External Vanguard Account [How do I change automatic reinvestment options?]

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
stargazerlily03

External Vanguard Account [How do I change automatic reinvestment options?]

Post by stargazerlily03 »

Hello. One of my DD's had to transfer her mutual fund account to Vanguard as mandated by her employer. We are having issues trying to change the automatic re-invest options i.e. she would rather receive the CG and dividend checks. We cannot specify the option in Vanguard. They don't answer their phone. Is this do-able via Vanguard or do we need to contact the other brokerage firm. If we login to her account at the other brokerage firm, the account is not found. TIA.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: External Vanguard Account [How do I change automatic reinvestment options?]

Post by LadyGeek »

stargazerlily03 - You had a duplicate post, which I've removed. There were no replies.

I also moved your thread to the Personal Investments forum and retitled the thread for clarity.

(Thanks to the member who reported the post and explained what's wrong.)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
exodusNH

Post by exodusNH »

stargazerlily03 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:50 pm Hello. One of my DD's had to transfer her mutual fund account to Vanguard as mandated by her employer. We are having issues trying to change the automatic re-invest options i.e. she would rather receive the CG and dividend checks. We cannot specify the option in Vanguard. They don't answer their phone. Is this do-able via Vanguard or do we need to contact the other brokerage firm. If we login to her account at the other brokerage firm, the account is not found. TIA.
You can have them sent to the settlement fund or a bank account. You go into the Balances and Holdings section, click on the fund I question, scroll down, there's a section labelled "holding options". You can edit it from there.

Note that of the fund just transferred over, you might not yet be able to make the change. Many of their funds pay out quarterly; she has plenty of time to make the adjustment.
chemocean

Post by chemocean »

I just executed this operation this morning, but sent the dividends and capital gains to a checking account through ACH. I upgraded and the default for new or upgraded accounts seems to be reinvest.

I first had to establish the external bank with me as a common owner on the receiving account. Then wait two days for the trial deposits to appear in the receiving account, then log back into Vanguard and verify the bank account by entering the amounts of the trail deposits.

The way I executed the change was to go to the main drop down menu and choose the dividends and capital gains distribution. Then at the top of the dividends and capital gains distribution webpage, there is a button to change distribution elections. The distribution and capital gains have separate choices.

Click on the button, and the options for receiving the dividends is shown, of which one is send me a check, others are deposit in the bank, or into the settlement account.

For me, once I chose deposit in bank, the choice of my verified banks appears in the drop down menu and I choose whichever bank I want.

If the option, "send me a check" does not appear, then DD might try establishing a bank and trying to send the funds to the bank.
Topic Author
stargazerlily03

Vanguard and External TIAA Account

[Thread merged into here --admin LadyGeek]

I had posted about this topic before and cannot find the old thread. I still cannot resolve changing the CG and Dividend options for a TIAA Mutual Fund account that is managed by Vanguard. I had to transfer it over as a job requirement (that was a nightmare and took Vanguard a long time). If I choose the change option, that TIAA fund is greyed out. I cannot check that fund to change the CG and Dividend options. Getting through to them is nearly impossible and of course, I cannot send secure emails anymore. TIA for any help you may offer.
ResearchMed

Re: Vanguard and External TIAA Account

Post by ResearchMed »

stargazerlily03 wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 2:34 pm I had posted about this topic before and cannot find the old thread. I still cannot resolve changing the CG and Dividend options for a TIAA Mutual Fund account that is managed by Vanguard. I had to transfer it over as a job requirement (that was a nightmare and took Vanguard a long time). If I choose the change option, that TIAA fund is greyed out. I cannot check that fund to change the CG and Dividend options. Getting through to them is nearly impossible and of course, I cannot send secure emails anymore. TIA for any help you may offer.

Is this the original thread you were looking for:
"External Vanguard Account [How do I change automatic reinvestment options?]"

viewtopic.php?p=6827296#p6827296

You can do a search of all of your own posts (or anyone else's) by clicking on the UserID and then on the
"search User's posts" near the name.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
crefwatch

Re: Vanguard and External TIAA Account

Post by crefwatch »

If you post again, please give the ticker symbol for the mutual fund in question.

This is a taxable account, not a tax-Qualified retirement account, right?
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged stargazerlily03's update back into the original thread.

(Thanks to the member who reported the post and provided a link to this thread.)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Topic Author
stargazerlily03

The fund account name is TIRTX. Thank you for finding the thread. I have performed the step by step instructions over and over and the box for that fund is stilly greyed out. I cannot select it. It is not a joint account.
Topic Author
stargazerlily03

It is a taxable account. I as well as she have been able to change the dividend and CG options on our other accounts easily online. Yes, to a settlement fund or bank account. I appreciate your help.
exodusNH

Post by exodusNH »

stargazerlily03 wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 2:02 pm It is a taxable account. I as well as she have been able to change the dividend and CG options on our other accounts easily online. Yes, to a settlement fund or bank account. I appreciate your help.
Are you able to buy more of it? It's possible that Vanguard is able to hold this fund but not able to let you buy more, which is why there are no options for reinvestment.
Topic Author
stargazerlily03

I don't want to buy more although we have never attempted to do so since it was transferred. Is there a reason why purchases may be disallowed? We just want to NOT reinvest the dividends and CG.