Washington, D.C. visit

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
50ismygoal

Washington, D.C. visit

Post by 50ismygoal »

I’ll be flying into Reagan for a short visit to DC at the end of September and I’m hoping this group can offer advice. I’m visiting my niece, taking her to dinner on a Monday and Tuesday night, but the rest of the time I’ll be playing tourist.

I’m flying in to Reagan on a Monday midday, taking the Metro to a hotel near the White House. I’ll be leaving the same way midday Wednesday.

I’d like to take my niece to nice restaurants (Mon and Tue) for dinner, but must be casual enough for jeans and t-shirts. I’d also like some good breakfast ideas, even though the hotel offers their own little buffet.

I’ll have all day Tuesday and Wednesday until Noon on my own. I’d like to see Smithsonian museums and visit the monuments, but you may have other suggestions.

Oh, by the way, everything needs to be a mile or two from the mall, as I’ll be walking or Ubering and I don’t want to venture too far.
KlangFool

Re: Washington, D.C. visit

Post by KlangFool »

OP,

1) You can take the metro instead of Uber.

2) There are too many great restaurants within walking distance. For example, the Chinatown.

3) Check out the 100+ years old coffee roaster near the White House.

https://swingscoffee.com/
640 14th St. NW
Washington, D.C. 20005

Check out the following coffee
https://swingscoffee.com/product/high-mountain-blend/

https://swingscoffee.com/product/mesco-blend-2/

KlangFool
30% VWENX | 16% VFWAX/VTIAX | 14.5% VTSAX | 19.5% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 30% Wellington 50% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
Flyer24

Post by Flyer24 »

Topic moved to Personal Consumer Issues.
RJC

Post by RJC »

This list is a good start for restaurants:

https://www.washingtonian.com/best/restaurants/
Cigarman

Post by Cigarman »

Bobby Van’s for steak! Great food, come as you are.
Zeno

Post by Zeno »

Good luck, OP
Last edited by Zeno on Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Cochese

Post by Cochese »

Metro is serviceable, but can be a mess due to a large number of trains out of service for safety issues. Within downtown, Uber and Lyft are very affordable alternatives unless there is a surge in pricing.

The Clyde’s group restaurants near the White House, Old Ebbitt’s and The Hamilton have great food and are casual. If you want to go a little after afield I recommend something like Lao in Town, Indigo, etc. Union Market and La Cosecha are also casual and have great food. You could wear jeans and something slightly nicer and be fine at something like San Lorenzo, which is an outstanding restaurant on 9th St.

Too many galleries to mention. National Gallery is a must. I recommend the Sackler / Freer which has an outstanding collection of East Asian, Persian, and other art but also has an eclectic collection of works by Whistler, etc due to the collections of the benefactors. If you want to journey out toward the city limits the National Arboretum is great fun when the weather is nice, especially the collection of bonsai trees.
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

I'm a fan of Lincoln's Waffle Shop for breakfast. A short walk from the area you are staying. https://www.lincolnswaffleshop.com/breakfast-menu.html
niagara_guy

Post by niagara_guy »

About 5 years ago we used the circulator bus to get around. Just a dollar or two, you can get on and off as much as needed:

https://www.dccirculator.com/explore/wh ... onal-mall/

I think the memorials serviced by the circulator are all worth doing. I am a big fan of the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum and the other Smithsonian Museums. We also went to the Fort Theater and the Peterson House (where President Lincoln died), worth doing. The Voice of America tour was also interesting.
snoopdoug1

Post by snoopdoug1 »

Depending on your interest in WW2 - the Holocaust museum is very well done but obviously very somber. The Smithsonian's are great, and also make sure to see the Lincoln / Jefferson / Washington memorials and the capitol building. The Vietnam / WW2 memorial in the mall are good as well. I'd spend a morning or evening just walking around the mall and hitting all of these.
Topic Author
50ismygoal

Post by 50ismygoal »

Great input, as always. Thanks all!
samsoes

Post by samsoes »

Be sure to visit Ford's Theater (where President Lincoln was shot), and the Peterson House across the street where he died. Also, there's a Chinese Restaurant called Wok and Roll, that's the site of Mary Surratt's boarding house where Booth and his fellow conspirators planned Lincoln's demise. (Mary Surratt was hanged for her role in the conspiracy. She was the first woman executed by the federal government.)
Last edited by samsoes on Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)
Harry Livermore

Post by Harry Livermore »

All the museums are standouts, so maybe pick three. No need to leave the mall area unless you had something in mind, and perhaps were there for more than a day or two.
My own special tip: skip the Bureau Of Engraving And Printing tour. I have enjoyed visiting the Philadelphia Mint, and am a coin and paper money nerd, so figured I'd enjoy the BEP tour when we were in DC in 2019 with the kids. Nope. Long wait, long video/ speech regarding how we should behave while inside, crummy dark hallway overlooking printing presses where not much was happening, overpriced lousy gift shop. The wait was far longer than the "tour"...
Cheers
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

The National Museum of Health and Medicine is often overlooked as is the National Portrait Gallery. If its a beautiful day a stroll on "Embassy Row" can be interesting. It is also fun to go into one. Sometimes this can be done by appointment if one has an interest in visiting the embassy of the nation their ancestors came from. https://freetoursbyfoot.com/embassy-row/

For a different view of DC, there are boat tours along the Potomac.
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
familythriftmd

Post by familythriftmd »

The Metro is really good. If you're flying into Reagan, just do that. Get a multi-day pass. Don't forget that you need to use it to exit the network as well as enter it.
My favorite museums are the Smithsonian African American, the Smithsonian Natural, and the Museum of the Bible. You'll need to reserve an entrance time with your smartphone to enter the Afro Am Museum.

Carmine's is a nice Italian restaurant.
Firefly is a nice farm-to-table type restaurant by DuPont Circle, although it was a bit pricy. I really liked their corn beef hash.
familythriftmd

Post by familythriftmd »

By the way, what a great relative you are to take your niece. How nice!
Do not underestimate how walking could tire you out. All the things on the mall are further apart than it may seem; it's like an optical allusion.
fdp

Post by fdp »

I'm a long time BH reader but have never contributed. However, given I've lived in the DC area off/on for many years I couldn't help but join the fray.

Folks often overlook the Library of Congress. The original building is beautiful and well worth a visit.

You can't go wrong with any of DC's museums. Just plan ahead as some of the more popular museums (i.e., the African American History Museum, Holocaust Museum, etc) require a timed entry tickets which are free. You can obtain the tickers via the museum's website. Some folks really enjoy the Spy Museum, but it is not free so some tourists avoid it.

Since you are a BH fan, you might enjoy visiting the Bureau of Engraving and Printing. There you can see how the "greenback" is made. https://www.bep.gov/

If you enjoy walking there are over a dozen DC Neighborhood Heritage Trails. The trails are dotted with historic markers describing people and events that help highlight many of DC's diverse neighborhoods. Most tourists never take advantage of these walks. https://www.culturaltourismdc.org/porta ... age-trails.

If you want a taste of old DC or colonial-era Virginia, many tourists enjoy strolling through Georgetown and Old Town Alexandria. Old Town is further afield but accessible via metro (Blue line). Georgetown does not have a metro stop, but the Foggy Bottom or Rosslyn metro stops are not too far away (Blue/Orange line). Even further afield is George Washington's home Mount Vernon. To get there will require taking a bus or ride share.

The Kennedy Center Millennium Stage has free concerts (or other events) almost every evening. You can check out the schedule at: https://www.kennedy-center.org/whats-on ... ium-stage/

If you're a history or war buff, beyond the monuments on the National Mall, Arlington Cemetery and the U.S. Marine Corps Memorial (aka Iwo Jima Memorial) are popular destinations. They are across the Potomac River but accessible via metro (Blue line to the Rosslyn or Arlington Cemetery stops).

Another overlooked site is Frederick Douglass's House. https://www.nps.gov/frdo/index.htm The house reflects the fascinating and inspirational life of this great American.

Finally, if you are a fan of Chef Jose Andres's food or his humanitarian work, check out one of his many restaurants in DC. https://www.joseandres.com/restaurants/.
Topic Author
50ismygoal

Post by 50ismygoal »

More great info, thanks!
Californiastate

Post by Californiastate »

fdp wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:47 pm I'm a long time BH reader but have never contributed. However, given I've lived in the DC area off/on for many years I couldn't help but join the fray.

Folks often overlook the Library of Congress. The original building is beautiful and well worth a visit.

You can't go wrong with any of DC's museums. Just plan ahead as some of the more popular museums (i.e., the African American History Museum, Holocaust Museum, etc) require a timed entry tickets which are free. You can obtain the tickers via the museum's website. Some folks really enjoy the Spy Museum, but it is not free so some tourists avoid it.

Since you are a BH fan, you might enjoy visiting the Bureau of Engraving and Printing. There you can see how the "greenback" is made. https://www.bep.gov/

If you enjoy walking there are over a dozen DC Neighborhood Heritage Trails. The trails are dotted with historic markers describing people and events that help highlight many of DC's diverse neighborhoods. Most tourists never take advantage of these walks. https://www.culturaltourismdc.org/porta ... age-trails.

If you want a taste of old DC or colonial-era Virginia, many tourists enjoy strolling through Georgetown and Old Town Alexandria. Old Town is further afield but accessible via metro (Blue line). Georgetown does not have a metro stop, but the Foggy Bottom or Rosslyn metro stops are not too far away (Blue/Orange line). Even further afield is George Washington's home Mount Vernon. To get there will require taking a bus or ride share.

The Kennedy Center Millennium Stage has free concerts (or other events) almost every evening. You can check out the schedule at: https://www.kennedy-center.org/whats-on ... ium-stage/

If you're a history or war buff, beyond the monuments on the National Mall, Arlington Cemetery and the U.S. Marine Corps Memorial (aka Iwo Jima Memorial) are popular destinations. They are across the Potomac River but accessible via metro (Blue line to the Rosslyn or Arlington Cemetery stops).

Another overlooked site is Frederick Douglass's House. https://www.nps.gov/frdo/index.htm The house reflects the fascinating and inspirational life of this great American.

Finally, if you are a fan of Chef Jose Andres's food or his humanitarian work, check out one of his many restaurants in DC. https://www.joseandres.com/restaurants/.
We'll be visiting DC in September also. I'm taking notes.
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

50ismygoal wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:57 pm I’ll be flying into Reagan for a short visit to DC at the end of September and I’m hoping this group can offer advice. I’m visiting my niece, taking her to dinner on a Monday and Tuesday night, but the rest of the time I’ll be playing tourist.

I’m flying in to Reagan on a Monday midday, taking the Metro to a hotel near the White House. I’ll be leaving the same way midday Wednesday.

I’d like to take my niece to nice restaurants (Mon and Tue) for dinner, but must be casual enough for jeans and t-shirts. I’d also like some good breakfast ideas, even though the hotel offers their own little buffet.

I’ll have all day Tuesday and Wednesday until Noon on my own. I’d like to see Smithsonian museums and visit the monuments, but you may have other suggestions.

Oh, by the way, everything needs to be a mile or two from the mall, as I’ll be walking or Ubering and I don’t want to venture too far.
A day and a half is not very long. That’s maybe one or two Smithsonian’s (two if u cruise through them and/or if they are one of the smaller ones) plus walking to a couple of the big monuments. Everything takes longer than you think it should.

Point being really figure out what you want to do and prioritize those things
“Conventional Treasury rates are risk free only in the sense that they guarantee nominal principal. But their real rate of return is uncertain until after the fact.” -Risk Less and Prosper
Wilderness Librarian

Post by Wilderness Librarian »

Its been 6 years absence but I used to go there in October for conferences. I liked to stay at the Tabard Inn in Dupont Circle (I think they are still there). Food was expensive so never had much more than a salad & single glass of wine. Teaism (fusion Asian) - was my favorite repeat I also had my cycle of other places in the Dupont Circle area and north to Adams Morgan area. The first few years of its existence I liked lunch at the Smithsonian museum of Native Americans (forgot exact name) but they seemed to go downhill the last couple of times I was there.

You are going to have less time than you think to see stuff - like a lot of cities the museums & such often don't open until 10. National Geographic opened at 9 so I tried to go there first. But I think they changed opening to 10. Wilderness Society lobby across from NGS has original Ansel Adams B&W prints. Another vote for Sackler Freyr (I know that is misspelled). Garden area around the Smithsonian castle nice & you can walk around before other stuff opens.

Jefferson Building (main building of 3 in area) of the Library of Congress was built in late 19th c. deliberately over-elaborate to show off to European powers. That is a key reason it is big on today's tourist trail. Better when you could walk around the upper levels of the gigantic reading room but they blocked off with plexiglass to keep noise level down.
Sand101

Post by Sand101 »

I'd put Ford's Theater and the National Archives (Constitution, Declaration of Independence, Magna Carta) at the top of my list. I took my family this summer and it was a great trip.
rjbraun

Post by rjbraun »

I don't think I've seen The Phillips Collection, Dumbarton Oaks, or Planet Word mentioned yet. Each worth a visit, in my opinion, depending on OP's interests and free time.

https://www.phillipscollection.org/

https://www.doaks.org/

https://planetwordmuseum.org/
Topic Author
50ismygoal

Post by 50ismygoal »

Thanks for the additional feedback. National Archives is a must.
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

Another vote for the library of congress. It’s a bit of a “hidden” gem compared to the more popular stops
“Conventional Treasury rates are risk free only in the sense that they guarantee nominal principal. But their real rate of return is uncertain until after the fact.” -Risk Less and Prosper
eob616

Post by eob616 »

Cochese wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:02 pm Metro is serviceable, but can be a mess due to a large number of trains out of service for safety issues. Within downtown, Uber and Lyft are very affordable alternatives unless there is a surge in pricing.
Logged in specifically to emphasize that this is currently the correct answer. Unless something significant changes by the end of September, you'll potentially be facing 10- or 15-minute waits on the platforms if you're trying to take Metro once you're downtown and sightseeing. Especially if you're only here a couple of days and might only be hitting a few stops around the Mall, rideshare is probably just as easy, a more efficient use of your time, and won't be super expensive, unless you're trying to grab a ride at rush hour or if it's storming.

Metro into the city from Reagan is usually just fine, but construction may shut down individual platforms or Metro lines--check WMATA's website a couple days in advance so you can figure out the best strategy for getting to and from your hotel.

All bus stops (WMATA or Circulator) should also have instructions at the stop to check a website for the next bus.

Luckily, the weather should be nice by that time of year if walking is an option. Take an umbrella.

The Air and Space museum is closed for renovation until October.

Most Smithsonians and the National Gallery close around 5 or 5:30, but Smithsonian American Art Museum and National Portrait Gallery both open later in the morning and remain open until 7. You can shift those visits a little later if you're under time pressure.

Teaism (already mentioned at least once) would be a fine lunch option if you're in the general area of the Archives metro station (near Archives, National Gallery, Natural History, etc.).

Edit to add: if you're under time pressure (with only a day and a half), seeing memorials in the mornings before most museums open or, alternately, at night--e.g., Lincoln Memorial--may be a strategy to consider.
Topic Author
50ismygoal

Post by 50ismygoal »

Eob616, the Air and Space Museum was near the top of my priority list. Thanks for the warning about closure as I’ll be able to plan an alternative.
Walkure

Post by Walkure »

Mariscos 1133 is good if you (and niece) like seafood on the spicy side. When I was there in March, they had recently opened and there were still folks waiting for a table when we finished around 9:30pm, so a reservation is advisable.

Sadly, the DC institution Cafe Mozart closed earlier this year, but Cafe Berlin on Capital Hill is a favorite for schnitzels and such.

The hottest area currently for restaurants is the development at The Wharf, close to Smithsonian stuff in SW.
8th Street SE between Eastern Market and the Marine Barracks has some great options as well.
Theseus

Post by Theseus »

DC has become a major foodie scene over last 15 years. Estadio is my all time favorite restaurant. Spanish tapas place. With only two people you may be limited in what you can try but it is worth going. If you like India, Karma is excellent. Equinox is also good. So is Sfoglina. There is a good Ethiopian restaurant scene as well if you wanted to venture. If you want to drop major $$$$, Bar Mini, Rose's luxury. So many choices.

Add National Cathedral to your list to visit. US Capitol is amazing inside (architecturally - not sure about the people there :) ).

Take a segway tour on the first day (assuming you are new to the city). This gives you a good idea of the city and what you want to come back to. Also you can rent a bike, and bike along the river and in the city if you are inclined to do that.

There is so much to do in DC. Don't try to squeeze everything.
Theseus

Post by Theseus »

Also- after dinner - see if you can go up to the rooftop bar of The Hotel Washington (Used to be W). You can see white house, washington memorial, Jefferson etc. It's nice view. No cover charge (at least when I have been there) and you don't have to buy a drink if you just want pictures.

We celebrated the new year's eve last year and had a corner table for 8 of us. It was great.
furwut

Post by furwut »

niagara_guy wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:52 pm About 5 years ago we used the circulator bus to get around. Just a dollar or two, you can get on and off as much as needed:

And rental scooters are everywhere.
criticalmass

Post by criticalmass »

furwut wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:42 pm
niagara_guy wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:52 pm About 5 years ago we used the circulator bus to get around. Just a dollar or two, you can get on and off as much as needed:

And rental scooters are everywhere.
So are emergency rooms and surgeons, who stay busy with scooter injuries. Be careful out there!
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

If you like comedy, visit DC Improv, https://www.dcimprov.com/ near DuPont Circle. Disclosure: I take standup and improv classes there and have participated in several graduation performances.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)