Which is the best pizza in a chain store?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
mortalsonofmortal

Re: Which is the best pizza in a chain store?

Post by mortalsonofmortal »

Dominos is the best one I have tasted so far. Pizza hut is one of the worst.
AlohaJoe

Post by AlohaJoe »

sharukh wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:06 pm As you can guess, we can't come over to your near by local shop. So only looking for national chain.
Pizza 4ps.

You didn't specify it had to be an American national chain :sharebeer
dboeger1

Post by dboeger1 »

Domino's is my favorite of the big national chains. The occasional Pizza Hut pizza done right might be better, but: 1) Pizza Hut quality has been horribly inconsistent for the past 20 years; 2) Domino's is cheaper, so I kind of just default to it knowing that it's a reliable, affordable choice.

For a more regional chain, I think Round Table in CA is quite excellent, or at least was pre-pandemic. I haven't been to one since the location near my office changed management and got rid of the lunch buffet option. Judging by online reviews, multiple locations have gone downhill since the pandemic, although I think it might still be too early to draw lasting conclusions based on the current environment.

I saw someone mention Mountain Mike's. I would like to cast my vote AGAINST Mountain Mike's. That was the single most disappointing pizza I've ever eaten. I had seen their frozen offerings in stores for years, received mailer coupons, etc., and finally decided to try one years after moving to CA. It doesn't really matter how many little curled up slices of pepperoni you smother your pizza in if they taste like that thin Walmart restroom toilet paper. I think it's an absolute crime that they're as expensive as they are (similar prices to higher-quality local options), yet I would rather have Domino's any day.

Edit: Forgot to mention, don't sleep on DiGiornio's. That was another frozen option I resisted trying for years, mostly because the price is comparable to ordering from Domino's, and I'd rather buy cheaper frozen pizzas for the occasional lazy at-home snack. I finally picked one up a while back when it was on sale at a discount grocery store, and I was absolutely floored by how good it was. It was by far the best frozen pizza I had ever tried. Just to make sure I wasn't crazy, I went online to check other reviews, and many people had similar reactions. I guess their commercials really weren't just gimmicks all those years. It's not delivery, it's DiGiornio's!

Speaking of grocery store frozen pizzas, I've bought so many from Walmart on clearance later in the day. They used to discount them very aggressively, so they came out dirt cheap, and were really easy to prepare in the oven at a moment's notice. Unfortunately, the discounts at my local Walmart are much more modest now with all the crazy inflation. It used to be common to see pizzas listed at $9 or so drop down to $2.50, but now they might only be $0.50 off or so right before closing, so they're not the value they once were.
black jack

Post by black jack »

ClassII wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:35 pm
Bigt3142 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:22 pm Call me crazy but I think Flying J Travel Centers have the best pizza's.
Put me in the “bad pizza is best pizza” category. I eat fancy pizza plenty but there are times where I need to go back to my college kid days with a $5 pizza.
There was a funny piece in Outside online https://www.outsideonline.com/culture/l ... izza-hero/ early in the pandemic in which the author acknowledged that while a good restaurant pizza was usually better than a frozen pizza, it might be a while before restaurant pizzas were readily available again, and even frozen pizza was okay, or in the words of a friend of his in evaluating the quality of any pizza, "how pizza is it?", with restaurant-quality pizza and frozen pizza both scoring 100%.

That's been my motto ever since: how pizza is it?
We cannot absolutely prove [that they are wrong who say] that we have seen our best days. But so said all who came before us, and with just as much apparent reason. | -T. B. Macaulay (1800-1859)
almostretired1965

Post by almostretired1965 »

My go to was the $10 Costco combo from before COVID. Damn shame Costco won't bring it back.
serbeer

Post by serbeer »

Quirkz wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:35 pm Honestly, I like Domino's. For a long time it was pretty bad, but they retooled a while back, and it's generally been better than the other chains I've tried.
+1
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

jayjayc wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:11 pm Grimaldi's Pizza. Yes, it's the same famous pizzeria from Brooklyn but now it's growing nationwide. Their pizza is still fantastic.
I was going to poo poo on all chain pizzas and then you brought up Grimaldi’s. Yes, their pizza is amazing.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | viewtopic.php?p=1139732#p1139732
shmidds

Post by shmidds »

Pizza Hut Pan Pizza. Used to be better before changing the recipe in 2019. They had a cheese-stuffed crust version for a while that was really decadent.

Something about the butter.
Prov227

Post by Prov227 »

We like Marco's. Surprised I didn't see them mentioned. (1,100 locations in 33 states, according to their website.)

I'm told their gluten free option is pretty good, too.
"...and the borrower is slave to the lender." -Proverbs 22:7
celia

Post by celia »

I like Mod Pizza because they have 20 to 30 toppings to choose from. You walk along a counter where you can see a large choice of meats and veggies and they put what you want on top. I usually ask for a double or triple portion of mushrooms and double sauce on the crust.

They can also make you a salad from the same ingredients.

I used to think they were local to us until I saw them in other states when we travel. They may not be in every state, but we try to eat at the ones we notice.
Casper

Post by Casper »

serbeer wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:01 am
Quirkz wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:35 pm Honestly, I like Domino's. For a long time it was pretty bad, but they retooled a while back, and it's generally been better than the other chains I've tried.
+1
+2

If I'm doing a national chain, it's Domino's. Since the "retooling" a few years ago it's been great, and the variety (regular, deep dish, thin) is nice. Yes we order from our local places too. We used to use Papa John's as our chain option, but ours closed briefly for renovations a while back and we tried Domino's--haven't gone back to Papa John's.
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

Having grown up in New Haven, I would say the best pizza is Frank Pepe's. Not a national chain but there approximately 10 franchise locations in southern New England and the tri-state area.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

Prov227 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:45 am We like Marco's. Surprised I didn't see them mentioned. (1,100 locations in 33 states, according to their website.)

I'm told their gluten free option is pretty good, too.
Marco’s is good - I didn’t realize they had so many locations.
vfinx

Post by vfinx »

California Pizza Kitchen, Blue Line and Amici’s are enjoyable to us.
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

Kenkat wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:58 pm If you are talking about a pizza place where you can find in almost any populated area in the US, I would say Dominos. For a regional chain that I would recognize, Mellow Mushroom would be my selection.
Mellow mushroom and Pizzeria Uno would be on my list of almost national chains where I think the pizza has a chance to be better than some random local places. There are a lot of good local places. There are also a lot of pretty bad ones.

The kids love Mod pizza (also not quite a national chains) but something in the sauce gives me stomaches issues.

I have a soft spot for Papa John's but I am pretty sure it is mainly nostogila.
Parthenon

Post by Parthenon »

If you live near an Aldi check out their Mama Cozzi pizza. Around $6 for a 16" pizza. You will be surprised by what you get. I usually get a Pepperoni and you can hardly see the cheese for the amount of meat covering the surface. The cheese pizza is thick with, if memory serves me, four different cheeses.

Ed
"What am I gonna do if I run out of money?"
mnsportsgeek

Post by mnsportsgeek »

Costco
sweetness9

Post by sweetness9 »

dboeger1 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:16 am
For a more regional chain, I think Round Table in CA is quite excellent, or at least was pre-pandemic. I haven't been to one since the location near my office changed management and got rid of the lunch buffet option. Judging by online reviews, multiple locations have gone downhill since the pandemic, although I think it might still be too early to draw lasting conclusions based on the current environment.
+1 for Round Table. They are pretty expensive as chain pizza goes, but their ingredient quality seems much better than many other options. I also like their crispy but billowy crust.
MGBMartin

Post by MGBMartin »

It’s been a while since I’ve been to a pizza chain restaurant but I did read about the Dali Lama visiting Pizza Hut once.
When asked what he would like he answered ‘can you make me one with everything’.
Last edited by MGBMartin on Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bad spellers of the world untie | Autocorrect is my worst enema
JakeyLee
Location: From sea to shining sea. But mostly the south west.

Post by JakeyLee »

jbuzolich wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:42 pm Costco is great. Domino's is nice enough and unbeatable prices. Also love Mod Pizza
I just tried a Mod pizza. I think they just might have a cool little niche going on. *thumbsup*
“On balance, the financial system subtracts value from society” | -John Bogle
BogleFan84

Post by BogleFan84 »

Ditto - I delivered for Domino's in college in the early 80's. This is still our go-to place. Can't beat $7.99 for 3 toppings for good-tasting pizza!
'It's tough to make predictions, especially about the future'
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

I haven't tried Blaze or MOD yet, but I have never found pizza in a national chain that was even as good as a decent frozen pizza. If I HAD to choose a national chain, I'd probably go with Jet's or Giordano's.

I've found excellent local pizza almost anywhere I've attempted to.
DetroitRick

Post by DetroitRick »

Two local chains are my preference for chain store pizza's here - Buscemi's (about 20 around metro Detroit, some franchised some original) and Cottage Inn (around 50 metro Detroit and Ann Arbor).

But our favorite for take-out is a local hole-in-the-wall bakery that does pizza (and pasties and normal bakery items). Really good, home-made, and close. Lot's of great restaurants here that do stellar pizza - those are generally first choice when dining out vs. chain. Darn, now I'm hungry....
matti

Post by matti »

Another vote for Domino's. Also, I really like the flavor of Papa John's, but their crust is too doughy for my liking.
Minty

Post by Minty »

pshonore wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:36 am Having grown up in New Haven, I would say the best pizza is Frank Pepe's. Not a national chain but there approximately 10 franchise locations in southern New England and the tri-state area.
Also having grown up in New Haven, I agree 100%. Went to one of the branches when I was in town a couple of years ago and it was great.
Core Four w/ nominal bonds & TIPS. Refi Rampage: Purchase: 3.875% 30 -> R1 3% 20 -> R2 2.375% 15 -> R3 1.99% 15 -> R4 1.875% 15
notBobToo

Post by notBobToo »

Costco (need a slice in a hurry)
Ledo (when I must have the Deluxe with crispy bacon)
MOD (everyone can get what they want)
Old Chicago (also for the beer tour)
rkhusky

Post by rkhusky »

Pizza preference is in the taste buds of the beholder. My son’s standard by which all other pizzas are judged is Little Caesar’s Hot n Ready cheese pizza.
One Ping

Post by One Ping »

SnowBog wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:09 pm I have found memories of their late night pizza delivery in college (the college pizza place closed earlier and was mostly geese anyway).
Geese??
"Re-verify our range to target ... one ping only."
ekid

Post by ekid »

One Ping wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:19 pm
SnowBog wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:09 pm I have found memories of their late night pizza delivery in college (the college pizza place closed earlier and was mostly geese anyway).
Geese??
Prob'ly means "grease".
jayjayc

Post by jayjayc »

yummmm...geesey pizza.
familythriftmd

Post by familythriftmd »

for larger chains:

Casey's General Store has surprisingly good pizza
Domino's. has good herb/spice profile
Round Table. nice spicy sauce
Papa Murphy's has surprisingly good pizza for take-n-bake
familythriftmd

Post by familythriftmd »

matti wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:50 am Another vote for Domino's. Also, I really like the flavor of Papa John's, but their crust is too doughy for my liking.
Papa John's crust tastes like cardboard, but less good for you.
Iporante

Post by Iporante »

There are a couple of recommendations for Mellow Mushroom, a chain in the Southeast. Beware. My kids love it. My wife loves it. My extended family loves it. In my opinion, it's just not worth eating. The dough is sweet and very dense. :!: Really. I'd rather drive twice the distance and pay half again as much for a neapolitan style pizza. Fortunately, the family is fine with that too as long as I'm paying.
One Ping

Post by One Ping »

ekid wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:32 pm
Geese??
Prob'ly means "grease".
Of course. :oops:
"Re-verify our range to target ... one ping only."
Iporante

Post by Iporante »

familythriftmd wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:36 pm
matti wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:50 am Another vote for Domino's. Also, I really like the flavor of Papa John's, but their crust is too doughy for my liking.
Papa John's crust tastes like cardboard, but less good for you.
And the sauce is sickly sweet.
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

Rosati's pizza is pretty good deep-dish. They're not nationwide like Domino's or Papa John's.
SnowBog

Post by SnowBog »

One Ping wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:47 pm
ekid wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:32 pm
Geese??
Prob'ly means "grease".
Of course. :oops:
I mean - they might have had a geese pizza... I don't remember some of those years as well... :wink:

But yep, meant grease!
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

sycamore wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:03 pm Rosati's pizza is pretty good deep-dish. They're not nationwide like Domino's or Papa John's.
If 13 states is close enough to nationwide, I'll amend my previous answer to say that Rosati's is the only nationwide chain better than a good frozen pizza. :D

Their thin crust is actually even better than their deep dish, but both are excellent.
UNCHEEL

Post by UNCHEEL »

When we first moved to SE CT (suburban NYC), people asked me how I liked it. My standard answer was, "The best part is they don't have a Pizza Hut."

Now living in a college town, there are LOTS of pizza options - some great, some good, and some just cheap. A number of chains are here, but don't make the top 20.
jayjayc

Post by jayjayc »

UNCHEEL wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:32 pm When we first moved to SE CT (suburban NYC), people asked me how I liked it. My standard answer was, "The best part is they don't have a Pizza Hut."
I wasn't going to mention this b/c it's a regional chain, but Papa Gino's in New England was great. Their success is what kept Pizza Hut at bay.
yankees1966

Post by yankees1966 »

You can't beat a local pizza shop that uses fresh dough and other fresh ingredients.

I would imagine most chain pizza shops don't use fresh dough.
FactualFran

Post by FactualFran »

Domino's with Brooklyn Style crust and fresh tomatoes as a topping instead of tomato sauce.
Afty

Post by Afty »

Whole Foods pizza (baked in house in a legit pizza oven, at least where I am) is surprisingly good. I’d call it “good pizza,” not just good for a national chain.

Dominos is also pretty good for the massest of mass market pizzas.
DoubleComma

Post by DoubleComma »

vfinx wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:13 am California Pizza Kitchen, Blue Line and Amici’s are enjoyable to us.
Can't agree with you at all on CPK and haven't tried Blue Line.

But Amici's is fantastic. Shocked there hasn't been more mentions with the number of SF Bay Area folks on here.

And all these folks giving a nod to Dominos is shocking to me. I've not had it in 10+ years, might have to order it again just to see if this "re-booted" pizza is really an improvement.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

DoubleComma wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:26 pm And all these folks giving a nod to Dominos is shocking to me. I've not had it in 10+ years, might have to order it again just to see if this "re-booted" pizza is really an improvement.
IMO, don't bother. We tried maybe 2 years ago. It was just a different kind of awful than before they re-did the recipe.
Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper »

Costco really liked the veggie pie, but plain cheese is pretty good. Ms G and I are sub 24 BMI and we can eat a whole pie on the 3 hour trip back home from our nearest Costco after shopping. :happy
familythriftmd

Post by familythriftmd »

lazydavid wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:41 pm
DoubleComma wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:26 pm And all these folks giving a nod to Dominos is shocking to me. I've not had it in 10+ years, might have to order it again just to see if this "re-booted" pizza is really an improvement.
IMO, don't bother. We tried maybe 2 years ago. It was just a different kind of awful than before they re-did the recipe.
I find it to be quite good, especially their thin crust offerings.
Iporante

Post by Iporante »

Afty wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:14 pm Whole Foods pizza (baked in house in a legit pizza oven, at least where I am) is surprisingly good. I’d call it “good pizza,” not just good for a national chain.

Dominos is also pretty good for the massest of mass market pizzas.
I agree that Whole Foods isn't horrible. Decent ingredients, although our local WF has underproofed the dough more than once out of the few times we've had it.
CC1E

Post by CC1E »

Agree that Whole Foods isn’t bad. And if you want a gut bomb then Costco is a great deal (though calling it pizza is a stretch).

Pepe’s has a small chain outside of New Haven now, so I guess that would be the technical best.
mecht3ach

Post by mecht3ach »

pshonore wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:36 am Having grown up in New Haven, I would say the best pizza is Frank Pepe's. Not a national chain but there approximately 10 franchise locations in southern New England and the tri-state area.
I'm sorry, but OP clearly asked for best pizza, not best apizza. :wink: