Dark Chocolate heads Rejoice !!!

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
untouchablePORD

Re: Dark chocolate addicts: how much do you eat?

Post by untouchablePORD »

FactualFran wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:30 pm
untouchablePORD wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:00 pm This is the correct answer. For whatever reason with Lindt, 85% is gross, 95% is too bitter, and 90% is just right.
Whether it is the correct answer depends on whether having cocoa powder processed with alkali is part of the correct answer.
Interesting. What would you recommend?
“2.4 Worrying Selectively | Since all models are wrong the scientist must be alert to what is importantly wrong. It is inappropriate to be concerned about mice when there are tigers abroad." — Box
mdavis6890

Re: Dark chocolate addicts: what do you eat?

Post by mdavis6890 »

You’re not a real connoisseur unless you make the chocolate yourself from beans. You can be forgiven for buying the nibs pre roasted though, as winnowing is no fun.
FactualFran

Post by FactualFran »

untouchablePORD wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:37 pm Interesting. What would you recommend?
Trader Joe's 85% Single Origin Uganda Bar. However, it is a matter of personal preference.
cablaze

Post by cablaze »

retire57 wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:43 pm I allow myself one square after dinner. I've tried various brands of the 72% and, to my surprise, I like the Sam's Choice offering the best. And it's the least expensive I've found - about $1.98 per bar. Found at Sam's Club and WMT.
+1
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

ByThePond wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:38 pm Many here are speaking of two squares of about 80% chocolate. My standard daily treat is two squares of Dove dark.

Imagine my joy at learning that Dove dark is only 53% chocolate.

Now I get to eat three a day.

Yippee!
I don't understand this. Do you have a mild allergy to cocoa or caffeine, and can therefore only have so much? Why does a particular treat having less cocoa and more sugar automatically mean the portion size should increase?
chipperd

Post by chipperd »

Cacao powder mixed with boiling water, cream and honey. Mmmmmm.
"A portfolio is like a bar of soap, the more it's handled, the less there is." Dr. William Bernstein
blueberrypi

Post by blueberrypi »

I like Lindt 85% but I have been buying these.. alot.
https://www.chocolate.lindt.com/lindt-e ... 55-bar-80g
Jack Harkness

Post by Jack Harkness »

DiamondplateDave wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:20 pm I buy the 85% Moser Roth bars from Aldi. $1.99 for 4.4 oz. Has five individually wrapped squares, 160 cal. ea. The other varieties are also good.
Like others here, I find it's better to set out a portion, and remove myself from 'the mother lode'.
I'll second the Moser Roth bars from Aldi! I typically stick to the 70% bars though.
victw

Post by victw »

I am not the connoisseur in the house. I have had success buying from Bar & Cocoa as gifts for my husband. They have an outstanding selection.
https://barandcocoa.com/

He is also thrilled that our home base - San Antonio has a small shop that makes excellent bars.

Vicki
minesweep
Location: 27,000 light years from the Galactic Center of the Milky Way Galaxy (the suburbs)

Post by minesweep »

MishkaWorries wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:49 pm I really like Aldi's Choceur dark chocolate with hazel nuts. It's not super dark but it has a nice flavor and very good price.

I eat about 1/2 ounce per day (15 grams).
Ditto on the Aldi's Choceur dark chocolate (plain). I eat one square after dinner with a heaping teaspoon of peanut butter (a yummy combination) and a few ounces of milk.
Time is your friend; impulse is your enemy - John Bogle | Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others, it's cheaper! - John Bogle
angelescrest

Post by angelescrest »

Vtsax100 wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:43 pm I think the Lindt 78% is the sweet spot. I load up on it when I can.
Thanks, I’ll have to keep a look out for that.
Topic Author
Horton

Re: Dark Chocolate heads Rejoice !!!

Post by Horton »

I’ve been on a Trader Joe’s kick lately. I’ve tried a variety of their bars and they’ve all been very good. Plus, they are much cheaper than the name brands. :moneybag
80% global equities (faith-based tilt) + 20% TIPS (LDI)
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

These days my chocolate fix is the dark chocolate powder atop Lidl imported Italian tiramisu.
anoop

Post by anoop »

I thought of this thread yesterday. I haven’t been buying much chocolate, other than the drinking kind (coconut milk by treehouse originals). But yesterday I decided to get 4 small individually wrapped pieces of Raaka dark chocolate with coconut milk intending to refrigerate them when I got home and have one a day. Unfortunately, I finished all of them before I made it home.
Last edited by anoop on Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3hrs

Post by 3hrs »

How about an Unsweetened Chocolate Baking Bar? This spring I scored a stack of 4 oz bars for a dollar each at Wal-Mart, threw some 13 gm squares into my backpacking treat bags and liked them so much I now have a small square after lunch every day. My family is not on board with my new treats so the bars never disappear from the pantry.
MadHungarian

Post by MadHungarian »

My current favorite, boo hiss!, is Reeses Thins, in dark 'chocolate' and white 'something'.
I say 'chocolate' in quotes because with this Reeses hoi-polloi low-end stuff, who knows whether there's any real chocolate in it.
MadHungarian

Post by MadHungarian »

3hrs wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:53 pm How about an Unsweetened Chocolate Baking Bar? This spring I scored a stack of 4 oz bars for a dollar each at Wal-Mart, threw some 13 gm squares into my backpacking treat bags and liked them so much I now have a small square after lunch every day. My family is not on board with my new treats so the bars never disappear from the pantry.
Ooh, i still have bad memories of that one that as a little kid i crawled up to the upper cupboard to eat. I never did that again!
manuvns

Post by manuvns »

what is the best sugar free dark chocolate ? how does walmart brand sams choice compare to anything else ?
Thanks!
anoop

Post by anoop »

manuvns wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:57 pm what is the best sugar free dark chocolate ? how does walmart brand sams choice compare to anything else ?
Are you looking for something with sweetener alternatives (e.g. stevia, honey, maple syrup, etc.) or something with no sweetener at all (very bitter)?
dknightd

Post by dknightd »

FactualFran wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:48 pm
untouchablePORD wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:37 pm Interesting. What would you recommend?
Trader Joe's 85% Single Origin Uganda Bar. However, it is a matter of personal preference.
I like Trader Joe’s dark chocolate peanut butter cups. Almost like heathy treats. I’ll give the Ugandan bars a try
Retired 2019. So far, so good. I want to wake up every morning. But I want to die in my sleep. Just another conundrum. I think the solution might be afternoon naps ;)
FactualFran

Post by FactualFran »

dknightd wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:57 pm I like Trader Joe’s dark chocolate peanut butter cups. Almost like heathy treats. I’ll give the Ugandan bars a try
Trader Joe's dark chocolate peanut butter cups are excellent but sweeter than a 85% bar.
manuvns

Post by manuvns »

anoop wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:24 pm
manuvns wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:57 pm what is the best sugar free dark chocolate ? how does walmart brand sams choice compare to anything else ?
Are you looking for something with sweetener alternatives (e.g. stevia, honey, maple syrup, etc.) or something with no sweetener at all (very bitter)?
something with no sweetener at all
Thanks!
anoop

Post by anoop »

manuvns wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:34 am
No experience with those although I have seen a few and had a sample a couple of times — Dandelion (I don’t see it listed on their website now), Raaka. Too bitter for me.
Vanguard User

Post by Vanguard User »

I get 90%+ cacao. Either Ghirardelli or Lindt. Whichever is on sale. I mainly eat it for health purpose. 1 small square a day. There is hardly any sugar in it. Store brands are loaded with added sugar (don’t get those).
bfeenix44

Post by bfeenix44 »

Vosges.
Great chocolate.
Also, very entertaining.
https://www.vosgeschocolate.com/product ... c-crystals
Portfolio here: | https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=345748&p=5936072#p5936072
anoop

Post by anoop »

bfeenix44 wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:25 pm Vosges.
Great chocolate.
Also, very entertaining.
https://www.vosgeschocolate.com/product ... c-crystals
Looks interesting. Ordered some.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

runner3081 wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:26 pm Zero. Don’t do sweets. Used to eat a lot, though.
I don't eat sweets either. I buy 100% cacao chocolate from Chocosphere, https://www.chocosphere.com/default/per ... rcent.html .

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
bstevlin

Post by bstevlin »

VictoriaF wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:07 pm
runner3081 wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:26 pm Zero. Don’t do sweets. Used to eat a lot, though.
I don't eat sweets either. I buy 100% cacao chocolate from Chocosphere, https://www.chocosphere.com/default/per ... rcent.html .

Victoria

Do you have recommendations from this web site. Thanks
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

Almond butter (made from just almonds and salt) mixed with Penzey's high fat natural cocoa powder is totally unsweetened and totally delicious. I don't miss sweetener at all. The fat in the almond butter tempers the bitterness of the chocolate. Very luxurious experience! (I sometimes mix in a bit of ground flaxseed to give it some protein and omega-3 fats as well as a bit of crunchiness.)

Can also use peanut butter instead of almond butter. Both are delicious in their own different ways. Trader Joe's mixed nut butter (6 different nuts blended together) also works with the Penzey's cocoa powder mixed in. I expect that pretty much any nut butter could be used.
OnTrack

Post by OnTrack »

I bought some Lily’s Extra Dark Chocolate 70% Cocoa, Stevia Sweetened, no sugar added at Walmart, but I haven’t tried it yet, so I can’t render an opinion on it yet.
lawman3966

Post by lawman3966 »

I buy Nib Mor dark chocolate snack pieces with blueberries. Each square is about 40 calories. Available online.
RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL »

OnTrack wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:41 pm
I bought some Lily’s Extra Dark Chocolate 70% Cocoa, Stevia Sweetened, no sugar added at Walmart, but I haven’t tried it yet, so I can’t render an opinion on it yet.
I use the Lily's 55% dark cocoa chips for snacking. Stevia is very important to me.
JS-Elcano

Post by JS-Elcano »

My absolute favorite is ALTER ECO Organic 85% Blackout Dark Chocolate Bar. Swiss made.

If I have it in the house I eat 2 pieces after dinner, but I am currently taking a break 8-)
Marylander1

Post by Marylander1 »

Our consumption of processed chocolate bars has dropped considerably since we found how tasty and wholesome the beans are.
https://goodking.co/collections/shop/pr ... t-salty-80
jdb

Post by jdb »

FactualFran wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:48 pm
I am also a fan of Trader Joe’s 85% Uganda bar. I have two squares each day with afternoon coffee. Good luck.
Last edited by jdb on Wed Aug 24, 2022 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Freefun

Post by Freefun »

Hu Kitchen dark chocolate.
They recently introduced milk chocolate bars- I'm NOT referring to them (I'm vegan).

You can find single bars at almost any Whole Foods or Sprouts.

https://hukitchen.com/products/hu-hu-ch ... 7897368649
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

bstevlin wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:13 pm

Victoria
I usually buy Callebaut Unsweetened Chocolate Liquor Discs 2.5Kg/5.5lbs, https://www.chocosphere.com/default/per ... discs.html . I either get 2 x 2.5Kg bags or 1 x 2.5Kg and 1 x 1Kg bag, https://www.chocosphere.com/default/per ... discs.html to optimize the shipping cost. The disks are small and I have a few of them almost every day. This chocolate has no sugar and does not cause cravings and overeating. An order lasts me over a year.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
bstevlin

Post by bstevlin »

VictoriaF wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:09 pm
bstevlin wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:13 pm

Victoria
I usually buy Callebaut Unsweetened Chocolate Liquor Discs 2.5Kg/5.5lbs, https://www.chocosphere.com/default/per ... discs.html . I either get 2 x 2.5Kg bags or 1 x 2.5Kg and 1 x 1Kg bag, https://www.chocosphere.com/default/per ... discs.html to optimize the shipping cost. The disks are small and I have a few of them almost every day. This chocolate has no sugar and does not cause cravings and overeating. An order lasts me over a year.

Victoria.
[ quote fixed by admin LadyGeek]

Victoria! Thanks, my wife and I will try the 1 kilo bag.
Ependytis

Post by Ependytis »

I eat one square of the $1.99 Trader Joe’s Organic 72% Cacao dark chocolate. I usually have it with a handful of macadamia nuts. For me, calories are no concern given my diet.

https://images.ibspot.com/2ce91ifkc893f ... format=jpg

I was able to kick a sugar habit by having the dark chocolate with macadamia nuts daily. So for me, the trade-off was worth it.

As an interesting sidenote, a friend and I did a taste comparison between famous chocolates from all over the world. The cheap bar above turned out to be the best. I guess I shouldn’t be surprised since for me it was the same for coffee and for wine.
Last edited by Ependytis on Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Is there such a thing as 100% caffeine free chocolate?

j🌺
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
angelescrest

Post by angelescrest »

House Blend wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:37 pm My default after dinner dessert is one square of Trader Joe's 70% dark chocolate. (These are the "pound plus" bars; one square = 12.5 grams.)

Supplemented with 2-3 strawberries, when they are in season.

Trader Joe's pound plus bars are a bargain in my locale: $5 for 500 grams.
I discovered these this summer. I don’t think, quite literally, I’ve had such a smile on my face discovering, buying, and holding anything in my arms in the last few years. But now I don’t know if it’s been a good thing, health wise, as I have probably tripled my daily chocolate intake due to how massive the pieces are. I wish it were thinner, but still 500g. I’m eating about 3 pieces a day, so maybe close to 40 grams.
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

Jack Harkness wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:58 am
DiamondplateDave wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:20 pm I buy the 85% Moser Roth bars from Aldi. $1.99 for 4.4 oz. Has five individually wrapped squares, 160 cal. ea. The other varieties are also good.
Like others here, I find it's better to set out a portion, and remove myself from 'the mother lode'.
I'll second the Moser Roth bars from Aldi! I typically stick to the 70% bars though.
I prefer the 85%. But I wouldn't turn down a 70%, or really most dark chocolates.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
theac

Post by theac »

chipperd wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:08 am Cacao powder mixed with boiling water, cream and honey. Mmmmmm.
I've been doing that too for a couple of years now as a coffee substitute with breakfast (except I use ground raw cacao nibs, and raw sugar instead of the honey).

I actually prefer the chocolatey flavor to coffee (which I've never really cared for).

After a few posts I've read in this thread, will try mixing ground nibs with honey and cinnamon as a substitute dark chocolate fix! May even try roasting them first.
"We keep you alive to serve this ship. Row well...and live." Ben Hur...and The Taxman! hahaha (a George Harrison song)
hoops777

Post by hoops777 »

Have recently bought Alter Eco Total Blackout, 100%. No sugar.
Excellent and the best I have found to date.
I eat it with some dates and it becomes very healthy and good tasting to me.
Last edited by hoops777 on Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
K.I.S.S........so easy to say so difficult to do.
goaties

Post by goaties »

deleted
Last edited by goaties on Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
riverant

Post by riverant »

It’s a local store in the northeast, but I’ve found 70% dark chocolate from Market Basket to be excellent and to me, preferable to Lindt, dove, etc. I’ve been trying to cut back so have been having just one square per day, after dinner. About 30 calories.
Florida Orange

Post by Florida Orange »

Chocolate that has been formed into bars has always been processed at high temperatures which destroys the catechins, anthocyanins and other beneficial polyphenols. For maximum health benefits, get raw, unprocessed cacao (not cocoa) nibs that have not been roasted at temperatures above 110 degrees centigrade.
hoops777

Post by hoops777 »

Florida Orange wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:38 pm Chocolate that has been formed into bars has always been processed at high temperatures which destroys the catechins, anthocyanins and other beneficial polyphenols. For maximum health benefits, get raw, unprocessed cacao (not cocoa) nibs that have not been roasted at temperatures above 110 degrees centigrade.
So you are saying Eco Alter 100 % dark total blackout made with 100 pct organic cacao beans has no nutritional value?
K.I.S.S........so easy to say so difficult to do.
Florida Orange

Post by Florida Orange »

hoops777 wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:41 pm
Florida Orange wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:38 pm Chocolate that has been formed into bars has always been processed at high temperatures which destroys the catechins, anthocyanins and other beneficial polyphenols. For maximum health benefits, get raw, unprocessed cacao (not cocoa) nibs that have not been roasted at temperatures above 110 degrees centigrade.
So you are saying Eco Alter 100 % dark total blackout made with 100 pct organic cacao beans has no nutritional value?
I'm not saying it has no nutritional value, but the ingredients are not the only thing that matters. Roasting or processing at high temperatures significantly degrades the antioxidant activity of chocolate. It probably is good for you in other ways, but a lot of people eat dark chocolate these days specifically for the antioxidant effect, and if that's what you care about, the way the chocolate is processed matters.
homebuyer6426

Post by homebuyer6426 »

If you find yourself in Greece, try out the blue-wrapper Pavlidou dark chocolate, in the lemon or orange flavor:

The citrus or berry chocolate combination can be amazing when done well.
45% Total Stock Market | 52% Consumer Staples | 3% Short Term Reserves