Do you vacuum your mattress?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
bottlecap

Re: Do you vacuum your mattress?

Post by bottlecap »

JupiterJones wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:47 am The things I learn on this forum. People running around with no belts, vacuuming mattresses...
Lol! And you're not vacuuming your mattress with the Dyson Nitro 4000, well, you're not vacuuming your mattress at all. Let that sink in for a bit.

JT
Topic Author
PeninsulaPerson

Post by PeninsulaPerson »

Well - that was a waste of time and effort. I should have remembered that my husband and I are from a faraway-faraway planet and we don't have skin to shed ... :wink: .

For the record, I vacuumed the mattress cover, the My Pillow topper and the mattress itself. Came away with a very small amount of whatever it was, dusty dust - about the size of one of those small blue bird's eggs ... :?. Jeeps, but I get 50 times that when I vacuum around my cat's lair!

Thinking maybe I'll vacuum the mattress again in another 18 years! Or not!
Topic Author
PeninsulaPerson

cheese_breath wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:10 pm

You say you're laying directly on all that horrible dead skin, and the rest of you isn't dead yet? :P

Maybe that's it!
:)
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

PeninsulaPerson wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:48 am Well - that was a waste of time and effort. I should have remembered that my husband and I are from a faraway-faraway planet and we don't have skin to shed ... :wink: .

For the record, I vacuumed the mattress cover, the My Pillow topper and the mattress itself. Came away with a very small amount of whatever it was, dusty dust - about the size of one of those small blue bird's eggs ... :?. Jeeps, but I get 50 times that when I vacuum around my cat's lair!

Thinking maybe I'll vacuum the mattress again in another 18 years! Or not!
Now THIS is news we can use!
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

Never heard of it or thought of it, but will try it. Can’t hurt.
Topic Author
PeninsulaPerson

DarkMatter731 wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:50 pm

Do people not get new mattresses very often?

Your mattress is only a few years younger than I am.

I would be the very first one to get a new mattress if I thought I needed one. But the mattress we have is still going strong - judging by the fact that we both get great nights' sleep. So I figure that's some goodly amount of $$$ still in my pocket.

(My husband and I had been planning to go check out new mattresses later this spring, but more out of curiosity and a desire to get out of the house than any burning desire to buy a new mattress. Also because we got curious about a local furniture store's supposedly "scientific" mattress-to-person matching method.)

(P.S. Talking to a neighbor the other day, she and I realized how many things we have and still use that are more then 20 years old. I have one sweater I love and get compliments on all the time. So does she! Don't know if it's because the years start winging by or what, but I suspect that when you're 40, 50, 60, etc., you too may be surprised at the things you still have, use and love. Oh, and how very fast those years flew!)
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

Jags4186 wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:56 pm I would think 10 years is the minimum a decent mattress should last.

7-15 years is the normal range but there is lot of variation with things like weight (i.e. 250lbs versus 125) and materials. Sometimes the wear is obvious (i.e. the dent) but some of it is more subtle as things like foam harden over time. Honestly I would probably replace mine more often if shopping didn't feel like such a crap shoot. I did find I sleep a bit better when I replaced my 20 year old mattress but trying to figure out which mattress was right felt like a total guessing game.
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

Until I read this thread, I never thought about doing this. So today, when I removed the nice thick mattress pad to wash it, I vacuumed the mattress with the upholstery beater brush attachment, all the while, my new cat, who is not afraid of the vacuum cleaner watched with amusement from atop the dresser.

Begs the question, if there is a mattress pad, does one still vacuum the mattress?
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
homebuyer6426

Post by homebuyer6426 »

Have never vacuumed a mattress or used a protector. Just a fitted sheet. And if there is a stain, sometimes a mild cleaning product.

I do rotate it during every change of sheet.

I like spring mattresses. Had one last more than 20 years.
43% Total Stock Market | 53% Consumer Staples | 4% Short Term Reserves
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

My mother, the cleanest, tidiest, most OCD person I ever met, never vacuumed the mattresses. She washed the mattress pads regularly, but did not vacuum.

If she didn’t feel the need, I don’t feel the need either.
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

We have a King size Englander mattress - always sleep well on it since 1992. The preceding King size mattress after 1 year use gave us body aches. We never vaccumed it, but that will change next week. I will have hip joint replacement surgery with being home the evening after that surgery. I have to make sure that nothing will get from the mattress into my fresh wound while sleeping on it.
Saving$

Post by Saving$ »

jemaz wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:43 am This is something I never have worried about and never will. I would never even think about vacuuming my mattress much less actually do it. This is nuts.

UPDATE -- Apparently, this is not as crazy as I first thought. My wife said we (she) actually does this and informed me you don't actually put the vacuum on top of the mattress as if it were the floor (which I pictured in my head), but you use the hose and proper attachment. Makes perfect sense, so I withdraw my initial reaction.
Thank you for this clarification. I also pictured the same thing you initially pictured.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

Old thread but I did not catch it first time around.
We simply wash the mattress cover (even though it always looks clean).
I will prioritize this alongside "washing the outside trash cans" - something else I recently learned some here do (or better yet - pay someone to do for them) that I have never done.
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

8foot7 wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:48 pm
JoeRetire wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:31 pm Other than that just the usual: no food/drink in bed.
But...George?
Pastrami - The Most Sensual Of All The Salted Cured Meats
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | viewtopic.php?p=1139732#p1139732
eddot98

Post by eddot98 »

Amusing thread to say the least. We don’t vacuum our mattresses, but have fitted mattress pads on both the mattresses and the box springs
Who vacuums window treatments, i.e. drapes, curtains, cellular shades, blinds, etc.? More than 20 years ago a friend’s mother was horrified when my friend told her that he had an upright vacuum without a hose attachment. Her question “how to you vacuum your drapes?”
There are just so many things to clean in an average dwelling unit that one could spend their whole day cleaning only to have to start over the next day.
homebuyer6426

Post by homebuyer6426 »

eddot98 wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:16 pm “how to you vacuum your drapes?”
Washing machine
43% Total Stock Market | 53% Consumer Staples | 4% Short Term Reserves
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

Best practice is to vacuum up the dust mite and dust mite feces when washing sheets.

BH Consumer FAQ: | Car? Used Toyota, Lexus or Miata. | House? 20% down and 3x salary. | Vacation house? No. | Umbrella? $1 million. | Goods? Costco.
Yaquiway

Post by Yaquiway »

This reminds me of when I was dating my wife, an ear nose throat surgeon. She noticed that one of my nostrils collapsed a bit when I inhaled through my nose.
She said “ you have incompetent alar cartilage on one side, you should get that fixed”.
“Why?” I said.
“ You could breathe better through your nose”.
I replied “but it’s been working fine for 40 years”.
Still not “fixed” at 58 and still breathing through it.
People are funny. Don’t look for trouble. I tell my patients that all the time when recommending against brain surgery. Most appreciate it.
BogleFanGal

Post by BogleFanGal »

cheese_breath wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:18 pm
PeninsulaPerson wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:07 pm Yup - that's it - vacuuming the actual mattress. (Our bedframe is on the floor, so we have no "under the bed".)

My husband and I are thinking of checking out new mattresses this Spring because we know our current mattress is technically old...
I think someone inferred this above... "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Don't waste your money if the current one is doing the job.
Everyone pushes you to get a new mattress after a certain time. Yet I read posts from so many frustrated people on Mattress Underground and Sleep Like The Dead who have sunk days or weeks of their lives into learning about mattresses, trying multiple models in stores and/or online with all the back and forth returns.

I've heard quite a few say they're sick of the process and wish they just stuck with what they had. They experienced no pain, no issues and slept fine until someone convinced them it was time to buy another just because it was "too old".

I wasted a lot of time looking myself, but decided to kick the can further down the road by just keeping what I have for now.
rossington

Post by rossington »

snackdog wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:36 am Best practice is to vacuum up the dust mite and dust mite feces when washing sheets.

1) What about the rest of the house and microscopic bugs are we in danger?

2) Is sleeping on the couch over the years something I should be concerned about?

3) What happens to the dust mites in a guest bed that hasn't been slept in for a while?
"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." Winston Churchill.
Topic Author
PeninsulaPerson

It's the dust bunnies that I worry about .. :) !

Where do they come from?

How do they grow so large?!!

(Oh, gosh - don't even get me thinking about the couch! I do remove the cushions now and again and vacuum the couch. That always seems like it's worth the time, unlike vacuuming the mattress!)
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

rossington wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 3:22 am
snackdog wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:36 am Best practice is to vacuum up the dust mite and dust mite feces when washing sheets.

1) What about the rest of the house and microscopic bugs are we in danger?

2) Is sleeping on the couch over the years something I should be concerned about?

3) What happens to the dust mites in a guest bed that hasn't been slept in for a while?
1) the rest of the house should be cleaned as well including floors and furniture
2) the couch should be cleaned regularly
3) best to clean the guest bed sheets and vacuum mattress before and after each guest
BH Consumer FAQ: | Car? Used Toyota, Lexus or Miata. | House? 20% down and 3x salary. | Vacation house? No. | Umbrella? $1 million. | Goods? Costco.