Machu Pichhu in June 2023

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
andyandyandy

Machu Pichhu in June 2023

Post by andyandyandy »

First of all apology as my plan changed from Greece(previous post) to Peru due to good deal on airline.
I purchased 4 tickets yesterday and plan to purchase CFAR insurance on top of my Sapphire Reserve card.

Appreciate your input on below:

With my family kids(14 &12), I plan to travel Peru. Main attraction is Machu Picchu/Inca Trail, of course.
Trip starts Friday afternoon departure and arrives Saturday 1 AM in Lima - return flight is next Saturday 11:45 PM. So about 8 days there. I know it might be a short little bit. But Kids summer classes may start so that is the best we could do! The questions and plan I have is below please critique:

• Saturday 1 AM (late night of Friday): Arrive in Lima , Go to Hotel rest (instead of Flying to Cusco in few hours in case of flight delays or have another flight in 8-10 hours)
• Saturday around noon Fly to Cusco
• Sunday - Monday : Cusco/Sacred Valley
• Tuesday - Machu Picchu /Huayna Picchu /Inca Trail 2 day- 1 night (Overnight stay)
• Wednesday Back to Sacred Valley
• Thursday - Rainbow Mountain
• Friday Morning Fly to Lima and 2 days in lima till I catch Saturday night flight- Do may be Desert Oasis tour

Questions:
• What I am missing and what overdoing?
• Is it better to stay in Sacred Valley than Cusco as Machu Picchu does not need acclimatization to heights? Or better to acclimatize to cover Rainbow mountain too?
• Are there alternatives to Rainbow Mountain if breathing is a real problem?
• We do not know Spanish – Do we really need full guided tour (problem is choice of hotels which they may skimp)
• I wanted to do Huayna Picchu too but I heard its too steep and not advisable with 12 year old with us? Is that true? If not – Can I combine it with Machu Picchu?
• Will hotels guide us for CAB drivers for around the area? Or what guided small tours can I books beforehand.
• If there is need of Oxygen in Cusco area how do we get it? I understand guide companies may have it but we are trying to get guides tour for 1 day Inca trail and Rainbow mountain only.
Will the hotel have its own Oxygen in Cusco area?
**** Need recommendations for guided Short Inca trail for Machu Picchu /Huayna Picchu

Appreciate your guidance!

Thanks a lot!
Californiastate

Re: Machu Pichhu in June 2023

Post by Californiastate »

We had a couple family members travel there last year. They are from CO so the elevation change to Cusco and above wasn't that dramatic. IIRC they did take Diamox for the 30 mile section of the Inca trail because of the 13k foot sections. IIRC Cusco itself is over 11k. I myself wouldn't do it without acclimating at altitude a few weeks before the trip. I live at sea level.
Chip

Re: Machu Picchu in June 2023

Post by Chip »

We did the 4 day hike several years ago. Prior to the hike I believe we spent an one night in Lima then flew to Cusco and went directly to the Sacred Valley for a couple of days. Then back to Cusco for an overnight before starting the hike.

The altitude was quite noticeable in Cusco especially when arriving from Lima. Not so much coming back from the Sacred Valley.

I think it's possible to get altitude sickness everywhere you'll be in the Andes as all of those places are over 8k feet. I'm not sure that oxygen is something that helps. In any event, we didn't need it and didn't look for it in any location. We took the Diamox mentioned above as a preventive measure since the highest pass on the 4 day hike was nearly 14k feet.

We arrived at the Sun Gate at sunrise on the 4th day then proceeded into Machu Picchu. After a half day tour we'd seen enough. Some of our group (including a reasonably athletic 14 year old) then climbed Huayna Picchu. They reported it as being very steep, requiring climbing with both hands and feet. Probably less the 50% of that group thought it was "worth it".

Sorry but I don't have any recommendations on guides. Two of our group were Peru natives; they made all the arrangements.
Case59

Post by Case59 »

I traveled to Peru last May with my oldest daughter (40) and granddaughter (19). We live in different cities at elevation 1000-2500 feet. We took AS prescription medication and didn't have a lot of problem in Cusco. My daughter did buy a tourist bottle of oxygen (available at hotels and shops for something like 10 US) and found an occasional puff helpful. I would suggest not passing on Cusco--beautiful, interesting, great food, and the remaining Incan fortress walls of Sacsayhuamann outside the town are fascinating.

We were on a tour, so I can't really address well your other questions, but feel free to pm me if you want to ask anything specific.

We were there two weeks, loved it, and would go back in a minute.
"Most quotations on the internet are incorrect."-Mark Twain
Topic Author
andyandyandy

Post by andyandyandy »

Thank you so much for the replies!
Appreciate it!
Topic Author
andyandyandy

Post by andyandyandy »

I guess I got a Hiccup -
To book Inca trail passports are needed. But my kids passports expire in July 2023- travel is in June
I read Peru won't allow you if your passport is has less than 6 month expiry.
Any suggestions? (I may not like to apply now as in December India travel and not sure if we can apply as expiry is 9 months away)

Thanks!
tfunk

Post by tfunk »

andyandyandy wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:53 pm I guess I got a Hiccup -
To book Inca trail passports are needed. But my kids passports expire in July 2023- travel is in June
I read Peru won't allow you if your passport is has less than 6 month expiry.
Any suggestions? (I may not like to apply now as in December India travel and not sure if we can apply as expiry is 9 months away)

Thanks!
I applied one year before expiration to avoid a similar issue with future travel. I would pay the extra for expedited passport renewal. India e-visa is very fast so you should have enough time if you renew right away.
Topic Author
andyandyandy

Post by andyandyandy »

Thank you ,appreciate! Talked to a travel agency and they confirmed passport number can be updated.
I asked the documented proof of change of passport procedure- they sent me their software video which shows passport can be updated for Inca trail.

I guess on top of it we can carry old passport along with (if law permits it).
tfunk

Post by tfunk »

We returned from Peru this past August.

Airport Transport: We used a company called Taxidatum. We used them round trip plus a day tour over in Cusco. Very reliable and reasonable. We paid $18 Lima airport to Miraflores. The driver waits at the airport with your name on a sign. Hotels wanted around $40 for the same service. Only two of us so we used a car. The company also has vans for larger groups and luggage. Check their Tripadvisor reviews. Thousands of 5 star reviews.

Cusco is 11,500 feet elevation. Our tour took us over to Ollantaytambo. Taxidatum $34 for a car. At 9,100 feet, it was easier to get used to the altitude. We did take diamox for two days. Not sure how much it helped but we stopped since it is a diuretic and we had to go constantly. Coca tea in the morning seemed to help. Every hotel had that available. That being said, two or three of our tour group of 27 did get ill from the altitude and had to skip a couple of activities. We are 70 years old and did not need oxygen.

From Ollantaytambo, we took the 1 1/2 hour train ride to Aguas Calientes where we met the buses to go up to Machu Picchu. We had bus reservations but the line was huge when we got there at 10:30am. If we would have gone on our own I think I would rather spend the night in Aguas Calientes so we could get on one of the early buses and beat the tour groups arriving by train.

Aguas Calientes is totally tourist and expensive. As a matter of fact all the Machu Picchu items are expensive and need to be reserved well in advance. I think the train was around $140 R/T; the 20 minute bus ride to Machu Picchu is $24 R/T (you could walk down and save $12); entry fee to Machu Picchu is around $45. A guide would be extra. We did not do the extra hike which also requires a reservation.

After touring Machu Picchu, you could take the afternoon train all the way back to Cusco or just to Ollantaytambo and have a van take you to Cusco the next day. Be sure to take the time to see the Ollantaytambo ruins. Very impressive.

We enjoyed Cusco. Central Market, Central Plaza, Temple of the Sun. We also took a taxi ride (Taxidatum again for $34) and toured 4 additional ruins on the outskirts of Cusco. We decided not to do Rainbow Mountain due to time constraints.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

I'd allow more time to adjust to the altitude before the hike. It is no joke. I would stay in Cusco.
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

Coming from colorado i felt nothing of the altitude. But my traveling companion from sea level didnt either.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

hunoraut wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:11 pm Coming from colorado i felt nothing of the altitude. But my traveling companion from sea level didnt either.
Yep. There are anecdotes on both sides.

My understanding is it is difficult to predict how one will react. I didn't experience altitude sickness, but I did enjoy the hike less because I was not acclimated. Basically, everything was noticeably more difficult.
travelnut11

Post by travelnut11 »

Altitude sickness is a funny thing. It affects some people, not others. Sometimes it will affect you one time but not a different time. You really just never know. I spent 2 months in Peru about 15 years ago and for me the altitude makes me sleepy and not much else. I would recommend lots of rest, lots of water and avoid alcohol until you're acclimatized. I did not know supplemental oxygen is a thing but seems unnecessary to me if you take reasonable precautions. Interestingly on a trip to the jungle from Cusco (where we were actually descending) a Frenchwoman became completely incoherent due to the altitude. We had to go up in altitude to go down due the topography and she was just completely out of it. Everyone was freaked out but the guide said she'll be fine as soon as we get lower and he was right. It was the strangest thing. So I'd be careful with this unless you want to ruin your vacation.

I know Lima has become trendy in recent years but if it were me I'd swap out the Lima time for Lake Titicaca (Puno and/or floating islands of Uros) or Arequipa. Have a great trip!
Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrowmindedness ...and many of our people need it solely on these accounts. - Mark Twain | | Life is either a daring adventure or it is nothing. - Helen Keller
Chuckles960

Post by Chuckles960 »

June is very cold, is it not?
tfunk

Post by tfunk »

Chuckles960 wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:27 pm June is very cold, is it not?
At 13 degrees latitude, the temperature is about the same year round. June-September (their winter) is preferred due to less rain. We went in August. The forecast was for rain but we ended up with a beautiful day at Machu Picchu.
Topic Author
andyandyandy

Post by andyandyandy »

Thank you so much for all your replies! Helps a lot!!

Quick question:
Should I really pay 50% 8 months in advance for Inca trail for 4 people (about $1200) to guide the company? Or just reserve the Machu Pichhu + Hyuana Picchu myself and negotiate price with the guide company where I have the tickets. Does the ticket for Machu Pichhu also cover ticket for Inca trail?

This site is suggested just to buy tickets I found:

https://www.ticketmachupicchu.com/price ... ng_from_us
stocknoob4111

Post by stocknoob4111 »

The Inca trail is a lot longer than 2 days... and it requires a permit (at least it did). I did a variant called the Inca Jungle trail in 2011 which was shorter and that was 4 or 5 days if I recall and it's fairly strenuous as it's high altitude trekking.

Entrance to Macchu Pichu is a separate thing as most tourists go there via a train. When you trek you go up the mountain via a ton of steps.

Huayana Pichu is a very hairy climb... I opted not to do it as I was quite exhausted from hiking for 5 days and the trek up is very narrow.

Whether altitude affects you in Cuzco is hard to tell in advance, I was fine but at the time I was living in Quito (Ecuador) which is at 9000+ feet so already acclimated.
Topic Author
andyandyandy

Post by andyandyandy »

stocknoob4111 wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:46 pm The Inca trail is a lot longer than 2 days... and it requires a permit (at least it did). I did a variant called the Inca Jungle trail in 2011 which was shorter and that was 4 or 5 days if I recall and it's fairly strenuous as it's high altitude trekking.

Entrance to Macchu Pichu is a separate thing as most tourists go there via a train. When you trek you go up the mountain via a ton of steps.

Huayana Pichu is a very hairy climb... I opted not to do it as I was quite exhausted from hiking for 5 days and the trek up is very narrow.
Thanks! I see lot on internet saying short Inca trail which even can be done in 1 day but tour companies are offering 2 day with overnight stay as well, link below:

https://www.incatrailmachu.com/en/short-inca-trail-trek
tfunk

Post by tfunk »

andyandyandy wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:25 pm Thank you so much for all your replies! Helps a lot!!

Quick question:
Should I really pay 50% 8 months in advance for Inca trail for 4 people (about $1200) to guide the company? Or just reserve the Machu Pichhu + Hyuana Picchu myself and negotiate price with the guide company where I have the tickets. Does the ticket for Machu Pichhu also cover ticket for Inca trail?

This site is suggested just to buy tickets I found:

https://www.ticketmachupicchu.com/price ... ng_from_us
I would suggest you do a lot of searching with Google to find this level of detail. For instance, you ask - does the ticket cover the Inca Trail. Actually, the full Inca Trail is 26 miles and requires a 4 day guided hike. Not sure you are really looking for that. I think some companies may run a 1 day portion of that hike. There are many options. Not sure, but you may be required to have a guide. I know that once you are inside, you cannot reverse course and the walk is one way. Mostly downhill without the side hike to the top of Hyuana Picchu. Even if not required, a guide would be very helpful. From the time we entered, we were inside for about 3 hours.

An interesting side note. When we were there our guide said they were allowing 3,500 per day into Machu Picchu. That was up from 2,500 per day during Covid. He said they were going to up it to 4,000 per day and then possibly up to a maximum of 5,000 per day by next year. To me, there were a lot of people there. At the main picture taking spot there was one group of about 100 people that were taking endless pictures of different combinations of their group. It took a lot of moving around to get a picture without any people in it. For this reason, I would recommend being on the first bus of the day. Evan at that, hikers from the Inca Trail will already be up there.
Topic Author
andyandyandy

Post by andyandyandy »

Agree there are 4 days Inca trail for 26 miles.

2 days is also there like:
https://www.tripadvisor.com/AttractionP ... egion.html
crefwatch

Post by crefwatch »

Although we were over 55, and took our prescription for more than 2 days (make sure you understand the instructions your Travel Doctor gives for pre-arrival administration), we had to rest every 20 stair-steps at Macchu Picchu itself. Your schedule sounds a bit rushed for what is a strenuous trip, even without hiking. Is the hiking stay in tents? Does the hiking party carry oxygen? How far do you and your children regularly walk on hikes (or city walking) at home? Who is it who wants to do "the Inca trail"?

While Peru is quite "ready for tourists", this is not simply like heading for Paris or London for six nights. Your question about paying in advance or haggling with a guide company are alarming to me. More impartially, it suggests that you need to do more systematic research, at a public library with printed guidebooks, or detailed blogs online, not just a newsboard. We were glad to be on a small-group guided tour, where everything was planned for us. We are usually independent travelers, but there is a less-developed country aspect to Peru that has to be recognized. (In fairness, the Lima airport makes LGA look like a dump.) Products like the train to Macchu Picchu tend to be 100% full for every departure.

I can't say what it's like today, but morning starts were very early, even at luxury hotels, where the multi-station breakfast buffets began at 5 or 5:30, and the check-out-time can be 9AM. You need to reckon with just how "far" the hotels in the gritty town of Aguas Calientes are from the actual park on the very top of the mountain. It's not like staying in Rome to visit the Vatican. I will say that our trip was paired with The Galapagos, which took some time pressure off things. And we paid a fortune to stay at the tiny hotel up on the mountain, which we did not regret a bit. I might add that both of our mornings at MP were fogged in. Like the Alps, you have no control over whether you see the sunrise or not. But the sunsets happened to be lovely.

We had no interest in queuing up for Hyuena Picchu permits, and having to return at the lottery time to do the actual climb. (Perhaps it's more of an internet thing today?) So I have no actual experience. I understood that despite being a very steep boulder scramble, it also consisted of a continuous line of people ascending and descending. It doesn't sound like fun to me, especially after approaching the site by foot hike. Your mileage may vary.
tfunk

Post by tfunk »

crefwatch wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:53 am And we paid a fortune to stay at the tiny hotel up on the mountain, which we did not regret a bit.
I am very curious about your stay at the Sanctuary Lodge at the entrance to Machu Picchu. After our long train ride, long wait for the bus, and large crowd at the entrance station - we looked longingly at the only hotel actually at the entrance to Machu Picchu. I checked online and saw the full board price was around $3,000 per night for 2 people. Were the meals good? Did you have a box lunch or just eat lunch when you returned in the afternoon. Any activities such as naturalist presentations at the lodge? It does avoid getting in line with everyone else in the cattle car but I thought it was just a little overpriced.
jodydavis

Post by jodydavis »

It's been 10 years, so take this with a grain of salt. But I didn't find Huayna Picchu to be all that bad. It looks a lot tougher than it is. Mostly a lot of steps, sometimes steep, but I never felt in danger. That said, if you don't like heights (i.e. get dizzy, etc.), then I would not recommend it. Also, it's not appropriate for really young kids. But I think many teenagers would be okay with it.

Re: altitude, I do think it makes sense to first stay in the sacred valley, if you can, to acclimate, before going to Cusco. It is really hard to predict who will get altitude sick, and it isn't always correlated with fitness, etc. We stayed in Cusco first and, although I was just short of breath, my wife got quite sick, and it was unfortunately difficult for her to enjoy parts of the vacation. Plus, there are a lot of really interesting things to see in the sacred valley (e.g. ollantaytambo, salt terraces, etc.), so you really aren't losing anything by staying there first.

Have a good trip!
HiHo

Post by HiHo »

"Is it better to stay in Sacred Valley than Cusco as Machu Picchu does not need acclimatization to heights? Or better to acclimatize to cover Rainbow mountain too?"
We stayed in Lima - Cusco - Aguas Calientes - Cusco -Lima and back to USA. We didn't have any altitude problems in Cusco.

"Will hotels guide us for CAB drivers for around the area? Or what guided small tours can I books beforehand"
"Will the hotel have its own Oxygen in Cusco area?"
We stayed in Hilton in Cusco before we went to MP. Since it was located on the hill, the city view at night was wonderful. Other than that, it was just ok. When we came back from MP to Cusco, we stayed in Sonesta Hotel. That hotel was magnificent! Professional staff, Oxygen tank (since you mentioned it.), wonderful breakfast (free) that opened at 5 AM in the morning so that we were able to eat before heading out to the Rainbow Mountain. Conveniently located in downtown Cusco. They arranged a taxi to the airport for us. If I go back to Cusco, this is the hotel we will stay again.

If there is need of Oxygen in Cusco area how do we get it? I understand guide companies may have it but we are trying to get guides tour for 1 day Inca trail and Rainbow mountain only.
Oxygen tank: most pharmacies in Cusco offer it to tourists. Also, when we went to Rainbow Mt, they brought emergency oxygen tanks with them. I think this is a common practice.

"Are there alternatives to Rainbow Mountain if breathing is a real problem?"
Rainbow Mountain : We saved this trip to the end so that we could acclimate in Cusco first. Although it was hard, we didn't have any problem. Initially we were going to book this trip well in advance, but we heard if it's raining, you wouldn't be able to see anything, and the mountain becomes muddy which is difficult and dangerous to climb. So, we made a reservation only two days before once we knew that the weather would be sunny and clear. This is an all-day trip. If the weather is bad, it's not worth to go. Don't waste your time and money. If you go and find it difficult to walk, you can always rent a horse one way or RT although you would still have to climb the last (and most difficult) section by yourself.

"We do not know Spanish – Do we really need full guided tour (problem is choice of hotels which they may skimp"
They all speak English and use Whatsapp. Shouldn't be a problem. I am sure they will come to your hotel and pick you up.

"I wanted to do Huayna Picchu too but I heard its too steep and not advisable with 12 year old with us? Is that true? If not – Can I combine it with Machu Picchu?"
We did this in 3 days. First day : Arrival by train from Cusco and MP guided tour. Second day : HP Self guide and Sun Gate. Third day : back to Cusco by train. I think HP is limited to 500 visitors per day and there is an age restriction as you mentioned. We purchased HP tickets so that we could revisit MP second day. Be careful that some section of MP trail is one way only. You cannot go back and will have to exit. I think you can re-enter,but it will be quite inconvenient. There is a buffet style restaurant just outside the entrance. Lunch was included in our train ticket. Otherwise, it was around $40 per person. In MP, we had a guide. He was a wonderful photographer and knew the best spot. So, if you are doing a guided tour, ask your guide to take some pictures for you. We skipped the Inca trail . ( HP and Sun Gate were enough.)

What I am missing and what overdoing?:
If you go in June 2023, maybe you could plan your trip to watch Inti Raymi (Sun Festival in Cusco on June 24th every year.)
Topic Author
andyandyandy

Post by andyandyandy »

HiHo wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:55 pm "Is it better to stay in Sacred Valley than Cusco as Machu Picchu does not need acclimatization to heights? Or better to acclimatize to cover Rainbow mountain too?"
We stayed in Lima - Cusco - Aguas Calientes - Cusco -Lima and back to USA. We didn't have any altitude problems in Cusco.

"Will hotels guide us for CAB drivers for around the area? Or what guided small tours can I books beforehand"
We stayed in Hilton in Cusco before we went to MP. Since it was located on the hill, the city view at night was wonderful. Other than that, it was just ok. When we came back from MP to Cusco, we stayed in Sonesta Hotel. That hotel was magnificent! Professional staff, Oxygen tank (since you mentioned it.), wonderful breakfast (free) that opened at 5 AM in the morning so that we were able to eat before heading out to the Rainbow Mountain. Conveniently located in downtown Cusco. They arranged a taxi to the airport for us. If I go back to Cusco, this is the hotel we will stay again.

If there is need of Oxygen in Cusco area how do we get it? I understand guide companies may have it but we are trying to get guides tour for 1 day Inca trail and Rainbow mountain only.
Oxygen tank: most pharmacies in Cusco offer it to tourists. Also, when we went to Rainbow Mt, they brought emergency oxygen tanks with them. I think this is a common practice.

Rainbow Mountain : We saved this trip to the end so that we could acclimate in Cusco first. Although it was hard, we didn't have any problem. Initially we were going to book this trip well in advance, but we heard if it's raining, you wouldn't be able to see anything, and the mountain becomes muddy which is difficult and dangerous to climb. So, we made a reservation only two days before once we knew that the weather would be sunny and clear. This is an all-day trip. If the weather is bad, it's not worth to go. Don't waste your time and money. If you go and find it difficult to walk, you can always rent a horse one way or RT although you would still have to climb the last (and most difficult) section by yourself.

"We do not know Spanish – Do we really need full guided tour (problem is choice of hotels which they may skimp"
They all speak English and use Whatsapp. Shouldn't be a problem. I am sure they will come to your hotel and pick you up.

"I wanted to do Huayna Picchu too but I heard its too steep and not advisable with 12 year old with us? Is that true? If not – Can I combine it with Machu Picchu?"
We did this in 3 days. First day : Arrival by train from Cusco and MP guided tour. Second day : HP Self guide and Sun Gate. Third day : back to Cusco by train. I think HP is limited to 500 visitors per day and there is an age restriction as you mentioned. We purchased HP tickets so that we could revisit MP second day. Be careful that some section of MP trail is one way only. You cannot go back and will have to exit. I think you can re-enter,but it will be quite inconvenient. There is a buffet style restaurant just outside the entrance. Lunch was included in our train ticket. Otherwise, it was around $40 per person. In MP, we had a guide. He was a wonderful photographer and knew the best spot. So, if you are doing a guided tour, ask your guide to take some pictures for you. We skipped the Inca trail . ( HP and Sun Gate were enough.)

If you go in June 2023, maybe you could plan your trip to watch Inti Raymi (Sun Festival in Cusco on June 24th every year.)
Thank you very much for great info (to all). WHere did you buy tickets from and which guide did you hire. Can I PM you?
Appreciate very much!!
HiHo

Post by HiHo »

andyandyandy wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:18 pm
HiHo wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:55 pm "Is it better to stay in Sacred Valley than Cusco as Machu Picchu does not need acclimatization to heights? Or better to acclimatize to cover Rainbow mountain too?"

Thank you very much for great info (to all). WHere did you buy tickets from and which guide did you hire. Can I PM you?
Appreciate very much!!
Sure you can ! Happy to help you. My trip was June 2019 (Pre-Covid)
Topic Author
andyandyandy

Post by andyandyandy »

Thank you!
halfnine

Post by halfnine »

If you can spend time at altitude within a week or two previous to leaving you will likely jump start your body's ability to cope at higher altitudes. Well worth the effort if you truly want to do your best to eliminate the risk of altitude sickness and its overall effect on the quality of the trip.
andyandyandy wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:30 am ...I wanted to do Huayna Picchu too but I heard its too steep and not advisable with 12 year old with us? Is that true? If not – Can I combine it with Machu Picchu?...
Depends on the 12 year old. One of my kids I wouldn't give it a second thought. My other child wouldn't be worth the risk. This is not because it would be unnerving of difficult (although it could be for some) but because of periods of absent-mindedness.
Bfwolf

Post by Bfwolf »

Hi Andy,

I was just in Peru in December and I did the 2 day Machu Picchu trail and Huayna Picchu so I hope I have something valuable to add to this conversation.

Back in December, tourism was still way down in Peru. So we had no issues with overcrowding and we were able to get a private guide for the two of us for an excellent price. The guide we used had only led something like 5 tours in all of 2021! I am sure by June it will have returned to much of its former level of tourism, so you'll surely encounter some differences in your trip than mine. I'll DM you my guide's info. I liked him, a solid 7.5 out of 10. Very responsible, knew a lot about the Incas, good English but not quite fully conversational which is my only ding on him. You could totally understand him and ask him questions and all that, but you couldn't completely and naturally converse with him in the same way you would a native English speaker. Which may be how it goes for many of the guides, I don't know. Our guide procured all the necessary permits for us. We tried to figure out how to wire him the money, but in the end agreed we'd just pay him in person.

Huayna Picchu was the part our guide was most concerned about the permits selling out in advance. I don't think this was a legitimate worry in December 2021 but I imagine it will be in June 2023. I think HP would be fine for 12 and 14 year olds if they have a little experience hiking and are not afraid of heights. There's significant exposure but it's not that harrowing. Is it worth it? Probably. You won't get better views than what you got on your hike in to the sun gate. But if you had bad weather that day, it might be nice as a second bite at the apple. It's a totally pleasant, fairly short, challenging hike with excellent views so I'd say sure, go for it. You can still leave Aguas Calientes that same day so it doesn't really "cost" you much in terms of time. However, I'm not sure you'll really want to climb HP and then do Rainbow Mountain the following day. Not that HP is a huge toll on your body, but RM seems like it's pretty challenging depending on how you do it. I'd wonder if your kids would get a little fed up with the whole thing by that point (I don't know your kids, so that's just me musing).

Besides Rainbow Mountain, the highest elevation you'll be at is Cusco. The 2 day Machu Picchu hike is at a significantly lower elevation so people comparing it to the full Inca Trail are well off the mark. But Cusco is a really high elevation so you might wish to take some medication for that. And maybe for Rainbow Mountain although by that time you should be pretty well acclimated. I do not think you should worry about getting oxygen for Cusco--if you're concerned take medication.

I like Cusco. I think it would be worth staying there and spending a day exploring the town. My absolute favorite activity I did there was the make your own chocolate workshop at the chocolate museum. You don't REALLY make your own chocolate, but you do learn a lot and get to shape chocolate yourself and then they refrigerate it to lock in the shape and you take it home with you. https://www.chocomuseo.com/peru/cusco/b ... r-workshop

Uber is available in Cusco and is an easy way to get around. You can also flag down a taxi which we did once and had no issue with it. Cusco is eminently walkable though if you are staying central. I highly recommend Allpa & Nina restaurant in Cusco. Extremely affordable and delicious.

I did not do the Sacred Valley nor Rainbow Mountain so I can't add much there. We considered Rainbow Mountain but it seemed like a pain in the butt and maybe visibility isn't always great. We also got stuck in Aguas Calientes for 2 extra days because protesting farmers damaged the train tracks, so that limited some of our time on the back end of our trip. But this is a pretty rare occurrence, I wouldn't let it affect your planning.

Let me know if you have other questions.
mnecon

Post by mnecon »

We did (with 13 and 17 yrs kids) Peru in August. Great trip. No one has mentioned the food but it is generally wonderful. They still had mask mandates on public transport, vaccine proof required for some museums/restaurants and masks in grocery stores. Saw quite a few masks in Lima on the streets less in the sacred valley and Cusco. Tourism is still not back in full and one of the big reasons is China still has a near ban on foreign travel and the Chinese were a significant part of the tourist population. That may change by June 2023.

With our experience I have a few suggestions:

1) Do a day or 2 in lima. The Catacombs have an english tour and are pretty interesting to kids. And it has its own architectural treasures of pre-Incan civilizations. Book ahead for English tours. The brick pyramids are really interesting.

2) Used the same taxi company mentioned above. Worked very well. With 4 people, much cheaper and easier than other tour options. We did 5 hours where the driver picked us up in Cusco airport and drove to a few attractions on the way to our hotel in the Sacred Valley. And another full day to get around the area attractions and then drop us at the Ollantaytambo train station.

3) Go to travel doc. Check first, only some will do Diamox for under 18 but if your kids are adult size or near adult size I would get it. As I understand it. Youngsters are more prone to headaches from altitude caused by general edema and as us oldsters have brains that have shrunk so more space for swelling. They will probably have less breathing issues from thin air however. We have lived in Denver earlier in life and observed in all of the people that visited us and went up into the mountains that you can't guess who will have altitude issues. Marathon runners get knocked sideways with headaches and fatigue. Older, out of shape people who have no issues. It's a long way to travel and then be miserable. Do the sacred valley first.

4) Great book to read before you go or for those who have already gone : Mark Adams "Turn Right at Machu Pichu" Part travelogue, part history of Incas and Spaniards, Part history of Hiram Bingham who 'rediscovered' the site in the early 1900's. Has humor and lots of interesting information that will make what you see more meaningful.

5) Machu Pichu. We did 2 days. First day was getting to Agua Calientes in the afternoon and go up to do the main site and the next day was to go up early and do Huayna Pichu before heading to Cusco. However, They had a 'strike' the second day. There have been quite a few over the last 6 months. Protests over the limits on tickets into MP and its impact on the people supported by tourists. We woke up at 6am to the sound of silence. No trains in or out of the town for 24 hours. no bus to the top of the mountain to MP. So we walked up the trail. That is about 1300ft of elevation all in stairs. at that point we were not about to go do the additional 900 ft Huayna Pichu hike. The gate guards kindly let us do the bigger loop instead of what our ticket was for and we did enjoy a more leisurely hike through the main part that was nearly empty and with the llamas right by the trails. We were able to add a night to our hotel (again, non one in or out of the town with no train) and we were able to get tickets to leave late morning the next day, delaying but not ruining our trip. Trip insurance has already reimbursed our additional costs.

6) Cusco is an enjoyable distinctive town. We also did a 4 hour horseback ride tour ( only the 4 of us) that includes a visit to a small deserted Incan ruin and a great tour guide. I can give you that info if you are interested.

7) lots of markets with fun souvenirs for kids like cheap t-shirts, llamas, cheap possibly alpaca sweaters. there are also places to get good alpaca sweaters, hats, and weavings. the work is beautiful.

I think you will have a great time. It is not a limited mobility friendly place for tourists and everything involves a lot of stairs and walking so I am glad we went before retirement.
Topic Author
andyandyandy

Post by andyandyandy »

Bfwolf wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:41 am Hi Andy,

I was just in Peru in December and I did the 2 day Machu Picchu trail and Huayna Picchu so I hope I have something valuable to add to this conversation.

Back in December, tourism was still way down in Peru. So we had no issues with overcrowding and we were able to get a private guide for the two of us for an excellent price. The guide we used had only led something like 5 tours in all of 2021! I am sure by June it will have returned to much of its former level of tourism, so you'll surely encounter some differences in your trip than mine. I'll DM you my guide's info. I liked him, a solid 7.5 out of 10. Very responsible, knew a lot about the Incas, good English but not quite fully conversational which is my only ding on him. You could totally understand him and ask him questions and all that, but you couldn't completely and naturally converse with him in the same way you would a native English speaker. Which may be how it goes for many of the guides, I don't know. Our guide procured all the necessary permits for us. We tried to figure out how to wire him the money, but in the end agreed we'd just pay him in person.

Huayna Picchu was the part our guide was most concerned about the permits selling out in advance. I don't think this was a legitimate worry in December 2021 but I imagine it will be in June 2023. I think HP would be fine for 12 and 14 year olds if they have a little experience hiking and are not afraid of heights. There's significant exposure but it's not that harrowing. Is it worth it? Probably. You won't get better views than what you got on your hike in to the sun gate. But if you had bad weather that day, it might be nice as a second bite at the apple. It's a totally pleasant, fairly short, challenging hike with excellent views so I'd say sure, go for it. You can still leave Aguas Calientes that same day so it doesn't really "cost" you much in terms of time. However, I'm not sure you'll really want to climb HP and then do Rainbow Mountain the following day. Not that HP is a huge toll on your body, but RM seems like it's pretty challenging depending on how you do it. I'd wonder if your kids would get a little fed up with the whole thing by that point (I don't know your kids, so that's just me musing).

Besides Rainbow Mountain, the highest elevation you'll be at is Cusco. The 2 day Machu Picchu hike is at a significantly lower elevation so people comparing it to the full Inca Trail are well off the mark. But Cusco is a really high elevation so you might wish to take some medication for that. And maybe for Rainbow Mountain although by that time you should be pretty well acclimated. I do not think you should worry about getting oxygen for Cusco--if you're concerned take medication.

I like Cusco. I think it would be worth staying there and spending a day exploring the town. My absolute favorite activity I did there was the make your own chocolate workshop at the chocolate museum. You don't REALLY make your own chocolate, but you do learn a lot and get to shape chocolate yourself and then they refrigerate it to lock in the shape and you take it home with you. https://www.chocomuseo.com/peru/cusco/b ... r-workshop

Uber is available in Cusco and is an easy way to get around. You can also flag down a taxi which we did once and had no issue with it. Cusco is eminently walkable though if you are staying central. I highly recommend Allpa & Nina restaurant in Cusco. Extremely affordable and delicious.

I did not do the Sacred Valley nor Rainbow Mountain so I can't add much there. We considered Rainbow Mountain but it seemed like a pain in the butt and maybe visibility isn't always great. We also got stuck in Aguas Calientes for 2 extra days because protesting farmers damaged the train tracks, so that limited some of our time on the back end of our trip. But this is a pretty rare occurrence, I wouldn't let it affect your planning.

Let me know if you have other questions.
Thank you so much for the amazing input! Appreciate it! My international flights are booked and on the next steps now.
Topic Author
andyandyandy

Post by andyandyandy »

mnecon wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:19 pm We did (with 13 and 17 yrs kids) Peru in August. Great trip. No one has mentioned the food but it is generally wonderful. They still had mask mandates on public transport, vaccine proof required for some museums/restaurants and masks in grocery stores. Saw quite a few masks in Lima on the streets less in the sacred valley and Cusco. Tourism is still not back in full and one of the big reasons is China still has a near ban on foreign travel and the Chinese were a significant part of the tourist population. That may change by June 2023.

With our experience I have a few suggestions:

1) Do a day or 2 in lima. The Catacombs have an english tour and are pretty interesting to kids. And it has its own architectural treasures of pre-Incan civilizations. Book ahead for English tours. The brick pyramids are really interesting.

2) Used the same taxi company mentioned above. Worked very well. With 4 people, much cheaper and easier than other tour options. We did 5 hours where the driver picked us up in Cusco airport and drove to a few attractions on the way to our hotel in the Sacred Valley. And another full day to get around the area attractions and then drop us at the Ollantaytambo train station.

3) Go to travel doc. Check first, only some will do Diamox for under 18 but if your kids are adult size or near adult size I would get it. As I understand it. Youngsters are more prone to headaches from altitude caused by general edema and as us oldsters have brains that have shrunk so more space for swelling. They will probably have less breathing issues from thin air however. We have lived in Denver earlier in life and observed in all of the people that visited us and went up into the mountains that you can't guess who will have altitude issues. Marathon runners get knocked sideways with headaches and fatigue. Older, out of shape people who have no issues. It's a long way to travel and then be miserable. Do the sacred valley first.

4) Great book to read before you go or for those who have already gone : Mark Adams "Turn Right at Machu Pichu" Part travelogue, part history of Incas and Spaniards, Part history of Hiram Bingham who 'rediscovered' the site in the early 1900's. Has humor and lots of interesting information that will make what you see more meaningful.

5) Machu Pichu. We did 2 days. First day was getting to Agua Calientes in the afternoon and go up to do the main site and the next day was to go up early and do Huayna Pichu before heading to Cusco. However, They had a 'strike' the second day. There have been quite a few over the last 6 months. Protests over the limits on tickets into MP and its impact on the people supported by tourists. We woke up at 6am to the sound of silence. No trains in or out of the town for 24 hours. no bus to the top of the mountain to MP. So we walked up the trail. That is about 1300ft of elevation all in stairs. at that point we were not about to go do the additional 900 ft Huayna Pichu hike. The gate guards kindly let us do the bigger loop instead of what our ticket was for and we did enjoy a more leisurely hike through the main part that was nearly empty and with the llamas right by the trails. We were able to add a night to our hotel (again, non one in or out of the town with no train) and we were able to get tickets to leave late morning the next day, delaying but not ruining our trip. Trip insurance has already reimbursed our additional costs.

6) Cusco is an enjoyable distinctive town. We also did a 4 hour horseback ride tour ( only the 4 of us) that includes a visit to a small deserted Incan ruin and a great tour guide. I can give you that info if you are interested.

7) lots of markets with fun souvenirs for kids like cheap t-shirts, llamas, cheap possibly alpaca sweaters. there are also places to get good alpaca sweaters, hats, and weavings. the work is beautiful.

I think you will have a great time. It is not a limited mobility friendly place for tourists and everything involves a lot of stairs and walking so I am glad we went before retirement.
Thank you so much for the info - helps a lot!
Appreciate it very much!
obgraham

Post by obgraham »

I've been to MP three times, and always enjoyed it, and the people of Peru. Great food, too.
But here's a warning for people reading this thread and thinking "some day I'll go there": Go Now. Or Soon.

If they ever finish the new airport they are building halfway from Cusco to MP, it will change the MP experience forever. Already the site is at capacity, at least before covid. So either they will limit access, make it much more expensive, or change the site to accept more tourists. All these options will change the nature of the place, ands what was at least a unique experience will become just another theme park.
Starfish

Post by Starfish »

Did anybody rent a car and explore Peru by themselves (I know, it's a big country)? This is what I usually do in my trips. I would not want to go on a guided trip. I read somewhere that it's dangerous in Peru but this is what they say about all countries, so you never know.
RealSunset

Post by RealSunset »

obgraham wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:28 pm Great food, too.
Never been there but I do remember a lot of noise about Peruvian cuisine a few years ago. Sounded intriguing. Maybe if the mountain climbing is not readily available, the dining might make up for it.
tfunk

Post by tfunk »

obgraham wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:28 pm I've been to MP three times, and always enjoyed it, and the people of Peru. Great food, too.
But here's a warning for people reading this thread and thinking "some day I'll go there": Go Now. Or Soon.

If they ever finish the new airport they are building halfway from Cusco to MP, it will change the MP experience forever. Already Machu Picchu is at capacity, at least before covid. As the poster states either they will limit access, make it much more expensive, or change the site to accept more tourists. All these options will change the nature of the place, and what was at least a unique experience will become just another theme park.
This is an excellent point. When we were there this past August, our tour guide told us about this new airport. It is being built in partnership with a Korean company (our guide told us it was China). Once it opens, it will have a much larger capacity than the current Cusco airport, especially for more international arrivals. I felt the crowds were almost overwhelming this past August and cringe to think what it will be like when the new airport opens either in 2024 or 2025.

The only positive is Cusco may have less tourists. We actually felt Cusco has plenty of tourism infrastructure already. None of the sites we visited in the city or the Inca ruins outside the city seemed to be overcrowded.
mnecon

Post by mnecon »

Did anybody rent a car and explore Peru by themselves (I know, it's a big country)? This is what I usually do in my trips. I would not want to go on a guided trip. I read somewhere that it's dangerous in Peru but this is what they say about all countries, so you never know.
This is our typical way to do trips too, but not in Peru. I wouldn't drive in Peru. Lanes are very much suggestions, livestock and dogs are often in the streets. We simply used the TaxiDatum car service. It is cheap - for example, I think it was around 36$ for 5 hours of driving us one day taking us from Cusco to the Sacred Valley and stopping at various sites along the way. They aren't guides, just drivers.

We didn't do a guided tour except for hiring a guide (while in line for the bus) for one day to take us around Machu Pichu ( it is supposed to be a requirement for entry but they aren't strict about it).

I agree on the 'do it soon' suggestions. Machu Pichu construction is actually about 60% under the ground and it is all subsiding. That is part of the reason for the tourist limitations. UNESCO is threatening to take away their funding and listing if Peru doesn't do something to take care of the issue. That plan, as I understand it at least $500 million to do and may not solve the problem. Our guide made it seem like they might just close MP. I think that is unlikely but right now you can walk through most of the buildings and on the stairs and roads made by the Incas. My guess is that at some point they will just set up viewing stations and keep all of the people off the actual site. I would want to go while you can still get the full experience.
InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams »

obgraham wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:28 pm Already the site is at capacity, at least before covid.
We spent the night in Aguas Calientes. The "hotel" we stayed at seemed to be converted from an office building. Quite strange. Dining places in AC were very crowded.

The trip from AC up to MP was by then already the bus-concessionaire model (thank goodness), but was still quite busy. MP had plenty of tourists, tho I understood that the numbers were limited by ticketing. Even then (2015), there were whispers about MP subsiding, and tourists might be even more restricted.

We had two half-days in MP - got off the train and basically ran to the bus queue (luggage handled by tour). Did the main tourist tour of MP that afternoon, then the next day, walked out to the Inca Trail gate, then the suspension bridge. Magnificent views.

OP, we really enjoyed Ollantaytambo, as well as a location near Cusco called Tipon. Tipon was definitely a small site, but it was off the beaten path. There's a lot to see in Peru and I know we only touched a portion of it.

Traffic in Lima made it very hard to get from point to point.
tony_roach

Post by tony_roach »

I just came back from two weeks backpacking in South America with the first one being Peru. Feel free to PM me for more details, I'm happy to help and share my recent experience and pictures.

-Don't recommend renting a car.
-I flew into Lima and Cusco connecting flight. The entire first day spent in Cusco getting used to altitude. Get familiar with eating Coca leaves and coca tea. They do help and it hits everyone different. Headaches and heavy breathing for me. San Blas is a nice artsy part of town but on top of the hill. Plenty of tour operators.
-An alternative to the Rainbow Mountain is to visit the Palcoyo Rainbow mountain. Closer, less crowded and easier to hike/climb than the Rainbow Mountain.
-Cusco is beautiful and very safe. Tourism is their livelihood and they have a high police presence.
-MP - plenty of options. From the full 6 day Saltunkay trail to easy take the train up to MP and in-between. I did the Hydroelectrica hike to MP there and back. Met tons of people and made human and furry friends throughout the trip.
crefwatch

Post by crefwatch »

tfunk wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:49 pm
crefwatch wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:53 am And we paid a fortune to stay at the tiny hotel up on the mountain, which we did not regret a bit.
I am very curious about your stay at the Sanctuary Lodge at the entrance to Machu Picchu. <snip>
I think the rack rate when we went was closer to $1,500 when we were there in 2008. I suppose it's important to note that we knew about the property and partly chose the small group tour of first- and second-degree acquaintances, because of it. I mean, that our cocktails and meals at the Sanctuary Lodge had a particularly "family" aura that an independent traveling couple would not have.

The rooms are rather small for the price, but very comfortable. The food was superb, with gracious, private-dining service. It was a wonderful luxury to interrupt our first day in the sacred site to come back for a hot lunch in the hotel. (Note: Is same-day re-entry permitted Post-Pandemic and Post-9/11? Need to know.) There was a small private orchid garden. We did not regret the expense.

We travel a lot, and I'm usually skeptical of people who insist "You must sleep at [Bruges/Mont St. Michel/Zadar/Perouges/ whatever] so that you can experience it before/after the busses come/leave." The fact is that the actual site has very limited astronomical and government hours, so we only got 60 minutes before and after "the busses came". But this was an exception to my stuffy attitude about that subject.

Should a budget traveler cut three days from their vacation to afford to stay there? No. And it is always exceptionally hard to book at all.
Topic Author
andyandyandy

Post by andyandyandy »

Another followup question:

Short Inca Trail + Machu Pichhu and Hyuana Picchu booked, International flights booked.

Questions:

1) We are active but not really hikers. What shoes are recommended for hiking?
2) Are Nazca flights which are short planes safe? I see one accident with deaths in 2022 but there are varying opinions. Has anybody experienced it?
I understand I need at least 2 days from Lima. Any recommended Tour operator? So far I see "Peru Hop" bus package is reasonably priced and good reviews.

Thanks a lot!
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
halfnine

Post by halfnine »

andyandyandy wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 5:31 pm 1) We are active but not really hikers. What shoes are recommended for hiking?
I was on a longer 2 month trip through the region so I just used a pair of Rockports because that's what I had. The main thing is that you are comfortable with whatever you choose and they are broken in if they are boots. And that they have some decent tread for gripping on slippery stone. More valuable would be some sort of hiking pole or staff particularly for heading down steep stone stairs.
andyandyandy wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 5:31 pm 2) Are Nazca flights which are short planes safe? I see one accident with deaths in 2022 but there are varying opinions.
I lived and this was back sometime around 2003. The planes are probably safer now and likely safer then taking the buses in the Andes. Personally, I never gave it a thought. It's not like the pilots have a death wish. And at some point if it's your time it's your time.
Prokofiev

Post by Prokofiev »

Case59 wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:02 am and the remaining Incan fortress walls of Sacsayhuamann outside the town are fascinating.
You definitely should go to Sacsayhuamann (Sexy Woman) while in Cusco. Lots of short, cheap tours there.

I was hit hard by the altitude the first night. Could not sleep and had problems breathing. After that, I was fine.
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler - Einstein
HipCoyote

Post by HipCoyote »

We went there with "Mountain Lodges of Peru." The idea was to hike to Machu Picchu from the other side of the Inca Trail summiting a 15,000 foot peak then down into Machu Picchu. That turned into a bit of a folly. First, we acclimatized to altitude in Cuzco. We found the city to be nice. Had a wonderful time...except for a very rare side effect of the diamox. For most people it makes beer taste awful and causes tingling in the hands...that was bad enough. But one sorry soul (me) had horrific testicular pain...doctors called, etc. I recovered, but wow.

In any event, as far as Lima. We stayed there several days at the house / B&B run by the family of Victor Del Fin, Peru's most famous artist. The beech was fun as well. Del Fin's residence was well worth it. He was there, but we never saw him. I do not know if he is still alive. As I recall, the place was in the Las Flores area. Took several viator trips in Lima. All we good. The Cusco thing was fine. Nice city. Also through Viator, my wife found a nighttime astronomy tour where we went outside the city and looked at the southern constellations. That was very cool, and not that expensive.

Altitude sickness is no joke. Edema can be an issue. You have to pay attention and be willing to go to lower altitude if need be. We never felt the need for O2, even at 15k feet.