Translating 401k choices to the 3-fund approach

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
jbogler

Translating 401k choices to the 3-fund approach

Post by jbogler »

I am 48 years old and have been contributing to a 401k for 7 years. I have 180k divided between 2 funds @ (85/15):
Stock: Vanguard Institutional Index Trust (MARVI) - 85%
Bonds: BlackRock US Debt Index Fund M (DEBTM) - 15%

I would like to invest in passively managed index funds and would like to get as close to the 3 fund approach (VTSAX, VTIAX, VBTLX) as possible using the choices I am given from the company. Is there anyone that could make sense out of the offerings and direct me to which funds most closely mirror the Vanguard 3 fund approach?

I would be happy to provide more information, if needed. I was not able to find a lot of the ticker symbols on morningstar, etc. I dont feel comfortable investing my money in funds that I am not familiar with. Thank you for your time.

The company offers the 401k choices listed below:

BONDS:
BlackRock US Treasury Inf Prot Sec M (TIPSM)
TCW MetWest Total Return Bond C (SEI90)
BlackRock US Debt Index Fund M (DEBTM)
Eaton Vance Income Fund of Boston I (EIBIX)
BNY Mellon Global Fixed Income - I (SDGIX)

STOCKS:
PIMCO All Asset Instl (PAAIX)
Wealth Preservation Strategy - Cnsrv I (WPSTC)
Wealth Preservation Strategy - Mod I (WPSTM)
Wealth Preservation Strategy - Growth I (WPSTG)
Vanguard Institutional Index Trust (MARVI)
DWS RREEF Global Infrastructure Inst (TOLIX)
Vanguard Extended Market Trust (MAREM)

International:
Vanguard Instl Ttl Intl Stck Mkt Idx Tr (MARTI)
American Funds Europacific Growth R6 (RERGX)
Topic Author
jbogler

Stock/Bond Allocation needs to be adjusted to age

Post by jbogler »

[Thread merged into here --admin LadyGeek]

I have:
Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund Admiral Shares @ 85%
Vanguard Total Bond Market Index Fund Admiral Shares @ 15%

I am 48 years old and want to get them to a more age appropriate allocation and keep them there. No, I wont move them back when the market rebounds :). I understand the discipline and will stick to it. I have just let it run for too long at the aggresive allocation. Now that we are all taking losses due to the down market, will I be hurting myself more by shifting to a 70/30 stock/bond allocation now vs waiting until the market rebounds? I would like to just shift the allocation and be done with it until my next age adjustment.

Does anyone see any reason why I should not shift it to 70/30 now? I understand some may take issue with my age and the 70/30, but that is not what I am searching for an answer on at this time. I just want to know if I incur additional losses by moving the allocation when the market is down?

Thanks for your time.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Translating 401k choices to the 3-fund approach

Post by LadyGeek »

Welcome! In order to provide appropriate advice, it's best to keep all the information in one spot. I merged your second thread back into the first. If you have any questions, ask them here.

May I suggest you create a new post in this thread ("Post Reply") with your portfolio information in the Asking Portfolio Questions format? It will make you think about the "big picture" while giving us the information we need to point you in the right direction.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
retired@50

Post by retired@50 »

jbogler wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:44 pm I am 48 years old and have been contributing to a 401k for 7 years. I have 180k divided between 2 funds @ (85/15):

I would like to invest in passively managed index funds and would like to get as close to the 3 fund approach (VTSAX, VTIAX, VBTLX) as possible using the choices I am given from the company. Is there anyone that could make sense out of the offerings and direct me to which funds most closely mirror the Vanguard 3 fund approach?

I would be happy to provide more information, if needed. I was not able to find a lot of the ticker symbols on morningstar, etc. I dont feel comfortable investing my money in funds that I am not familiar with. Thank you for your time.

BONDS:

STOCKS:

International:
To slightly rework your current asset allocation to include international stock and small cap and mid cap stock you could use the Extended Market Index and the Total International Stock Index in addition to the two funds you're already using.

To maintain an 85% stock / 15% bond mix, it might look like this...
25% Vanguard Institutional Total International Stock Market Index
12% Vanguard Extended Market Index
15% Blackrock US Debt Index
48% Vanguard Institutional Index

The above mix makes 30% of your stock holdings international.

When combined, the Extended Market Index and the Vanguard Institutional Index, make up the Total US Stock market.
They are usually combined in an 80%/20% mix to mimic the US stock market.

Regards,
If liberty means anything at all it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. -George Orwell
Topic Author
jbogler

Post by jbogler »

"When combined, the Extended Market Index and the Vanguard Institutional Index, make up the Total US Stock market.
They are usually combined in an 80%/20% mix to mimic the US stock market."

This is just the information I was looking for -- some confidence that I am as close to a US index fund as possible. Thank you.

Do you feel this is an appropriate bond fund representative of the total US bond market? BlackRock US Debt Index Fund M (DEBTM)

Thanks.
Topic Author
jbogler

Post by jbogler »

retired@50 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:35 pm
jbogler wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:44 pm I am 48 years old and have been contributing to a 401k for 7 years. I have 180k divided between 2 funds @ (85/15):

BONDS:

STOCKS:

International:
To slightly rework your current asset allocation to include international stock and small cap and mid cap stock you could use the Extended Market Index and the Total International Stock Index in addition to the two funds you're already using.

To maintain an 85% stock / 15% bond mix, it might look like this...
25% Vanguard Institutional Total International Stock Market Index
12% Vanguard Extended Market Index
15% Blackrock US Debt Index
48% Vanguard Institutional Index

The above mix makes 30% of your stock holdings international.

When combined, the Extended Market Index and the Vanguard Institutional Index, make up the Total US Stock market.
They are usually combined in an 80%/20% mix to mimic the US stock market.

Regards,
"When combined, the Extended Market Index and the Vanguard Institutional Index, make up the Total US Stock market.
They are usually combined in an 80%/20% mix to mimic the US stock market."

This is just the information I was looking for -- some confidence that I am as close to a US index fund as possible. Thank you.

Do you feel this is an appropriate bond fund representative of the total US bond market? BlackRock US Debt Index Fund M (DEBTM)

Thanks.
Topic Author
jbogler

Post by jbogler »

LadyGeek wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:30 pm Welcome! In order to provide appropriate advice, it's best to keep all the information in one spot. I merged your second thread back into the first. If you have any questions, ask them here.

May I suggest you create a new post in this thread ("Post Reply") with your portfolio information in the Asking Portfolio Questions format? It will make you think about the "big picture" while giving us the information we need to point you in the right direction.
The topics seemed to me as separate issues, so I thought they should get their own threads. I am not sure people will know that I am looking for info on moving asset allocations during a bear market when it is nested under a different thread title.
retired@50

Re: Stock/Bond Allocation needs to be adjusted to age

Post by retired@50 »

jbogler wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:56 pm
Does anyone see any reason why I should not shift it to 70/30 now?
I don't have any reason. 70/30 does seem more appropriate for your age, at least it does to me.

I think you should own the allocation you want, especially if you can just make the adjustment in your 401k plan without any tax consequences.

For more on asset allocation consider these resources:

Wiki page: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Asset_allocation

Vanguard Investor Questionnaire, which will suggest an allocation upon finishing the questions.
https://retirementplans.vanguard.com/VG ... Step=start

Some people find these sorts of quizzes useful, some don't.

P.S. To adjust the 4 funds in your 401k to 70% stock / 30% bond it would look something like...
30% Blackrock US Debt Index
21% International Stock Index
10% Extended Market Index
39% Institutional Index

Regards,
If liberty means anything at all it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. -George Orwell
retired@50

Post by retired@50 »

jbogler wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:13 pm Do you feel this is an appropriate bond fund representative of the total US bond market? BlackRock US Debt Index Fund M (DEBTM)
As far as I can tell, yes, it's a decent total US bond market fund.

If your 401k website has a fact sheet or PDF you can link, the forum members will be able to comment more effectively.

Regards,
telemark

Post by telemark »

The Blackrock fund tracks the Bloomberg Barclays U.S. Aggregate Bond Index, and VBTLX tracks the Bloomberg U.S. Aggregate Float Adjusted Index. This makes them nearly identical in my opinion: the difference is too small to measure and it isn't clear, if one of them might be better in the future, which one that would be.

You should also check the expense ratios for all of these funds: it's likely that your choices are reasonably priced, but sometimes 401K plans have hidden surprises.

P.S. For more detail on the two indexes, you can look at this thread.
Topic Author
jbogler

Post by jbogler »

retired@50 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:46 pm
jbogler wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:13 pm Do you feel this is an appropriate bond fund representative of the total US bond market? BlackRock US Debt Index Fund M (DEBTM)
As far as I can tell, yes, it's a decent total US bond market fund.

If your 401k website has a fact sheet or PDF you can link, the forum members will be able to comment more effectively.

Regards,
The pdf is locked behind authentication. Cant seem to find it on the Black Rock website.

It states the Comparative Market Index as: Bloomberg US Agg Bond TR. It has an expense ratio of 0.03%, which is good.
Topic Author
jbogler

Post by jbogler »

telemark wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:33 am The Blackrock fund tracks the Bloomberg Barclays U.S. Aggregate Bond Index, and VBTLX tracks the Bloomberg U.S. Aggregate Float Adjusted Index. This makes them nearly identical in my opinion: the difference is too small to measure and it isn't clear, if one of them might be better in the future, which one that would be.

You should also check the expense ratios for all of these funds: it's likely that your choices are reasonably priced, but sometimes 401K plans have hidden surprises.

P.S. For more detail on the two indexes, you can look at this thread.
Thanks for your insight. It states the Comparative Market Index as: Bloomberg US Agg Bond TR. It has an expense ratio of 0.03%, which is good.

I cant access the prospectus online without logging in to the retirement account, I dont see a way to upload a pdf here to the thread. So that is about all the information I can provide.
Topic Author
jbogler

Post by jbogler »

retired@50 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:34 pm
I don't have any reason. 70/30 does seem more appropriate for your age, at least it does to me.

I think you should own the allocation you want, especially if you can just make the adjustment in your 401k plan without any tax consequences.

Vanguard Investor Questionnaire, which will suggest an allocation upon finishing the questions.

P.S. To adjust the 4 funds in your 401k to 70% stock / 30% bond it would look something like...
39% Institutional Index

Regards,
I am in agreement that 70/30 is more appropriate. My question is more of the timing of the re-balancing. Do you lose more by re-balancing in the bear market rather than wait for the market to rebound before re-balancing. Point being, I am selling off stocks when their share price is depressed -- may be selling low (stocks) and buying high (bonds)?
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

BONDS:

STOCKS:

International:
A three-fund portfolio closely matching VTSAX, VTIAX and VBTLX would be:
1) Vanguard Institutional Index Trust (MARVI), possibly with some
Vanguard Extended Market Trust (MAREM);
2) Vanguard Instl Ttl Intl Stck Mkt Idx Tr (MARTI); and
3) BlackRock US Debt Index Fund M (DEBTM).

Those are not ticker symbols, the funds are Collective Investment Trusts which do not have tickers.

Vanguard Institutional Index Trust is an S&P 500 index fund, which covers over 80% of the U.S.stock market investing in stocks of selected large-cap and mid-cap U.S. companies. . In the 30 years since the creation of the first total stock market index fund the two types of funds have had almost identical performance. Portfolio Visualizer, 1993-2022.

If you want to add some Vanguard Extended Market Trust (MAREM), then an 82/18 mix of S&P 500/extended market index funds will mimic the content of total stock market index fund. Wiki article Approximating total stock market. In my opinion this is not necessary, it is optional of you prefer to do this.

BlackRock US Debt Index Fund tracks the Bloomberg Barclays U.S. Aggregate Bond Index, similar to Vanguard Total Bond Market Index Fund VBTLX) which tracks the Bloomberg Barclays U.S. Aggregate Float Adjusted Bond Index.

Once you have decided on the funds to use and the desired asset allocation than I suggest that you make the change all are once. Switch both the existing balance and the ongoing contributions, I see no benefit in stringing out the process.
Last edited by ruralavalon on Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
retired@50

Post by retired@50 »

jbogler wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:05 pm

39% Institutional Index

Regards,
I am in agreement that 70/30 is more appropriate. My question is more of the timing of the re-balancing. Do you lose more by re-balancing in the bear market rather than wait for the market to rebound before re-balancing. Point being, I am selling off stocks when their share price is depressed -- may be selling low (stocks) and buying high (bonds)?
Bonds are also down this year (around -10% or -11%), just not as much as stocks (around -14% to -20%) depending on which types of bond funds and stock funds you're holding.

If you're willing to take some time to accomplish the 70/30 mix, you could just switch your future contributions to favor bonds (more than stocks) which would help nudge your portfolio toward 80/20 ... then toward 75/25 ... then toward 70/30. If you don't want to take too much time to accomplish this, then you'd be forced to sell some of the stock funds before they've recovered from the current downward trend. There's no perfect answer to this dilemma.

Regards,
Topic Author
jbogler

Post by jbogler »

retired@50 wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:18 pm
jbogler wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:05 pm

39% Institutional Index

Regards,
Bonds are also down this year (around -10% or -11%), just not as much as stocks (around -14% to -20%) depending on which types of bond funds and stock funds you're holding.

If you're willing to take some time to accomplish the 70/30 mix, you could just switch your future contributions to favor bonds (more than stocks) which would help nudge your portfolio toward 80/20 ... then toward 75/25 ... then toward 70/30. If you don't want to take too much time to accomplish this, then you'd be forced to sell some of the stock funds before they've recovered from the current downward trend. There's no perfect answer to this dilemma.

Regards,
Perfect. I had not considered that option and not sure that I have it, but will verify. I much prefer redirecting my future contributions to bonds and retaining my stock shares. Thanks.
Topic Author
jbogler

Post by jbogler »

ruralavalon wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:12 pm

BONDS:

STOCKS:

International:
A three-fund portfolio closely matching VTSAX, VTIAX and VBTLX would be:
1) Vanguard Institutional Index Trust (MARVI), possibly with some
Vanguard Extended Market Trust (MAREM);
2) Vanguard Instl Ttl Intl Stck Mkt Idx Tr (MARTI); and
3) BlackRock US Debt Index Fund M (DEBTM).

Those are not ticker symbols, the funds are Collective Investment Trusts which do not have tickers.

Vanguard Institutional Index Trust is an S&P 500 index fund, which covers over 80% of the U.S.stock market investing in stocks of selected large-cap and mid-cap U.S. companies. . In the 30 years since the creation of the first total stock market index fund the two types of funds have had almost identical performance. Portfolio Visualizer, 1993-2022.

If you want to add some Vanguard Extended Market Trust (MAREM), then an 82/18 mix of S&P 500/extended market index funds will mimic the content of total stock market index fund. Wiki article Approximating total stock market. In my opinion this is not necessary, it is optional of you prefer to do this.

BlackRock US Debt Index Fund tracks the Bloomberg Barclays U.S. Aggregate Bond Index, similar to Vanguard Total Bond Market Index Fund VBTLX) which tracks the Bloomberg Barclays U.S. Aggregate Float Adjusted Bond Index.

Once you have decided on the funds to use and the desired asset allocation than I suggest that you make the change all are once. Switch both the existing balance and the ongoing contributions, I see no benefit in stringing out the process.
Thanks for this, between your reply and retired@50's, I feel comfortable now that I haven't wasted my time and guessed correctly on the funds. I did decide to add in the market index fund for good measure and feel comfortable that this is a good enough fund mix and let it ride.

Thanks for clearing up my confusion on the ticker symbols.