Need a Water Level for Yard Project - Any Recommendations?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
ruanddu

Need a Water Level for Yard Project - Any Recommendations?

Post by ruanddu »

Building a patio cover in backyard and was looking to find a good water level to make sure I get level right between posts. Do you have any recommendation on ones you have used? Brand and model or a link to product would be appreciated. Thanks.
gokartmozart

Re: Need a Water Level for Yard Project - Any Recommendations?

Post by gokartmozart »

I have a water level which consists of two short (about one foot) long clear tubes with garden hose fittings. One attaches the two clear tubes to the two ends of an ordinary garden hose. This is good because one does not need to buy a long dedicated hose, or store it when not in use. The water level can be made arbitrarily long by connecting multiple garden hoses together. I like it.

To see a photo of what I am talking about, look up product number B00004YZP8 on Amazon. I bought mine about 30 years ago; it's quite similar but not that same product.

If you don't need much distance, another alternative is to simply use a continuous length of clear vinyl tube. Most hardware stores will sell vinyl tube by the foot.
Alex Frakt
Founder

Post by Alex Frakt »

Make your own. Clear aquarium airline tubing, zipties, and some food coloring drops are the budget option. If those aren't long enough, there's also a 300' roll for $24.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

ruanddu wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:41 pm Building a patio cover in backyard and was looking to find a good water level to make sure I get level right between posts. Do you have any recommendation on ones you have used? Brand and model or a link to product would be appreciated. Thanks.
What is your budget?

Do you do DIY projects often that require what a water level does. . or perhaps with more accuracy?

j :D
Personally . . . I use a rotary laser. . . something like this:
(Dewalt rotary laser. . lower line but works well)
Amazon
https://smile.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW074KD ... 125&sr=8-3
Lately, I've been using this for grading for a large landscaping project. It goes out reliably to about 80 feet. More expensive types go farther and a bit brighter. (for construction jobsites, outdoors, etc).

It can also be done with masonry line and a small pocket line level. But, the water level as well.
Last edited by Sandtrap on Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

I would never buy a water level. They're so ridiculously easy to make with a couple of sticks and a length of clear tubing.
bradinsky

Post by bradinsky »

lazydavid wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:19 am I would never buy a water level. They're so ridiculously easy to make with a couple of sticks and a length of clear tubing.
+1 They work for inside & outside projects. Not as cool as a laser, but easy & much more affordable.
JDave

Post by JDave »

When I fenced in my backyard I used a Zircon electronic water level. It beeps when level, and has a fifty foot hose. If you have a big project, it works great.
https://www.amazon.com/Zircon-Contracto ... f9840&th=1
Watty

Post by Watty »

ruanddu wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:41 pm Building a patio cover in backyard and was looking to find a good water level to make sure I get level right between posts.
It is hard for me to picture what you are doing but be sure to research if it should have a slight slant to direct water away from the house. You would still need a level to measure it but you might need to make one side an inch or two higher than the other.
Topic Author
ruanddu

Post by ruanddu »

Thank you everyone for all your replies! Very helpful.