Dental Insurance - retired - probably need expensive work

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
Circe

Dental Insurance - retired - probably need expensive work

Post by Circe »

Post retirement, I've had United Concordia dental "insurance." It is more like a pre-payment plan. I've tried two different dentists and they're fine for teeth cleaning and x-rays, but it's all I've needed. I knew that it wasn't a great situation but it wasn't at the top of my to-do list. Now it is.

While eating some ribs yesterday, the upper tooth (incisor) between my front tooth (center incisor) and eye tooth (canine) chipped. All 4 of my upper front teeth have wear on the bottom edges and probably need work. Patching the bottoms of those incisors is probably not a long-term solution if I ever want to eat again.

Not many local dentists are on my insurance plan. I should probably look for a new plan and a new dentist. Any recommendations on how to proceed would be appreciated.
jebmke

Re: Dental Insurance - retired - probably need expensive work

Post by jebmke »

I have looked at dental insurance more than once and could never make sense of the numbers.

We use a discount plan through DentalPlans dot com and self-insure.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
yohac

Post by yohac »

Even if you could find a plan that made sense financially, it probably wouldn't cover major work (crowns, implants) for at least 12 months.
sc9182

Post by sc9182 »

yohac wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:29 pm Even if you could find a plan that made sense financially, it probably wouldn't cover major work (crowns, implants) for at least 12 months.
and even if they do cover major work after 12 months - chances are that they could drop the coverage after 12 initial months (of non-coverage anyway)

Most of the retirees (who are not lucky go get good coverage thru employer, retirement benefit and such) appear to stop bothering about dental insurance in open market (due to its lack of quality/coverage/pricing
and such) - and go the route of self pay (with our without some discount plans).
Carol88888

Post by Carol88888 »

What about medical tourism? I don't know anything about it but the idea of Portugal might be worth looking into.
Zanmar

Post by Zanmar »

Dental School?
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

Really good dental insurance is very expensive, even then coverage is limited and partial. At best it ends up being a pre-pay plan rather than insurance. The best of these plans are marketed and designed to maximize company profit, the worst seem almost fraudulent.

In retirement we decided to self insure. On going dental care and repairs are one of our largest yearly expense categories.
enad

Post by enad »

Circe wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:16 pm Post retirement, I've had United Concordia dental "insurance." It is more like a pre-payment plan. I've tried two different dentists and they're fine for teeth cleaning and x-rays, but it's all I've needed. I knew that it wasn't a great situation but it wasn't at the top of my to-do list. Now it is.

While eating some ribs yesterday, the upper tooth (incisor) between my front tooth (center incisor) and eye tooth (canine) chipped. All 4 of my upper front teeth have wear on the bottom edges and probably need work. Patching the bottoms of those incisors is probably not a long-term solution if I ever want to eat again.

Not many local dentists are on my insurance plan. I should probably look for a new plan and a new dentist. Any recommendations on how to proceed would be appreciated.
Friends who have retired use dentists in Mexico just across the border. Many fly/dry into Yuma, AZ and rent a car for the day, cross into Mexico and see a dentist who can make a crown the same day and they swear by the Dentists work. It would behoove you to make an appointment in advance but one can get great dental work for a lot less money just south of the border.
What Goes Up Must come down -- David Clayton-Thomas (1968), BST
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

Dental issues have been the largest unexpected expense since retirement. I have insurance, but frankly, I don't care if the dentist takes it or not. I have learned its an art as well as a science and my current dentist and oral surgeon are cleaning up the work of others. My out of pocket dental expenses this year will approach $10,000. The insurance pays only a fraction. (Part of my high expense is my own doing since for implant posts I pay extra for sedation.). My bite has been totally messed up by previous poor dentists. I suggest looking for someone who has been to the Pankey Institute
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I removed an off-topic post and reply regarding the quality of dental care in the US. As a reminder, see: General Etiquette
Attacks on individuals, insults, name calling, trolling, baiting or other attempts to sow dissension are not acceptable.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Topic Author
Circe

Post by Circe »

Thanks to all who answered. I spent a lot in my 20's to fix some things but have been really lucky since then other than some fillings. Aside from the 4 front teeth with edges that are starting to wear away, there is only one other tooth on the watch list. I'll look into a discount plan instead of dental insurance and just self-insure. I have no idea what repairs will cost but my guess is travel costs will probably be more.
OldSport

Post by OldSport »

Dental is one place to not skimp on if you can afford it. Not all dentists are good. I'd rather pay for a well trained local dentist than go to a foreign country, especially for major work prone to future complications or adjustments.

Most dental plans are lousy, unless employer sponsored plan is generous. Since the "insurance plans" need to make money, I find it far better to self insure and take really good preventative measures - I get a cleaning every 4 months vs. 6, wear a mouth night guard, have a Sonicare and Waterpik, etc. I had my fair share of teeth issues, and upping the prevention has cut my issues by ~90%.
pharming2017

Post by pharming2017 »

I’ve learned some very expensive lessons from my teeth. ALWAYS opt to spend a little of money now to address an issue before it becomes a very expensive problem down he road.

Disclaimer: I’ve spent nearly 15k out of pocket in the past 3 years on dental work (including two implants).
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Some Medicare Advantage plans provide dental services.

For example, mine offers up to $1,000 per year in preventive and maintenance dental services, at no cost to me.
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 »

sc9182 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:36 pm
yohac wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:29 pm Even if you could find a plan that made sense financially, it probably wouldn't cover major work (crowns, implants) for at least 12 months.
and even if they do cover major work after 12 months - chances are that they could drop the coverage after 12 initial months (of non-coverage anyway)

Most of the retirees (who are not lucky go get good coverage thru employer, retirement benefit and such) appear to stop bothering about dental insurance in open market (due to its lack of quality/coverage/pricing
and such) - and go the route of self pay (with our without some discount plans).
And even if they do cover major work many only pay about half of what the provider charges for the major work. Also, I might be wrong, but I think you will have a tough time finding one that covers implants - crowns yes, implants no.
zlandar

Post by zlandar »

Dental insurance will cover routine items like cleanings but there is a hard cap on what it will cover for major work. The cap can be $500-1000 depending on the plan.
VT03008

Post by VT03008 »

Circe wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:13 pm Thanks to all who answered. I spent a lot in my 20's to fix some things but have been really lucky since then other than some fillings. Aside from the 4 front teeth with edges that are starting to wear away, there is only one other tooth on the watch list. I'll look into a discount plan instead of dental insurance and just self-insure. I have no idea what repairs will cost but my guess is travel costs will probably be more.
I am a dentist and I would strongly recommend you first find a dentist you want to do the work and then figure out how you to pay for it. Every part of the country is different but around me only the questionable places take those discount plans. A place more saturated with dentists may have better ones taking it.

This isn't specific medical advice as I don't know your situation, but in general chronic anterior wear and chipping will simply continue to occur to the restorations as well if the root cause is not addressed. An excellent result on day 1 is easy, having it still look like that in a few years is a different story.
hudson

Post by hudson »

Mr. Rumples wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:05 pm Dental issues have been the largest unexpected expense since retirement. I have insurance, but frankly, I don't care if the dentist takes it or not. I have learned its an art as well as a science and my current dentist and oral surgeon are cleaning up the work of others. My out of pocket dental expenses this year will approach $10,000. The insurance pays only a fraction. (Part of my high expense is my own doing since for implant posts I pay extra for sedation.). My bite has been totally messed up by previous poor dentists. I suggest looking for someone who has been to the Pankey Institute
I also have dental "insurance," but I understand that I'm essentially self insured for the big ticket items. I think that I break even on the "insurance" some years...some years not.

In the army in the 70s, I ignored dental care; when I finally went to the army dentist, I had a molar that the dentist said was not fixable. The dentist who out ranked me popped my records folder onto my chest and bruskly said go down to room 13 and get in line. I considered finding his vehicle and letting the air out of his tires, but instead went to room 13 where the much nicer oral surgeon pulled the tooth. I was number six in line. He had us all fixed up and back on duty in no time.

Bottom line: I decided after losing that tooth that I would not lose another tooth without paying whatever for dental care. Right now, it seems like I'm in a never ending cycle of crowns, root canals, extractions, and implants....but life is good!
Topic Author
Circe

Post by Circe »

The foreign travel thing scares me; I'd rather have a local dentist for follow up. I had a dentist that I trust close to where I worked. I'm going to give them a call.

I've worn night guards for many years; they really made a big difference.

I don't have the Advantage plan but I did notice that some of them do have some dental benefits. I would be afraid that the dentist I wanted might not take that insurance, as others have mentioned with various plans.

VT03008, thanks for chiming in and giving me more things to consider. I had assumed that the wear/chip was just that the teeth are older/weaker, but I'll make sure that other causes are considered.
bsteiner

Post by bsteiner »

Like parachutes and toilet paper, quality is more important than price for most professional services.
InTheMidwest

Post by InTheMidwest »

We treated a very bad infection, post implant placement done in Mexico. The patient lost a significant amount of bone in the process, negating the opportunity for another implant. It was unclear what infection control guidelines were used as the patient had other implants done in US and described an entirely different procedure. There are good (and not so good) dentists everywhere so doing our homework is a must.
tj

Post by tj »

OpenMinded1 wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:29 am
sc9182 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:36 pm

And even if they do cover major work many only pay about half of what the provider charges for the major work. Also, I might be wrong, but I think you will have a tough time finding one that covers implants - crowns yes, implants no.
The good ones pay half of the negotiated rate, not half of what is billed.
humbledinvestor

Post by humbledinvestor »

Carol88888 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:55 pm What about medical tourism? I don't know anything about it but the idea of Portugal might be worth looking into.
Yes Portugal and even Mexico. A friend of mine had work done in Mexico and was happy with her treatment.
annebert

Post by annebert »

I am on Medicare and get my dental insurance through the ACA (aka Obamacare) healthcare marketplace. This is real insurance, not just a discount plan. I did make sure that my very good dentist accepted this plan before signing up.
sc9182

Post by sc9182 »

annebert wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:44 pm I am on Medicare and get my dental insurance through the ACA (aka Obamacare) healthcare marketplace. This is real insurance, not just a discount plan. I did make sure that my very good dentist accepted this plan before signing up.
Good to know - thanks for sharing. Did not know that even while you are on Medicare, you could go shop/buy Dental insurance on ACA healthcare marketplace. Thx for sharing this info for readers..
Youku

Post by Youku »

tj wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:03 am
OpenMinded1 wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:29 am And even if they do cover major work many only pay about half of what the provider charges for the major work. Also, I might be wrong, but I think you will have a tough time finding one that covers implants - crowns yes, implants no.
[ quote fixed by admin LadyGeek]

My husband's plan does cover implants, 50% of the negotiated rate. He is in the process of getting his 5th implant! Thank goodness the first 4 were done when he was still covered by my insurance from work. For the current implant, the total billed amount was around $6,000. Negotiated rate, down to about $4,000. Out of pocket $2,100. Monthly premium $47.00, $2,500 annual max, $50 deductible. I have about 2 more years before my ex employer will drop my dental coverage, I think I will buy the same plan when the time comes. I was told if one can't show continued coverage, there will be a 12 mo waiting period before anything major will be covered.
valleyrock

Post by valleyrock »

+1 A dental school, if there's one around. Half-price by a student, usually, and they are supervised.
OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 »

Youku wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:36 pm
OpenMinded1 wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:29 am And even if they do cover major work many only pay about half of what the provider charges for the major work. Also, I might be wrong, but I think you will have a tough time finding one that covers implants - crowns yes, implants no.
[ quote fixed by admin LadyGeek]

My husband's plan does cover implants, 50% of the negotiated rate. He is in the process of getting his 5th implant! Thank goodness the first 4 were done when he was still covered by my insurance from work. For the current implant, the total billed amount was around $6,000. Negotiated rate, down to about $4,000. Out of pocket $2,100. Monthly premium $47.00, $2,500 annual max, $50 deductible. I have about 2 more years before my ex employer will drop my dental coverage, I think I will buy the same plan when the time comes. I was told if one can't show continued coverage, there will be a 12 mo waiting period before anything major will be covered.
[ quote fixed, duplicate post removed by admin LadyGeek]

I wonder what plan you have. Is it available as something other than an employer plan? How much of the premium, if any, does you former employer pay?
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Personal Finance (Not Investing) forum (insurance).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
RealSunset

Post by RealSunset »

valleyrock wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:01 pm +1 A dental school, if there's one around. Half-price by a student, usually, and they are supervised.
I've been meaning to try a dental school. Is this a reliable option for complicated in-depth work, or mostly for cleanings and basic maintenance? I heard that the school here lets people make appointments with the instructors as well (limited appointments and a longer wait, I believe). I'm thinking of trying that option as well.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

RealSunset wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:30 am
valleyrock wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:01 pm +1 A dental school, if there's one around. Half-price by a student, usually, and they are supervised.
I've been meaning to try a dental school. Is this a reliable option for complicated in-depth work, or mostly for cleanings and basic maintenance? I heard that the school here lets people make appointments with the instructors as well (limited appointments and a longer wait, I believe). I'm thinking of trying that option as well.
many years ago I did this. Had a wisdom tooth extracted. Professor did the procedure while student observed. Student fainted.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
valleyrock

Post by valleyrock »

Yes, dental students are a viable option for in-depth work. They have to learn somehow. You'll be in the chair a lot longer, of course.

There are faculty practices at dental schools. They are full price. I've gotten excellent work at done at dental faculty practices.
Youku

Post by Youku »

OpenMinded1 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:04 am
Youku wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:36 pm

I wonder what plan you have. Is it available as something other than an employer plan? How much of the premium, if any, does you former employer pay?
The company is Cigna, the plan is CA Individual, monthly premium $47.00 with an annual max coverage $2,500. I do get $1,500 HRA $ annually from my ex employer for my husband when he turned 65 and they stopped covering his medical and dental. But the plan was purchased on our own. The way I see it, if he only needs the two cleaning and check ups, plus xray, then we lose a little. Unfortunately, we've won every year he's been on this plan. Good news, bad news thing
smudge

Post by smudge »

I found a good dentist and negotiated for cash discount at time of service.
All those old checks in my checkbook come in handy.
bsteiner

Post by bsteiner »

Youku wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:54 am ...
The company is Cigna, the plan is CA Individual, monthly premium $47.00 with an annual max coverage $2,500. ....
Insurance would be if it didn't cover the first $2,500, but covered everything above $2,500.
bberris

Post by bberris »

Aside from the caps on payment, dental insurance will not cover a pre-existing condition.
bberris

Post by bberris »

Another option is dental tourism. Lots of people get work done in Mexico. My impression is that the prices are about 60 % of US when you go to a top notch place in Cancun.
LaurenRose

Post by LaurenRose »

I am heading to Mexico next week for some restorative dental work. About 40% of the quoted US price and I am staying additionally for a vacation, so all in.

People are keen to mention the negative treatment stories they've heard.

I've done my due diligence - speaking to fellow Americans as well as dental tourists and expats/immigrants living in Mexico.

Unscientifically, I can report that the ratio of positive to negative experience approximates that of people who have all of their dental work done here in the US.
GAAP

Post by GAAP »

We've been happy with Delta Dental -- while employed and while retired.
“Adapt what is useful, reject what is useless, and add what is specifically your own.” ― Bruce Lee
afr

Post by afr »

LaurenRose wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:34 pm I am heading to Mexico next week for some restorative dental work. About 40% of the quoted US price and I am staying additionally for a vacation, so all in.

People are keen to mention the negative treatment stories they've heard.

I've done my due diligence - speaking to fellow Americans as well as dental tourists and expats/immigrants living in Mexico.

Unscientifically, I can report that the ratio of positive to negative experience approximates that of people who have all of their dental work done here in the US.
All well and fine. What if you experience post op problems when you return home?
LaurenRose

Post by LaurenRose »

If I were to develop a problem, I would just see another dentist. I have never seen or heard of a dentist who turns down work.

We're not talking about surgery on a body part or some other type of similar medical treatment. We're talking about dentistry. It's a form of carpentry lol.

Edited to add that I am referring to cleanings, fillings, crowns. I am not sure if I would have an implant done outside of any country I was presently living in (I don't hold the US as special in this regard). Only because implants - no matter where they are performed - can be more problematic than crowns, bridges, fillings. etc. and could require more follow up.
afr

Post by afr »

LaurenRose wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:53 pm If I were to develop a problem, I would just see another dentist. I have never seen or heard of a dentist who turns down work.

We're not talking about surgery on a body part or some other type of similar medical treatment. We're talking about dentistry. It's a form of carpentry lol.

Edited to add that I am referring to cleanings, fillings, crowns. I am not sure if I would have an implant done outside of any country I was presently living in (I don't hold the US as special in this regard). Only because implants - no matter where they are performed - can be more problematic than crowns, bridges, fillings. etc. and could require more follow up.
I was referring to more extensive dental work performed outside of the US. I don’t think many dental tourists would be willing to plunk down big $$$ to have corrective treatment.
LaurenRose

Post by LaurenRose »

There seem to be two categories of dental tourists.

Those who travel specifically for extensive work such that travel costs are eclipsed by the savings in the treatment.

Those who get dental work done tangential to a vacation.

I fall into the second category.

oh and my annual eye exam will be done there too, along with any needed corrective eyewear.
annebert

Post by annebert »

Just to update on my comment about getting dental insurance through ACA, I was lucky that the person I talked to when I canceled my healh plan because I was going on Medicare told me that was allowed. I pay $44 per month, 2 cleanings and 1 x-ray series per year are free, and quoted price for fillings was in the $30 range, crown for $400, and plan pays 60% of the costs for other procedures. And because it's Obamacare, yes, pre-existing conditions ARE covered.
valleyrock

Post by valleyrock »

I lived in Austria for a time, and some people went to Hungary for dental work because it was much less expensive.

Interesting that they have nationalized healthcare in Europe, but that does not include teeth. Nor eyeglasses. They wear funky eyeglasses, which look good, but funky teeth not so much.

Oh, one tip a crackerjack periodontist showed me. Floss every day, of course. But also use Tepe or equivalent brushes. There are gaps between teeth that floss doesn't reach. Bacteria growth is substantial after 24 hours, so get the food out!
afr

Post by afr »

bsteiner wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:35 am Like parachutes and toilet paper, quality is more important than price for most professional services.
And I believe most individuals want that high quality at Walmart prices. JMHO
Lalamimi

Post by Lalamimi »

annebert wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:21 pm Just to update on my comment about getting dental insurance through ACA, I was lucky that the person I talked to when I canceled my healh plan because I was going on Medicare told me that was allowed. I pay $44 per month, 2 cleanings and 1 x-ray series per year are free, and quoted price for fillings was in the $30 range, crown for $400, and plan pays 60% of the costs for other procedures. And because it's Obamacare, yes, pre-existing conditions ARE covered.
Yes, you are lucky. I just checked, and you cannot purchase dental insurance without the medical insurance. It was a good idea, though.
BogleFanGal

Post by BogleFanGal »

valleyrock wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:05 am
Yes, dental students are a viable option for in-depth work. They have to learn somehow. You'll be in the chair a lot longer, of course.

There are faculty practices at dental schools. They are full price. I've gotten excellent work at done at dental faculty practices.
Hope you had more luck than me. I tried that route and was told it would be a 12 month waiting period - just to see someone for an introductory exam/eval, let alone get any work done.
sls239

Post by sls239 »

My dentist office offers a couple different care plans specific for their office for those without dental insurance.

Also, although they are not in-network with my dental insurance, they fill out the paperwork and I get partially reimbursed anyway. And last time I did the math, I still came out ahead on that with just the preventative care.
arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

Circe wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:16 pm Post retirement, I've had United Concordia dental "insurance." It is more like a pre-payment plan. I've tried two different dentists and they're fine for teeth cleaning and x-rays, but it's all I've needed. I knew that it wasn't a great situation but it wasn't at the top of my to-do list. Now it is.

are you a veteran? If so, there are met life dental plans for veterans (my girlfriend's dad has it and had some major work recently, removal of upper teeth and denture made and out of pocket costs were not that bad:
https://www.metlife.com/vadip/

I think his premium for the met life dental is $60-$70 a month.
It's hard to accept the truth when the lies were exactly what you wanted to hear. Investing is simple, but not easy. Buy, hold & rebalance low cost index funds & manage taxable events. Asking Portfolio Questions | Wiki