Speedy Social Security Processing!

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
workingfornow

Speedy Social Security Processing!

Post by workingfornow »

I'm turning 70 in mid-November. On July 1, 4 months before I wanted to start my benefits, I applied on-line for social security.
Using the advice I received on these boards, I noted in 2 places that I did not want retroactive benefits:
1) When to start retirement benefits--I said benefits should start the month/year I turned 70
Specific reason this start date was selected: Other
Description of other reason: Maximum delayed retirement credits.

2) under "Remarks" at end of application
"I am choosing to receive MAXIMUM delayed retirement credits and do NOT want my benefits to be paid retroactively.

Also--I wanted the maximum (22%) withheld from my SS checks, and while the instructions stated one could ask at the time of application, there was no place on the form that I could see to indicate that. So, under "Remarks" I also wrote:
"I would like to have 22% federal tax withheld from my benefits"

My timeline for approval was:
July 1--applied on-line
July 9--received a "benefit verification letter" posted to mysocialsecurity indicating that my benefits would start in November 2022 and first check would be received in December 2022. The full monthly SS benefit without deductions was exactly the same as had been estimated on my most recent social security statement.
July 18th: I received a snail mail letter from SSA letting me know that my first check would be received in December and that 22% federal tax would be withheld as I requested. Of interest, the amount withheld was 22% of the full social security benefit--I wasn't sure if they would withhold 22% of the taxable 85% of my benefit.

So--a very smooth experience. And if you want withholding, just note it in the "remarks" section when you apply--it may save you from having to fill out and mail a W-4V later.
jebmke

Re: Speedy Social Security Processing!

Post by jebmke »

Thanks for posting. I turn 70 in Jan, 2023 so will be doing this process in the fall.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
like2read

Post by like2read »

Yes, many thanks for posting.

:sharebeer

l2r
cadreamer2015

Post by cadreamer2015 »

I turn 70 in September. I applied on line on May 1 for my Social Security retirement benefit to start in September for maximum delayed retirement benefits. I still have not heard anything from Social Security. When I check my benefits on line it shows they are still starting step 2 of the 3 step verification process.

I finally reached someone at Social Security on the phone who told me my application was decided on July 20 and to wait until late August or early September for a benefit letter from Social Security. Hope it all works out. Not much else I can do.
De gustibus non disputandum est
vested1

Post by vested1 »

Congratulations.

I got my first age 70 deposit on August 10th. Application and approval went smoothly. I transitioned from a restricted application on my wife's PIA to my own benefit, with a birthday in early July.

Be aware that taxes are taken out after Medicare premiums are deducted, so the amount of tax taken out may be slightly less than you have estimated. My wife and I take out 10% for federal taxes.

Welcome to the SS at 70 club. We are much more prolific on this forum than in the general population. I have only met one person who delayed until 70. Most friends and family thought I was foolish when they found out I was delaying. The best policy is not to tell anyone IMHO. I only told someone when they asked for advice.

What surprised me was the feeling of accomplishment when the deposit finally arrived. It felt better than when we paid off the mortgage.
jcpct

Post by jcpct »

Another thanks for posting. I just received a letter from SSA telling me to apply. I will be turning 70 in December and plan to use your example as a guide for when I apply.
Wilderness Librarian

Post by Wilderness Librarian »

cadreamer2015 wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:29 pm I turn 70 in September. I applied on line on May 1 for my Social Security retirement benefit to start in September for maximum delayed retirement benefits. I still have not heard anything from Social Security. When I check my benefits on line it shows they are still starting step 2 of the 3 step verification process.

I finally reached someone at Social Security on the phone who told me my application was decided on July 20 and to wait until late August or early September for a benefit letter from Social Security. Hope it all works out. Not much else I can do.
I too turn 70 in Sept. Applied late July by phone. Local agent gave me a bit of rough time over WEP paperwork but that was confusing to everybody concerned. Had to mail in originals of copies I already sent. They have returned these but no additional word. Don't expect agent to call unless he wants more paperwork. I think things are resolved but not sure. Realize it may be late Sept. or October before I hear.
You Know What I Mean

Post by You Know What I Mean »

vested1 wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:33 am Welcome to the SS at 70 club. We are much more prolific on this forum than in the general population. I have only met one person who delayed until 70. Most friends and family thought I was foolish when they found out I was delaying. The best policy is not to tell anyone IMHO. I only told someone when they asked for advice.

What surprised me was the feeling of accomplishment when the deposit finally arrived. It felt better than when we paid off the mortgage.
I had the same reaction to that first deposit after age 70. Of course, part of that may have been satisfaction with still being alive after age 70.
"Well, she was just seventeen, You Know What I Mean, and the way she looked... was way beyond compare."
InNameOnly

Post by InNameOnly »

workingfornow wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:17 pm I'm turning 70 in mid-November. On July 1, 4 months before I wanted to start my benefits, I applied on-line for social security.
Using the advice I received on these boards, I noted in 2 places that I did not want retroactive benefits:
1) When to start retirement benefits--I said benefits should start the month/year I turned 70

"I am choosing to receive MAXIMUM delayed retirement credits and do NOT want my benefits to be paid retroactively.

Also--I wanted the maximum (22%) withheld from my SS checks, and while the instructions stated one could ask at the time of application, there was no place on the form that I could see to indicate that. So, under "Remarks" I also wrote:

July 1--applied on-line
July 9--received a "benefit verification letter" posted to mysocialsecurity indicating that my benefits would start in November 2022 and first check would be received in December 2022. The full monthly SS benefit without deductions was exactly the same as had been estimated on my most recent social security statement.
July 18th: I received a snail mail letter from SSA letting me know that my first check would be received in December and that 22% federal tax would be withheld as I requested. Of interest, the amount withheld was 22% of the full social security benefit--I wasn't sure if they would withhold 22% of the taxable 85% of my benefit.

So--a very smooth experience. And if you want withholding, just note it in the "remarks" section when you apply--it may save you from having to fill out and mail a W-4V later.
Thank you for this post. I hopefully turn 70 next Spring and will start my SS then. I'm bookmarking this thread.
The realist sees the glass as completely full, 50% water and 50% air.
hulburt1

Post by hulburt1 »

thanks 4/11/23 When should I do the paper work? So would you rather have tax from SS then my IRA?
hulburt1

Post by hulburt1 »

thanks 4/11/23 When should I do the paper work? So would you rather have tax from SS then my IRA?
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

hulburt1 wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:12 am thanks 4/11/23 When should I do the paper work? So would you rather have tax from SS then my IRA?
I would be glad to allow you to pay my taxes from your IRA.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
dowse

Post by dowse »

I played the restricted scope application game to maximize total benefits for a married couple. While collecting a spousal benefit, I applied online in December 2021 to start my own benefits in March 2022. It wasn't processed until early March. Found out that only then could my wife apply on her own in order to then switch from her own to a spousal benefit. Ended up doing that by phone with our local SS office in April. Despite a few uncertainties and unanswered questions, everything worked out just as expected. She got a retroactive differential payment for March, plus the new spousal benefit she was entitled to. I got my new benefit payment on time. Now on auto-pilot. It seems to vary, but in some places, SS seems to sit on applications until the requested start date is near. At least that was the case with us.
Eagle33

Post by Eagle33 »

dowse wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:28 am It seems to vary, but in some places, SS seems to sit on applications until the requested start date is near. At least that was the case with us.
It probably depends on how many applications they have for the months prior to your start date. If there is not many they get to yours quicker than if they have a few million to get done in the months before yours, then yours would get done closer to your start month. Who of us knows what is in the SS queue ahead of us at any given time?!
BarbK

Post by BarbK »

That was really smart to use the comments area for the tax withheld. I wish I thought of that.

I still need to mail in the W-4V form. And still uncertain if I should put only my SS# on line 4, since the examples have an A or other letters following a SS#.

For people yet to apply: Be sure to download your statement before applying because it will not be available after applying (at least for awhile).
WhatsUpB

Post by WhatsUpB »

Thanks for laying out the process! Need to help my mother-in-law file here in a few years.
Wilderness Librarian

BarbK wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:56 pm That was really smart to use the comments area for the tax withheld. I wish I thought of that.

I still need to mail in the W-4V form. And still uncertain if I should put only my SS# on line 4, since the examples have an A or other letters following a SS#.

For people yet to apply: Be sure to download your statement before applying because it will not be available after applying (at least for awhile).
If you apply on the phone to your nearby field office you only need to tell them the per cent reduction - but choices are limited to those on the W-4V
dowse

Post by dowse »

I had to mail a W4V form to my local SS office. Didn't find another way.
BarbK

Post by BarbK »

Wilderness Librarian wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:55 am
BarbK wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:56 pm That was really smart to use the comments area for the tax withheld. I wish I thought of that.

If you apply on the phone to your nearby field office you only need to tell them the per cent reduction - but choices are limited to those on the W-4V
Thanks, I applied online when I got the letter in the mail saying it was time to apply. That was in early July (for November birthday). I didn't get a snail mail confirmation like the OP but online it indicates I have been approved but will still say pending until the month it takes effect. I am actually concerned that if I call, it will get messed up. My husband (age 65 now) got a letter recently about taking spousal; his benefit is higher so definitely don't want to do that.
BarbK

Post by BarbK »

dowse wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:11 am I had to mail a W4V form to my local SS office. Didn't find another way.
Had SS notified you what letter to enter after your SS# on line 4?
How long before your first SS deposit did you mail in the W4V form?
dowse

Post by dowse »

BarbK wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:29 am
dowse wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:11 am I had to mail a W4V form to my local SS office. Didn't find another way.
I think I left line 4 blank. Maybe the person who processed it in the local office filled it in. I sent the form in in mid-March. April deposit had no withholding. May deposit had the requested witholding.
BarbK

Post by BarbK »

dowse wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:50 am
I think I left line 4 blank. Maybe the person who processed it in the local office filled it in. I sent the form in in mid-March. April deposit had no withholding. May deposit had the requested witholding.
Thank you. I will try similar.
dowse

Post by dowse »

BarbK wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:53 am
dowse wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:50 am
Thank you. I will try similar.
I'm not recommending you leave it blank. Re-reading the instructions, I think I erred in not filling it out. Still worked out for me. I wouldn't want to guarantee it will work out for you. Best to check with SS.
cadreamer2015

Post by cadreamer2015 »

Update on my Social Security retirement benefit application. My 70th birthday is in September. On May 1 I filed my application on line for retirement benefits to start in September (payable in October) when I turn 70 for maximum DRCs. I’ve been checking the mySocialSecurity website frequently. No communication from Social Security until now. When I went online to mySocialSecurity this morning there is a letter dated today, August 27, showing my application has been approved and I will start receiving benefits in October.

So be aware that processing your application can take almost 4 months if you apply on the first date eligible to submit an application. Not the 2-4 weeks the mySocialSecurity website claims that “most” applications take.
De gustibus non disputandum est
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

I have read in another thread that if one is already receiving a spousal benefit and is ready to switch to own benefit [my case], this cannot be done online. Can anyone confirm or refute that?

Thanks
Chip

Post by Chip »

jebmke wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:13 am I have read in another thread that if one is already receiving a spousal benefit and is ready to switch to own benefit [my case], this cannot be done online. Can anyone confirm or refute that?

Thanks
That wasn't our experience. In our case the person receiving spousal benefits (via a restricted filing) was able to file for their own benefit online. But the person receiving their own benefit wasn't able to file for an additional spousal benefit online. That had to be done via a phone interview, which SSA initiated.

I believe you mentioned in another thread that your spouse's own benefit is higher than the spousal benefit based on your work record. I think if that's the case you would only need to file for your benefit online.

I should mention that despite being able to file online, SSA called to confirm details of the online application. This was the same phone call mentioned above, though the rep treated them as two distinct "interviews".
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Chip wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:37 pm
jebmke wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:13 am I have read in another thread that if one is already receiving a spousal benefit and is ready to switch to own benefit [my case], this cannot be done online. Can anyone confirm or refute that?

Thanks
That wasn't our experience. In our case the person receiving spousal benefits (via a restricted filing) was able to file for their own benefit online. But the person receiving their own benefit wasn't able to file for an additional spousal benefit online. That had to be done via a phone interview, which SSA initiated.

I believe you mentioned in another thread that your spouse's own benefit is higher than the spousal benefit based on your work record. I think if that's the case you would only need to file for your benefit online.

I should mention that despite being able to file online, SSA called to confirm details of the online application. This was the same phone call mentioned above, though the rep treated them as two distinct "interviews".
Thanks. I may give the local office a call and see how busy they are. It is not out of my way and if they are not busy, it might be possible to just stop in and get it done. If not, I'll try online.
dowse

Post by dowse »

Thanks

That my have been me, because that was my (our) experience.
dowse

Post by dowse »

jebmke wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:23 pm

Thanks

Thanks. I may give the local office a call and see how busy they are. It is not out of my way and if they are not busy, it might be possible to just stop in and get it done. If not, I'll try online.
I don't know if things have changed, but earlier (1st quarter) this year, local SS offices were only doing in-person interviews for certain critical situations and then by appointment only. Most business was being handled by phone appointments, which in the case of our local office, were booked out for several weeks.
Wilderness Librarian

jebmke wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:23 pm

Thanks

Local offices seem to have some autonomy in how they handle these matters. Mine is doing phone interviews only and I had to wait 5 weeks. They told me they may never offer in person appointments again.
InNameOnly

Post by InNameOnly »

workingfornow wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:17 pm I'm turning 70 in mid-November. On July 1, 4 months before I wanted to start my benefits, I applied on-line for social security.

July 1--applied on-line

I'm bumping this thread in part to share my joy, but mostly to affirm for anyone 70 and applying for Social Security that using the OP's remarks when filling out the application works successfully. While I did not get the speedy turn around time, I did use the highlighted remarks and have received notice that my application has been approved and will receive the correct maximum amount. So thank you workingfornow, for sharing this info.
The realist sees the glass as completely full, 50% water and 50% air.
windpig

Post by windpig »

has anybody had to supply a birth certificate, passport, etc. when applying for benefits. I set up my online account about 3 years ago when applying for medicare. I'll be applying for SS in 20 months.
Topic Author
workingfornow

Post by workingfornow »

InNameOnly wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 1:52 pm

July 1--applied on-line

I'm bumping this thread in part to share my joy, but mostly to affirm for anyone 70 and applying for Social Security that using the OP's remarks when filling out the application works successfully. While I did not get the speedy turn around time, I did use the highlighted remarks and have received notice that my application has been approved and will receive the correct maximum amount. So thank you workingfornow, for sharing this info.
I’ve now gotten my first 3 SS checks and I can confirm it feels really good! I’m glad to have waiting til 70 to collect.
beyou

Post by beyou »

workingfornow wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:55 pm
InNameOnly wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 1:52 pm

July 1--applied on-line

I’ve now gotten my first 3 SS checks and I can confirm it feels really good! I’m glad to have waiting til 70 to collect.
Why ask for max taxes withheld ?
22% is probably a common tax bracket, but some have lower, and also some do not have ss taxed at all ! Even those in higher income levels, only 85% taxed. I hate getting refunds, means I overpaid.
Topic Author
workingfornow

Post by workingfornow »

I’m still working and 85% of my SS will be taxed at my marginal rate, which is higher than 22%. As it is, I had to increase my W-2 withholding as well or pay quarterly estimated taxes to ensure I don’t get hit with a penalty.