Benefit Plan Enrollment and Taxation for Domestic Partners (DP) and DP Children

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
careerdata

Benefit Plan Enrollment and Taxation for Domestic Partners (DP) and DP Children

Post by careerdata »

Good afternoon,

I am going back to the books on this one from a plan administrator perspective since it has been many years since I had to set up domestic partnerships in PeopleSoft with regard to benefit enrollment and payroll. I am now working with a new HR management system (HRMS) called Ceridian Dayforce with my new employer and it was just decided to offer coverage for domestic partners and children of domestic partners for the next benefit plan year (2023).

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions from fellow plan administrators on how they tackled configuration setup with Ceridian Dayforce (benefits and payroll), and also anyone willing to share how their current employer handles enrollment and taxes of the domestic partner, and how they enroll and tax the children of the domestic partner if they are covered under the same benefit plan.

I don't believe the restriction of reimbursing domestic partner expenses under FSAs has changed but need to confirm with our outside ERISA counsel on the HSA wrinkle in case the domestic partners are filed as dependents of each other on their tax returns.

Many thanks in advance for sharing your experiences and suggestions!

Joe