Can I get paid to take care of an elderly?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
Vanguard User

Can I get paid to take care of an elderly?

Post by Vanguard User »

Hello. Are there any programs where I can get paid to take care of my elderly mother?

I am in Texas.
Invictus002

Re: Can I get paid to take care of an elderly?

Post by Invictus002 »

JBTX

Post by JBTX »

Such services would probably have to come through Medicaid. First she would have to qualify, then you would have to qualify as a contracted provider, which seems highly doubtful.

https://www.hhs.texas.gov/services/aging

https://www.hhs.texas.gov/services/heal ... sabilities

This may be helpful

https://www.payingforseniorcare.com/pai ... iver/texas

https://www.hhs.texas.gov/services/heal ... s/starplus

These Medicaid waiver programs often have long waiting lists - many years.
BarbBrooklyn

Post by BarbBrooklyn »

Www.Agingcare.com sponsors a forum for caregivers. "How do I get paid to care for my parent?" is the most frequently asked question there.

Most folks who post there have found this route to be financial suicide. Additionally, they end up injured, socially isolated, estranged from family and often unemployable after years out of the non-caregiving work force.

Unless Medicaid is involved, the most frequent route to getting paid for caregiving is for your parent to pay you directly, with a lawyer-prepared caregiver contract in place so that the transfer of funds doesn't appear to be "gifting" when/if Medicaid needs to come into play.

Taxes need to be taken out so that YOUR ability to get SS down the road isn't eroded.

What training do you have to do this job? What are your mother's physical/mental/medical and social needs? Can they be met at home?

Will alterations need to be made to the home? Paying for these (with an eye to Medicaid eligibility) can be a difficult road to navigate.

If mother pays for alterations to your home (and thus increases the value) it's gifting and can result in a long Medicaid penalty period during which she is ineligible.

Tread carefully.
BarbBrooklyn | "The enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Vanguard User wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:31 pm Hello. Are there any programs where I can get paid to take care of my elderly mother?

I am in Texas.
Useful info to provide better context to your question:

1. Does your mother have her estste planning in place (will/trust)?
…What is your position there? (Medical, legal POA, etc etc) (this helps define your role)
….being paid as a caregiver, etc….might or might not have some impact here in the long run….it happens.

2. Do you live in your elderly mother’s home?
…Do you pay rent?

3. Do you have professional certifications, etc (RN, MD, etc)?

4. Have you taken care of the elderly, etc, before and gotten paid for it at a professional level?
…IE: Home care services, Caregiver services, etc.

5. Will this be a full time 40 hr/wk “job” daily or as needed or as needed and shared duties with others?

6. How much per hour of care are you expecting to be paid, gross before taxes, net after either 1099 or etc?

7. Are you currently full time employed with your own work income?

8. Would you be financially reliant on the income you might receive for caregiving services?

highly suggest
seek legal counsel for advice

i hope this is helpful
j🌴

dis laimer: insert standard opinion clauses……..
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

BarbBrooklyn wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:05 am Www.Agingcare.com sponsors a forum for caregivers. "How do I get paid to care for my parent?" is the most frequently asked question there.

Most folks who post there have found this route to be financial suicide. Additionally, they end up injured, socially isolated, estranged from family and often unemployable after years out of the non-caregiving work force.

Unless Medicaid is involved, the most frequent route to getting paid for caregiving is for your parent to pay you directly, with a lawyer-prepared caregiver contract in place so that the transfer of funds doesn't appear to be "gifting" when/if Medicaid needs to come into play.

Taxes need to be taken out so that YOUR ability to get SS down the road isn't eroded.

What training do you have to do this job? What are your mother's physical/mental/medical and social needs? Can they be met at home?

Will alterations need to be made to the home? Paying for these (with an eye to Medicaid eligibility) can be a difficult road to navigate.

If mother pays for alterations to your home (and thus increases the value) it's gifting and can result in a long Medicaid penalty period during which she is ineligible.

Tread carefully.
Very good points
well said

to op:
pay heed to this substantive input.

j🌴
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Lalamimi

Post by Lalamimi »

Was your father a Veteran? If so, and they were not divorced, she might qualify for Aid and Attendance, and yes, you can then be paid from that money, when done properly. Check the VA website.
fposte

Post by fposte »

BarbBrooklyn wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:05 am Www.Agingcare.com sponsors a forum for caregivers. "How do I get paid to care for my parent?" is the most frequently asked question there.

Tread carefully.
These are all excellent points. I'll add one counter-data point: a friend of mine who was already caring for her husband 24/7 without payment found the Medicaid carer payments (state is Illinois) crucial for a household that otherwise would have had no income. I think a case like that, where it's already happening and the question is merely whether some compensation is available, is different than a case where caring is a choice somebody is considering.
aristotelian

Post by aristotelian »

Who would pay you? If you were named legal guardian you could receive compensation from her estate.
Topic Author
Vanguard User

Post by Vanguard User »

Invictus002 wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:07 am I believe its complicated.

https://www.payingforseniorcare.com/pai ... tor?step=1
I checked that site. I was confused.
Topic Author
Vanguard User

Post by Vanguard User »

JBTX wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:36 am Such services would probably have to come through Medicaid. First she would have to qualify, then you would have to qualify as a contracted provider, which seems highly doubtful.

This may be helpful

She has Medicaid. It’s the waiver program I believe through STAR+.
Topic Author
Vanguard User

Post by Vanguard User »

Tread carefully.
Financial suicide as in how? Who is paying me? I don’t want my mother to pay me from her SSI income.

I have no training. She lives with me. She is mostly self sufficient but I take her to places like doctors office. Pickup meds.
Topic Author
Vanguard User

Post by Vanguard User »

Sandtrap wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:43 am
Vanguard User wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:31 pm Hello. Are there any programs where I can get paid to take care of my elderly mother?

I am in Texas.
Useful info to provide better context to your question:

1. Does your mother have her estste planning in place (will/trust)?
…What is your position there? (Medical, legal POA, etc etc) (this helps define your role)
….being paid as a caregiver, etc….might or might not have some impact here in the long run….it happens.

2. Do you live in your elderly mother’s home?
…Do you pay rent?

3. Do you have professional certifications, etc (RN, MD, etc)?

4. Have you taken care of the elderly, etc, before and gotten paid for it at a professional level?
…IE: Home care services, Caregiver services, etc.

5. Will this be a full time 40 hr/wk “job” daily or as needed or as needed and shared duties with others?

6. How much per hour of care are you expecting to be paid, gross before taxes, net after either 1099 or etc?

7. Are you currently full time employed with your own work income?

8. Would you be financially reliant on the income you might receive for caregiving services?

highly suggest
seek legal counsel for advice

i hope this is helpful
j🌴

dis laimer: insert standard opinion clauses……..
She is a widow has zero assets. No estate. SSI income $794 a month and SNAP benefits. No savings. She never had any work history in her life. She has Medicare and Medicaid.

She lives me with me and has been since 2004.

No POA. Never gotten paid.

I am full time employed.
Topic Author
Vanguard User

Post by Vanguard User »

Sandtrap wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:48 am

Tread carefully.
Very good points
well said

to op:
pay heed to this substantive input.

j🌴
Thanks.
Topic Author
Vanguard User

Post by Vanguard User »

Lalamimi wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:55 am Was your father a Veteran? If so, and they were not divorced, she might qualify for Aid and Attendance, and yes, you can then be paid from that money, when done properly. Check the VA website.
No he wasn’t. She is a widow.
Topic Author
Vanguard User

Post by Vanguard User »

fposte wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:45 am

Tread carefully.
These are all excellent points. I'll add one counter-data point: a friend of mine who was already caring for her husband 24/7 without payment found the Medicaid carer payments (state is Illinois) crucial for a household that otherwise would have had no income. I think a case like that, where it's already happening and the question is merely whether some compensation is available, is different than a case where caring is a choice somebody is considering.
Who do I contact?
Topic Author
Vanguard User

Post by Vanguard User »

aristotelian wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:40 pm Who would pay you? If you were named legal guardian you could receive compensation from her estate.
Whoever is sponsoring the program?
jmw

Post by jmw »

+1000

OP, You have no idea how rough this route is going to be once she declines in health. She sounds like she is doing OK for the moment and your sole job is chauffeur and drop her off without staying for the actual appointment. That's good. It won't last. If you're doing more than that already, keep reading.

----

After she declines in health and needs assistance to perform some of the five basic activities of daily living (ADLs):

In general, you should outsource 100% of it and do none of the work other than outsource planning.

Best solution is to pay for assisted living. Sounds like you both don't have the money for that.

Next best solution is to get Medicaid to provide hours and pay a caregiver other than you to do the work. The work is very hard and draining. Moderate to major injuries that you never 100% recover from are a real thing. You should be focusing on your career job and collecting that paycheck. At least at my employer, you will be noticed if you take time off here and there like long lunch hours to take mother to doctor's appointments and be present at the doctor. Don't take a second job as a caregiver.

If you decide to become a poorly paid full-time caregiver, I give you very poor odds that you ever will be able to return to your old career. If you think the full-time caregiver stint is going to be just six months or a year, I'll bet the house against that and predict it will be more like five years. If you try to do full-time caregiver plus your day job, good luck with that because you are going to need a lot of it.
Supergrover

Post by Supergrover »

Is your mom at the level where she needs help with her Activities of Daily Living? It doesn’t sound like she needs that kind of help yet.
goingup

Post by goingup »

(Not an answer about getting paid but...)
Consider using a transportation service that may be offered through the county/city or healthcare provider to take your mother to appointments. I volunteered for many years with Kaiser Permanente Transportation Services and drove seniors to their appointments, waited for them, and drove them home. This could be a help to you, as a full-time worker. It's also (usually) a pleasant experience for the senior, who gets an opportunity to meet new people and feel a little more independent.
Topic Author
Vanguard User

Post by Vanguard User »

jmw wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:54 pm

+1000

OP, You have no idea how rough this route is going to be once she declines in health. She sounds like she is doing OK for the moment and your sole job is chauffeur and drop her off without staying for the actual appointment. That's good. It won't last. If you're doing more than that already, keep reading.

----

After she declines in health and needs assistance to perform some of the five basic activities of daily living (ADLs):

In general, you should outsource 100% of it and do none of the work other than outsource planning.

Best solution is to pay for assisted living. Sounds like you both don't have the money for that.

Next best solution is to get Medicaid to provide hours and pay a caregiver other than you to do the work. The work is very hard and draining. Moderate to major injuries that you never 100% recover from are a real thing. You should be focusing on your career job and collecting that paycheck. At least at my employer, you will be noticed if you take time off here and there like long lunch hours to take mother to doctor's appointments and be present at the doctor. Don't take a second job as a caregiver.

If you decide to become a poorly paid full-time caregiver, I give you very poor odds that you ever will be able to return to your old career. If you think the full-time caregiver stint is going to be just six months or a year, I'll bet the house against that and predict it will be more like five years. If you try to do full-time caregiver plus your day job, good luck with that because you are going to need a lot of it.
She has signs of Alzheimer’s and is 80 but can decline in few years.

She has Medicaid and the waiver on STAR+.
I know Medicaid will 100% cover get assisted home costs but we really don’t want to put her there. She doesn’t want to go there either.

I wanted to get paid for what I am already doing now like taking her out to doctors appointment and groceries.
Topic Author
Vanguard User

Post by Vanguard User »

Supergrover wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:33 pm Is your mom at the level where she needs help with her Activities of Daily Living? It doesn’t sound like she needs that kind of help yet.
No. She can do everything. She never learned to drive so I take her out to places and appointments.
Topic Author
Vanguard User

Post by Vanguard User »

goingup wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:05 pm (Not an answer about getting paid but...)
Consider using a transportation service that may be offered through the county/city or healthcare provider to take your mother to appointments. I volunteered for many years with Kaiser Permanente Transportation Services and drove seniors to their appointments, waited for them, and drove them home. This could be a help to you, as a full-time worker. It's also (usually) a pleasant experience for the senior, who gets an opportunity to meet new people and feel a little more independent.
Not sure if she would feel comfortable going out with another person. Her English is not good.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

Vanguard User wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:47 pm
JBTX wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:36 am Such services would probably have to come through Medicaid. First she would have to qualify, then you would have to qualify as a contracted provider, which seems highly doubtful.

This may be helpful

Did you look at the links? One mentioned family members getting paid. I don’t know much about this but seems like those bottom links could point you in the right direction. Good luck.
For certain services, STAR+PLUS allows the care recipient to choose their own service provider / caregiver. STAR+PLUS allows beneficiaries to choose family members to provide them with care. The state Medicaid program then pays that family member for doing so. The flexibility to choose one’s caregiver is referred to as “consumer directed care”.
Topic Author
Vanguard User

Post by Vanguard User »

JBTX wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:37 pm

This may be helpful

Did you look at the links? One mentioned family members getting paid. I don’t know much about this but seems like those bottom links could point you in the right direction. Good luck.
For certain services, STAR+PLUS allows the care recipient to choose their own service provider / caregiver. STAR+PLUS allows beneficiaries to choose family members to provide them with care. The state Medicaid program then pays that family member for doing so. The flexibility to choose one’s caregiver is referred to as “consumer directed care”.
This means Medicaid would pay me? Also depends on what kind of care I am giving?
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

Vanguard User wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:45 pm

This may be helpful

This means Medicaid would pay me? Also depends on what kind of care I am giving?
Presumably yes. Again I know little about this stuff. You’ll have to dig into the links and go from there.
fposte

Post by fposte »

Vanguard User wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:45 pm

This may be helpful

The details will be dependent on the program, which will differ from state to state. You're going to need to contact the program to get the real information; there's too much riding on it for you to proceed based just on random people from the internet.
NerdJock

Post by NerdJock »

if you are being paid it is income.
Income would be taxable, wouldn't it ?
musicmom

Post by musicmom »

Contact your state Medicaid program (STARS+?). They can tell you if their program provides for payment to self hire caregivers for your Mom.

In NJ, we have a disabled adult daughter with Medicaid. Our state program can provide direct payment to individuals who help seniors and disabled with cooking, dressing, bathing, grocery shopping, house cleaning, Dr appointments, etc. Budget amount is determined by an evaluation of needs by an RN. Hourly salary set by the eligible revipient. The budget can be used to hire agency caregivers BUT also family members.
I worked for my daughter for several years while she still lived with us and I cared for her.
When she moved to a shared living home this budget stopped as she then had other Medicaid support services.

The NJ plan is called the Personal Preference Plan. I wonder if your state has something similar. Wish you the best.
InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams »

OP, even being the coordinator of care can be quite a job.

It sounds like you have some time on your side - your mom is still independent in her ADLs and still mostly making sense.

Do you feel she's safe staying home alone while you work? A first step could be adult day care. There may be good ones that provide care based on a sliding scale.

And now may be the best time to look for a care facility that will take her Medicaid, and get her wait listed if they will do that. Unfortunately, tho no one wants to leave their home for a care facility, oftentimes, especially with limited resources, that's the only realistic choice.

The 36 Hour Day is an excellent resource. It can probably be borrowed from your library.

Another method is to develop your "team" - other family or community members that can take on specific tasks. Grocery shopping, taking your mom for hair cuts, sitting with her at specific times. Delegate!

Alzheimer's Association, both their website and their nearest office, may have useful resources, too.
BarbBrooklyn

Post by BarbBrooklyn »

OP;

Please take this in the spirit in which it is intended, which is kindly--you have a LOT you need to learn. Most of us did at the outset. I certainly had a steep learning curve.

Texas Medicaid--through the STAR waiver program-- will pay for ASSISTANCE with ADLs in Assisted Living. It WILL NOT pay for room and board.

https://www.payingforseniorcare.com/med ... ted-living

PLEASE start looking at rehab and NH facilities NOW. Eventually, an event will occur which will result in the need for rehab. You need to have a list in mind of acceptable places, so you're not running around during work hours trying to find an acceptable one.

You need to read up on ADLs and IDLs-- Activities of Daily Lining and Instrumental Activities of Daily Living.

This informs the question of "can I get paid?" because it has to be framed in terms of what ADLs and IDLs mom can't do, not "what she would prefer". Is there public transport for seniors she can use? Meals on Wheels ? Adult Day Care?

Call your local Area Agency on Aging, which is sometimes a private agency the county contracts with. Talking to a knowledgeable social worker there can clarify much of this morass for you.

Best of luck. And please remember AgingCare.com
punkinhead

Post by punkinhead »

BarbBrooklyn wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:35 pm

PLEASE start looking at rehab and NH facilities NOW. Eventually, an event will occur which will result in the need for rehab. You need to have a list in mind of acceptable places, so you're not running around during work hours trying to find an acceptable one.

Boy is this ever timely for me. My mother was in an accident last week and spent 7 days in ICU and needs to transition to assisted living for rehab for 3-4 months. Fortunately she's of sound mind and is a retired elder care social worker so she knows how to evaluate facilities and has found the one she wants. The past week has been incredibly hectic dealing with doctors, insurance, temporary living (I'm from out of state), and the fact that my brother is also in a hospital. If I had to search for assisted living on top of all that I'd be in a world of hurt. There are a lot of bad places out there and my mom saw the best and worst of them when she was working but I know next to nothing about it. It's something the OP should get ahead of.
BarbBrooklyn

Post by BarbBrooklyn »

punkinhead wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:44 pm
BarbBrooklyn wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:35 pm

Boy is this ever timely for me. My mother was in an accident last week and spent 7 days in ICU and needs to transition to assisted living for rehab for 3-4 months. Fortunately she's of sound mind and is a retired elder care social worker so she knows how to evaluate facilities and has found the one she wants. The past week has been incredibly hectic dealing with doctors, insurance, temporary living (I'm from out of state), and the fact that my brother is also in a hospital. If I had to search for assisted living on top of all that I'd be in a world of hurt. There are a lot of bad places out there and my mom saw the best and worst of them when she was working but I know next to nothing about it. It's something the OP should get ahead of.
I'm so glad your mom planned for this!

Our mom THOUGHT she had, and we did too. Mom lived near the famed Burke Institute in Westchester. Little did we know that they only do ACUTE rehab. So when sub-acute was what was needed, we were the proverbial deer in the headlights.