More weird issue with Fidelity - I keep getting younger

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
gavinsiu

More weird issue with Fidelity - I keep getting younger

Post by gavinsiu »

I submitted some application to Fidelity, but they never appear on my account. On friday they told me they were processing it. On Monday, they said that my application had incorrect birthday and therefore I must send it an proof of identification to correct it. I am apparently 20 years younger.

What's really weird is I had this issue before. When I inherited an account a while back, they incorrectly stated that I was 20 years younger. Keep in mind that I acquire multiple accounts but only one had incorrect birthday. To correct that one account, I had to turn in some ID.

In any case, I brought this up with Fidelity, the rep pointed out that the screenshot on confirmation that I had enter that date and it was essentially my fault. However, since I submitted multple application. I find it hard to believe I mad the same mistake twice and that it happens to match the previous error. The fact that I did not even got a confirmation on the account makes me suspicious that someone is serious wrong with Fidelity.

Update
I travel to Fidelity's local office to get this resolved. I attempted to get a copy of the form submitted but was told by the front office rep that he doesn't have access to that. He showed me on screenwhat he does access to, the screen only show basic info on me such as name, ssn, and birthday. Using my ID, I was able to correct incorrect birthday within an hour and get the account processing continued. Now I have to show up with my spouse to notarized a conscent form.

My impression of the Fidelity front office rep was overall very postive. He was polite and wasn't pushy about products. I did quiz him on the lack of communication. He thinks I stop getting email because when they notice irregularity in my account, they closed the account down. However, It appears that they only close the account being open and not the one being transferred out. He also admits that back office communciation could be better, he indicated that he sometimes don't get communicated on stuff. We did chat briefly on the back office. The back office said I opted to get my forms in paper. That isn't true. It's more likely that the backoffice setup that option because I needed to have the form notraized. Fidelity appears to be using Sales Force.

If there is one thing that trouble me about the rep, it's that he did not lock the computer when he left me in the room to make copies of documents, but may be I am just overly cautious.

When I returned home, I find that I still can't log into the two new empty accounts, so I might need to call again since I would like to add the beneficaries.
Last edited by gavinsiu on Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
livesoft

Re: More weird issue with Fidelity - I keep getting younger

Post by livesoft »

Do you want to win the war or win this battle?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

gavinsiu wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:49 am I submitted some application to Fidelity, but they never appear on my account. On friday they told me they were processing it. On Monday, they said that my application had incorrect birthday and therefore I must send it an proof of identification to correct it. I am apparently 20 years younger.

What's really weird is I had this issue before. When I inherited an account a while back, they incorrectly stated that I was 20 years younger. Keep in mind that I acquire multiple accounts but only one had incorrect birthday. To correct that one account, I had to turn in some ID.

In any case, I brought this up with Fidelity, the rep pointed out that the screenshot on confirmation that I had enter that date and it was essentially my fault. However, since I submitted multple application. I find it hard to believe I mad the same mistake twice and that it happens to match the previous error. The fact that I did not even got a confirmation on the account makes me suspicious that someone is serious wrong with Fidelity.

What does your copy of the screenshot or pdf printout of the form you submitted show?
This type of possible "issue" is why we always keep a copy of whatever is submitted.

Making a pdf copy is very quick, and easy to "store" (in some folder of "paperwork" or whatever), and then probably delete once it's all set. Or keep. Computer "storage space" isn't the precious commodity it was decades ago.

There have been some surprising times it was needed. One was with Vanguard, where I kept a copy of the confirmed transaction as always, complete with transaction/confirmation number. That stayed pending for waaay too long, all while I kept being told "don't worry, it's there, it will show as completed soon", etc. And then it disappeared and Vanguard denied there had ever been such a transaction. :annoyed It was a weird situation, but we wanted that fund and at *that* price. It took almost forcing them to look at the pdf copy by mumbling the agency names, but once they did "look", we had that fund backdated and included in the account really fast. Otherwise, we'd have been out some nice growth of a medium sum... Sigh.

Given this has happened to you more than once, there's not a chance I'd submit anything without keeping a copy!

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Topic Author
gavinsiu

Post by gavinsiu »

livesoft wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:03 am Do you want to win the war or win this battle?
I could just transfer it to Vanguard. I wanted to understand how things got screw up. I am probably going to talk to the branch and see what was submitted and then provide my ID there.
Topic Author
gavinsiu

Post by gavinsiu »

ResearchMed wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:07 am
What does your copy of the screenshot or pdf printout of the form you submitted show?
This type of possible "issue" is why we always keep a copy of whatever is submitted.

Making a pdf copy is very quick, and easy to "store" (in some folder of "paperwork" or whatever), and then probably delete once it's all set. Or keep. Computer "storage space" isn't the precious commodity it was decades ago.

There have been some surprising times it was needed. One was with Vanguard, where I kept a copy of the confirmed transaction as always, complete with transaction/confirmation number. That stayed pending for waaay too long, all while I kept being told "don't worry, it's there, it will show as completed soon", etc. And then it disappeared and Vanguard denied there had ever been such a transaction. :annoyed It was a weird situation, but we wanted that fund and at *that* price. It took almost forcing them to look at the pdf copy by mumbling the agency names, but once they did "look", we had that fund backdated and included in the account really fast. Otherwise, we'd have been out some nice growth of a medium sum... Sigh.

Given this has happened to you more than once, there's not a chance I'd submit anything without keeping a copy!

RM
I can't see the copy because when I log in, it is not available for me to examine. I didn't get an email notification either that anything was submitted. Apparently they did sent out a snail mail today. What I was expecting was an email that tells that I had submitted a form and they were processing it. I also expect to have an application pending when I log into my account.

I have requested an appointment with the local branch mostly because I wanted to make sure that the form had the correct information and this may be the only way that I can see it and review it with someone human.
student

Post by student »

gavinsiu wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:41 am I have requested an appointment with the local branch mostly because I wanted to make sure that the form had the correct information and this may be the only way that I can see it and review it with someone human.
This is a good idea.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

gavinsiu wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:41 am I can't see the copy because when I log in, it is not available for me to examine.

So you did not make a copy immediately before you submitted it, or the confirmed on-screen notice that might have a confirmation number on it?
That's my suggestion for the future, for precisely situations such as what you describe.
It's come in very handy for us, more than should have been necessary...

We've learned to make pdf copies of almost *everything*. We can always delete them if they aren't eneded, and it only takes seconds.
We learned the hard way, etc.

RM
Walkure

Post by Walkure »

Let me guess, you were born in 1966 and keep fat fingering the 9?
Topic Author
gavinsiu

Post by gavinsiu »

ResearchMed wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:03 pm So you did not make a copy immediately before you submitted it, or the confirmed on-screen notice that might have a confirmation number on it?
That's my suggestion for the future, for precisely situations such as what you describe.

We've learned to make pdf copies of almost *everything*. We can always delete them if they aren't eneded, and it only takes seconds.

RM
The system did not give me an opportunity to print out a PDF. it said please confirm. Because the form takes up multiple screen, I would have had to make a screenshot everytime the screen changed. Normally when you submit the form, there is a copy of the form on the account or I get a link in the email to the pdf form. May be that is what I will do in the future.

I have setup an appointment with Fidelity. My suspicion is that Fidelity pull information from the account I am transferring from. I should be able to verify this by looking at the employer fields. If they list the deceased's employer, then I know that they did this since there is no way I will remember and enter the deceased's employer name and address.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

gavinsiu wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:40 pm
ResearchMed wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:03 pm So you did not make a copy immediately before you submitted it, or the confirmed on-screen notice that might have a confirmation number on it?

RM
The system did not give me an opportunity to print out a PDF. it said please confirm. Because the form takes up multiple screen, I would have had to make a screenshot everytime the screen changed. Normally when you submit the form, there is a copy of the form on the account or I get a link in the email to the pdf form. May be that is what I will do in the future.

I have setup an appointment with Fidelity. My suspicion is that Fidelity pull information from the account I am transferring from. I should be able to verify this by looking at the employer fields. If they list the deceased's employer, then I know that they did this since there is no way I will remember and enter the deceased's employer name and address.

Try this for the future:

With the cursor over the "form" (anywhere over it), "PRINT", and there should be a way to specify a PDF (the way that choice works can vary, but it's *usually* there). Then it prints the entire "thing", whether it is 1 page, or sometimes an article with lots of ads so it ends up being a gazillion pages (+/- :wink: ).

You might want to practice so you know what to do next time you've got that type of screen, because once it's gone... it's gone... :annoyed

There are sometimes two ways to approach it: One is from an upper menu, such as drop down from "file".
Another is to "right click". Then select "print". If it asks for a printer, see if there is a choice of "pdf", without a printer "device".

RM
Topic Author
gavinsiu

Post by gavinsiu »

Update
I travel to Fidelity's local office to get this resolved. I attempted to get a copy of the form submitted but was told by the front office rep that he doesn't have access to that. He showed me on screenwhat he does access to, the screen only show basic info on me such as name, ssn, and birthday. Using my ID, I was able to correct incorrect birthday within an hour and get the account processing continued. Now I have to show up with my spouse to notarized a conscent form.

My impression of the Fidelity front office rep was overall very postive. He was polite and wasn't pushy about products. I did quiz him on the lack of communication. He thinks I stop getting email because when they notice irregularity in my account, they closed the account down. However, It appears that they only close the account being open and not the one being transferred out. He also admits that back office communciation could be better, he indicated that he sometimes don't get communicated on stuff. We did chat briefly on the back office. The back office said I opted to get my forms in paper. That isn't true. It's more likely that the backoffice setup that option because I needed to have the form notraized. Fidelity appears to be using Sales Force.

If there is one thing that trouble me about the rep, it's that he did not lock the computer when he left me in the room to make copies of documents, but may be I am just overly cautious.

When I returned home, I find that I still can't log into the two new empty accounts, so I might need to call again since I would like to add the beneficaries.
ikowik

Post by ikowik »

gavinsiu wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:53 pm Update

How did the wrong birth date get in there in the first place?
Topic Author
gavinsiu

Post by gavinsiu »

ikowik wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:59 pm How did the wrong birth date get in there in the first place?
Unknown. Fidelity claims that I entered the incorrect date, but since I filled out multiple forms and enter the date wrong each time, and is not using the same touch-type finger, it seems unlikely.

My feeling is that Fidelity copied info from an old profile. When I received the inherited accounts, one of them account had a incorrect birthday which I corrected. This is also happened to be the account I am trying to transfer out of.

Maybe this sort of mistake is common place and I should just be vigilant. I am hoping to get more information once I turned in the notary.
Topic Author
gavinsiu

Post by gavinsiu »

So after I resolve the birthday with a physical ID, I still can't see the accounts when I log in online. The rep clearly show up that both accounts exists.

After an hour with tech support, Fidelity indicated that this was due to "fid mismatch". Fidelity said it was a system thing that sometimes occur but is rare, but the symptom is that the user can't see the accounts, but the reps can.

After half an hour on the phone, they were able to fix the issue on the backend and I can see the accounts finally. I also had the rep pull out the application form and they indicate that the employer is correct, so there is evidence that perhaps I made the mistake on my side, but it's still kind of weird that I would make that sort of error twice. I am just going to turn it my spousal consent form and hope that the rest of the rollover will be uneventful.

One tip, do not use chat if you diagnose issue with online accounts. Clicking on anything on the website appears to kill off existing chat sessions. On other vendors, the chat session remain if you click on something on the website. On fidelity, you often lose the chat session.
Topic Author
gavinsiu

Post by gavinsiu »

Spoke too soon. I try to uploaded the forms, but apparently I need to install an app on my phone to do it, I can't do it from my website. Even if I do install the app, the fidelity rep said there was multiple employers on my account and the doc would go to the first one alphabetically on my list, so it would not reach the correct plan. I am going to try to fax it. :oops:
Topic Author
gavinsiu

Post by gavinsiu »

After faxing the docs, the issue was resolved quickly in a day and the account has been transferred over to the IRA.
Topic Author
gavinsiu

Post by gavinsiu »

So the account transfer into a ROTH IRA and Traditional IRA, which is great except that I don't have any idea what the before and after tax return is on 12/31/21. Unlike the TIAA-Cref, I do have statements from last year, but it doesn't list which amount was before or after tax.

Fidelity must know this info or they wouldn't have split this into traditional and ROTH, but the rep at Fidelity does not appear to know how to get this info. I do see a detail breakdown on the transfer, so I might have to plug all of the number into a spreadsheet. This really sucks.

I have great trouble getting this point across to Fidelity. They keep saying that the 1099 will show all of the info but they also say that, Fidelity doesn't calculate RMD, the IRS does. So once again, we have conflicting statements.