Xfinity autopay and paperless billing discount: routing number for credit card

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
student

Xfinity autopay and paperless billing discount: routing number for credit card

Post by student »

I used to get $10 for Xfinity autopay and paperless billing discount. Last month my contract was up, so I made adjustments. And now I only get $5 discount. The agent said to get $10 discount, I need the account number and routing number. I told her that credit card has no routing number, assuming that they want to take money from a checking account. She insisted that credit card has one, even American Express. So I stopped arguing. Is she right?
Last edited by student on Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
samsoes

Re: Xfinity autopay and paperless billing discount

Post by samsoes »

Nope.
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)
Topic Author
student

Post by student »

samsoes wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:46 pmNope.
She was so sure of herself. I figured that no point in arguing...
Topic Author
student

Re: Xfinity autopay and paperless billing discount: routing number for credit card

Post by student »

It seems that Xfinity is trying to give us less with the new policy that I found in https://forums.xfinity.com/conversation ... 6353ae8b64

The discount amount amount differs based on the payment type for recurring payments:

$10 for bank payments (ACH)
$5 for credit card payments.

I am not going to change to ACH.
samsoes

Post by samsoes »

student wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:48 pm
samsoes wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:46 pmNope.
She was so sure of herself. I figured that no point in arguing...
In a situation like that, the best thing to is hang up and call back and get somebody else. Preferably someone better trained.
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)
samsoes

Re: Xfinity autopay and paperless billing discount: routing number for credit card

Post by samsoes »

student wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:50 pm It seems that Xfinity is trying to give us less with the new policy that I found in https://forums.xfinity.com/conversation ... 6353ae8b64

The discount amount amount differs based on the payment type for recurring payments:

I would never trust the Evil Empire to do automatic credit card payments. Automatic ACH payments are absolutely out of the question
Marylander1

Post by Marylander1 »

Of all the companies to NOT trust to execute auto-payments in a benign manner, Comcast is at the top of the list, along with Equifax, Spirit Airlines, Wells Fargo, and your local furniture store that's had a going out of business sale for the past 11 years.
Last edited by Marylander1 on Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
student

Post by student »

Xfinity has been giving me less. I have Xfinity voice. It used to have a texting feature but they removed it 2 years ago.

Edit: Typo correction.
Last edited by student on Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
frugalor

Post by frugalor »

I just signed up for xfinity. And I have set up auto pay.

If I use paypal to prepay to get some extra credit card rewards, would the xfinity $10 discount still apply?
Random Poster

Post by Random Poster »

student wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:50 pm It seems that Xfinity is trying to give us less with the new policy that I found in https://forums.xfinity.com/conversation ... 6353ae8b64

Note, though, that the $5 credit card autopay discount is only for the next 5 months. After March (I think), there is no autopay discount unless you do ACH.
Most experiences are better imagined.
Topic Author
student

Post by student »

Random Poster wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:00 pm

Note, though, that the $5 credit card autopay discount is only for the next 5 months. After March (I think), there is no autopay discount unless you do ACH.
Getting less all the time.

Post by 123 »

An alternate voice here. We been doing paperless billing and autopay with ACH with Xfinity for over 10 years without a problem. We change Xfinity services once every year or two as promotions run out. They send clear and timely notices about billing expected and after each billing is collected so we have no problem monitoring our bank account, we even maintain a check register including autopays, very old school. Works really well as long as you conscientiously read the emails.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
Topic Author
student

Post by student »

123 wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:18 pm An alternate voice here. We been doing paperless billing and autopay with ACH with Xfinity for over 10 years without a problem. We change Xfinity services once every year or two as promotions run out. They send clear and timely notices about billing expected and after each billing is collected so we have no problem monitoring our bank account, we even maintain a check register including autopays, very old school. Works really well as long as you conscientiously read the emails.
I read the emails that they send me. In fact, I have them route to two different addresses so that I won't miss them. I did not get the notice about the reduction of autopay discount at the time, as there was no notice to give. I was under the old plan and I had the $10 discount, and there were no issues. The $10 was changed to $5 only after I changed plan, as the promotion had ended. My original message in this thread was that I believed the CS agent was giving me nonsense, and wanted to check with others. My latest comment simply addressed that Xfinity is offering us less for the money.
FIRWYW

Post by FIRWYW »

I would NEVER give xfinity ability to do autopay again. When they raised rates on us a couple years ago, cancelled account and resigned up in spouses name to get discount. Wasn’t paying enough attention to transactions and a year later realized they had been charging us twice for the whole year. Took almost 3 months and a trip to their store refusing to leave until I talked to the head manager and being vocal enough for other customers to hear to get anything refunded. another time they were trying to charge us for modem rental (we own our own modem). Definitely not worth the risk for $5/month discount.
teasypee

Post by teasypee »

I use a temporary number from my Capital One credit card. This allows me to turn the card off and not affect my "real" card. So far no issues, but I share the apprehension of trusting Xfinity.....
andypanda

Post by andypanda »

I let them take the payment from one of my checking accounts. They notify me well in advance.

Let's see, I received an email notification on 10/29 giving me the bill amount and the payment date of 11/27. They haven't messed it up since I set it up last November.
czaj

Post by czaj »

I think a loophole to pay by credit card and still receive the autopay discount is to set up autopay with the checking account, but prepay using a credit card before the autopay date.
Topic Author
student

Post by student »

czaj wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:57 am I think a loophole to pay by credit card and still receive the autopay discount is to set up autopay with the checking account, but prepay using a credit card before the autopay date.
Sneaky. I like it.
pakle

Post by pakle »

I have the $10/month Autopay & Paperless billing discount and my 2-yr internet contract is up today. I'm going to call them next week to sign up for another 2-yr contract for better rates. Can I continue the $10/mo discount (for Autopay through bank debit & Paperless billing) or do I have to cancel both of those now before I call? Do they need to see it's not already on the account to get the discount for a new contract?
Topic Author
student

Post by student »

pakle wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:46 pm I have the $10/month Autopay & Paperless billing discount and my 2-yr internet contract is up today. I'm going to call them next week to sign up for another 2-yr contract for better rates. Can I continue the $10/mo discount (for Autopay through bank debit & Paperless billing) or do I have to cancel both of those now before I call? Do they need to see it's not already on the account to get the discount for a new contract?
What happened to was after the contract was up, the $10/mo discount was reduced.

Edit: In my case, it was reduced due to credit card.
Last edited by student on Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
tortoise84

Post by tortoise84 »

pakle wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:46 pm I have the $10/month Autopay & Paperless billing discount and my 2-yr internet contract is up today. I'm going to call them next week to sign up for another 2-yr contract for better rates. Can I continue the $10/mo discount (for Autopay through bank debit & Paperless billing) or do I have to cancel both of those now before I call? Do they need to see it's not already on the account to get the discount for a new contract?
I think you should leave autopay active because most deals include the $10 autopay from a checking account discount as part of the quoted price. If you remove it, then it can take 1 or 2 billing cycles before they reactivate the discount.

E.g. this is what my account says if I upgrade to Connect More 200 Mbps:

INTERNET
Connect More $82.00/mo
1-year term contract

Term contract discount −$32.00/mo
Customer Owned Equipment $0.00/mo
Minimum Term Contract Included
Autopay & Paperless discount −$10.00/mo
With bank account

XFINITY RESIDENTIAL TAXES
Monthly plan tax $0.00/mo
SHIPPING & INSTALLATION
Installation Add later
Estimated monthly total $40.00/mo
SimonJester

Post by SimonJester »

I have had the $10 discount for auto pay / paperless bulling for many years as well. This discount was just reduced to $5. Many will see this when their "contract" expires. I went online and chatted with an agent that was able to get me a new discount signing up for another 12 month contract. They of course wanted me to sign up for mobile service which I declined, then offered a faster speed at yet a higher price which I also declined. Then then "found" a discount that ended up being $5 cheaper then what I was paying before their newest price increase and cutting the auto pay discount in 1/2... I think next year I will cancel service and have my wife sign up as a new customer to get a real discount...
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
Topic Author
student

Post by student »

SimonJester wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 5:42 pm I have had the $10 discount for auto pay / paperless bulling for many years as well. This discount was just reduced to $5. Many will see this when their "contract" expires. I went online and chatted with an agent that was able to get me a new discount signing up for another 12 month contract. They of course wanted me to sign up for mobile service which I declined, then offered a faster speed at yet a higher price which I also declined. Then then "found" a discount that ended up being $5 cheaper then what I was paying before their newest price increase and cutting the auto pay discount in 1/2... I think next year I will cancel service and have my wife sign up as a new customer to get a real discount...
They are trying to wearing us down. I have thrown in the white towel.
elvistcb

Post by elvistcb »

Thanks for this great idea. I have a 5% cash back credit card I use and hate to give it up.

I just set up bank account with the them. It just so happens I picked an account I plan to close after I get the 1099 I’m waiting for. 🤣 🤷‍♂️ I would never trust giving them a main account!
czaj wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:57 am I think a loophole to pay by credit card and still receive the autopay discount is to set up autopay with the checking account, but prepay using a credit card before the autopay date.