Best company for selling your car and picking it up?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
A440

Best company for selling your car and picking it up?

Post by A440 »

Any suggestions for companies that will pay you for a car sitting in your garage and come and pick it up? We have a family member in this situation with a car that isn't being used anytime soon, but still works great and may have some value to it.
I don't know what the future holds, but I know who holds my future.
Jack FFR1846

Re: Best company for selling your car and picking it up?

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Carvana is probably the best known. You can try Vroom and do an online Car Max estimate.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
khangaroo

Post by khangaroo »

+1 for Carvana. Sold our Fiat 500 last year and it was the simplest transaction I’ve ever had selling a car and I’ve probably sold around 8 or so in my life. I got much more than what I was trying to sell on CL/FB/AT and they just come by and do a check then give you a check and pick up the car. Why can’t all things be this simple?!?
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

What is the make/ year of the car? It may make a difference as to which service to use. A newer Toyota will be easier to move via Carvana than a 1980 Dodge Omni!
Pranav

Post by Pranav »

CarVIO
https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki
mrb09

Post by mrb09 »

Had good experience with selling one car through Caravana. We were outside of their network, but met them at a rest stop just inside their network range and dropped the car off with one of their agents.

Also sold two cars to Carmax, you have to go to them, but it was simple and the payment was agreed on online before hand.
duuuuuude

Post by duuuuuude »

We sold our 2.5 year old car to Vroom May 2021 after entering the car's information Vroom, Carvana, MyKbb, etc. sites.

At the time, Vroom was significantly higher.

Also waited about a week and Vroom upped the offer by another $500.

Made arrangements and a car carrier truck pulled up our street to pick up the car to our kids' delight because they got to see the truck up close!

Don't know how if the used online car dealer frenzy is still going on now though....
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy »

Be sure the auto ownership is transferred to the new owner before you hand over the keys.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect
London

Post by London »

I used Vroom and it could not have been easier. Paid on the spot when I signed over the title.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Selling my car to Carvana was absolutely painless. They were at my house for less than 10 minutes, took the car that day, and gave me a bank draft for the agreed-upon price.

I also sold numerous cars to Carmax, but you need to go to one of their stores to appraise and drop off the car.
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

You can sell it yourself on Craigslist or FB. Buyers will pay you and drive it away. Used car values are still astronomical.
BH Consumer FAQ: | Car? Used Toyota, Lexus or Miata. | House? 20% down and 3x salary. | Vacation house? No. | Umbrella? $1 million. | Goods? Costco.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

BolderBoy wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:28 pm Be sure the auto ownership is transferred to the new owner before you hand over the keys.
This is state dependent. In my state (MA) the only thing the seller can do is remove the license plates (which is required) and have the truck driver sign a bill of sale, listing "agent for car buyer". Make a copy of both sides of the title before pickup.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
VinoVita

Post by VinoVita »

In January, obtained quotes from Carvana, Vroom, CarMax & Shift. Shift was $5000+ more than the other three. Shift rep came to the house on a Friday, we signed & they took the vehicle. Shift check was in my acct. on Monday. Easy-peasy!
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:21 pm
BolderBoy wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:28 pm Be sure the auto ownership is transferred to the new owner before you hand over the keys.
This is state dependent. In my state (MA) the only thing the seller can do is remove the license plates (which is required) and have the truck driver sign a bill of sale, listing "agent for car buyer". Make a copy of both sides of the title before pickup.
Oh, the car is being taken away on a flatbed? Then my worry doesn't apply.

If the auto is being driven way, it belongs (and is a liability) to whoever holds the title. Guess how I know.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect
boglegirl

Post by boglegirl »

snackdog wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:14 pm You can sell it yourself on Craigslist or FB. Buyers will pay you and drive it away. Used car values are still astronomical.
We tried this for a couple of weeks. Priced it very competitively, compared to other cars we saw on the market. The only messages I got were from scammers.

I then got a quote from Carvana which I didn't think was that great. So I entered the info into Truecar for about $1k more than Carvana - they called it an "instant offer" but it required me to go to a dealer to confirm the offer. I went to 2 of the three dealers that they referred me to, and both offered more than $1k LESS than the Carvana offer. I drove home from the 2nd dealer and immediately made an appointment with Carvana to come pick up the car the next day.
makingmistakes

Post by makingmistakes »

bob60014 wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:26 am What is the make/ year of the car? It may make a difference as to which service to use. A newer Toyota will be easier to move via Carvana than a 1980 Dodge Omni!
This. Have sold 2 newer cars to Carvana for great prices. But the offer on an older car was laughably low and the automated response even said something about they mostly deal with newer models.