How often do you upgrade your Smartphone?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
JS-Elcano

Re: How often do you upgrade your Smartphone?

Post by JS-Elcano »

Only when I must.

I am only on my third mobile phone ever, starting in 2012. I started out with an iPhone SE, which shattered irreparably when I dropped it (long story) and I had to replace it. Bought an 11, which I then gave to my dad, which led me to buy a 13, which I now have and have no intention of replacing.
Blue456

Post by Blue456 »

snackdog wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:20 am At the 2 year mark I am still happy the phone, camera and storage. The battery is fading a bit but tolerable if I can plug it in during the afternoon. I am thinking 3 years might be the sweet spot for upgrades.
I have been using iPhones since iPhone 3GS. Usually they do very well for first 2 years then frequently start running into problems. This is where having apple care coverage pays for itself. Keep in mind that my iPhones go through a lot of abuse so your milage might be better.
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

I kept my last phone, an iPhone 6s, for 5 years. My current phone is an iPhone 12. I felt that the performance on the 6s during the fifth year was not very good and am thinking I’ll probably keep the current phone for 4 years instead of 5.
honigvod

Post by honigvod »

1997: Pager
2000: Nokia 3310
2002: Nokia 3510
2004: Motorola RAZR
2007: Iphone
2009: Iphone 3gs
2011: Iphone 4s
2013: Iphone 5s
2015: Iphone 6s+
2018: Iphone Xs Max
2020: Iphone 12 Pro Max

Pretty consistently every 2 years, occasionally 3, along the lines of screen size increases more than anything else. Based on the leaks this year, unless there is a huge surprise, I will probably grab the 15 Pro Max Ultra Nitro Extreme next year.

As someone who has used my phone heavily, more and more as time has gone on, it is very important for me to upgrade often. Of course I don't just trash the old ones. Whenever I upgraded, my previous phone went to my dad and then to my mom on the next upgrade then becoming basically ipods.

For example, in 2020:
Me: Iphone 12 Pro Max (Iphone 5s as an Ipod)
Dad: Iphone Xs Max (Iphone 4s as a car Ipod)
Mom: Iphone 6s+

However, because I am skipping this year and the 6s+ is getting long in the tooth for support, might be getting mom the SE and dad might get a cheaper 13 for the crazy battery difference and his aging eyes. We will see.

I have known friends who trade in/sell almost every single time for the newest model. It comes out to a rolling hundred bucks or so a year to always have the latest and greatest and works well for them. I don't that often because accessory costs add up as well but it is worth it to me.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Haven't yet. Plan on keeping current iPhone until it breaks or support is discontinued. 3 1/2 years and counting so far.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
chance

Post by chance »

It depends. As long as the phone is working AND receiving security and software updates sticking with it is better than the hassle and cost of upgrading. The improvements in smart phones has slowed to the point where it isn't really that impactful. A while back when the pace of technological change was faster it made more difference and more frequent changes made sense.
Metsfan91

Post by Metsfan91 »

Every 5 years!
"Know what you own, and know why you own it." — Peter Lynch
sawhorse

Post by sawhorse »

I upgraded to my current phone last year. The previous one I had for 7 years. It had a replaceable battery, so every year I popped in a new $15 battery. The old phone was a Samsung Galaxy Note 3, and the new one is a Galaxy Note 10.
d0gerz

Post by d0gerz »

JS-Elcano wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:59 pm Only when I must.

I am only on my third mobile phone ever, starting in 2012. I started out with an iPhone SE, which shattered irreparably when I dropped it (long story) and I had to replace it. Bought an 11, which I then gave to my dad, which led me to buy a 13, which I now have and have no intention of replacing.
The first SE didn't come out until 2016.
Volando

Post by Volando »

As long as it is still functioning reasonably well (battery, performance, etc.), I keep mine until it breaks or they stop providing security support for it. I used to upgrade phones fairly regularly (every 2 years or so) because I think new tech is neat but I started to realize its not really worth it for me. At some point I became bothered by how much attention the phone demanded of me (screen time, attention from apps, notifications, etc.) so I've pulled back to just using basic apps and spending less time on my phone. That seems to help with longevity since I get minimal benefit from the latest tech... plus its more cost effective to keep the phone longer :moneybag :D . I wouldn't mind some of the nice upgrades like the camera but I can wait :)
PicassoSparks

Post by PicassoSparks »

OP, since you are on the iPhone, you can expect to keep getting OS updates for around 6 years and security updates for a little longer. The next iOS will support back to phones released in 2017. The current iOS supports phones back to 2015 and should keep getting major security updates for awhile after the next iOS comes out.

Beyond the support lifetime, it all comes down to how long until a new feature is announced that you care about. If you don’t pay close attention to tech news, that day may never come. :P
mancich

Post by mancich »

Every 4-5 years. DW, kids and I all have iPhone XR's from late 2018. Seem to all be working fine. To me, the newer features are not that important. It seems like the new bells and whistles are just incremental improvements, not giant leaps forward. For that reason, I don't see the point in upgrading before it's necessary to do so.
Seal the Deal

Post by Seal the Deal »

My first upgrade was for functionality - iPhone 3G to iPhone 4.

Next upgrades were because system/security updates stopped - Moto 3G, Moto G5+, Moto G7.

On current Moto G7 I installed LineageOS so I get Android updates and security updates (these stopped being issued from Motorola Feb. 2021, will not go back to Motorola due to short support window). The phone suits my needs and still works perfectly so I could keep it a while longer. Will probably upgrade to the latest Pixel next, a good camera upgrade would be nice.

So to answer the question OP about 3 years on average but my goal is a bit longer than that.
sixtyforty

Post by sixtyforty »

About every 4 to 5 years.
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Leonardo Da Vinci
atomicrc11

Post by atomicrc11 »

honigvod wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:07 pm 2004: Motorola RAZR
Didn't everyone have a RAZR in 2004? I still have my Verizon RAZR sitting in a box, maybe it's time to mount it to keep on my desk.
Rudedog

Post by Rudedog »

Duplicate
Last edited by Rudedog on Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rudedog

Post by Rudedog »

Still using my i-phone 6. Battery needs charged every day, but it still works well. My wife has an i-phone 7, you'd think it would be worn out as much as she uses it, bit it still is going strong.
pjhalifax

Post by pjhalifax »

Every 2-3 years. I usually buy used...the past two have been Pixels that were a model or two behind what was current. Their cameras have always been really good (to my eye) and that's what I appreciate the most in a mobile phone.

I *do* notice that I tend to get shop-happy if I watch too many MKBHD videos so I've avoided his channel (tech reviews on YouTube) in hopes of keeping this Pixel 3a for quite some time. :happy
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

When an app I "need" won't run on it.

I bought my first not-smart analog cell phone circa 1989 when I had a long commute and wanted to be able to call for assistance if needed. Replaced it with a not-smart digital flip phone circa 2003 or so. First Android touchscreen phone maybe... 2008? I'm now on my third. It's only about two or three years old, I admit that I replaced the last one sooner than expected, I was... gulled... by a phone sold by TracFone that was only available with 8GB of internal storage which turned out not to be even close to enough...

So, three smartphones in about 15 years.

Just verified that my current phone supports VoLTE so that's OK.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP »

holycow007 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:40 pm Still using 2017 Pixel 2XLs between wife and I
Just be aware security updates are no longer occuring.

https://endoflife.date/pixel
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

Sometimes, only when they override what I am doing with it and begin to download without notification. This follows numerous prompts over several days about new updates being available.

Tim
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

Wife and I upgrade every 2 years or so on alternating schedules. Not out of necessity but rather I just like having newer phones. I think the phone is probably the single most used thing I own so it makes sense to me to stay on the newer side of things.

We pay about $400/yr for cell service +$600 or so for a new iPhone each year and that puts us at about $83/mo all in on cell service which certainly isn’t frugal but far better than what I see some other folks pay.
Topic Author
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

About 46 good replies so far. Results as follows by years between upgrades and % of respondents

2 13% - spenders who demand the latest technology
3 17% - 3 to 4 years is the sweet spot. Good technology but value preserved for trade-in or hand-down to hapless relatives.
4 17%
5 20% - upper limit for normal people
6+ 32% - probably 7-8 years. The frugality fanatics who don't care what they are missing. Perhaps not using smartphone features. Replace batteries, etc.
BH Consumer FAQ: | Car? Used Toyota, Lexus or Miata. | House? 20% down and 3x salary. | Vacation house? No. | Umbrella? $1 million. | Goods? Costco.
surfinagin

Post by surfinagin »

Currently at 4-1/2yrs on a Samsung S8.
I don't upgrade until there's an issue.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

afan wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:42 am
Rob5TCP wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:32 am I use predominantly Pixel phones. When the operating system and security updates end,
I upgrade.
Same for me. Replace when the security updates end.
Same here also, except I often upgrade sooner if there's a particularly good deal.

I just bought a new Pixel 6a for $449 less a $300 trade-in credit (net $149) on an old 3aXL I had kept as a back-up phone and thought was worth next to nothing. My last phone was a Pixel 4a that was 2-years old and is now our back-up phone. 3-years is more common for me.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
gavinsiu

Post by gavinsiu »

I upgrade when the following happens.
1. The security update runs out. On android, there is usually 3-5 years after the phone's release. Iphone are typically 5 years or longer.
2. The battery degrade to a point where I can't use it effectively. I have however pay a fee to update the battery if the phone is still usable and the cost isn't too extreme.
3. Software I used exceed the capability of the phone.
4. The phone physically gets destroyed.

Usually this mean I upgrade every 3 to 5 years.
DJZ

Post by DJZ »

About every three years, but the iPhone 13 pro is so good it's hard to imagine needing to upgrade it for many many years
xb7

Post by xb7 »

Security updates drive this for me, another reason I like Samsung phones --- they provide them for as long or generally longer than any other manufacturer. So about 5 years going forward; by this time of course there are tech advancements that I *might* want, battery issues from a not-easy-to-replace battery.

As time goes on it seems like everyone is doing more and more things on their phone, me included, so I want to make sure I can continue to get security updates.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

5-6 years. At 2-3 years, when the battery dies, I replace the battery. At 5-6 years, when the battery dies, I replace the phone.

I have an iPhone X that I bought in early 2018. I’m thinking of replacing it in the next six months because I broke the screen about a year ago, and I’m getting tired of looking at it that way. Also, I really want the newer camera. The phone still works fine in every other way, though.
brian91480

Post by brian91480 »

I don't understand why people upgrade phones so frequently.

Yay --- the resolution the new phone camera is 0.1% better than my current phone has -- here's $600 for the upgrade!

If the screen is cracked, or if the phone is malfunctioning, or if some other extreme thing is happening... replace the phone. Otherwise, it's just fine. 👍

-- Brian
mmcmonster

Post by mmcmonster »

snackdog wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:20 am Boglers,

I am on my first phone (iphone 11 pro), as of 2020. The previous 25 years my employer provided phone and service. At the 2 year mark I am still happy the phone, camera and storage. The battery is fading a bit but tolerable if I can plug it in during the afternoon. I am thinking 3 years might be the sweet spot for upgrades.

How often should I plan for a new and upgraded phone? I realize some of you will say "every year when the new iphones are announced" or "I still have my Blackberry!" I am looking for a middle of the road answer based on the experience of those who want to maximize life of their smart phone but not fall into total obsolescence. It is 2 years? 3 years? 5 years? Oh, and I prefer unlocked phones not tied to any plan or monthly payment.

Thanks
3-4 years seems to be the sweet spot for me.

iPhone models come out every year. Each year is generally minor incremental improvements compared to the previous year. If you upgrade every 3-4 years, you'll notice a lot of improvements and be more happy that you upgraded.

If you upgrade every year, the minor improvements will be nice but in general you may wish you had waited a bit longer.
Onlineid3089

Post by Onlineid3089 »

Typically every 2 years. I don't buy top of the line expensive phones though so even that cadence keeps it pretty reasonable on a cost per year basis.
dboeger1

Post by dboeger1 »

3-5 years, although I'd say it has more to do with my intended uses than any specific upgrade cadence. I've gone through cycles in my life between basically never needing a phone to using it extensively for many purposes. My desire to upgrade has more or less fallen around the 4-year-mark, but it's usually because I'll flip-fop between a budget phone that I don't need very much to something much snappier that I can rely on throughout the day.

I've been bitten by cheap phones throughout the years. They always work well enough when new, but with changes to software and filling up of storage, they tend to slow down pretty substantially within a few months to a year. Again, depending on what's going on in my life, that might be okay, and I've lived with phones like that for 3+ years. But for my most recent phone, we had just had a baby in addition to other life changes, and I just felt my time was too valuable to be struggling with a laggy phone right now. So I went with a more flagship product, the Galaxy S22, and it was worth every penny, as it just always works. My previous Moto x4, a budget phone from quite a few years ago, would occasionally lock up and need a full reboot, which is of course a big deal when doing things like car navigation, trying to clip a coupon while in line at the grocery store, checking important time-sensitive emails, etc.
JS-Elcano

Post by JS-Elcano »

d0gerz wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:35 pm
JS-Elcano wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:59 pm Only when I must.

The first SE didn't come out until 2016.
Yes, I mixed it up. There was some new iPhone and something with an *S*, but it was not the SE but the 4S.
vfinx

Post by vfinx »

I am bad, and upgrade every two years. The marketing gets to me. This last time it was the “pro motion” display on the iPhone 13 Pro that I really liked from my iPad Pro. In my defense the iPad is now 4 years old and I don’t anticipate upgrading it anytime soon. I hope there is nothing in the iPhone 14 that I find irresistible.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

brian91480 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:26 pm I don't understand why people upgrade phones so frequently.

Yay --- the resolution the new phone camera is 0.1% better than my current phone has -- here's $600 for the upgrade!

If the screen is cracked, or if the phone is malfunctioning, or if some other extreme thing is happening... replace the phone. Otherwise, it's just fine. 👍

-- Brian
Because they have to have the latest and greatest. We have family friends (a couple) who upgrade with every single new iteration of Iphone.
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

My current Samsung Galaxy is almost 4 years old. I play a lot of games on it and the battery needs recharge at least twice a day, if I play my games. I'm not planning to get a new one soon. I have a portable battery to charge the phone when I am outside. But it has been used rarely.
VictorStarr

Post by VictorStarr »

snackdog wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:20 am I am on my first phone (iphone 11 pro), as of 2020. The previous 25 years my employer provided phone and service. At the 2 year mark I am still happy the phone, camera and storage. The battery is fading a bit but tolerable if I can plug it in during the afternoon. I am thinking 3 years might be the sweet spot for upgrades.

How often should I plan for a new and upgraded phone? I realize some of you will say "every year when the new iphones are announced" or "I still have my Blackberry!" I am looking for a middle of the road answer based on the experience of those who want to maximize life of their smart phone but not fall into total obsolescence. It is 2 years? 3 years? 5 years? Oh, and I prefer unlocked phones not tied to any plan or monthly payment.
I upgrade every two years, I use my employer provided phone and unlimited service.
Before my current employer, I would buy an iPhone with AppleCare, and after 23 months (right before the end of AppleCare) I exchange it at the Apple store for a refurb iPhone and give it to one of my children and they will use it for another two years.
Depending on your needs I would keep an iPhone for 3-4 years and replace the battery after the second year.

With Android, the story is different, I will not buy an Android phone that does not receive OS and security updates. Google has a policy of supporting their Pixel phone for 4-5 years after release. In the last few years Samsung started providing long-term support for their phones too. I would keep high-end Google or Samsung phones for 3-4 years too.
Brianmcg321

Post by Brianmcg321 »

Whenever my company buys me a new one.
Rules to investing: | 1. Don't lose money. | 2. Don't forget rule number 1.
CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo »

snackdog wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:20 amI am on my first phone (iphone 11 pro), as of 2020. The previous 25 years my employer provided phone and service. At the 2 year mark I am still happy the phone, camera and storage. The battery is fading a bit but tolerable if I can plug it in during the afternoon. I am thinking 3 years might be the sweet spot for upgrades.

I guess it all depends on your particular usage and needs - not to mention budget.

iPhones have become mission critical work tools in our family for all of our jobs. Wife and I also utilize the fitness/health aspects of the combo watch and phone due to being cycling junkies. Prior to the past few years, it used to be we would upgrade about every 2 years after we made the switch from flips and droids to iPhones. Seems we have recently been upgrading every year (although we did skip the 11 Pro Max year).

We buy direct from Apple (pay in full) and trade in our previous model at Apple when we get a new one. Currently three of us are on 13 Pro Maxes and my spouse uses the 13 Pro as she didn't like the size of her previous 12 Pro Max due to her hand size.

In theory, the phones should last a good 4 - 5 years for most if one takes care of them well, but they are hand held electronic devices and lots of things can happen along the way. The utility of the device and amount we use them in our jobs as tools makes them more mission critical in our family, so we upgrade more often.

CyclingDuo
"Save like a pessimist, invest like an optimist." - Morgan Housel | "Pick a bushel, save a peck!" - Grandpa
wander

Post by wander »

I upgrade when the OS no longer gets updates. It's more about some of the Apps, that I normally use, stop working or require newer version to work.
TierArtz

Post by TierArtz »

No set schedule

1st one was a Samsung "pocket burner" (Galaxy 4?)
2nd one accidentally took a swim in a salt water pool (Galaxy 6?)

Switched to Apple

6S+ (2015, Costco/Verizon special - tax only and 2-year contract): worked great; had one battery change; got slow relative to new phones.

12 Pro Max (Dec 2020, cash, direct from Apple with $86 credit for old phone): love it; battery capacity is 99%; suffered a puncture to the main lens/cover; lens repair photo clarity result was sub-optimal.

May get a 14 Pro Max, or whatever the top end is, late in 2022 and gift the 12 to my youngest (7th grade) in a year or so.
Ron
Location: Allentown–Bethlehem–Easton, PA-NJ Metropolitan Statistical Area

Post by Ron »

Every 2-3 years. However my current phone (Samsung Fold3 5G) was purchased at the 1.5 year mark, trading in my S10e. The Fold3 is fantastic and is well worth the price I paid.

I upgraded my wife's S10e at the same time to an S21 5G, even though she often "borrows" mine due to the screen size.

- Ron
sawhorse

Post by sawhorse »

I got my first smartphone in 2014. It was a Samsung Galaxy Note 3. It had a removable battery. Whenever the battery lost significant capacity, I popped in a new one for $15.

I finally upgraded last year because the old phone operating system no longer supported a lot of the new apps. Unfortunately the new model doesn't have a removable battery. I understand why businesses practice planned obsolescence, but I detest the practice.
Beensabu

Post by Beensabu »

snackdog wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:20 am I prefer unlocked phones not tied to any plan or monthly payment.
Well, in that case... it just comes down to how often you want to pony up for a new unlocked iPhone, doesn't it?

Those aren't cheap. I could supply my whole family with new "good enough" laptops for the cost of a new iPhone.

But if the cost doesn't matter, then 3 years sounds reasonable.

I held onto an iPhone 3GS for an actual 9 years. I'm inordinately proud of that. I used it for calls, text, and map. Early last year, I upgraded to what may possibly be the worst android phone on the market. I use it for calls, texts, map, email notifications (news and the "fill out this form now" school stuff), and occasional internet browsing. I upgraded my SO off that terrible phone less than a year in. It was impossible for him. I'll probably hang onto mine for another year or two. It doesn't matter to me. It'll go into airplane mode while I'm on the phone and hang up on people for me on its own. I used to get annoyed, but now I think it might be a feature.

Anyway, if you like your phone and it still works fine and does all the things you want it to do, then it's fine. And once you don't or it doesn't, then you get a new one. Yeah?
"The only thing that makes life possible is permanent, intolerable uncertainty; not knowing what comes next." ~Ursula LeGuin
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Typically every two years because I experience a significant decline in the battery. I have had a Pixel 3xl for almost 4 years now and it still works well. The issue (if it is a big issue) is it no longer gets security updates so I will probably get a new phone by the end of the year.

I once replaced a battery with one ordered on Amazon. It wasn't super easy because it involved opening the phone which was not really made to be opened by the user. The new battery didn't work that well. I suspect it was not an OEM battery as it was advertised.
valleyrock

Post by valleyrock »

My Pixel 6 is supposed to have guaranteed updates for 5 years. Fingers crossed the battery holds up.

For my kids, who can be brutal with phones, I've had good luck buying older iPhones from Gazelle.
stocknoob4111

Post by stocknoob4111 »

I got my Pixel 3XL in Dec 2018 so may be time for an upgrade, battery life has been suffering lately but otherwise it works just fine although it hasn't been getting security updates since last Nov.
Colorado Guy

Post by Colorado Guy »

stocknoob4111 wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:17 am I got my Pixel 3XL in Dec 2018 so may be time for an upgrade, battery life has been suffering lately but otherwise it works just fine although it hasn't been getting security updates since last Nov.
Got my Android Note 9 also in 2018. Battery life is starting to fade, and the cracked screen is slowly getting worse. Will hold out if possible until next spring so I can buy "last year's" 2022 phone a little cheaper, but may not be able to. Previously had needed a flagship phone for work related purposes, but as a retireee, not so much, even though am addicted to the larger screens (am peaking at the Samsung folding phones at a cost of at least 4 non-flagship phones).
FireProof

Post by FireProof »

If I get a hand-me down that's better (from sister, wife, etc.) Never had a problem with a phone getting too old, but I don't use it much (occasional texts, reserving Citibikes and the like)