quickly, tooluser.
tooluser wrote:Soon to haul up the anchor, with open seas ahead.
We wish you fair winds and following seas and the promise of a coming day on the downhill run to Pape'ete. 8-)
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

Miriam2 wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:41 am
Same here (except for the retirement party). I retired twelve days ago. I am prepared for some different feelings later on, but for now it just feels like a great source of stress has been lifted from my shoulders. Overall, I liked the job and the employer and have no regrets, but in more than three decades I never got comfortable with having to work for someone else no matter how well they treated me. I'm getting good sleep and exercise, and my house has never been so clean or de-cluttered, in preparation for sale.
We wish you fair winds and following seas and the promise of a coming day on the downhill run to Pape'ete. 8-)
Thank you, Miriam2, for doing a great job in these "Class" threads. It's great to know that one is not alone, and to get some sense of how it goes for others. Thanks also to all the Bogleheads since 2008 when I started reading the site (but only joined in 2011). So much good advice on a wide range of topics!

Cleaning and decluttering the house:
1) Secret #1: I cheated. I actually started a couple of months out. :mrgreen:
2) Make lists of the major things to do, and start knocking it out: Keep, Donate, Trash (and Sell if you are so inclined)
3) Decluttering
-a) Go room by room (Sorry, Marie Kondo!) Don't put off decisions by moving things to another room for later. Many rooms required more than one day to declutter. Start with a closet or a drawer or a corner, and don't backslide by putting more stuff in partially decluttered rooms.
-b) Group like things (e.g. kitchen, memorabilia, files). Put them in boxes together or at least in the same pile or drawer together.
-c) Once you have a clear area, you can very carefully and temporarily store some things there (e.g. clothes from 3 different closets) but you need to get them out of there as soon as possible.
-d) Commit to 30-60 minutes a day. Put it on your calendar! It is both a physically and mentally draining task, so take no more time unless you feel like it.
-e) Use the lists to check off things you get done. A list of all your rooms (with columns for decluttering and cleaning), a list of things you know need to be trashed (regular, recycling, hazardous), things to donate.
4) Cleaning:
-a) Once an area is decluttered, clean it fairly deeply. Then commit to revisiting the area once per week for more cleaning. The later cleanings will be
easier and faster, and you can emphasize different areas every week, and rotate around, to keep all the areas in good shape.
-b) Always dust and sweep/vacuum once a week. Even if you can't see it, it is there.
-c) For porcelain tile floors, there's a product called Grout-Eez that really does work to remove all the dirt from both the grout lines and tiles. Follow the directions. Get a long-handled grout brush and a long-handled scrub brush, and it goes quite quickly. Damp mop afterwards with clean water to pick up any residual product. Very impressive and not that much work.
5) Secret #2: I live by myself in a fairly small house (1250 sq ft). If you have others undoing your work as you go, you will need their cooperation.

So over the course of 60 days I probably put in 45 hours of decluttering, 20 hours of cleaning, 10 hours of donations (including documenting what I donated), and 2+ hours of hazardous waste dropoffs. I made four trips to the hazardous waste dump with all the old computer and electronic stuff that I saved but that hasn't worked or been needed for decades. At this point there will still be more time needed to pack and donate and trash for the move. It's a big deal. I can see why people stay in their house forever.
Like good comrades to the utmost of their strength, we shall go on to the end. -- Winston Churchill
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

tooluser wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:21 pm Cleaning and decluttering the house:
2) Make lists of the major things to do, and start knocking it out: Keep, Donate, Trash (and Sell if you are so inclined)
3) Decluttering
-a) Go room by room (Sorry, Marie Kondo!) Don't put off decisions by moving things to another room for later. Many rooms required more than one day to declutter. Start with a closet or a drawer or a corner, and don't backslide by putting more stuff in partially decluttered rooms.
-b) Group like things (e.g. kitchen, memorabilia, files). Put them in boxes together or at least in the same pile or drawer together.
-c) Once you have a clear area, you can very carefully and temporarily store some things there (e.g. clothes from 3 different closets) but you need to get them out of there as soon as possible.
-d) Commit to 30-60 minutes a day. Put it on your calendar! It is both a physically and mentally draining task, so take no more time unless you feel like it.
-e) Use the lists to check off things you get done. A list of all your rooms (with columns for decluttering and cleaning), a list of things you know need to be trashed (regular, recycling, hazardous), things to donate.
4) Cleaning:
-a) Once an area is decluttered, clean it fairly deeply. Then commit to revisiting the area once per week for more cleaning. The later cleanings will be
easier and faster, and you can emphasize different areas every week, and rotate around, to keep all the areas in good shape.
-b) Always dust and sweep/vacuum once a week. Even if you can't see it, it is there.
-c) For porcelain tile floors, there's a product called Grout-Eez that really does work to remove all the dirt from both the grout lines and tiles. Follow the directions. Get a long-handled grout brush and a long-handled scrub brush, and it goes quite quickly. Damp mop afterwards with clean water to pick up any residual product. Very impressive and not that much work.
5) Secret #2: I live by myself in a fairly small house (1250 sq ft). If you have others undoing your work as you go, you will need their cooperation.

So over the course of 60 days I probably put in 45 hours of decluttering, 20 hours of cleaning, 10 hours of donations (including documenting what I donated), and 2+ hours of hazardous waste dropoffs. I made four trips to the hazardous waste dump with all the old computer and electronic stuff that I saved but that hasn't worked or been needed for decades. At this point there will still be more time needed to pack and donate and trash for the move. It's a big deal. I can see why people stay in their house forever.
Wow tooluser! You don't fool around! What a great "How-To" on decluttering and cleaning :D

Yeah, not sure Marie Kondo would approve, I mean, did you take each item in your hand and ask: "Does this spark joy?" Did you keep only that which brings you joy, that "spoke to your heart," then "take the plunge and discard all the rest." :wink: (Kondo, pg. 41-42)

That's OK - what's important is that you got it DONE! You shoveled it all out in a short time and kept what you needed, and now you're on your way to enjoy your new retirement adventures. We hope you have a long, wonderful, decluttered retirement :D
Keeneland

Post by Keeneland »

This is my first time posting -- hope I'm doing this right.

I begin retirement tomorrow: 9/1/22. I've worked for the same Fortune 100 global healthcare company for 33+ years. Only job prior to that was U.S. Navy. My age is 59; same for my wife, who was stay-at-home Mom and is now Super Volunteer.

I read Common Sense on Mutual Funds when it was first published in 1999 and have been a big fan of John Bogle ever since. For actual retirement planning, I've leaned heavily on Wade Fau's Retirement Planning Guidebook and the related Retirement Researcher website. I also took a Wondrium course given by Dana Anspach that was very helpful.

We have no big plans for Retirement. And that's OK. We enjoy the simple life. But like so many others, I'm searching for purpose/meaning. I expect the next several months to be a time of discovery. Could be exciting!

From a practical perspective, I'm rolling over my 401K and re-balancing the combined after tax and pre tax portfolios. The information contained on this blog is very helpful. The biggest takeaway for me has been that I have a much lower percent allocation to international and emerging markets than what is recommended by many others, including Vanguard's Time Varying Asset Allocation, which now is set to:

19% US Stock
28% International Stock
32% US Bond
21% International Bond

Reference: https://investor.vanguard.com/investor- ... ic-economy

I'm nowhere close to that International exposure. But I'll have opportunity to do some significant re-balancing with acceptable capital gains costs. This will mostly come from sale of Wellesley Income Fund in the taxable account. My cost basis is surprisingly high, which I figured out was due to so much growth coming from reinvested interest/dividends, which I've already paid the tax on! I took an overly conservative approach following 2008, using Wellesley as the primary investment vehicle. It's a great fund but doesn't belong in my taxable account.

Thanks for holding a place for me in the Class of 2022 Roll Call!
Last edited by Keeneland on Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Runyer wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:45 am Hello Class of 2022!

Just returned from my six weeks out west enjoying the great outdoors. Great trip with lots of memories, but I’m happy to be home. Since retiring the end of June, people have been asking me “How’s retirement”? My answer: I really don’t know as I’ve really been on an extended vacation. I’m ready to settle in and see what it’s really like. I will say that this is the first vacation I’ve ever taken that I didn’t get up early, read and respond to my work emails and make return phone calls. That was a welcome and awesome change so far!

Now I’m home and catching up with people we haven’t seen or spoken with for six weeks. It’s a pretty good start to my transition to retirement. In fact, I would suggest a good transition like this (six weeks of vacation or more) leading into retirement. It seems to have taken away that sudden feeling of what am I going to do since I’m not going to work the next day. I have plenty to do for awhile at home to keep me busy!
Thanks so much for your retirement update! Sounds like you really enjoyed being free to have a work-free vacation and a stress-free time 8-) Agree it's a good transition leading into retirement, especially for those who feel like "a man without a country" the day after retiring. We hope you continue to find pleasure in retirement as you tackle all the home projects waiting for you!

PS - How's your stash of bourbon holding out? :mrgreen:
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Newby61 wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:14 pm My date slipped a bit but August 1st was my last day of work. Unfortunately no package on the way out. What a great feeling to be free!
Big congratulations on your PUNCHING OUT of the rat race - package or not! We hope your retirement is everything you hoped for 8-)
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

MastersChampion wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:57 pm I'm happy to be joining the Class of 2022 on September 1, 2022. That's my last day after working in engineering for 38+ years, starting as a co-op student in 1984.

DW will retire on or about October 1. We'll both be 57 and married 30 years.
I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve.
Welcome to this Wonderful Retirement Class of 2022, MastersChampion! You're on the Roll Call and starting out on a truly awesome time of life :D Working in engineering for 38+ years was also a truly awesome time of life! So from one to another, who could ask for more . . .

We wish you all the best in these years to come and hope your retirement is everything you wish for. Please let us know what you're doing and how all your planning worked out. These are exciting times for you and your wife :D
iluvzbeach

Post by iluvzbeach »

My date has slipped from November 2 to November 10 but formal notice has been given, so it should stick. Counting down the weeks and eager to join the rest of this year’s retirees.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Kenkat wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:09 pm I suppose it is time for me to get on the list - I retired on July 22 at age 58 and it seems like it’s going to stick one month in! Can’t imagine going back to be honest :D
Hi Kenkat! What a pleasure to welcome you to this Most Illustrious and Highly Acclaimed Retirement Roll Call! You're now a prominent member of the Great Class of 2022 - congratulations :D

And now that you've been retired for over a month, the reality must be setting in that you won't have to PUNCH IN anymore - although to be fair, you will likely need to punch in for home repairs, decluttering (remember the garage? 8-) ), family gatherings and perhaps dish washing, and well, you know the routine.

Our only request is that you don't head off on some wild adventure, leaving us stranded here, adrift in the sea of bonds and portfolio management :annoyed and if you do go off on some wild adventure, at least check in regularly, you know, every hour or so :happy
We wish you a long, happy, healthy, wealthy retirement filled with all good things. Please keep us posted. :sharebeer
Mybuterrier

Post by Mybuterrier »

Retired May 2022 after a 42 year career (shift work ) in power generation
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

DinoNerd wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:32 pm I retired in January of this year (2022). I'll be 65 two months from now. (i.e. I retired at 64.)

I might have said so earlier, but I've only just discovered boggleheads.

On the other hand, I've been some kind of Bogglehead for several decades. I just didn't know the name. (I could count it from when I first discovered the efficient market hypothesis, or from when I bought my first shares of a Vanguard index fund, or several other milestones.) :)
Welcome to the Bogleheads, DinoNerd! and a big welcome also to this Fantabulous Retirement Roll Call - you're in the Class of 2022 :beer

You're in for a treat as a Boglehead! Here is the link to our Calendar of Events which gives you the calendar for most of our virtual online local chapter meetings, in-person meetings, as well as the Bogleheads Live Podcasts. Here is the link for the Virtual Online Chapter Presentations which give you the links to the YouTube videos & slides as well as the transcripts of the meetings.

I must add that all these are made possible by Bogleheads who volunteer their time to set up, host and record the meetings, then transcribe the transcripts - it takes about 6-10 hours to transcribe each transcript :shock: and most of this has been done by long-time Boglehead Barry Barnitz. Needless to say, volunteers are appreciated!

We wish you a wonderful retirement, DinoNerd, and please keep us posted how everything is going 8-)
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Keeneland wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:55 am This is my first time posting -- hope I'm doing this right.
Welcome to the Bogleheads, Keeneland! Yes - you're doing everything right :D Actually, we have no rules, we just make it up as we go along, LOL :mrgreen:
Keeneland wrote:I begin retirement tomorrow: 9/1/22.
And a BIG welcome to this Most Awesome Retirement Class of 2022 - you're on the Retirement Roll Call :beer
Keeneland wrote:I've worked for the same Fortune 100 global healthcare company for 33+ years. Only job prior to that was U.S. Navy. My age is 59; same for my wife, who was stay-at-home Mom and is now Super Volunteer. . . .

We have no big plans for Retirement. And that's OK. We enjoy the simple life. But like so many others, I'm searching for purpose/meaning. I expect the next several months to be a time of discovery. Could be exciting!
For sure, not necessary to have Big Plans for Retirement - I mean, just relaxing and enjoying the day is a wonderful way to begin this next phase of life and to decompress from a working life in a large corporation.

"Searching for meaning and purpose when we retire" is a real thing for many people. You may find this Bogleheads presentation with Jill Steinberg, "Successful Retirement from Retiring to Rewiring," (Nov. 13, 2021) interesting. Also take a look at these two Bogleheads Life Stage chapters threads for other meetings -
Pre-Retirement/Early Retirement Life Stage Virtual Chapter Master Thread
Retirement Life Stage Virtual Chapter Master Thread

Keeneland wrote:I read Common Sense on Mutual Funds when it was first published in 1999 and have been a big fan of John Bogle ever since. For actual retirement planning, I've leaned heavily on Wade Pfau's Retirement Planning Guidebook and the related Retirement Researcher website. I also took a Wondrium course given by Dana Anspach that was very helpful.
It all looks good to me - you certainly learned a lot and benefitted from the best :beer
Keeneland wrote:From a practical perspective, I'm rolling over my 401K and re-balancing the combined after tax and pre tax portfolios. The information contained on this blog is very helpful. The biggest takeaway for me has been that I have a much lower percent allocation to international and emerging markets than what is recommended by many others, including Vanguard's Time Varying Asset Allocation, which now is set to:

19% US Stock
28% International Stock
32% US Bond
21% International Bond

Reference: https://investor.vanguard.com/investor- ... ic-economy

I'm nowhere close to that International exposure. But I'll have opportunity to do some significant re-balancing with acceptable capital gains costs. This will mostly come from sale of Wellesley Income Fund in the taxable account. My cost basis is surprisingly high, which I figured out was due to so much growth coming from reinvested interest/dividends, which I've already paid the tax on! I took an overly conservative approach following 2008, using Wellesley as the primary investment vehicle. It's a great fund but doesn't belong in my taxable account.
I know for a fact LOL - you're not the only Boglehead who has a smaller-than-recommended percent in international stocks and bonds. Not only that, I still own Wellington (the Wellesley twin) in my taxable account :mrgreen: You can post your portfolio on the Forum - then hold onto your chair as it gets analyzed :beer
Keeneland wrote:Thanks for holding a place for me in the Class of 2022 Roll Call!
You're welcome! We wish you a wonderful retirement full of new adventures, a full portfolio, fun with family and friends, and good health all the way around!
desiderium

Post by desiderium »

tooluser wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:21 pm
Miriam2 wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:41 am
Thank you, Miriam2, for doing a great job in these "Class" threads. It's great to know that one is not alone, and to get some sense of how it goes for others. Thanks also to all the Bogleheads since 2008 when I started reading the site (but only joined in 2011). So much good advice on a wide range of topics!

Cleaning and decluttering the house:
3) Decluttering
4) Cleaning:

I'm 2 months in and I can't say I've been anywhere near this productive. Congratulations on your retirement and best of luck on your upcoming adventures.
jjunk

Post by jjunk »

Sadly you can pull me off the list. We decided to do the dreaded 'one more year' and will shoot for next year. Congrats to all the graduates this year still. I hope to join you soon. :sharebeer
typical.investor

Post by typical.investor »

Took time off from Jan 1st and was supposed to return in April but didn't make the deadline and so now am retired at 54 I guess. On the other hand, I left to support a disabled child who left/got kick out of their support program and had no place to live so we found a place to live together until we could get support up and running which didn't happen as planned.

The weather is pleasant here and we get a nice breeze. Would prefer to be working I think but just can't find any time for it. Spouse is still at it overseas but she insisted the child relocate to the States a few years ago and so here I am because he couldn't survive on his own without an unacceptable amount of drama. Not what I'd planned but I can deal with it.

Was kind of sad to say goodbye. They thought I was there to say I'm back. Don't miss the external impositions that work involves at all though, especially the pointless, ill-informed and unproductive ones.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

iluvzbeach wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:27 pm My date has slipped from November 2 to November 10 but formal notice has been given, so it should stick. Counting down the weeks and eager to join the rest of this year’s retirees.
Thanks for letting us know, keep it sticking :D
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Mybuterrier wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 3:03 pm Retired May 2022 after a 42 year career (shift work ) in power generation
Wow, now that's quite an accomplishment! You really deserve this wonderful retirement and we hope it is everything you want it to be :D Please keep us posted on all your adventures!
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

jjunk wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:07 am Sadly you can pull me off the list. We decided to do the dreaded 'one more year' and will shoot for next year. Congrats to all the graduates this year still. I hope to join you soon. :sharebeer
Ok, you're off the list for this year - but don't panic! One More Year can bring good things :happy and this year is almost over anyway - so you're still closer to retirement than you were. Looking forward to having you join the retirement class that works best for you!
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

typical.investor wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:53 am Took time off from Jan 1st and was supposed to return in April but didn't make the deadline and so now am retired at 54 I guess. On the other hand, I left to support a disabled child who left/got kick out of their support program and had no place to live so we found a place to live together until we could get support up and running which didn't happen as planned.

The weather is pleasant here and we get a nice breeze. Would prefer to be working I think but just can't find any time for it. Spouse is still at it overseas but she insisted the child relocate to the States a few years ago and so here I am because he couldn't survive on his own without an unacceptable amount of drama. Not what I'd planned but I can deal with it.

Was kind of sad to say goodbye. They thought I was there to say I'm back. Don't miss the external impositions that work involves at all though, especially the pointless, ill-informed and unproductive ones.
Hi typical.investor! and welcome to the Retirement Class for 2022 :happy Doesn't matter how you got here - we've had Bogleheads retire by accident, so retiring by failing to meet the work deadline is perfectly fine with us! We hope everything turns out well for you and your child, and that you continue to enjoy your retirement for many, many years. Please check in with us :beer
Barkingsparrow

Post by Barkingsparrow »

OK, please remove me from list for this year. At this point, it *might* be end of 2023. Worse case, it will be summer 2024. My wife is a bit upset that I'm delaying but there's some good underlying reasons for the delay - primarily - health care, and the need to get to Medicare for both of us.
Serie1926

Post by Serie1926 »

Retired this past Friday!

Took The EVO out for her Sunday morning run and couldn't wipe the smile off my face!

I'm barley into this retirement thing for a day and it's far far underrated :)
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Barkingsparrow wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:26 am OK, please remove me from list for this year. At this point, it *might* be end of 2023. Worse case, it will be summer 2024. My wife is a bit upset that I'm delaying but there's some good underlying reasons for the delay - primarily - health care, and the need to get to Medicare for both of us.
OK Barkingsparrow, updates noted 8-) Health care is certainly a big issue and getting to Medicare is certainly a big help in the retirement decision. Let us know when you want back on the Roll Call. Good luck in your decision and in the coming year!
cockersx3

Post by cockersx3 »

cockersx3 wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 9:23 am OK, I'm calling it. Put me down for retirement on 30 September 2022. Currently working in an all-remote position that has mostly been very very light (ie less than 5 hrs/week max), but the workload is likely to dramatically increase over the summer. Unfortunately for my employer (but fortunately for me :beer ), this extended downtime has made me realize that I really enjoy having my time to myself! I've picked up a few new hobbies after having been a workaholic for so many years, and I've even become a "band dad" (ie officer in the band booster group) to support my kid's favorite activity at school. Seriously regret not having made the time to do this sooner! Better late than never, I guess....

For me, "retirement" will mean the end of needing to work on things I don't want to do. I don't think I will quit working entirely - can definitely see some potential for future consulting work in my field, provided that it's a project I want to do, and it's with people I want to work with, and it doesn't preclude me from spending time on my hobbies and volunteer work. And if a "unicorn" opportunity like that doesn't materialize, that's fine with me!

I'll be 49.9 years old at that point, so can say that I was able to retire before 50 :-) Just gotta power through the summer to avoid needing to pay back the starting bonus they gave me when I started this job. I think I can manage - only 4 months, but will be taking vacation for a month of that. And besides, the starting bonus wasn't *that* large if I decide to pull the plug earlier!

Looking forward to embarking on the journey with you all!
Just wanted to drop in and say that I made it! Mailed back my laptop as planned on 30 September. I'm freeeeeeeeee!

Have to say - definitely feels very surreal so far. In the words of Bob Dole, and paraphrasing since I can't find his exact words on that last day of his presidential campaign in 1996: "For the first time in a long, long time, I woke up and didn't have anything I had to do." That said, I'm finding that I am still trying to stay productive with housework / chores / etc during the day, to the point that I feel busier during the day now than before I left. And of course, it's marching band season so.....lots to do there too! Hoping that I can dial back that urge to keep busy over the next few weeks and months and re-learn how to relax...

On the financial front - I was expecting to feel a bit nervous with the stock market going nuts, but - not feeling anything at all, really. I've got several years of savings in cash & short-term bonds, so what the market is doing at any given moment is not something I have to worry about for now I think. Ultimately I know that I spent lots of time reviewing, and re-reviewing, and re-re-reviewing my financial plan and decided it was good - so now I'm going to trust the plan and move on to other things to worry about LOL.

Looking forward to hearing more from others on their retirement journey!
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Serie1926 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:02 am Retired this past Friday!

Took The EVO out for her Sunday morning run and couldn't wipe the smile off my face!

I'm barley into this retirement thing for a day and it's far far underrated :)
Congratulations Serie1926 on punching out and joining this Fabulous Retirement Class of 2022 - You're on the Retirement Roll Call! :D

We hope "this retirement thing" keeps you smiling! We wish you a very long and enjoyable retirement full of all good things and great fun :beer
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

cockersx3 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:05 am
cockersx3 wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 9:23 am OK, I'm calling it. Put me down for retirement on 30 September 2022. Currently working in an all-remote position that has mostly been very very light (ie less than 5 hrs/week max), but the workload is likely to dramatically increase over the summer. Unfortunately for my employer (but fortunately for me :beer ), this extended downtime has made me realize that I really enjoy having my time to myself! I've picked up a few new hobbies after having been a workaholic for so many years, and I've even become a "band dad" (ie officer in the band booster group) to support my kid's favorite activity at school. Seriously regret not having made the time to do this sooner! Better late than never, I guess....

For me, "retirement" will mean the end of needing to work on things I don't want to do. I don't think I will quit working entirely - can definitely see some potential for future consulting work in my field, provided that it's a project I want to do, and it's with people I want to work with, and it doesn't preclude me from spending time on my hobbies and volunteer work. And if a "unicorn" opportunity like that doesn't materialize, that's fine with me!

I'll be 49.9 years old at that point, so can say that I was able to retire before 50 :-) Just gotta power through the summer to avoid needing to pay back the starting bonus they gave me when I started this job. I think I can manage - only 4 months, but will be taking vacation for a month of that. And besides, the starting bonus wasn't *that* large if I decide to pull the plug earlier!

Looking forward to embarking on the journey with you all!
Just wanted to drop in and say that I made it! Mailed back my laptop as planned on 30 September. I'm freeeeeeeeee!

Have to say - definitely feels very surreal so far. In the words of Bob Dole, and paraphrasing since I can't find his exact words on that last day of his presidential campaign in 1996: "For the first time in a long, long time, I woke up and didn't have anything I had to do." That said, I'm finding that I am still trying to stay productive with housework / chores / etc during the day, to the point that I feel busier during the day now than before I left. And of course, it's marching band season so.....lots to do there too! Hoping that I can dial back that urge to keep busy over the next few weeks and months and re-learn how to relax...

On the financial front - I was expecting to feel a bit nervous with the stock market going nuts, but - not feeling anything at all, really. I've got several years of savings in cash & short-term bonds, so what the market is doing at any given moment is not something I have to worry about for now I think. Ultimately I know that I spent lots of time reviewing, and re-reviewing, and re-re-reviewing my financial plan and decided it was good - so now I'm going to trust the plan and move on to other things to worry about LOL.

Looking forward to hearing more from others on their retirement journey!
Thank you so much for dropping in and sharing your first days in retirement! I'm sure many appreciate your thoughts and feelings :beer

"Lots to do during the day" - you can say that again! - especially tackling all that stuff that sat in piles while you worked. Enjoy your marching band season, keep those trumpets shined and those drums in sync, clean out the garage and the closets, try out new experiences, remember your friends and family and set up regular lunches and zoom get-togethers, and enjoy the Bogleheads forum. We wish you the best retirement 8-)
LiveSimple

Post by LiveSimple »

No plans yet to retire in 2022, so please boot me out, will join a later class... :D
Invest when you have the money, sell when you need the money, for real life expenses...
trallium

Post by trallium »

In May I filed my retirement paperwork.

In July I had my last day of service and retirement party.

In August I officially retired.

Today I finally got my pension calculation. I should get a pension next month, and retro pay for Aug, Sep and October in 15 days! What a process.
Colorado14

Post by Colorado14 »

Dear Miriam, Please add me to the 2022 roll call!

My last day of work will be December 9 and I will be 54 years old. To say that I am excited is an understatement. I am looking forward to having a more flexible schedule and having more time for adventures, including 3 trips that we have planned for 2023. The focus of the trips will be biking, hiking and kayaking adventures in the U.S and abroad. Also, it will be such a treat to enjoy the holiday season without having to juggle work and festivities.

I am fortunate that medical/dental/vision insurance is covered at a low cost by my retired spouse. While we're not as wealthy as some on these forums, we have been super savers and believe this is the right time for retirement. Firecalc etc. indicate that we have plenty of resources to cover expenses, yet this decision has still been somewhat nerve wracking. Reading these forums has taught me that the "second guessing" is fairly common. However, we are confident that our financial house is in order and know there is always more to learn. These forums have taught me so much and have been the voice of reason throughout the years. Thanks to all for sharing wisdom and insights.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

LiveSimple wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 1:23 pm No plans yet to retire in 2022, so please boot me out, will join a later class... :D
OK LiveSimple, we'll boot you out - you know how to find us when your R-day plans change :happy
ExPatKiwi

Post by ExPatKiwi »

I haven't submitted my retirement request yet and I'm down to the wire! To be honest I'm scared as hell.

The current market doesn't worry me but I feel this is like sky diving when you jump out the plane and hope the parachute will open and will I have a soft landing. I'm in a very well-paying job and I know that retiring early at 58yo it's unlikely I'll ever get anything like it again that pays as well.

All my spreadsheeting and firecalc runs show I'm good to go FIRE. But "my" retirement plan requires me to take the 7 figure pension lump sum and invest it. If I don't do it this year then the lump sum is not worth it and I'll need to work an additional 5 to 7 years to make the annuity option worth it.

Decisions, decisions :? :!:
Counting down to retirement.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

trallium wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:04 pm In May I filed my retirement paperwork.

In July I had my last day of service and retirement party.

In August I officially retired.

Today I finally got my pension calculation. I should get a pension next month, and retro pay for Aug, Sep and October in 15 days! What a process.
Wow trallium! You made it! and with a whopping pension and retro pay! With what you went through, you deserve every penny :D We hope you have a really wonderful retirement, please keep us posted on what you're doing and not doing LOL!

Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Colorado14 wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:22 am Dear Miriam, Please add me to the 2022 roll call!

My last day of work will be December 9 and I will be 54 years old. To say that I am excited is an understatement. I am looking forward to having a more flexible schedule and having more time for adventures, including 3 trips that we have planned for 2023. The focus of the trips will be biking, hiking and kayaking adventures in the U.S and abroad. Also, it will be such a treat to enjoy the holiday season without having to juggle work and festivities.
What great adventures you have planned, Colorado14! Great way to begin this next fabulous time of life :D We added you to the 2022 Retirement Roll Call; welcome to this Unstoppable Retirement Class of 2022 :beer
Colorado14 wrote:I am fortunate that medical/dental/vision insurance is covered at a low cost by my retired spouse. While we're not as wealthy as some on these forums, we have been super savers and believe this is the right time for retirement. Firecalc etc. indicate that we have plenty of resources to cover expenses, yet this decision has still been somewhat nerve wracking. Reading these forums has taught me that the "second guessing" is fairly common. However, we are confident that our financial house is in order and know there is always more to learn. These forums have taught me so much and have been the voice of reason throughout the years. Thanks to all for sharing wisdom and insights.
Nice thank-you to our BH forum and all our helpful contributors. We hope you enjoy your retirement, that everything goes financially perfect for you and that all your "nerve-wracking" fears melt away. Here's the link to the Bogleheads Virtual Online Chapter Presentations where you'll find interesting and helpful zoom video meetings held during the past two years by Bogleheads Local and Life Stage Chapters - you'll find many meetings pertaining to pre-retirement and retirement issues!
:sharebeer