Illinois EV Rebate

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
genevajim

Illinois EV Rebate

Post by genevajim »

Has anyone applied for the Illinois $4000 EV Rebate that started with purchases on or after July 1st, 2022?

I made an EV purchase last week and one of things it asks for on the application that must be mailed in is a copy of my vehicle registration. I'm wondering if there is a way to get a copy of the registration somehow or do I need to wait for a few weeks until I get my plates and registration in the mail? Alternatively, can I just send in a copy of the temporary permit? Since this is a timely matter (rebates only while money is available), I'd really like to get my application in sooner than later.

Thanks!
michaeljc70

Re: Illinois EV Rebate

Post by michaeljc70 »

I read it as the actual registration. Since everyone has to wait for their registration I don't think it is an issue. Given the 90 day window for the rebate and EVs being in short supply, I wouldn't worry.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

I'm curious, whenever I've purchased a new vehicle in IL Ive received the plates and registration immediately. For EVs, is this not the process?
Topic Author
genevajim

Post by genevajim »

michaeljc70 wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:06 am I read it as the actual registration. Since everyone has to wait for their registration I don't think it is an issue. Given the 90 day window for the rebate and EVs being in short supply, I wouldn't worry.
Yes, 90 days from date of purchase and application must be postmarked by September 30th. It's the latter one I'm concerned about. Just not sure how long it will take to get the registration in the mail. Additionally, it's a first come first serve so the sooner you can get in the queue the better. But if they don't run out of funds then just the application date is the concern.
Topic Author
genevajim

Post by genevajim »

bob60014 wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:11 am I'm curious, whenever I've purchased a new vehicle in IL Ive received the plates and registration immediately. For EVs, is this not the process?
The dealer used the ERT (Electronic Registration and Title) system. So I'll have temporary plates until they mail me the new ones. It's been so long since I've purchased a vehicle that I don't remember if I got them at the dealer or they arrived in the mail. Maybe dealers are doing a bit of both.
cmr79

Post by cmr79 »

Topic Author
genevajim

Post by genevajim »

I found an email for the EV rebate program and emailed them first thing this morning. Was kind of thinking I wouldn't get a response or it would take a few days. Anyway, they responded just before 10am this morning that the temporary registration permit will suffice! So I'm going to send in my application ASAP.