Does this car exist? Sexy convertible with a backseat - NOV 2023 UPDATE

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
btenny

Re: Does this car exist? Sexy convertible with a backseat

Post by btenny »

And for all you old guys the Olds 442 Convertible for model years 1970-72 was a great car. Probably one the best convertibles ever made. But is was not very reliable. Only fast and fun. It had a real back seat and a giant trunk. I owned one for years. Mine was the 455 V8 with the Hurst shifter.

https://www.google.com/search?q=olds+44 ... dPM:&vet=1
Thesaints

Post by Thesaints »

ohai wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:09 am 8 Series is basically the 6 Series replacement. They made the number higher so they can charge more...
and they both are way too big for that kind of car. Compare to the Z3/Z4/Z8 size, which are authentic, full-blooded, roadsters.
ohai

Post by ohai »

Thesaints wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:22 pm
ohai wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:09 am 8 Series is basically the 6 Series replacement. They made the number higher so they can charge more...
and they both are way too big for that kind of car. Compare to the Z3/Z4/Z8 size, which are authentic, full-blooded, roadsters.
They are too big for what kind of car? BMW 6 Series is not intended to be the same at all as a Z3 or something; it's a big, powerful, luxury GT. Whether some car fulfills its mission in 2019 shouldn't depend on its comparison with some random, different genre cars from decades ago.

Some people want to drive compact roadsters. That's fine. Others want big luxurious coupes.
Thesaints

Post by Thesaints »

They are too big for the OP, who wants to drive a roadster with manual transmission.
Topic Author
SRenaeP

Post by SRenaeP »

OP here - three years later and I never actually made a decision. Particularly due to the pandemic and partially because I'm an overthinker. LOL. Prior to the pandemic, I had decided that getting a convertible wasn't feasible and had narrowed my list to the Lexus RC and the Infiniti Q50. I delayed the purchase because why buy a new car when I wasn't going anywhere.

Then partway through the pandemic, I decided to just fix all the niggling issues on my car and keep it 'forever'. But my family and colleagues forced me to face reality, which is I will always be chasing issues on a car of that age. So I decided to keep the Z4 as a weekend car and start my search anew.

My short list was Acura Integra, Acura TLX, BMW 4 Series Gran Coupe and Ford Bronco (wild card). I looked at all four vehicles this weekend. After seeing the Bronco, I don't think it's really for me. Plus the price of a well-appointed Bronco is ridiculous. The TLX was just meh so that leaves the Integra and 4 Series.

The Integra initially appealed to me because it has a 6 speed manual. I liked it but I don't love it. I'm sure it's a nice enough car but I just can't muster up any enthusiasm for it. You have to get both available packages in order to get the 6 speed. Add in an option or two plus tax and it's over $40k out the door. That's a bit much for a car I don't love.

So the 4 Series. I like it but the idea of not having a manual transmission makes me a little sad. Every car I've owned has been manual, it's kind of my thing, and this might be the last manual car I get to buy (unless I pay $$$ for a Porsche or something) since many cars are going automatic and electric. That said, the *M4* is available in manual. Two doors, not four, but maybe I don't care so much about transporting the niblings (there are two now) anymore. :P So, is the M4 my final answer? Perhaps so.
Paladin23

Post by Paladin23 »

Good luck. Hard to go wrong with the M4, though I will say my wife loves her 2021 M240i convertible with a stick. Back seat is small, but can work in a pinch. The 2021 is available with convertible and stick, 2022 is not, but there are a few lightly used ones around (she bought hers in July, a 2021 with 2400 miles on it, so essentially like new with warranty, so they can be found).
DS03

Post by DS03 »

Paladin23 wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:31 am Good luck. Hard to go wrong with the M4, though I will say my wife loves her 2021 M240i convertible with a stick. Back seat is small, but can work in a pinch. The 2021 is available with convertible and stick, 2022 is not, but there are a few lightly used ones around (she bought hers in July, a 2021 with 2400 miles on it, so essentially like new with warranty, so they can be found).
Lots of great reviews on the 2 series cars, and better projected reliability than the M4s.
psteinx

Post by psteinx »

SRenaeP wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:24 am The Integra initially appealed to me because it has a 6 speed manual. I liked it but I don't love it. I'm sure it's a nice enough car but I just can't muster up any enthusiasm for it. You have to get both available packages in order to get the 6 speed. Add in an option or two plus tax and it's over $40k out the door. That's a bit much for a car I don't love.
I feel you on the Integra. I tried one, too, a few weeks ago. Oldest D has a Civic (similar) that I really like, so I thought, up the sportiness a hair, maybe slightly plusher features (Acura v. Honda), and add in a manual, and I'd dig it. But I didn't.

I like manuals, but haven't driven one in close to two decades. Possibly my memory of them is too nostalgic, but I sorta think I just didn't love THIS manual. Notably, the clutch pedal seemed to sit a little high, and in general, the car didn't have a lot of "oomph". Maybe 20-30 more HP woulda been nice.

As for convertibles - I'm a convertible fan, though tiring a little bit of them now - I'm on my 3rd and have had one ~80% of the time for the last 2+ decades, but maybe the novelty's wearing a little thin. If you *DO* still want a convertible, maybe resign yourself to the "cruiser" class - 4 seats, a bit bigger, not as sporty (and likely no manual), but more comfortable, and you still get the top down feel. Pickings are slim, but because convertibles are often lightly driven/used, a few-year-old convertible may satisfy you. I have a Buick Cascada - a lightly used 2017 bought in 2020. It's nice. But it's no Porsche.
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

You just missed out on a great four-seater in red...

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1987-saab-900-19/
BH Consumer FAQ: | Car? Used Toyota, Lexus or Miata. | House? 20% down and 3x salary. | Vacation house? No. | Umbrella? $1 million. | Goods? Costco.
JayhawkGolfer

Post by JayhawkGolfer »

I’m going 2 door manual Bronco. I’m adding a lot of the exterior options over time. Wheels and tires, light bar, winch are upgrades I will do over the next 5 years. Not sure how much longer a manual will be offered by most manufacturers.
psteinx

Post by psteinx »

snackdog wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:09 pm You just missed out on a great four-seater in red...

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1987-saab-900-19/
I love it. But not the price :(.

My 2nd convertible was a red '04 Saab.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

SRenaeP wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:24 am So the 4 Series. I like it but the idea of not having a manual transmission makes me a little sad. Every car I've owned has been manual, it's kind of my thing, and this might be the last manual car I get to buy (unless I pay $$$ for a Porsche or something) since many cars are going automatic and electric. That said, the *M4* is available in manual. Two doors, not four, but maybe I don't care so much about transporting the niblings (there are two now) anymore. :P So, is the M4 my final answer? Perhaps so.
The M3 is also available in manual, so if you want 4 doors and a manual, there you go. The M3 sedan and M4 coupe are both available 3 ways:

Base (RWD, Manual only)
Competition (RWD, Auto only)
Competition xDrive (AWD, Auto only)

The M4 convertible is only available in Competition xDrive form, so no clutch pedal with the droptop. But it sounds like that's no longer a concern, so choose your number of doors and go!
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

I'm going to give you cars to think about.

Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing It's like a 4 door Camaro. It DOES come with a proper manual transmission.

There's also the CT5-V Blackwing which is called a 4 door Corvette with a supercharged V8 and nearly 700 HP.

Jeep Wrangler. It DOES come with a proper manual transmission.

Chevrolet Camaro. Not only does It come with a proper manual transmission. But it comes as a convertible.

Ford Mustang. Not only does It come with a proper manual transmission.

Lotus Evora. It is not a convertible but you can get a 2+2. My son who was about 12 at the time sat in the back when I test drove one. Manual, of course.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
simplextableau

Post by simplextableau »

I can't believe no one has stated the obvious answer: The 1989 Ferrari Mondial T Cabriolet. Sexy? Backseat? Check. (As fans of "Vegas Vacation" will attest).

https://pics.imcdb.org/0is139/snapshot2 ... 4.4185.jpg
UNCHEEL

Post by UNCHEEL »

7eight9 wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:53 pm Jaguar XK? Very pretty car in my opinion.
+2 Great GT car with performance. No longer available new, but decent prices on used. (I drive the newer F-Type and love it, but no back seat.)

The 911 suggestion was also good. Better sports car, but not really sexy. Note: Opt for a 997 vs 996 for the engine/mechanical reasons.
Last edited by UNCHEEL on Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sc9182

Post by sc9182 »

Please add V8 and/or Twin-Turbo to this requirement.

Also, throw-in high-end Recaro front seats.
Last edited by sc9182 on Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phxjcc

Post by phxjcc »

SRenaeP wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:24 am OP here - three years later and I never actually made a decision. Particularly due to the pandemic and partially because I'm an overthinker. LOL. Prior to the pandemic, I had decided that getting a convertible wasn't feasible and had narrowed my list to the Lexus RC and the Infiniti Q50. I delayed the purchase because why buy a new car when I wasn't going anywhere.

Then partway through the pandemic, I decided to just fix all the niggling issues on my car and keep it 'forever'. But my family and colleagues forced me to face reality, which is I will always be chasing issues on a car of that age. So I decided to keep the Z4 as a weekend car and start my search anew.

My short list was Acura Integra, Acura TLX, BMW 4 Series Gran Coupe and Ford Bronco (wild card). I looked at all four vehicles this weekend. After seeing the Bronco, I don't think it's really for me. Plus the price of a well-appointed Bronco is ridiculous. The TLX was just meh so that leaves the Integra and 4 Series.

The Integra initially appealed to me because it has a 6 speed manual. I liked it but I don't love it. I'm sure it's a nice enough car but I just can't muster up any enthusiasm for it. You have to get both available packages in order to get the 6 speed. Add in an option or two plus tax and it's over $40k out the door. That's a bit much for a car I don't love.

So the 4 Series. I like it but the idea of not having a manual transmission makes me a little sad. Every car I've owned has been manual, it's kind of my thing, and this might be the last manual car I get to buy (unless I pay $$$ for a Porsche or something) since many cars are going automatic and electric. That said, the *M4* is available in manual. Two doors, not four, but maybe I don't care so much about transporting the niblings (there are two now) anymore. :P So, is the M4 my final answer? Perhaps so.
Look at a Lexus IS 350C

last made in 2014 (some sold as 2015).
Stick with 2012 and later.
Was developed as a 3- series competitor….and then the economy collapsed.

They also made a 250C, but engine and brakes and suspension are different.

If you can find a 2014-5 350C with the F sport package (up graded brakes, suspension and steering) you will get 9/10’s of a BMW with 0/10’s of a BMW maintenance.

Auto-ONLY

They have a cult following, and are about $32,000 for a decent one with low mileage.
Orig MSRP was about 54,000, fully loaded.

Adaptive cruise was optional, but very rare…I have seen three in two years of looking.
Mother Biggles

Post by Mother Biggles »

phxjcc wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:28 pm
SRenaeP wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:24 am OP here - three years later and I never actually made a decision. Particularly due to the pandemic and partially because I'm an overthinker. LOL. Prior to the pandemic, I had decided that getting a convertible wasn't feasible and had narrowed my list to the Lexus RC and the Infiniti Q50. I delayed the purchase because why buy a new car when I wasn't going anywhere.

Look at a Lexus IS 350C

last made in 2014 (some sold as 2015).
Stick with 2012 and later.
Was developed as a 3- series competitor….and then the economy collapsed.

They also made a 250C, but engine and brakes and suspension are different.

If you can find a 2014-5 350C with the F sport package (up graded brakes, suspension and steering) you will get 9/10’s of a BMW with 0/10’s of a BMW maintenance.

Auto-ONLY

They have a cult following, and are about $32,000 for a decent one with low mileage.
Orig MSRP was about 54,000, fully loaded.

Adaptive cruise was optional, but very rare…I have seen three in two years of looking.
I have a Lexus 350 IS-C. It’s great. I love having the convertible. Reliable. One of the most boring cars I have ever driven though. I came from a BMW three series that was in the shop all the time. That BMW drove fun but was always in the shop and is the reason I will never again by German. If you were buying not leasing I would be concerned about buying German because of reliability issues. I did not go through all the previous posts having not been here for a while. Jaguar convertible has small seats but functional for small children and groceries. Maserati Gran Turismo. I think the Ferrari California is also a four seater but I don’t remember. I could be wrong. The newer Lexus convertible looks nice but is definitely not a sports car. Should be reliable though. And of course the convertible Tesla is a 2+2.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

sc9182 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:33 am Please add V8 and/or Twin-Turbo to this requirement.

Also, throw-in high-end Recaro front seats.
You'll have to install your own Recaros, but does a supercharged V8 work?

The first and only time Dodge has ever offered a Challenger convertible from the factory. Available from this past Tuesday through December of 2023. Build your preferred spec as a coupe, then add $26k.
Wannaretireearly

Post by Wannaretireearly »

Dammit I want a convertible again! Had a Toyota solara that I really liked.
“At some point you are trading time you will never get back for money you will never spend.“ | “How do you want to spend the best remaining year of your life?“
Topic Author
SRenaeP

Re: Does this car exist? Sexy convertible with a backseat - NOV 2023 UPDATE

Post by SRenaeP »

Posting an update only because I like to know what posters have decided. As you can see, it took me almost four years to ever buy another car. LOL. I put off the purchase due to the pandemic (couldn't justify a newer car when I was WFH but not really driving anywhere). I ended up getting a 2019 BMW M4 in June of this year (2023). My must haves were manual transmission, moonroof, heated seats and not white in color (exterior or interior). The body style/grille changed in either 2021 or 2022 and I wanted the older style as well which that made it surprisingly hard to find a car I wanted. I'm very happy with my purchase, no regrets at all, and smile every time I get in the car. It is not a convertible so the concession to that was that I kept the Z4. It will be a beautiful day (for the top down) driver only.
Striker

Post by Striker »

How about a VW Beetle convertible ? Not expensive and not too hard to find. I think you can get a slightly older one
In a manual. My wife has enjoyed her red 2018 and it has been fairly reliable.
Thesaints

Post by Thesaints »

SRenaeP wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:18 am Posting an update only because I like to know what posters have decided. As you can see, it took me almost four years to ever buy another car. LOL. I put off the purchase due to the pandemic (couldn't justify a newer car when I was WFH but not really driving anywhere). I ended up getting a 2019 BMW M4 in June of this year (2023). My must haves were manual transmission, moonroof, heated seats and not white in color (exterior or interior). The body style/grille changed in either 2021 or 2022 and I wanted the older style as well which that made it surprisingly hard to find a car I wanted. I'm very happy with my purchase, no regrets at all, and smile every time I get in the car. It is not a convertible so the concession to that was that I kept the Z4. It will be a beautiful day (for the top down) driver only.
I feel your pain :)
Recently had to retire my 3-series manual and spent one month looking for another manual, but no dice.
Eventually had to settle for a 435 gran coupe; traded manual transmission for 4wd. I have to admit that it handles great in high speed turns and acceleration in sport mode is pretty good, but my Z3 is another thing.
MH2

Post by MH2 »

Thesaints wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:52 pm
SRenaeP wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:18 am Posting an update only because I like to know what posters have decided. As you can see, it took me almost four years to ever buy another car. LOL. I put off the purchase due to the pandemic (couldn't justify a newer car when I was WFH but not really driving anywhere). I ended up getting a 2019 BMW M4 in June of this year (2023). My must haves were manual transmission, moonroof, heated seats and not white in color (exterior or interior). The body style/grille changed in either 2021 or 2022 and I wanted the older style as well which that made it surprisingly hard to find a car I wanted. I'm very happy with my purchase, no regrets at all, and smile every time I get in the car. It is not a convertible so the concession to that was that I kept the Z4. It will be a beautiful day (for the top down) driver only.
I feel your pain :)
Recently had to retire my 3-series manual and spent one month looking for another manual, but no dice.
Eventually had to settle for a 435 gran coupe; traded manual transmission for 4wd. I have to admit that it handles great in high speed turns and acceleration in sport mode is pretty good, but my Z3 is another thing.
The F32 is a thing of beauty. Almost bought the diesel variant myself.

There were a lot of complaints about the F30 generation suspension setup. Look into changing the springs and getting a TCU tune.

Otherwise enjoy :beer
marcopolo

Post by marcopolo »

Different strokes for different folks.
I would have compromised one something else to stay with a convertible. A moonroof is not really much of a substitute.
Hopefully, your Z4 will last a long time if only driven occasionally.
Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
creme_gold

Post by creme_gold »

This update is clearly not a boglehead solution. Keeping 2 cars seems like a non frugal solution. I once did a similar, but slightly more frugal solution when I kept an Avalon when I bought my Camaro convertible. DW thought it was a good solution for winter transportation. I think prior comments were unfair to the Camaro. Now that it is being discontinued I think the values will only increase, especially the convertible. Yes there is no trunk room with the top down but you can fit enough luggage for weekend and 2 golden retrievers. The journey is priceless.
edge

Post by edge »

LC500

Backseats are not super useful though.

BMw 4 series is an option that may cost a little less.

Oh. Just noticed that is what you bought.
LookinAround

Post by LookinAround »

Congratulations on your purchase. I found pics and looks like a sweet car.

As an aside, I 100% agree with you on disliking the look of the larger 4-series grill. I recall they changed it in 2021 as that's the year I was looking to replace my old 4-series with a new one but hated the look of the larger grill so chose a different car. I haven't checked sales numbers but considering they've been out a couple years now, seems I don't see many of the 2021+ 4-series w/the new grills on the road.
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

Here is a sexy 2-door convertible with a back seat and a front seat. 3+3. 428 cubic inches.

1966 Eldorado Convertible.

BH Consumer FAQ: | Car? Used Toyota, Lexus or Miata. | House? 20% down and 3x salary. | Vacation house? No. | Umbrella? $1 million. | Goods? Costco.
toomanysidehustles

Post by toomanysidehustles »

Nice. I've been looking at something like this when grandkids present themselves. https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/t-Used-BM ... NE/DEFAULT (but in better condition) - I have a 2001 Z3 3.0L which I will never sell. Tremendously fun car!
Topic Author
SRenaeP

Post by SRenaeP »

creme_gold wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:56 pm This update is clearly not a boglehead solution. Keeping 2 cars seems like a non frugal solution. I once did a similar, but slightly more frugal solution when I kept an Avalon when I bought my Camaro convertible. DW thought it was a good solution for winter transportation. I think prior comments were unfair to the Camaro. Now that it is being discontinued I think the values will only increase, especially the convertible. Yes there is no trunk room with the top down but you can fit enough luggage for weekend and 2 golden retrievers. The journey is priceless.
While I wasn't specifically looking for a Boglehead solution, I don't think it's *not*. This was obviously a planned purchase that was within my means. As far as keeping two cars, the insurance cost for the old car is negligible and I was able to remove rental car coverage (when the covered car is damaged/under repair) for all vehicles since there is now an extra car at the house.
Topic Author
SRenaeP

Post by SRenaeP »

toomanysidehustles wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:37 am
Nice. I've been looking at something like this when grandkids present themselves. https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/t-Used-BM ... NE/DEFAULT (but in better condition) - I have a 2001 Z3 3.0L which I will never sell. Tremendously fun car!
Nice! I was pleasantly surprised the the M4 has a usable backseat. My 6'3" sibling can comfortably fit. While I don't know if it would be comfortable on a road trip, you can certainly seat four for in-town trips. My only complaint is an apparently common issue that if you're not careful when moving the front seats to allow back seat access, you can break the mirror embedded in the sun visor. The angle of the seat when leaned forward places the headrest at the same height as the visor. I learned this the hard way. :(
MH2

Post by MH2 »

SRenaeP wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:12 am
toomanysidehustles wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:37 am
Nice! I was pleasantly surprised the the M4 has a usable backseat. My 6'3" sibling can comfortably fit. While I don't know if it would be comfortable on a road trip, you can certainly seat four for in-town trips. My only complaint is an apparently common issue that if you're not careful when moving the front seats to allow back seat access, you can break the mirror embedded in the sun visor. The angle of the seat when leaned forward places the headrest at the same height as the visor. I learned this the hard way. :(
The M4 is built on the same platform as the 3 series. In most markets, the 3 series is marketed and sold as a comfortable/sporty station wagon. Seating room and luggage capacity are selling points.

See: https://www.carsized.com/en/cars/compar ... -coupe-m4/
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

creme_gold wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:56 pm This update is clearly not a boglehead solution. Keeping 2 cars seems like a non frugal solution. I once did a similar, but slightly more frugal solution when I kept an Avalon when I bought my Camaro convertible. DW thought it was a good solution for winter transportation. I think prior comments were unfair to the Camaro. Now that it is being discontinued I think the values will only increase, especially the convertible. Yes there is no trunk room with the top down but you can fit enough luggage for weekend and 2 golden retrievers. The journey is priceless.
As Joel’s dad said at the end of Risky Business, sometimes you’ve just got to say what the heck. :D

My younger son decided it was finally time to buy his post-college grad dream car, so I bought his 1999 Miata. I am renting a garage spot nearby and switch between my 2014 Camaro coupe and the Miata depending on weather and what I’ve got going on. (We also have a Honda Odyssey for utility and true bad weather).

Sometimes you need two cars to check all the boxes.